Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

I think you guys are being way to easy on Olgierd . He willingly sold his soul to the devil, he was not coerced in any way shape or form. He spent how long creating summoning circles and trying to summon otherworldly power. He's not an innocent who got tricked into this, he was seeking out the devil. Secondly just because he lacks a conscience doesn't mean he has to be an immoral person. There are many Sociopathic people in this world who lead completely normal lives. You say that he regrets what he's done and can change, but despite his words in no way do his actions show this. Before his contract he took pleasure in raping, stealing, and murdering. And then when you first meet him he's leading a gang of people who...rape, murder, and steal. You don't need a conscience to tell you that that isn't the kind of company you should keep if you're looking to atone for your sins. Indeed his first action in the game is to set you up to kill an innocent man that he has transformed, and who he likely knew had men coming to return him to his original form. His first action is to send you off to die, not the actions of someone who deserves forgiveness.

I had like three paragraphs here comparing Ole and Goethe's Faust here but typing it just made me want to reread it and it honestly doesn't change my actual conclusions it just solidify's my reasoning so it got cut.

The second point that I'll disagree with you guys on is that you're making the mistake of putting Geralt into the shoes of the Arbitrator of what's right and wrong. Geralt isn't damning Ole by not interceding, Ole already sold his soul for his wishes and those wishes were granted it follows that Gaunter would get his soul. A simple transaction. By interceding to save him you're saying that Geralt has the authority to determine who lives and who dies. From where does he derive this authority? He's not a judge, a king, or a representative of god. When Faust dies an entire heavenly host descends to carry his immortal parts to heaven. Clearly the same doesn't happen for Ole. The only thing stopping Gaunter from taking his soul is Geralt, and the only reason Geralt can stop him is that he's incredibly powerful. By saving Ole you're implicitly tying authority to power. And if you can claim that because Geralt is powerful he has a right to determine the fates of those around him, and be morally right in doing so then it follows that people more powerful then him also have that right. Was Henselt right to rape Ves and murder the blue stripes, was The emperor right to invade the north and cause untold suffering over and over merely to increase the size of his demesne, And was Radovid right to begin his pogroms against magic users and non humans? If the only way we can determine moral authority is by the level of power that the person making the judgements has then all of these horrible things that these people have done was in fact justifiable. Geralt is not making a statement by letting Gaunter take Ole's soul he's merely letting events lead to their natural conclusion. By interceding he's putting himself in a position of authority over life and death entirely based on his Martial abilities, and in fact implicitly endorsing a might makes right mentality, that's logical conclusion results in arbitrary judgment and widespread misery for the weakest and poorest of the world.

In conclusion not only is Ole not worth saving, Geralt has no authority to do so.

Geralt has his own personal code of ethics and conduct outside of those proscribed by religion and law.

Geralt IS the ubermensch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

fridge corn posted:

Just did the quest with talking roach and I'd just like to say that it was really good

What where is this

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ciri would be a great empress and it makes me sad to see her unhappy but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cyberpunk is never coming out.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The lack of diversity in the music for Skellige kinda ruined it for me :/

There's like, two songs that play while you're exploring there and they both suck rear end.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this witcher netflix show looks loving terrible

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hey you guys are forgetting the most important fact about Cavill: he's a loving awful actor who sucks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Megazver posted:

Oh, you've got your own 'SJWs' to throw around, that's cute. Is there like an inverse-Joe Rogan where some bald guy spends twenty hours a week just talking about them?

What an embarrassing post.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Megazver posted:

Sorry, I'm just, like, Eastern European, watching the shitshow that is your cultural war from the outside. It's a little sad all around.

Yeah man, calling neo-nazis bad names is sad. Ok.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

chesnok posted:

You can't have stories more complicated than "darkie good, whitey bad" in western media today.
Which is mighty funny in of itself, cause the target audience those while-guilt ridden producers try so desperately to appease doesn't consume their content anyway.

What is this garbage

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

All attractive women are just extremely thirsty for Geralt for some reason,

It's because he's hot.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

This Netflix show is gonna loving blow and this Sears catalogue looking motherfucker isn't helping.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Phi230 posted:

Lol cosplayers look better

They should CG some scars and stubble on to him.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How does Nilfgard deal with monsters without witcher's?

Is the idea that monsters are generally on the decline?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

He looks like Danaerys' lovely brother from GoT

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

gently caress, I cannot unsee that now. :(

It's not a great look for your protagonist imo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ciri becoming empress is the tough but correct choice. Witcher Ciri is pure self-indulgence.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You people have no sense of duty.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pellisworth posted:

Don't forget that Emhyr's grasp on power in Nilfgaard is pretty tenuous, if Radovid isn't assassinated then the nobles and wealthy traders stage a coup and dethrone him. Yeah Ciri is a pretty good person and would do positive things as Empress of Nilfgaard, but I expect she'd be forced to spend most of her time politicking just to hold the empire together and not get overthrown by the good ol' boys back in Nilfgaard proper who are certainly none too happy about a Northern-raised illegitimate daughter of Emhyr becoming their ruler.

