Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cantorsdust posted:

2) The show’s biggest sin so far is that for someone who hasn’t read the books or played the games and has no familiarity with the characters, it’s very hard to follow the meta-plot.

So far the worst example is in episode 4 where Geralt’s story is the wedding of Pavetta and Duny while Ciri’s story is her encountering the druids of Brokilon Forest. But Geralt’s story is taking place literally a decade before Ciri’s (since Ciri obviously isn’t born yet when her mom marries). There’s no good indication to the viewer of this until the very end of the episode.

You don't need to remember a name. She falls out a window in episode 1, she's alive in episode 4. And her lover/husband is walking around.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol if you watch episode 4 with subtitles there's a moment when Pavetta summons chaos at the feast and the subtitles are [Winds Howling]

:dudsmile:

itry fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Phenotype posted:

Anyone have experience running this on a 6GB 1060 in 4k? I'm trying to decide whether to play this on my PC or on PS4 Pro. Any idea which one will look better on a 4k TV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSsXKvlZ2U

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The books are also best sellers right now on Amazon.

EdsTeioh posted:

My apologies if this is a dumb question; I know this Witcher is pretty full of "adult" content, but I've heard that you can disable cutscenes and it essentially cuts out all of the swearing/nudity/etc...is this accurate? My daughter really likes to just walk around countrysides and ride horses in games and I got in trouble for the gratuitous use of "gently caress" in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

You can try this mod, I guess: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2932

itry fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 30, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ZeusCannon posted:

So when is someone gonna mod the song in

Tweet at John Schwab and ask him to sing it. Maybe he can sing and has a sense of humor.

Then somebody will be able to mod it into the game. :haw:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

And if I remember correctly, wasn't the dude who did his Polish VA a big deal? I remember vaguely him being a big deal, but don't remember in what way.

Looks like it's this guy: Jan Frycz, and yeah, he's credited in a lot of things.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You really shouldn't use the fast travel mod your first time through the game (or auto-oils, but that's just imo). You end up skipping a ton of flags that you don't know are supposed to be there and end up breaking quests. Or just missing content altogether.

(Don't know if it's your first playthrough. Just speaking in general.)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

First time through the game I recommend the fall damage mod, a max weight mode, and maybe the better compass mod. That's it.

If you absolutely hate the inventory interface, somebody mentioned a modified/selective auto oil mod.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you're in the swamp there's no reason to even try fighting in there. Just run away.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Arglebargle III posted:

Just make a game where you play as Ciri.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

lezard_valeth posted:

Also how smart is the auto sheath function? Does it take out the appropiate sword for the type of enemy you are fighting? Or is it better if you manually sheath/unsheath?

That's what it's for. You can turn it off, but I assume you don't want to.

There's a mod for auto applying oil, or a mod for auto applying oils but only for monsters you have in your codex (apparently). The latter at least doesn't ignore the whole idea of preparing yourself before a monster hunt.

You craft potions once and they recharge when you meditate. Same with bombs or any other Witcher consumable.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, you only need 4 points in green to be able to use 3 to 4 decoctions at the same time. So just throw a handful of points in there and see what happens.

If you're on PC there's a mod to toggle the Cat hood: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4057

itry fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 7, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, it's definetly a late-ish game investment.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Roach Warehouse posted:

Any idea where I can find the latter variant of this? I've only been able to find blanket 'auto apply oils' mods.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No, but there is one that makes you press a button, and only applies oils and equips bombs for creatures you have bestiary entries for.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4105

itry
Aug 23, 2019

sean10mm posted:

I need more red mutagen damnit. :mad:

There's a mod for that too! :haw:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you're playing on PC you can probably fix this with a console command (Instead of re-doing White Orchard).

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm looking forward to the Ciri assets import mod for CP2077. My V is going to look like Ciri complete with accurate clothing. :colbert:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This worked, thankfully I had one manual save right before I talked to Vesemir to leave White Orchard.

Sweet

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't think anyone liked the Nilfgaardian armor. Truely an awful piece of work.

I enjoyed watching Emma Appleton as Renfri so much that I'd like them to cast her in another role in the show. Preferably one requiring swordwork.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They should have made another quest chain after the Radovid one where you have to find out what happened to Ves and Roche.
Then show one of those small cutscenes referencing unintended consequences at the end.

chaosapiant posted:

finished episode 1 for the third time

:catstare:

itry fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 11, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You need to remove the colons from the end of your url's.

Maybe add this one too: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4105

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pretty sure there's a console command to just instantly win the current fist fight.

Edit: https://www.mmo-game.eu/witcher-3-debug-console-commands/

Guess it's considered a normal fight. Try /killall.

itry fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 12, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just play the game(s) if you think they might be your thing. They're good.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Griffin set is cool and good. :colbert:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dictator. posted:

TV show vs. W3 game timeline question.

I am watching ep 5 (where Geralt is like Dandelion's bodyguard at a royal gathering to determine whoever gets to marry Ciri's mom, then medieval Sonic comes and wrecks the place yada yada. So Ciri isn't born yet at this time), so I'm guessing this takes place around 15-20 years before the events in W3, yet in the game Dandelion doesn't seem/act much older than he is now.

The show is based solely on the books (and it's not a 1 to 1 re-creation). You can imagine a continuation of events, but it won't be canon.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah that first Olgried fight is a really tense moment. The designers really stepped up their game in HoS with the fights. Mechanically and otherwise.

hobbesmaster posted:

The next game should be “Ciri aimlessly teleports”

Ciri throws an empty wine bottle into the camp fire. Spins around until she feels real dizzy, and just as she's about the hit the ground - she teleports.

