Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Geralt just spent a couple of minutes gawking at Keira Metz's tits and in the conversation that followed the animation froze as if someone hit pause, but the scene is still going beneath the pause. Subtitle up, Geralt making a goofy face because he's mid sentence and someone somewhere talking. I think at some point I could choose dialogue options but was still stuck on Geralt's face.

Anyone had something similar? Seems like I'm basically stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like that you can interact with candles

I don't like that they seem to take precedence over containers

If it worked the other way around, and candles were nearly impossible to target until you looted everything, it'd be totally fine

This is being fixed in 1.05, the patch which is never coming out.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Woozy posted:

It's loving cold out Geralt put a sweater on

Is it? The lighting in this game makes me feel like it's a nice warm summer's day and it's absolutely lovely out. Except when it rains.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

haven't made it to Skellige yet. Still traipsing around sunny and warm Velen after hanging out in the positively roasting White Orchard.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

dunno how the Baron survives in that Henry VIII getup. there must be a lake of sweat under that breastplate.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

vudan posted:

There is a cat in the foreground of a few major scenes. (3 at least) I wonder if this could have any significance.

Also...vesemir is combing two black horses in the cutscene but then there is one...coincidence?!

I wonder if there are still any hidden or unfound quests or treasures still.

"As usual cats noticed him first." From The Last Wish, a very boring book.

Cats are one of the only beasts which have that weird rear end magicey sense thing that Sorcerers do and there's lots of reference to their Geralt-oriented inquisitiveness in the books. They know Geralt's a bit funny. Might just be a throwback to the book.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

How do decoctions work? Are they permanent bonuses or are they taken like regular potions? I've made a few but not sure when / why to apply the bonuses. Some of them sound permanent.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Okay that makes sense - so a decoction that regens HP for 30 minutes is obviously better than a Swallow that does 20 seconds and needs to be topped up which brings up toxicity even more.

Will need to pay closer attention to the potions skill tree from now, I think.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

oddium posted:

hey so no spoilers but i feel like maybe i did this the wrong way ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVwPLH6sy-c

i just did this, then when i killed the wyvern geralt decided to jump off the cliff. i couldn't manage it a second time :(

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

who the gently caress do i sell trophies to

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

The dude who buys stuff full price east of Novigrad is the Alchemist in the crematorium right? He's bugged for me, can't be interacted with at all, disappears when I meditate.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I'd like to play without the HUD but I feel like I'd miss HP/toxicity and potion duration too much.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not the only one that hasn't liked any of the alternate outfits, am I?

Triss's is super bad. I haven't seen Yen's.

I guess Ciri's is okay but it's stupid to have an exposed midriff when you're in a cold climate. If she covered up it'd actually be a bit better than the default imo.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

So is the Get Junior quest still broken? I'm on the bit where I need to talk to Geralt's favourite bro and I'm not sure if I should continue just in case he can't be interacted with. This is 1.07 on PC.

Also decided to drop a few HUD things. I'm keeping the health bar because I'm a delicate cry baby, but turning off the minimap has made me think more about navigation and exploration. I heartily recommend that everyone plays without the minimap, and 1.08 should remove it entirely :colbert:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I'm playing on a pretty old GTX 470, but I'm chugging along alright at like 30 FPS on med/low settings. What I can say is that post-patch 1.07 the "low" textures actually look much nicer, I dunno how it has affected my FPS but it makes the game look better regardless.

Also I am really considering blowing like $500 on a new graphics card but I can't justify it just for this one game when everything else still runs on it... I really like this game

Think of it as buying a shiny new fancy console for that one game that looks amazing and you need to have but isn't available on the PC.

You'll get that one game, and the ability to play every other one thereafter!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Oh, didn't realize there's new DLC called "New finisher animations".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFETTPvBPtY
:black101: :gibs:

I cut a man's face in half with this DLC :buddy:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

In this particular situation it's trivially easy to get around the badguys. But the point is, the gameplay doesn't offer you any incentive to NOT fight them. You get XP, loot, and the reward of choppin' up dudes. And it's not really "ludonarrative dissonance" either, because there's nothing in the game that says you shouldn't be doing it or that this is something Geralt wouldn't do. For the random bandits scattered around the map we did our best to humanize them with visual storytelling and notes, but they are there for the express purpose of giving the player something to fight, so it's not at all wrong that the guy is butchering them while simultaneously lamenting the horrors of war, it's just very *interesting* to me that he didn't make the connection between the two.

Similarly, I think it's very interesting that people will condemn Yen for doing things that the player does all the time, without ever seeing the connection.

All this deserter chat is interesting. For a long time I actually just felt that the "deserter" label was an overlooked detail, or perhaps even a bug or poor localisation since they just behave like bandits, especially the Nilfgaardian ones (who incidentally are camped right next door to some actual Nifgaard soldiers) who are guarding a Person In Distress. However, those Nilfgaardian deserters proudly yell "NILFGAAARD!" and "FOR THE EMPRAH!" at you as you're hitting them with a shiny stick. They also wear what I think is Nilfgaardian Officer armour - why would an Officer of the winning army desert?

