Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Utnayan posted:

Very correct. Or a purchasing decision on which platform to buy it on.

This happens constantly. But when thousands of people see purchasing 600 dollar video cards based on bullshit that they will get a better experience, that's an issue for me. With the current trend and the common denominator development just buy a console and have the same experience as you would plunking down 1600 for a custom built PC that won't have any advantages.

The PC version is going to look better than the console versions. You're still an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

megalodong posted:

please don't respond to the guy who obsessively stalks mmo devs.

Ah, you were right. I should have looked at his rap sheet first.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I don't remember if I asked this in the other thread, but does anyone know how much of the game you can play as with the girl character? She looks cool

Speaking of, how old is Ciri supposed to be? Was she still a teenager or something the last time Geralt sees her in the books?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

VarXX posted:

Yea, fixed it. The most obvious changes are the increased vegetation but the ambient occlusion seems better and the shadows can be seen further out.

edit: here's another on ultra from 1.0, I don't have anything to compare it to offhand though

PNG version here

I'm totally gonna make Geralt jump over that railing. It's just too tempting.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Oh my god is this thread going to turn to poo poo again.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Joink posted:

Wheres the cheapest place to order this game?

I got my gog key for 20 bucks off eBay but that was about a month ago. Most keys were selling for around 25 back then.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

THE GAME IS NOT "OUT NOW" WHY DO YOU KEEP LYING TO US COMTE

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Naky posted:

I can't wait for the plethora of lovely ENBs that'll be out a month from now that will turn everything blue and replicate Battlefield's purple camera flares n' poo poo. DARK GRITTY GRPHX.

I think all of these will suck for awhile, since the weather system in witcher 3 makes the colors vary quite a bit. Best changes might be small tweaks.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Just picked up some Wild Turkey. Gotta drink each time geralt takes a potion for maximum IMMERSION

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Please don't die from alcohol poisoning :ohdear:

I'll keep an eye on my toxicity meter.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, going back 20 pages: Sup, jump-off-the-balcony-first-thing-you-do-bro? poo poo was hilarious.

It was everything I hoped for and more.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

m.hache posted:

I turned off the NVIDIA Streamer Service, Set my Framerate cap to Unlimited and turn on Vsync. Since then I haven't had a single crash in game.

I have an r9 290 and putting the cap to unlimited stopped my frequent menu crashes also. But I only played a couple hours last night though

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

drat, I was really hoping they'd added a fov slider in the patch. I don't usually get motion sickness but its really bad in this game for me. Back to using 1980x900 resolution I guess.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

There a new patch or a hotfix today? Galaxy just started downloading a 641 mb file

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I started using some dwarven axe for my steel weapon, and I noticed I dont get finisher animations anymore. Are there just not any animations for weapons outside of swords? It doesn't even give the finishers for when human enemies are axii'ed either.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Geralt and his osteoarthiritic knees. I'm so tired of tumbling down a small hill and landing on my neck and losing half my health.

You're pressing the jump button right before you land so that he goes into a roll? Doing so usually negates most of the fall damage unless you're fairly high up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

PoultryHammock posted:

You're the one gettin down and dirty, you tell us?

Geralt is just being thorough with that quest objective. Can YOU be sure dat crotch isn't what has been killing people in the fog?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Did texture/NPC pop in get fixed? Its not in the patch notes...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Still here, strong as ever. But I don't have an SSD, so.

I have an ssd :(. I'm scared that all the pop in is actually an "optimization" so that the game doesn't have to load too many things at the same time.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Drifter posted:

There's not a lot of popin for me. Turn up your draw distance options in the game.