Ciri roulette.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, back to fav quest lines. The sidequest Paperchase in B&W is the *best*.

Who knew you could have that much fun in a bank.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fuzz posted:

Some people have really bad and dumb takes on the pick in this game because Triss is a redhead that fawns over you and media and video games have conditioned men to think that's the ideal mate, regardless of the other poo poo they do.

Going only by the games, that's not really fair. She's really supportive in the second one, and they seemed to have real chemistry.

Of course, she didn't tell him about Yennefer, but Yen didn't even bother to go to him and lift his amnesia.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Isn’t Triss the better option because she might still be fertile? Or at least that was my understanding. I thought it was obviously better to pick the more fertile woman. I watched the Netflix show and.. Yen is definitely NOT fertile lol

:chloe:

Atlas Risen posted:

Is it ever explained if Geralt’s sterility is due to gametic incompatibility or zygotic mortality or some other mechanism?

I think that witchers are just not compatible with normal humans because of their mutations. They're probably not compatible with each other either. And there aren't any female witchers, so... no witcher children.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 18, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like how the mansion fight references The Deluge right before going into an awesome boss battle.

It's a really good sequence that sets the mood for the expansion. HoS leans very heavily into horror territory.

isk posted:

If The Deluge is new to you, it's a p cool novel/movie dramatization with one of the most realistic sword duels on film. These lads got after it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljExTEPNFnM

This is a pretty neat scene. The rain and lack of music lends the fight weight.

"You swing that like a flail sir!" :allears:

itry fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 24, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

17 times through that old Bioware engine / gameplay. Impressive.

I could replay W2 and W3 (and have), but the first one? Nope.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

Oh I know. I just can't figure out a way Geralt would ever side with Djikstra if he hadn't already told Thaler to gently caress off in W1 and sided with Iorveth in W2.

Hmm, makes sense as role-playing motivation. But then why would you even agree to help them to begin with?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Consider letting Keira go talk to Radovid (something that I never did in my 4 playthroughs).

itry
Aug 23, 2019

10 Beers posted:

I found this today, in case anyone's interested.

https://kaermorhenforge.com/en/

Pretty cool. Apparently they have a "CD Project’s license for making and selling witcher swords".

Some cool ones:

Zireael:

Wolf School steel sword:

They even made Iris:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I want the real world Emmentaler or whatever it's called.

:hmmyes:

The Emmentaler but as a cheese kitchen knife.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Turds in magma posted:

These are all CGI, where are the real swords

I think they just got a good photographer.

https://kaermorhenforge.com/en/workshop/

They seem to be real. :shrug:

These were probably taken with a phone:

itry fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 7, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Isle of Mists is pretty great.
The game did a good job of making me care about Ciri and feeling responsible for her safety, so the first time I played through the game the cottage scene was a really strong moment.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

afaik there's still the rumored second triple-A game they mentioned in a share holder meeting a couple of years ago.

And they're not done with the Witcher universe, so who knows.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tom Tucker posted:

Grabbed this on sale, it's fricken amazing, maybe one of the best games I've played. Just a single sunset I rode around in would have popped it into the top tier of games, but the writing, the depth of stories and characters, it's remarkable how much they were able to do, and I'm only lvl 12. Enjoying wandering off dispensing personal justice on monsters and humans all over the place.

:hellyeah:

Cowcaster posted:

so since i’m making progress in blood and wine now i have questions. feel free to spoiler things out of courtesy for other people but personally i don’t give a poo poo. i know at some point the main quest forks, and one has a fantasy dreamland world with a talking roach and the other doesn’t. my question is, what path do i have to take to get that, and what endings it entails i get.

basically i want a certain ending but i want to follow a certain path and i want to know if they’re mutually exclusive

Adding to what Helith said; the Elder Vampire path has an upgraded version of a certain set you can get in the expansion area. And a sword, iirc.
The other path has a Dark Souls easter egg sword. You should definitely do the orphanage bit before the Elder Vampire.

The former has more of a horror vibe. The latter I think is better written, and more fantastical.

itry fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 11, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You can also ask Yennefer about it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, there's soft-lock and it can be pretty annoying if you're playing with M+K and no lock-on.

Also, I strongly recommend turning off the points of interest on your map if this is your first playthrough.
Edit: Just follow roads or ride to places that look interesting on the map. Usually there'll be something there.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 16, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You can also set up your own waypoints on the map.
I didn't mean to suggest that you should now ignore the map and mini-map completely and nvaigate by the sun and moon.

Also,

Ainsley McTree posted:

Obviously you should play in the way that’s fun for you and if that means roaming and clearing the map then go for it, but just know that you’re not expected to do this to win or anything, you can stop whenever you want.

WaltherFeng posted:

Are the skill points particularly valuable? Or something you definitely have to look out for?

White Orchard seems pretty small so I might as well do all of them just to get a feel for the game and ignore the rest if theres nothing particularly valuable.

Do you mean the places of power?
They're important in that they give you a free skill point and a temp bonus. Also they're cool to find by the sound they make while doing something else.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, a point of interest on the map can be anything. Unless it's in the middle of the sea, then it's probably a sunken treasure.

Edit: They're usually placed in interesting or scenic places.