It'd be better if they weren't hostile by default. Instead the player can make a decision as to whether he cares about deserters enough to want to kill them. Or if the deserters serve some other kind of purpose, perhaps more quests involving them, getting the odd deserter safe passage to Novigrad where they can lie low until the war's over or something, or killing him because your Geralt is all "everyone fighting this loving war deserves to die!".

Just something needs to properly differentiate them from regular rear end bandits to provide that context.

On the other hand, most Scoia'tael camps are handled well in this regard. They're not as common as deserter camps, but you do get the option to interact with them and in some cases brutally murder them. If the player decides they're a Temerian-patriot Geralt (I kinda did, but only because Roche is a bro - and so was Foltest to an extent, except the whole sisterfucking thing) they might even want to kill any and all Scoia'tael they come across, as well as deserters.

A lot of players want to sniff around the map like my dumbass dog sniffs at the bottom of my front door. That means the conscious decision to avoid deserter camps just because they're hostile by default but they ALSO want to RP a Geralt who is sympathetic to deserters isn't really welcome.

A good model I guess might even be New Vegas's Powder Gangers. These guys are criminals in the eyes of the NCR, but they don't automatically want to shoot you. In fact they're quite happy to lament their lack of smokes as you dodge their badly placed explosives. However if you choose to sympathise with the NCR you'll want to kill these guys for daring to escape NCRCF. You don't have to though, and you get the opportunity to interact with them and work with them if you choose. Here there is a full contextualisation of who the Powder Gangers are, they are properly differentiated from generic bandits/thugs and there are ways to treat their existence positively if you so wish.

So, yeah, for the Enhanced Edition (which you ARE going to make or I'll whine about muh entitlement!) try to fix deserters. Differentiate them somehow from bandits, perhaps make them less jumpy. Perhaps even reduce their numbers. I know if I was a deserting soldier camping out in the warzone I just deserted I would want to lay low lest Radovid sniff out and hang my butt. I likely wouldn't want to run out of my camp screaming at the one curious Witcher traipsing around in case it turns out to be my CO hunting for me.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and that would be why CDPR are the guys who made Witcher and not me.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Nah it's not weird at all, but is in the context of this game where it's such a widespread phenomenon for no particular reason or means in which to explore that phenomenon other than having to hack them up because you got too close.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah this game is actually quite well directed. They put a lot of thought into this stuff and it shows.

A far cry from 2007's still shots of a person's doll like face while their jaw flaps up and down.

But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6y_liK-Pds

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

JetsGuy posted:

So I bought enhanced edition w2 on steam for Mac.

I haven't even started a game, and the opening vid already has me hooked. :allears:

You've been playing 3, so you're going to absolutely hate TW2.

Poke, roll, poke, roll, poke, roll, poke, roll, poke, roll, poke, roll, poke, roll, poke, roll, poke, roll.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Encountered a strange bug. The screen froze during a bit if dialouge with Kiera Metz, but I could still hear the voice acting. I could also hear the sound of my dialouge options being selected as I hosed about with the DPad.

And it'll crash if you finish the dialogue by guessing the options (or at least it did for me). You need to turn all the graphics to low to get through it. You can change them back as soon as you finish the dialogue.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Boo. The halfling merchant in the "Hey, Wanna See My Stuff?" quest is just standing in the alleyway at the end of the scent trail and I'm not able to interact with him. 1.07 was meant to fix everything and make everything perfect forever, dammit.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

So I have the lifesteal decoction (Ekimmara?) and a Superior Petri's Philter. I just beat a Fiend 10 levels higher than me by Igniing it with the Philter and relying on lifesteal from the 1k per tick damage it was doing. Tawny Owl to pull off Igniis more often.

Think I figured out how to game it.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Geralt coughs like Zoolander when he walks into those poison clouds.

I think I'm getting the black lung, Vesemir...

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I bought a horde of superior diagrams from Gremist and proceeded to buy all the Cherry/Mandrake cordial in the world so I could brew it all. I sold all my dimeritium ingots to make this possible.

I may regret that decision soon.

Still missing basic White Rafford's Decoction and a couple of other things and that's really annoying me.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Don't suppose anyone has a good summary of TW1/TW2? Didn't really get into either of them but Witcher 3 looks like it's pretty fun and I already own it anyways

E: also any important mods?

This is The Witcher 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6y_liK-Pds

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I watched the first episode of that and was struck by the uncanny resemblance kid Geralt has to Julian Assange.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Guys I killed a troll and I feel really bad about it :suicide:

Full confession w/ minor Kaer Morhen area spoilers:
I was faffing about minding my own business and for some reason Geralt decided he wanted to investigate what was killing Drowners. It turned out to be a troll who was hostile right away. I killed it and then found it had a letter written by a dude who planned the Salamandra assault on Kaer Morhen from the first game. Geralt quips "Seems we owe this troll a lot" since the battle went terribly for the Salamandra.