I'll try to mess with settings when i get home, but I've been playing with everything on ultra besides water and shadows.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

So I spent 10k at the pellar buying all his loving glyph recipes and now I discover I can't combine a bunch of my lesser glyphs. Is this just a known bug? I have a ton of less glyphs of igni, but the crafting menu says I have 0.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

so that's where you get asschematics for glyphs - is there a similar one for runestones? I keep getting lesser ones but just sell them on becuase I only have one bog standard schematic and all my slots are full with the few greater ones I've found

Pellar has schematics for both glyphs and runes.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Spite posted:

Nah, I think she's pretty nasty. I mean, she insults everyone to their face, steals weird artifacts and uses them without regard for the cataclysm they may cause, defiles gardens, etc. It goes beyond snark - she really doesn't give a gently caress about anyone but herself, Ciri and Geralt. It's a pretty abusive relationship, really.

She's willing to do things with potentially terrible consequences in order to save a family member. I think this describes a lot of people in the real world, terrible as it may be. I also assume magic users are kind of used to skirting the line when it comes to dangerous stuff. You also gotta remember how important ciri is in terms of the prophecy. Doing risky stuff to save her might be worth it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

But seriously, I felt a bit sympathetic for him when he explained how he became a Witcher, and why he hated the guy who "Recruited" him. A good story to show why Witchers are often resented by a lot of people.

Yeah. Me too. Hopefully no one passed up on his explanation of his background. He's still a dick but I can totally understand why. Being forced into witcherdom and getting sent on "pointless" missions just to watch your boyhood friends get torn apart by monsters is pretty hosed up. Not to mention all the potion/mutagen torture they have to go through.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What are the other outcomes of the Carnal Sins quest? I got the right guy in the end but I presume you can fail it?

I don't really know the answer to this, but I went back much later and checked the brothel where you find the dude torturing sweet nettie and the dude was still there torturing her in the chair. It was also too late to save her since the game told me that "the target can't be attacked". I guess she just gets tortured in perpetuity... :(

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

isk posted:

Also, the threshold for falling damage is low. It might be more realistic that way, but it doesn't encourage vertical exploration.

It's really not that bad. Just go into a roll when you fall.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

wintrrmute posted:

I read some of the early pages, but obviously not the whole thread. I've been playing for 5-8 hours, and I'm not sure if this game is for me. I can appreciate the approach it's taking with the story, but to me, the combat feels clunky - the main character feels like he is on wheels, and I'm constantly struggling to highlight objects to pick up / search / activate / ride my horse. It seems oddly finicky.

Discovery and gear seem less than exciting, too - it seems like there are so many materials, that I don't even read what I'm picking up, I just pick up everything and sell it I guess when I get to a vendor.

Is there a point where the game control and combat starts to "click" and I love it? I'm generally a shooter player, but I also enjoy beat em ups like the Arkham series or Shadow of Mordor, so I do appreciate and enjoy 3rd party combat. The controls feel floaty and reminiscent of Assassin's Creed, which is a series I've tried to like over the years, but just couldn't get into.

Should I keep going, or did I wander into a game fit for hardcore RPG'ers and my time would be better suited elsewhere?

Did you try the alternate movement style in the options screen? Although it seems like that alone won't really solve what you don't like about the game.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

MikeC posted:

This birthday card sums up why the Witcher is great. Anyone who has played all 3 games can name almost all the characters at a glance because they are all characters people care about. If you were to strip the characters away, the core gameplay is actually not great in any respect. The combat is serviceable but hardly groundbreaking. The world building is phenomenal and makes even old clunkers like Witcher 1 worth playing.

Who is the guy in plate armor on the same bench as Siegfried?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, I think you guys are right. Good call.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Damnit. I downloaded BaW, but then I stupidly clicked on it in the DLC tab in the Galaxy Client, thinking that it would give me a dropdown with more detail about it. It just unchecked the box and uninstalled the DLC. loving have to download it all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol if you watch episode 4 with subtitles there's a moment when Pavetta summons chaos at the feast and the subtitles are [Winds Howling]

I don't even get why Geralt had to do anything there. I guess its implied that everyone else was at risk? Didn't really seem like anyone was trying to run away though.