Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Recently started this game, got the "complete edition". Two quick Qs:

-why is it the Complete Edition sometimes and Game of The Year Edition other times? Was it game of the year on Xbone and PC but not PS4? Did Bloodborne beat it out maybe?

-I see that the recommended levels for the expansion content is in the 30s. Is this just so the people most likely to be buying them individually (players who've completed or put a lot of time into the main game already) would be able to get some xp due to the stupid way quest xp works in this game, or will I get my poo poo completely wrecked if I try to go to Toussaint at level 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

monster on a stick posted:

Well these expansion packs look to be pretty big :stare:

I saw the Toussaint map was about the same size as Velen(which itself looks as big as Skyrim) and nearly had a panic attack, I've spent nearly 30 hours now in Velen and barely scratched the surface, I'll never finish this game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ironic, since it's incredibly bad to use with a controller.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Norns posted:

Can you give an example of an rpg with what you consider a good UI? One that's based around controller.

I cannot, as none exists.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One of the weirdest compliments I saw about this game was this video where the guy says the game is so good it makes him think working conditions at CDPR must be terrible.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That's not what the video said, to be fair, so good job misrepresenting it?

I apologize for not quoting the youtube man entirely accurately in the informal message board video game thread.

To be clear, his exact words are: "Balancing the treatment of customers and employees isn't a zero sum game, but there is a tradeoff there. And I can tell you that I personally would be willing to pay a little more, wait a little longer, or get a little bit less game if I knew that management wasn't cracking the whip so hard come crunch time. I feel like I got excellent value from The Witcher 3. I also know that there's no such thing as a free lunch, and if I didn't pay for this particular lunch someone else must have. I just hope it wasn't CDPR's employees, and if so, I hope it wasn't too expensive." The context is that videogame development has a culture of intense "crunch" towards the end of development which is essentially abuse of employees.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 8, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I refused to bow because I thought the Emperor might get a fun line out of it and felt like a real piece of poo poo when the butler told me he was going to be punished for failing to make me act correctly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I got some poo poo on another board for killing Keira but I told her to hand over the germ warfare notes and she attacked me, nothing I could do. I'm sure I didn't see a friendlier "please hand me the notes" option or I'd have taken that. Maybe you only get it under certain circumstances.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Right, but the point is that the difference between a cure and a biological weapon is only in who gets to handle it.

And Geralt specifically says "Radovid doesn't care about curing the plague, he cares about winning the war" and iirc Keira didn't seem too opposed to that prospect. though of course it's moot because I saw a very graphic screenshot which indicates that if you let her go Radovid isn't particularly interested in hearing her out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Drifter posted:

Radovid's insane. He's a bad idea all around.

It was a terrific moment when I first met Radovid, because he was playing chess and I thought "ok, chess metaphor for combat, seen this a million times, whatever" but then Radovid went on this deranged rant about how he can hear the screams of the pawns or whatever. I like this game best when it goes just off the rails enough that I don't know how a scene is going to go

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Shannow posted:

It was a great shame you couldn't mount them and put them on the walls of your house.

Yeah, what the gently caress. When I saw the option to put up a trophy j thought that was what it meant

eonwe posted:

I beat the main campaign and picked witcher ciri as the ending this time

i actually like it more

When i beat the game the other day I thought I'd got the bad ending because I knew the bad ending is Ciri dying and you start the good ending by reporting Ciri's death to the emperor with some really disrespectful options (I seriously loved when the emperor asked if Ciri had given Geralt any message to pass on and Geralt says kind of venomously "we didn't talk about you") that gave me the impression Geralt no longer cares if the emperor has him beheaded. Then you run into some peasants and Geralt asks if they need help with anything in a way that sounds kind of pathetic, and I felt like he no longer knew what to do with himself. If I play through again I'll aim for the other ending but witcher ciri feels right tbh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

In what I had played of Witcher 1 and playing through 2 I always had the impression the Wild Hunt were ghost riders.

The exposition about them being elves from another dimension actually comes from Geralt himself, iirc, right at the end of W2.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

So I'm in Velen and have a general question about the main quest structure. When I got the two leads, the game kind of implies that it might be an either or (Bloody Baron OR witch in the woods). I've started and done parts of both but the game still hasn't been clear if I need to do both or not.