On the plus side, I found the farting trolls and killed them mercilessly because people who make Youtube videos should not be encouraged.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I also spent a very stupid amount of time locating Witcher armour diagrams. I think maybe 5 or 6 hours because it's a weekend and I don't want to go outside and play with all my friends.

I've picked up diagrams for Superior and Master by stumbling upon them but holy poo poo actually sitting down and decided to look for them all is a crazy trip. Playing HUDless makes it so much more fun too. Have all the sets upgraded to Enhanced now and sitting in my stash waiting for NG+. I think it took so long because I kept getting sidetracked - you just don't get the chance to wander off if you have the minimap up.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Snak posted:

i did this same thing last week (also hudless). The most frustrating part is finding out that one of the armor parts in a a place you already explored, but you did a bad job and missed the one chest that had the diagram.

Had that with the Ursine thing. I went straight up past Rogne and found a ruined keep with a level 30 Ice Elemental (I was level 22 but it dropped like a sissy crybaby for some reason when a level 29 Golem took 4 attempts and this is BnBB) and thought that was it for the whole area, surely there'd be nothing else up that road!

Few hours later I check the map for Ursine stuff and would you bloody believe it...

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Holy poo poo Where The Cat And Wolf Play might be the best quest in this game.

The fact the whole saga takes place at the apex of the decline of the entire Witcher caste is amazing, and this quest is a fantastic exploration of that decline.

To spoil it: I didn't kill Gaetan and I feel good about that. Witchers are long lived that I think he can go on to atone for what he did at Honorton and possibly elsewhere, just like Geralt has with Blaviken. When I read the letter and learned that he may well be the last Cat Witcher I felt even better. If Witchers are dying out Geralt shouldn't take it upon himself to kill other Witchers who make mistakes. Also, I got a nice sword out of it so that's okay.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Senjuro posted:

Or you know, he could go on to commit other atrocities which certainly seems to be his pattern. And Blaviken isn't a comparable situation at all. Geralt had to choose between a lesser/greater evil but he didn't butcher anyone who didn't have it coming. Cat Witcher slaughtered guilty and innocent alike just 'cause.

What pik_d said. He got hosed over because justpeasantthings, and their response was unreasonable. That's not to say flipping out and murdering the entire population was reasonable, but it is at least understandable. I still like to think that Gaetan can learn from Honorton and go on to be a less murderous Witcher in future. Better that than the world lose another valuable Witcher.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Woah GeForce Experience actually works. I'm not hitting 60fps all the time but things are running better than the 20-25 I was getting before, and things don't even look any shittier. This is on a 660Ti.

Cave of Dreams chat: That quest's a loving cop-out. The fight with Imlerith at the end is basically a repeat of the end of the tutorial. Jorund died for nothing. Christ.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

It doesn't matter what that one guy did, all Cat school witchers are scum.

Do we know this? The only Cat I'm really aware of is the one who is completely bonkers in the cave beneath Novigrad, but reading the notes it turns out he only got into that state because of the hideous experiments the dude was running on him.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There's the guy from Where the Cat and Wolf Play, and Jad Karadin. Lambert made it sound like his cat friend was okay though.

I let Karadin live too, because Lambert's vandetta seemed stupid (because he's a stupid butt head) and Karadin seemed to have legitimately searched for redemption, settling down with a child and propping up charities. He had sneaky business with Hammond and that's not okay but Hammond's dead so that puts a stop to that. What point is there in killing him? Okay he was a lovely Witcher and Cat school loses points for that, but Gaetan and Lambert's friend didn't really seem all that bad - I've already given my defence for Gaetan.

Unrelated Lord of Undvik chat: Content skipped this one by accident on my first play through, ended up being able to fast travel on top of Hjalmar. I sailed to Undvik this time and walked around and holy poo poo I missed out a lot of stuff. Really glad I did that one properly this time.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If I launch the game without GOG Galaxy it gives me 1.07 and through GOG Galaxy it is 1.06, it's an absolute mess.

The only way that can surely be happening is if you somehow have managed to install the game twice, once through Galaxy and once manually and both in different paths.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

pik_d posted:

Is it Teigr? Also, spelling that out I just realized its an anagram of Tiger and I guess if you say it it still sounds like Tiger :suicide:

Hey did you catch the Schrodinger joke too? :smuggo:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

Not loving up the carnal sins quest.

You can gently caress this up? I guess that would be by stabbing Nathaniel as soon as you see him poking with his poker?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

JetsGuy posted:

Yes. When you run in there's a timed decision: either kill him immediately or say "hmmm no embalming fluid?" and realize it's a setup. He'll then tell you he's being framed by the Vampire and he's by the docks. You can kill Nathaniel anyway though.

I did that because I felt like it was dumb to do the other thing. He's clearly a Hannibal Lecter type so if he's genuinely surprised that you're accusing him of a grosser crime then something is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Lucinice posted:

I'm going to miss everyone's thousand yard stare from that game.

Your mother sucks dwarf cock. :stare: