Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

So any skills you guys consider to be essential? There's an absolute ton of the drat things but most of them just seem to be small percentage bonuses rather than anything dramatic.

I'm wondering too, since choices are permanent and there's so many (and you can only use a few at a time). The vitality one seems like a no brainer, like you said, and I also picked up sun and stars just so I could have automatic health regen without using items, but it's so slow that I'm honestly already regretting that choice. Better to just meditate for an hour or something if you're that worried about it and too broke for food.

I'm probably just going to be boring and pick up the damage upgrades in the swordsman tree but I too am curious if there are any "essential" upgrades in the others that I'm just not seeing the significance of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

looking around online, you can respec if you buy something called a potion of clearance, so I'm not too worried about choosing the wrong skills.

Oh, I didn't know that; I was going off the OP which said they were permanent.

Googling turned up a gamefaqs thread which seemed to indicate that using the potion won't allow you to restore points gained through visiting places of power, so I guess you'd have to go back and visit them again if you don't want to lose those points? That seems...clunky. Then again, it's a gamefaqs forums post so who knows.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Verranicus posted:

I barely even notice it. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

Unrelated, but how are you guys playing your Geralt? Sticking to the political neutral/money comes first sort of canon, or making him your own?

I'm only a little bit in, and I'm trying to be an "all about the money" mercenary but it's hard! I feel so bad for these peasants, I just want to let them keep their money.

I also have no idea if money will actually be useful in this game. I'm still in white orchard and am broke as hell, but I also don't feel too tempted to buy anything yet, I don't know if either side of that formula will change drastically as the game goes on.

Broken Cog posted:

Gwent seems a bit weird to me, like a lot of cards seem flat out better than others. Why would you ever use any card with a value of 1 or 2 and no special abilities?

Yeah I'm not in love with Gwent. I don't like that it's a deck building game, where your success depends on how good the cards you brought into the game are, I preferred dice poker, which was a level playing field every time. A shame that dice are out and almost definitely not coming back.

It's ok though, it's not like there's a lack of other stuff to do in this game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am sure it will be useful, but if it was anything like Witcher 2 your primary goldsinks will be diagrams and odd crafting components. If you can hold off on that you can just stick to alcohol and food

I'm a filthy casual that plans to play on easy (unless it's so mindlessly easy that I get bored, but so far that does not seem to be the case) so I'm probably going to skip out on most of the crafting stuff if I can, since I generally don't enjoy crafting in single player games (feels like busywork).

I guess I'll save my money to buy booze and overpriced equipment from merchants and see how far that gets me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

After the Ignicalypse of the first game they seem hellbent on ensuring Geralt not becoming a sorcerer.

I'm probably still going to keep using it on cooldown though, just because it looks really pretty.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the way I understand it is food heals at a set rate, the only difference is how long that rate goes for.

I guess you just want to stock up on foods with the highest duration then. Drinks tend to have longer durations but lower heal rates; I haven't sat down with a stopwatch and a calculator to determine if they're more or less efficient than foods but I'm a busy man with places to be so I'm betting on food.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

When you meditate it will consume 1 alcohol, preferring alcohest, and refill everything that isn't full- potions/bombs/oils all.

Is there an easy way to figure out what counts as "Alcohol" for this purpose? Anything falling under "alcohol" on the crafting tab, obviously, but I've only got two things unlocked in that tab. Does the beer and vodka you can buy in inns fit the bill, too?

By the way, this is a really hard game to play when you're trying to stop drinking

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sheep posted:

:siren: Protip time :siren: keep all of your green witcher gear (or the Kaed whatever armor at least). It's a linear upgrade path and without previous items you can't progress down the path, and AFAIK there's no way to locate poo poo if you've sold or dropped it somewhere, and the starting armor cannot be crafted later in the game.

In conclusion that's a really loving dumb game mechanic and I hope to god that something that fixes it is included in the next patch

Haha I noticed that there was an upgrade to the armor in white orchard (after I sold the armor, naturally); is there an upgrade chain that goes even beyond that is now impossible for me to follow? That sucks.

Oh well, there's other gear I suppose.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

You should finish them because of a thing we can't tell you without ruining it.

Seconded, it's worth it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Armor upgrade quests come from finding the maps. The maps tend to be sold by armorers and blacksmiths. You'll just have to visit all of them and hope you find the ones with it. Alternatively, you can skip that and just follow a guide, if you were so interested.

Yeah, I caved and just followed a guide. You "can" figure it out on your own but if you really want the upgrades (and you do, they're great and will carry you through the game) it's gonna save you a ton of time to just look it up in a guide, unfortunately.

But once you have them, you have them, and you don't have to worry about gear anymore and can enjoy the rest of the game blind.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Have any of the recent patches tweaked the expansion to make some of the bosses easier? I got stuck on the caretaker and just gave up because I kept losing. Which is really frustrating since I found the storyline fascinating.