I kinda figured her being one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse would prevent her from getting coup'd but I guess that's not certain.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Witcher Ciri people are making some good arguments, but honestly I'm still pretty torn here.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

As you say, it doesn't really become an issue until/unless Sapkowski or the Netflix show decide to deviate wildly away from the games.

Well there appears to be some pretty serious deviation already in that the show is going to loving suck.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Dongattack posted:

I can't believe there are people that thought it would ever be good with a Geralt whos nod to fame is doing some really trash DC movies and with the director that did loving Daredevil and The Defenders :lol:
"Oh we love the source material so much, Henry even ate one of the books"

To be fair i enjoyed Daredevil S1, but everything that came after was trash.
I'll check out the show ofc and give it a fair shake, but i'm fairly certain i can see which direction this is going.

Jesus I didn't realize that's who was directing. I look forward to every fight being set in a dimly lit claustrophobic hallway.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

hrng i would love a rogue one style one shot for the witcher universe

What if they made a good movie instead?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DoctorTristan posted:

The Stephen King character he is (partially) based on did...

Isn't he just The Devil?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

anyone who sides with roche is a loving cop

this is canon

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Radovid's honestly not any worse than the other Northern Kings, he just started targeting formerly powerful human women and not elves, dwarves and halflings. Change my mind.

He literally commits genocide in his ending if you back him

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Looks like they decided to change the design of the Nilfgaardian armor to more closely resemble a spray-painted nutsack for some reason.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-nilfgaardian-armor-in-netflixs-the-witcher-series-is-disturbingly-wrinkly/

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Looks more suited to space elves?

e: Nope, definitely got the Nilfgaard crest. Weird costuming choice.

I don't mind them changing stuff but ffs only change it if you have a BETTER idea

I can't imagine that a bunch of generic breastplates would have even been more expensive but I'm no costumer

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Palpek posted:

The video got taken down, so have a gif tfor reference:

This looks even worse in motion wtf

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

There's a crest in the middle of the chest piece this is the finished armor

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Perfect Potato posted:

The only out is if the armor's meant for Ciri's nightmares but the brightly lit forest isn't exactly inspiring confidence

Oh man it's even worse if this is correct and they're so cheap they're doing day-for-night

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Too many polygons for the switch

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

fickle poofterist posted:

Oh gently caress off I've got no cards in play here, and I'm not trying to offend anyone. I literally have no idea wtf is going on hence asking. Is the term you quoted backward or sexist or something? I'm a bloody granddad re this poo poo and if it is offensive then I honestly apologise, I didn't realise.

Seriously, I will remove that word from my vocabulary. Definitely do not intend to bring any bullshit into this thread. Peace out everyone

It's pretty outdated, just use "trans" or "transgendered".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol:

Remember when our grandparents literally got murdered by government troops so we could have a 40 hour work week?

Anywho...super stoked to spend my 1 hour of free time per day on this for at least a year or two! :laffo:

Comrade Geralt

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The whothewhatnow?

I think it's from one of the DLCs, you find a ghoulish creature with a house full of stolen silverware

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

a fatguy bald spot posted:

thanks for the yrden tips, I don’t normally like fiddling with traps in these games but a lightning turrent sounds incredible. are there any bad places to put skill points? I started off thinking I was going to do a Jedi thing with the shield, mind trick, and then lots of light attack’s and medium armor, is that a good plan?

Alchemy in general is pretty worthless. no points in green ever.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I like the show but sometimes the script feels awkward and sometimes it feels like a higher budget Xena/Hercules episode. I think it's pretty hosed that Entertainment Weekly only watched one episode before declaring the show "The worstest thing ever" though.

I do hope they get another season.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been inspired by the show to make it my New Year's resolution to finally play The Witcher 3 DLC.

The problem is that I played the original story on the PS4, eventually selling off my copy after buying the complete edition on PC. I see that I can start a new game on the PC version that will plop me right in front of the Hearts of Stone content. But how much am I gonna miss by not bringing in a main campaign save where I made all my own choices, is it gonna feel "off" or generic? I think I read that the DLC is mostly self-contained but that the end of Blood and Wine factors in some stuff? I can see it being a letdown if the end of that is like the complete opposite from how my Wild Hunt story ended lol

Start a new campaign you coward.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Rope Kid not liking the Witcher show:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1211095322539114496?s=20

Can picture him fuming while watching the battle between Cintra and Nilfgaard. "Where are the pikes???"

Neat, no wonder she seemed familiar.

I also thought it sucked how the cavalry was lined up between the infantry lines. Those horses would have all gotten killed like instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

a fatguy baldspot posted:

signs/combat is really fun, put on some medium armor and get the medium armor regens stamina skill.

lighting people on fire will never not be hilarious.