Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Save game import question: Does it make a difference if I use a real save or import a TW2 save? And does it matter if I imported a TW1 save into TW2? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is the first storyline boss the griffin in White Orchard just generally supposed to be this much of a pain or is it Death March difficulty? Because up until know everything on Death March was challening but enjoyable, but the griffin basically feels way harder. (Though I had similar feelings about the first "real" boss monster in Witcher 2 as well.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Do (some) decoctions come with an automatic low-level regeneration that's not part of its description? Because I just tried my first one and it turned my health bar green which I'd normally associate with being poisoned not with regenerating.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Arglebargle III posted:

That health bar is blood-colored. The more wizard drugs you take, the more it turns yellow/green. It's just letting you know that you're hosed up on wizard drugs.

I know that. But I'm still confused with my Werewolf decoction apparently causing me to regenerate slowly, despite it not saying so on the label. Want to know if that is a bug or not.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Sure you don't have a source of natural regeneration that you only noticed when you were examining your newly-yellow health bar?

Apparently I have a 1/s vitality regeneration without any equipment that I never noticed beforehand. :shrug:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Stop switching your swords mid-combat, Geralt! You can just stab those dudes with the same sword you used on that monster! :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

nickmeister posted:

Is there a good place to get red mutagens early on? I've put 40 hours into the game mainly side-questing in Novigrad and I've only come across three of them.

If you only want the mutagen for the attack bonus, you can instead go to Dragon Slayer's Grotto in Velen and kill the low-level Wyvern that circles over the area for its Wyvern mutagen. You'll be lead to the area by a scavenger hunt anyway.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I spoiled myself on the ending choices, because I saw too many bits and pieces and thumbnails tempt me. :smith:

Then I read about the choices and and felt less bad about spoiling myself because I would totally have made barely adequate Witcherdad playing blinds as well, because my Geralt is a big softie at heart. :colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
One of the things that keep bothering me is that enemies are leashed and it's incredibly common, at least for me, to accidentally move far enough away that the NPCs turn around and walk back to their leashing spot.

I get that NPCs should not follow you to the end of the world and that they are not leashed right on the main road so you can actually decide whether to engage or not, but it still feels a bit unsatisfying. Somewhat related to that I am not entirely sure if some monsters (ghouls particularly) really are supposed to spend 90 percent of their time just scurrying around the field instead of attacking me. I do like the attack patterns of wolves and drowners though. Drowner packs at my level are still something I have to be careful with, due to their non-parryable attacks and them actually swarming aggressively.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hommando posted:

I was watching a few of the pre-release cinematic trailers and I noticed something I completely missed the first time I watched them.

In the trailer where Geralt is returning from a contract hunt and finds the soldiers that hired him are beating a woman, take a look at the guy at the end with the noose around his neck.

Even if it wasn't important, I always did wonder what happened to him.

During the opening cinematic in the game, Yennefer is attempting to escape a battle between Nilfgaard and Redania. While running away she bumps into a deserter who looks awfully familiar.

While you can't really tell for sure which one of these trailers takes place first, it seems like this guy was spared from hanging.

I thought it was a neat little easter egg.

So that's why that face felt kinda familiar.

Another nice little detail with regards to hanging, (Spoiler for a low-level (<15) Velen sidequest) Graham has a noose already tied and hung in his house. Guess you do not have to feel bad about how he ends either way. :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I think that's the only instance I encountered where Axii mind tricks in conversation had a "negative" outcome.

Does the game tell you beforehand that (Lore spoiler for signs) Axii can get detected by people who are trained for it so that you should only use it against hicks and hickettes? Because I'm pretty sure I remember Witcher 2 telling you that somewhere (a loading screen maybe) but haven't found anything like that in Witcher 3.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

JetsGuy posted:

Same with the Succubus concotions, you have what, two chances to kill Succubi and they're both kinda "eh, she's harmless".

According to their bestiary entries, that's basically true for succubi and dopplers both on a genetic/cultural level.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Yennefer is basically making choices a player character in a dark fantasy rpg would make. Namely, gently caress everybody who isn't a party NPC. :colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So fan translation question, is it at least accurate regarding the ending of The Lady of the Lake? Because from the fan translation it doesn't really sound like Geralt and Yennefer were ever really dead, meaning there was no ambiguity to their fate in that regard.

Slowly working myself through the German translations right now.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Snak posted:

I mean, I guess they could be considered date rapists, which is pretty hosed up, but I got the impression her targets were mostly guys who were soliciting prostitutes anyway. So it's kind of a win-win? They get the best sex they've ever had, and the succubus gets some of their life energy. Yeah, it's definitely a grey area, and it depends a lot on how succubus powers really work. A lot of it is portrayed as the succubus's thrall being passive, ie the succubus isn't enchanting dudes to have her way with them, but rather that the human male sex drive takes over their brain, which isn't really the succubus's fault. All three succubus's I've encountered in Witcher games have been having consensual sex with partners that they leave unharmed, and sometimes have to drive away.

Going by the Witcher 3 codex entry, succubus actually do not take the life force from the people they have sex with. Not sure how that was in the other games or the books, though.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Carnal Sins, there actually is a very early hint that something does not mesh up, because at one of the murder scenes Geralt notices that the escape route the killer took required jumping up a wall not even a Witcher could jump up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Megazver posted:

They retconned the books' finale so that he spent the time between them and the first game as the Hunt's prisoner instead of being dead.

I'm not yet at the end of the books in a proper translation, but are they really unambigously dead instead of just spirited away at the end of the books?