And this is on the easiest mode. (Yes I suck at combat).

What level are you, and how good is your gear? I found that once I crafted myself a set of witcher gear, the difficulty pretty much evaporated and I actually had to turn it up. It makes a big difference, if you haven't tried it already.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

Cool, that's what I was hoping for.

I'm thinking I'll probably go for both light and strong attack damage and crit chance--I like switching it up too much to pick one style over the other--along with maybe Whirl and some Adrenaline Point abilities, with Acquired Tolerance + Synergy, Melt Armor, Delusion, and maybe Cat School Techniques. I really love the way the Ursine armor looks, but the attack power bonus from the Feline armor is really nice, and I'm guessing I'll get armor I might want to use over both in the DLCs.

Is there actually armor/swords in HoS that's better than witcher gear, or can I beat it easily with my master crafted ursine set and not worry about new loot?

I'm wondering the same thing about blood and wine but of course nobody would actually know that yet I suppose

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

extra stout posted:

I'm about halfway through the game and this jpg just confirmed I'm doing all of the rest of the griffin set now. How much work is it to upgrade armor sets? It feels like I dove into that cave to get the griffin armor recipes like two weeks ago and I'm just now finding the mats for the second piece, every craftsman I go to is the wrong kind or too low skill, next thing you know it you're always level 18 putting on your 'new' level 12 armor.

That's not the griffin set, FYI. I'm not sure what it is actually, but it looks cool.

If you want to start planning ahead for the most cool looking armor you can get, this page shows you most of the good endgame stuff and tells you how to get/craft it. I guess it's kind of spoilery if tracking down treasure maps and hunting down rare mats is the kind of thing you enjoy doing for yourself, but if you're like me and find that kind of thing to be tedious busywork, then clicking it will save you some time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i hope this heist in Hearts of Stone is as awesome and badass as the setup indicates.

Same, I just got to that part too. I only just got to the "we're doing a heist" intro so I dunno what's gonna happen but I like that, at least so far, it appears that I have the choice to let the retired guy just enjoy a quiet life :unsmith:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

That's the biggest thing in the main game I'm angry about - that I was completely fooled and didn't suspect a thing was wrong.

What's cool is that not everyone in the game is trying to deceive you, so sometimes you'll do a quest where you think someone's trying to pull one over you, so you pre-emptively gently caress them over, but then it turns out that they were on the level after all and it is you who should feel bad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Orv posted:

Gonna go ahead and say it should probably just be called Village of the Cunts for all time from here on out.

This works for me, since I don't remember it's real name.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo I'm embarrassed to say I just noticed something else. Every map marker and town, in the world map had a little blurb about the history or a description of that town. Did you know that Mulbrydale is one of the oldest villages and named due to a dumb rear end botanist and couldn't tell different trees apart, naming them all Mulberry trees? Holy Christ!

I could swear that this feature was added in in a subsequent patch at some point, I feel like I don't remember it being in the game at launch. Or maybe I just missed it!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

"....I found your card collection, Geralt"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just do what you want

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Goddamnit why couldn't I stop Djikstra from killing Roche without having to hand the north to Nilfgard :smith:

EDIT: speaking of Nilfgard I can't believe I didn't recognise Charles Dance up until now. No wonder I was thinking his voice acting was so loving perfect.

Yeah, I hate-loved that part. Politically, I 100% agreed with djikstra but...you gotta stand by your bro :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nycticeius posted:

People seem to love the Witcheress Ending. I don't get it - I wouldn't wish a witcher's life on anyone.

being empress of nilfgaard doesn't sound great for longevity either, to be fair

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Tree Spirit is the Crones' mother, who they sealed in the tree because she was hosed up even by their standards, so letting it go was probably not a good idea.

I killed the spirit on my first run through, however I felt dirty about it afterward because my underlying assumptions proved to be incorrect, so I'm definitely curious to see what happens when I make the opposite choice on my next playthrough.

It's one of the things I love about the game; you try to use video game logic to try and suss out what's going to happen as a result of your choices, and then the game surprises you by having actual good writing and doing something genuinely unexpected...you don't get that in a lot of games.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Helith posted:

he gave us talking Roach.

Thank you for your service.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Under no circumstances should you try to play dragon age (any of them) immediately after witcher. Toss in a call of duty game or something as a palate cleanser first.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In the same vein as that, I love the bit in blood and wine where Regis starts to explain that the redhead at the orphanage is also a vampire, and Geralt cuts him off with "yeah, figured it out already"

Kudos to the writers for giving the player a little credit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Joda posted:

Wait what orphanage? Is this part of the ending path that doesn't involve Rapnunzel hanging herself by her hair and the little match girl selling drugs and poo poo i.e. the worst one? Is it the same lady who hosted the artist party?