So I guess my question is, are there either or situations in the main quest (I know there are side quest either-ors, it seems there are multiple ways to be bridge passes in the game for example) and does the game spell these situations out clearly?

I'm really enjoying the game and characters so far, my only complaint is that the world seems almost too big, it's a bit overwhelming. Also trying to fastravel can be super annoying sometimes. For example I got dumped out of a cave after a quest near nowhere I had a signpost. So, I horse on over to the nearest town. Filled with Ghouls way too high a level. Ok, next town. No signpost... ok, next town. Wraiths way too high for me and I die.

It was a moment of extreme frustration. All I wanted to do was get back to a town to fix my armor. :smith:

One quick piece of advice: avoid everything north and east of Novigrad. It isn't part of the base game and was actually added by the Hearts Of Stone DLC which assumes you'll be level 30 at least. There's nothing there for you until then.

Another piece of advice actually: do quests as close as possible to the recommended level, any higher and you won't get any experience and any items you get will be vendor trash.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

The experience from side quests really doesn't matter and main quests give a metric fuckton of exp no matter what level you are.

Yeah but a little pop up saying "1xp gained" is still a slap in the face

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Even just the main quest is pretty long, and I can see someone getting burned out on the game trying to get through all the Content. "Skip quests that don't sound interesting" is fine advice imo

Other fine advice: those question marks in the Skellige sea aren't hurting anyone. Leave them alone.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If you just follow the main quest objectives you can find yourself needing money to upgrade your equipment and stuff, which can justify taking on some contracts at least. I don't know how they'd expand your feeling of freedom to side-quest in such a story-focused game while keeping the story itself exciting, and tbh the solution might be "don't make a story-focused open world game"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Witchers are basically immune to old age, right? They only ever die in combat and I heard one of the books says Vesemir is as old as Kaer Morhen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

What does Redanian Birdo mean?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

For people who feel bad about the crones questline, I just found out that there is an ingame book that says that the spirit in the whispering hillock is the crones' mother. She went too crazy even for them. So if you freed her, she's probably out there killing plenty of people right now.

It occurred to me after I let her go, I thought at least she honored the deal by rescuing the orphans, then I thought "well... she took the orphans, and now I don't know where they are". I think maybe the orphans are hosed either way, and at least the Crones get killed as part of the main quest, so probably best to kill the forest spirit while you can.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

shoulda been a screenshot of him smiling at the camera. A cheesy moment but by god they earned it

Agreed, I took this like an hour ago: https://puu.sh/sLGNX/efc469d9b8.jpg

Before finishing I loaded up on the coolest looking grandmaster witcher gear and equipped the cool high level swords from Candyland, on the assumption that your equipment carries over to NG+. I'll give it a few months to let my memories of the cool bits wash away the huge laundry list of things I didn't like and then probably start over. Unless I get a new PC any time soon; it's a good enough game that I'd buy it again to start from scratch on the platform it was designed for, but not good enough that I see myself playing through it three times.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I missed a couple of question marks, I couldn't figure out how to get to them because they seemed to be underground and there was no cavern entrance nearby so I just abandoned them for the sake of my sanity.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Drewsky posted:

A few pages back someone said if you get the skill that makes food heal you for 20 minutes it makes you rich. How does that work?

I can only assume it's because you'll never need to buy food.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't think it's possible to sell anything you need. I'd recommend not selling runestones because there's a guy in the high-level area north/east of Novigrad who can use runestones to make some decent extra enchantments for your swords and armour. Also definitely get the skill which makes food heal you for 20 minutes, it saves a lot of hassle. Although being on PC there's probably a "use food automatically" mod.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a lot more decent people in Skellige, or so it seemed to me, and in Toussaint of course. Plus all the main characters are basically goodies.

Edit: what up fellow Keira killer

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They're great artists

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a reason why Roach vanishes on the PC sometimes? I whistle and nothing, I've got a save game where I'm mounted up and when I load it I'm back on my feet.

I often have to whistle twice. Maybe it's a quirk of the game, maybe it's a bug. It would be annoying, but the horse is essentially teleporting to me so I guess I should cut it some slack.

