Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm so excited for this stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here are a couple of videos to refresh your memories of the first two games if you are like me and roleplay being Geralt in real life and hardly remember them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Will GoG automatically unlock and download the necessary files when the game is released or will I need to click on something to get it to do that?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

You'll probably have to finish downloading it or whatever. Like, running the installer again.

zen death robot posted:

I'm guessing if you try to run it and it's missing something it'll auto-patch

Sounds good, thanks.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I don't remember if I asked this in the other thread, but does anyone know how much of the game you can play as with the girl character? She looks cool

I want to say reviews said 8-10 hours? I might be misremembering though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Speaking of, how old is Ciri supposed to be? Was she still a teenager or something the last time Geralt sees her in the books?

She was 13-14 in the books, I believe. I haven't read them, just going off what I've heard elsewhere.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Orv posted:

Let's get loving nerdy for two seconds;

The books state she's born 1251, the first game takes place in 1273. You may now math.

Possible screenshot spoilers/speculation, nothing major:

I have a feeling W3 is going to have flashbacks or something, going by some screenshots I've seen. There was one where she looks super young and tinier than others

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

bloodsacrifice posted:

I'm confused now. I thought ps4 version was released. Or are those just review copies?

Never mind I'll look it up.

There has been a lot of retail leaks of mostly PS4 and a few X1 copies. Positive experiences from both, from what I've read.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

RatHat posted:

I mean enemy traps.

Ciri isn't your enemy.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Delacroix posted:

It looks like the grass is missing in the middle ground (around the bare trees) and towards the right hand side (behind the fluttering banner) of that screenshot. The trees on the hill looks a little clean without bark? They're still 3D so it shouldn't stand out at a glance.

I think that accusation is pretty weak considering bethesda is stupid enough to create any elevated area on their gamebyro engine when it lets you see the LoD noise in its hideous glory. And the faraway enemies clipping through the ground. Judging by the screenshots so far, the devs are smart enough to create areas that hide engine limitations than make really crappy ones that people have to mod away (that might screw up other areas with random CTDs for added value).

I also noticed that there is a blue pixel (upper left) below the flag (left hand upper left) that is bleeding into the ground (center object)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

*looks at screenshot* Holy poo poo that looks amaz...

.. What? I just... Do I not have the eyes to see this poo poo? Am I just not a graphics snob?

Please, look carefully.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
CDPR have PR in their name for a reason.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 17, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I remember reading an interview with one of the devs, and they said they didn't want to show off pc ultra until release because they wanted to give pc players "a bit of a slap to the face". It's obviously not how they meant it but with all this downgrade talk, that's pretty funny.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Does anybody know offhand if the new nvidia drivers improve performance for single cards? Or is it just a sli profile and stuff like that? I can't check until later.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
:siren: :siren::siren: GoG version is OUT and playable :siren: :siren: :siren:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I've played for a little bit more than 4 hours, and had the game freeze 4-5 times. Almost every time when in the inventory and reading something. One time when I was looting a container. Latest Nvidia driver cleanly installed on my 980/4770k stock clocks on Win 8.1 on ultra settings with Hairworks turned off. For you PC guys, it's not listed in the controls but F5 is quicksave. Also, make sure to make manual saves. Finished up with White Orchard in those 5 hours. Can we come back to this area after we leave, does anyone know?

Also, I have the difficulty set to the one below the hardest, and I'm personally finding it kind of easy. It almost seems bugged, like that Alter of Power area in White Orchard wraith I hit it like 3 times and got it to half health then it retreated and it only took like 2-3 more hits to kill it completely I was level 3 I think when I fought it. Does that seem right to anyone else? I might end up bumping it all the way up.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 19, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

Did that, didn't help, but probably because I wasn't specific. By crash I mean constant hard freezes in menus. Game is neat but this is basically unplayable.

Edit: Googled the problem and saw this, trying it out now, will report back with findings. "For those who are experiencing freezing in your inventory or cutscenes try setting Witcher 3 to prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel. You have to go into manage 3d settings, its under the program settings tab. Some guy named BrotherJayne mentioned the fix in the Witcher forums. I've been goofing around in my inventory for 10 minutes so far and no crash yet. Tell me if it works for you."

