Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Cool, the mentally ill have turned up early for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

You'd think they wouldn't be a big deal to turn off either?

I think I"m actually going to put the game on the shelf for a little while to see if they add in the option or if someone can mod them out. You can turn off every other part of the HUD and the whole screen will be taken up by these gorgeous graphics as you slice up monsters and blood spatters.

Except for right where you're looking. Where you will see

Good thing they locked that on, I might have been looking at the game world.

You should def shelve the game until you get your Anafranil script filled.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

I only have 22 units, and some of them are garbage like 2 strength Yarpin Zigrin. I have two decoys, two Biting Frost because Melee is my weakest unit type, 1 rain, 1 fog, and two decoys. I am using the second Foltest because it gives you a sunshine, so I dont run a sunshine in my deck. I'm just having horrible luck.

I'm doing okay with a Northern deck, but I need draw at least two of decoy, spy, or medic. If I don't have at least two from that group, I forfeit and try again. I'm low level in Velen, but I'm considering making a run into Novigrad to buy a Scorch and a second Catapult for the bond.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

If I had to guess he's using a particular Youtube video of Letho's conversation as his reference. Problem is, the video in particular skips over the entire branch where Geralt drills him on the fine points of the assassination scheme.

Either way he's being one tedious mother fucker

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I'm only level 12, but I just respecced into an alchemy build, and man is it nice. It feels weird after playing the first two games as sign builds. I still put some points into Quen, Axii, and the fast attack damage, but being able to always have a decoction going along with a couple of potions is pretty amazing. Every encounter I have some combination of enhanced defense, attack, and vitality. And I'm blowing everything up with bombs.

I can't wait until I get another few levels so I can grab the bear armor and be a bomb-throwing junkie tank.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Swedish Horror posted:

Is it ever explained why Radovid goes crazy and starts his witch hunts? Also, what did Phillipa do to piss the entire world off?

If you choose Iorveth's path in W2 you find out that Radovid is a pretty much a monster. As he leaves Loc Muinne he watches people being murdered, mutilated, raped, impaled, and burnt alive, and he stands there smirking with smug satisfaction.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

That happens in either path if you don't rescue Triss. (When you rescue Triss she places the blame entirely on Sile, instead of the Letho and the Nilfgaardians blaming the Lodge of Sorceresses as a whole).

Ah, I always save Triss because it makes the most sense from a role playing perspective. No matter what the stakes are, Geralt always seems like he would pick saving one of the handful of people he actually cares about.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

So I finally have some time to play more of this. I'm level 12 in Novigrad, and I started Lambert's quest, but not the main one. It recommends level 11, and I'm at the point where I'm supposed to go to Skellige to find someone, but the Destination Skellige quest recommends level 16 I think. Should I wait to finish it, or can I do Lambert's quest without getting destroyed by higher level monsters?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Cool. I wanted to do a few more quests before getting into the Triss stuff.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

CitrusFrog posted:

Now I'm waiting for someone to post a link to a news article about a fat nerd dying while attempting to kung fu several angry canines.

At least he's not trying to guard his pupkins with a shotgun.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

I think you missed the schematic, as I recall it's not on the corpse of the wyvern at all, there are a bunch of chests in the tower. Standing across from the tower where you fight the wyvern, cross the bridge and there's a ladder immediately to your right. Climb it and the schematics are in a chest there. If your quest log didn't update you didn't actually find the schematics.

As I recall this is correct. Also I was able to beat that Wyvern at level 7 or so in that room because it had problems turning around in cramped quarters. It took a long time, but i just stayed behind it as much as possible, rolling out and popping Quen and using potions and healing items when he managed to bite me, then rolling back into position behind him.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Patch 1.07 sounds pretty amazing. Guess I will hold off on playing until it drops.
Wow, this isn't even everything, but this is pretty great

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/07/the_witcher_3_is_going_to_be_even_better_with_its_ps4_patch_107

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Patch 1.07 Notes
A new, alternative (optional) movement response mode for Geralt.
A player stash for storing items, available in various locations throughout the game. Stash locations are marked on the player's map.
Crafting and alchemy components no longer add to the overall inventory weight.
Books are now placed in a dedicated tab in the Inventory and books that have already been read are properly grayed out.
Multiple sorting options are now available in the Inventory.
Alchemy formulas and crafting diagrams can be "pinned", meaning all components and ingredients required to make them will be conveniently marked in the Shop panel.
Dozens of fixes for quest related issues, both major and minor.
A few performance enhancements, including the optimization of FX, scenes and general gameplay.
Various improvements to horse behavior.

I just finished Ugly Baby, so I guess I'll take a break and play Arkham Knight until this drops.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if the velen story quests are not grabbing you then its not going to get much better, novigrad is more palatable if you make sure to go to witcher contracts and poo poo in the surrounding area every other mission or so

Doing this, and taking a Werewolf decoction so I could run at full speed in Novigrad made it a more enjoyable experience than some people seemed to have. There's no reason to stay in the city banging out quest after quest. I also went to Skellige and did some sidequests way before I cleared out the main line in Novigrad (ok maybe I went so I could get more cards).

Also, once you get Dandelion, his quest starts out like a typical fetch quest and takes a really dark turn. It ended up being a pretty incredible experience.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I have to make a new set of swords because the superior griffin ones I was using before the patch suddenly have a higher level than before the patch that's now one level higher than I am. Same thing with the crossbow I was using before the patch. What a crock of poo poo. Sure as gently caress wasn't in the update notes either.