Wrt herbs: gather up a bunch of balisse fruit in White Orchard, I remember needing that for a fair few potions and not being bale to find any. I think it only grows in White Orchard and no merchant I saw ever had it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A lot of the armour you just find lying around looks like rear end, Witcher gear looks cool and smart. Well, the Cat/Wolf/Manticore sets do. I wore the horrible gaudy golden knight armour to the final B&W boss like a fool and finished the game looking like a brass action figure instead of a cool dude in his best clothes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I never bothered with gwent, and I feel vaguely guilty about the half-dozen uncompleted sidequests to attend gwent tournaments.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah its funny to liberate an abandoned area and as soon as the residents come back they walk past me muttering about what a freak I am. Hey dude I blew up a nest full of ghouls that would rip your head off if they saw you, maybe bite your tongue til I'm out of earshot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The manticore armour looks cool and boosts toxicity, which let me take a bunch of potions and also get an extra damage bonus from the Euphoria mutagen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I love how everyone seems to take crone propaganda at face value.

To be fair the tree spirit does go completely psycho if you let it free

Edit: i guess I missed a lore book or something because I didn't know all that stuff from later in the game about how the Crones aren't just weird monsters who live in the swamp and there's some superstition about them, they actually are worshipped like gods in Velen and provide magic fruit at an annual ceremony until I actually got there. It fits well with the story, all rulers are hosed up and horrible, but it was weird that I seemed to have not taken in this fairly crucial fact of the setting

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 15, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Probably? I don't think I've seen it cheaper than that, but I have it on PC. Realize that the expansions are huge - Heart of Stone is 10-15 hours, Blood and Wine is easily 30+ depending on how important completion is to you. I think my playthrough of all 3 - where I didn't get even close to 100% - was something like 150-155 hours. At $30 it's a hell of a deal for a single player game.

Yeah, $60 would be good value, $30 is approaching "I'd feel guilty about paying this little" territory

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I almost had to turn down stealing the horses because there's a bug where sometimes a key you need to loot doesn't spawn. Luckily it spawned when I reloaded, because I am all about stealing some mother loving horses.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I really dislike the Possession quest with Cerys. It has so many glaring holes, it annoys me every time, because there's a good quest idea hiding just beneath the surface.

That quest has the funniest resolution I've ever seen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ugato posted:

Honestly you don't really need to know anything. Knowing stuff just gives you context for some moments in the game. I played this as my first Witcher game and absolutely love it. The gameplay is solid, it's actually pretty varied for an open world game and the writing and music are fantastic.

And when starting a new game, if you choose "Simulate a Witcher 2 save" you get an interview early on in the game when you first visit a notable castle (the plot forces you there to see the Emperor). It came off (to me at least) as a quiz of what happened and somehow I thought it would affect something if I got the answers "wrong." It's actually you writing Geralt's backstory of what would have happened in Witcher 2 had you played it.

I think the only one that actually affects anything is whether Letho is alive or dead. Say he's alive for an extra quest. Oh, and I think one other quest is easier if you say you spared La Valette

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Iorveth is mentioned by a squirrel unit near oxenfurt as being almost surely dead.

That's probably the unit I killed because they wanted to take my weapons. Oh I also like Roche's line when you ask him about the scoi'atel and he goes "who gives a gently caress about them any more?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

2 splits off into two distinct storylines early on. Make sure you go with Roche if you want to know what the gently caress is actually happening.

Neither has much bearing on 3, but 2 makes a helluva lot more sense.

I could swear I remember getting more information with Iorveth, but I can't remember exactly what I got from each.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Killing bandits and deserters is self-defense, they attack the player first. I do kind of wish you could intimidate people into running away, or use your fists. I tried to do that in that encounter at the start of the game when a bunch of people attack you in a bar; I kept trying to sheathe my sword and beat them up because I didn't want to mercilessly slay people. Turns out you can only do it in the odd scripted encounter (and in those encounters you can't use your swords) but at least that's something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The "just came out that way" trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Really? In my experience, there is nothing Geralt loves more than to sheathe his swords and invite a monster to fair fist-a-cuffs in mid-combat. Or do you mean "the game only acknowledges you punching someone's lights out on rare occasions"?

Oh yeah, I forgot that I've accidentally sheathed my weapons while fighting monsters a bunch of times. Weird because in the White Orchard fight I'm sure Geralt kept redrawing the sword when I put it away. I guess I would say: the game only allows me to both want to fight with my fists, and do so, in an attempt to win a fight non-lethally, on rare occasions.