And I, on the other hand, haven't seen the scene that you are talking about! Something to look forward to on the next playthrough!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Joda posted:

Oh man, sorry. Didn't occur to me that I might be spoiling you :doh:

Haha it's ok. I took the risk knowing the potential consequences!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

rumble in the bunghole posted:

it's a little annoying because as a Witcher Geralt's holding a shiny silver sword on his back. The scene's tense as hell but there was that possible response that didn't come up.

Probably just didn't want o'dimm to shatter his sword

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I spent an embarrassingly long time running after mirrors. :shobon:

I actually ran out of time and died the first time. And came very close on the second :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Before selling things, it's worth it to check and see if it will dismantle into anything useful. Some of the best gear in the game is craftable gear (the witcher sets) and you'll usually find that there are a few bottleneck ingredients you always seem to be short on. Sometimes the relic gear will dismantle into it.

I don't remember off the top of my head what those ingredients are, unfortunately.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Move towards the guy, hold down attack for slow-motion and it's super easy to hit. Don't just mash attack because you'll never hit anything without a lot of luck.

Yeah, that's the key. Horse combat works a little differently.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drifter posted:

So, did you guys *really* think it was going to be anything other than what happened? Like, really?

Yeah, that one I didn't really feel too conflicted about. Given the players and the circumstances I didn't truly believe that I was going to burn a baby alive. It was still a fun quest, but it didn't pull on the "oh my god what do i do time is running out oh god just do something" chord that other quests in the game did so well.

The first quest I did that really made me feel that was the werewolf contract early on. And it was a goddamned sidequest. It really says something about this game that you can see something like a notice board or an exclamation mark over a random peasant's head and think "oh awesome I can't wait to see what this is." In any other game you'll just look at your XP bar and think "hmmm, guess I'd better" but in this one it's almost guaranteed to be a treat.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

fuckpot posted:

Thanks guys! The only quests I haven't done are gwent related ones (I'll focus on them on my second playthrough), fist-fighting ones, witcher contracts and treasure hunts. I'll probably do the treasure hunts and contracts before embarking on this run to the end. I got the Full Crew achievement so I guess I must have done everyone as right as possible.

Definitely do all the contracts, they're good and well-written. I also highly recommend the fist fighting quest line. It's more satisfying than you expect.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dumb question but which one is the "bad" ending again?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Apparently if you are too overbearing over the course of the game, after the final mission you hunt down the last Crone for Ciri's medallion, Geralt mentions she's dead, and the ending movie says something like Ciri disappeared and was never heard from again.

I got the witcher ending, it seemed so much more satisfying than the one I saw on YouTube where she just leaves to join the Nilfgaardians.

Oh wow. Who would do this?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It seemed obvious from the beginning that the Emperor and Nilfgaard were dickheads and it felt right to basically tell the emperor to gently caress off every chance I got, starting with not curtsying to him at the very beginning.

If you get a chance to fluster a manservant, you take it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Palpek posted:

HoS pro-tip (or not?) #2: when there's an option to gift something to Shani choose wine instead of other things. Something unheard-of in AAA gaming will happen thanks to this.

What happens again? I either can't remember or I never saw it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

She throws up while they're having sex.

Hahahaha. Yeah I think I'd remember that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, I feel like the game would be more witcher-immersive if it were tuned so that you were constantly broke and taking whatever work comes your way just to scrape by.

Not that I'm complaining that the game wasn't that way; in fact if it were, I would probably cheat. Just noticing that there's a dissonance between the idea of witchers being literal murder hobos who earn seventy cents on the dollar if they're lucky, and how things play out in the game. I like the game better I guess

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

124 crowns is all everyone in this town can scrounge up? Bullshit I got more than that just by stealing everything in your huts right in front of you

That actually is kind of lore-appropriate from what I remember of the books (or maybe just earlier games?). People just basically like screwing over witchers as hard as they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Witchman
"A witchman is by some called a witcher. Summoning him is dangerous, yet he must be called at times. When none can stand against an accursed monster, a witchman will. Do not touch the witchman, for you will become mangy. Remember also to hide the lasses from him, for the witchman is lecherous beyond imagination. Though the witchman craves silver, never pay him more than the following: a silver penny for a drowner, two silver pennies for a werecat, four silver pennies for a vampire."

Occurrence
Witchmen roam the roads where monsters live; they spend winters in their keeps, where they plot and perfect their swordsmanship

Immunity
Witchmen never get ill and tend to be resistant to venoms and charms, for they are themselves enchanted beings

Susceptibility
They run from the sound of church bells; their greed for women is only surpassed by their greed for silver

Tactics
A witchman is a master of the sword and sinister spells

Alchemy
They are skilled alchemists, they create potions that make their eyes glow in the dark

The best part is that that's like 80% true