I feel bad for anyone in the middle of a quest they can't leave and having this happen if they don't carry back-up swords and gear.

I quit playing for a week to wait for the patch, and the last thing I did was get the Superior Ursine schematics, and now I'm three levels short of being able to use any of it. I'm thinking about taking a half hour and using the Path of the Warrior XP glitch to get up to 30, just because I like to change appearance every so often, and I was looking forward to having a different look to the Enhanced Ursine gear.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Gwent rules, and making people wait during quests while you play cards adds a whole layer of characterization to Geralt.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Witcher 3 sucks, it's basically just Hearthstone but you walk around on occasion. You should play Dragon Age Inquisition instead, no game-breaking card games there.

The main quest in DA is earning gently caress Points so you can enter the Bone Zone. Saving the world is the side mission.

You can also find the body of the first Gwent guy later on and loot his card from his rotting corpse.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The Golden Man posted:

This game is kind of fun but it goes on tooooooo long. My guy is trying to find Dandelion or whatever and hes killed like 1200 people and made a play and searched and rode all over hells half acre - like a drat errand boy.. this guy wastes too much time

After you find Dandelion, make sure you do his quest. It has a psych out beginning but it gets good I promise.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Soulex posted:

I remember it said that there is no place training witchers anymore. Why is that? Why isn't uncle drunky face teaching anyone?

The mutation process is really horrific. Only 3 in 10 boys survive it. Some of the boys don't even survive the preparation stage before the mutation process begins. Keep playing the story and you'll understand why by the end of Act II.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

alex314 posted:

I think you could just defend for some time, like that other time near Novigrad.

I heard that, so I tried defending for a good three minutes, and then tried taking them all down to half health. Didn't work. I don't think I did any finishers on them, so I guess they could just be seriously wounded or something.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Dongattack posted:

I'm a bit late to this, but in HoS there is a new merchant/enchanter guy that can make it so your armor counts as light/medium/heavy no matter what it originally was. I used that in my old sign build with Ursine chest and then random signboosting witcher gear in the other slots and i was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the sign power cap. Super expensive to build up that merchant to that point tho.

Thanks for this info! I was just about to start HoS, and I respecced my postgame Geralt into signs, and I really didn't like the look of Mastercrafted Griffon Armor. I'm on PS4 so I couldn't mod it, this is the next best thing for sure.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'd been using the stamina-healing decoction (echdina?) to heal for most of the game. It doesn't seem to work all that well in combat but it's very satisfying to charge the health bar back up by making Geralt hop up and down in place. The alt-Quen thing sounds better though, since it saves some decoction space.

The Ekhidna Decoction is great for a signs build because you can blast a group or stun a large monster with Aard Sweep, which will heal a chunk of health and give you some space to plan your next move.

All builds should probably put points into Acquired Tolerance. A few points lets you run with 2 decoctions and you can still chug potions. My version of Geralt is always so toxic the grass should die when he steps on it.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

iGestalt posted:

I know that Blood and Wine is set after the main story and thus meant to be played post-game.

When is Hearts of Stone meant to be taken on? Post-game before B&W or some other time during the main story? Can't work it out, atm.

HoS can be played during or after the main story. There are a few lines of dialogue/character reactions that will happen if you play during, but nothing major. You probably won't be leveled enough until post-game though. Or until the very end of the main story when it will seem odd to skip out on all the people you've gathered.

Then again everyone would just think Geralt paused saving the world so he could go play Gwent somewhere.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Sindai posted:

I remember in Hearts of Stone there's a monster hunt quest that leads through an incredibly creepy almost-abandoned village with a single old couple living in it. I was certain they were some horrible monsters in disguise so I interrogated them and examined every inch of abandoned buildings, finding absolutely nothing. It turned out they were just there and the culprit was some completely unrelated monsters nearby.

Unless I missed something.

You did.

They're cannibals and you can find a hidden cellar with the halfling's dismembered corpse on a table.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Annual Prophet posted:

Is there anything (irrespective of genre) that compares to W3 in terms of having memorable and well defined characters, a deep and well integrated story that that makes even the (many) side quests compelling, meaningful choices and at least some open world elements? I found W3 amazing, and I’m playing through W2 right now, which I’m also really liking for pretty much the same reasons.

Red Dead Redemption and Horizon Zero Dawn are probably the best ones after W3. HZD seems like a lonely open world experience at first, but things change when you reach the big city.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

It's very stable and snappy on the PS5, but the LOD is still slightly worse than the One X as far as console performance goes. I was going to wait until the new version came out for the PS5 later this year, but I couldn't wait and I have some real doubts that the PS5/Series X version will actually make it out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Talk about a gut punch of a loving bug. After putting a good 60-70 hours into the main game and Hearts of Stone, Avallach is bugged on the last loving main story mission. After you do the trio of Skellige missions to prepare to face the Wild Hunt, you go to the ship tell him you’re ready, and it won’t trigger the cutscene. It’s a known bug since December and I’m not the only one who’s been hit by it. No amount of loading earlier saves and replaying missions will fix it. Lots of people have tried workarounds and nothing has worked.

gently caress. This might be the worst bug I’ve ever had in a game. The amount of time you have to play to even get to it is pretty ridiculous.