I'll definitely try that. I won't get a chance to play more until tomorrow evening, but I was getting the freezes strictly in inventory/loot screens, I'll let people know if this helps me.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Silentgoldfish posted:

Where do you go to change hairstyles? I've gotten out of the prologue and into no man's land.

GuyCastle posted:

I'd like to know that too. Haven't fought the griffin yet but Geralt's beard is starting to get pretty long.

You have to leave White Orchid. There is one in Novigrad at least.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

GuyCastle posted:

In Galaxy, there's an option called configure and if you've installed the DLC there should be checkboxes next to the DLC names. But I agree that it is rather hard to tell with galaxy. I ended up just downloading the executables from the gog website just to be sure.

This should go in the OP

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Gilganixon posted:

I don't know why they call them DLCs if everyone gets them with the game, they're just part of the game really

I think he's talking about the expansions.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

This should go in the OP

I had these downloaded, which is confusing enough since they show up as a free item that you have to "purchase" and then checkout before they even download. But then you have to go and click on a tiny icon and configure to enable them, I really think this should be in the OP for people who got this game through GoG/Galaxy.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Scandalous posted:

Oh god I have no idea which of my billion Witcher 2 saves is which

The ones that have this picture

are your end game saves, if that helps narrow it down.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Gishin posted:

But yeah, is what was shown in my video about the same as it for everyone else on that difficulty?

That's what it's like for me. For your friend that it takes 40 hits, is your weapon damaged? Maybe his waepon has a lot less health then ours? You guys are the same level too?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Tip: On horseback, if you hold the attack button down it slows down time letting you line up your attacks better. The attack doesn't start until you release the button.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 19, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

botany posted:

And where do I find those fixes?

The two I've read are turning off v-sync and/or setting power management to "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia control panel.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Thank you CDPR for making the startup splashscreens skippable

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Verranicus posted:

I can't for the life of me find the herbalist in White Orchard.

It comes up as you follow the Main Quest When you talk to the Nilf Captain guy you have two people he wants you to talk with for more information regarding the griffon. She is one of them

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
For you guys on ps4 that are having a hard time with small text, I came across this
"After struggling to read the tiny text in my inventory and other areas, I discovered that the PS4 now has a zoom function. You can enable it under Settings and Accessibility. Once you do, you can click the PS4 button and the square and the screen zooms in. You can't make any choices while zoomed, but you can scroll around and read stuff."

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

Is there a way to disable the paragraphs of text beneath the minimap telling you how to do your quest?

There is an HUD option in the options to turn that off, I believe.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I set the fps cap to unlimited and also changed the setting to perform max performance in the nvidia control panel and haven't had a crash in over 5 hours. Before doing that I had about 4 in four hours all while in inventory.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Does playing on the hardest difficulty give you better drops? I watched a bit of the prerelease GoG stream last week and when he was fighting the griffon he started off on the hardest difficulty setting, then turned it down and he mentioned something about not being able to get a certain drop. Is that something that made it into the final game or am I misremembering/misheard what he said?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

admataY posted:

Am I going crazy or is there a little annoying metal cling sound with every step you take after the latest patch ?

It was there before the patch.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/601345976335491072

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm really enjoying the combat, actually. Yeah, it's not super TIGHT, but it's pretty drat good. The best open world RPG combat I've played, as far as I can remember. Agreed with item durability, it really sucks. One thing that took me too long to realize is that repair all repairs everything in your inventory. Wish they had a button to just repair equipped items. Either way though, I hope they tune the degradation a bit, either slow it down or make it cheaper to fix.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Is there a place that sells Venom Extract? Or what enemy drops it? I think that's what it was called, it was a brown "epic" drop/item that I sold to somewhere, and I need it to craft my Viper swords.

vvvvvvvvvv awesome, thanks man.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 22, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Just had sex.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
For the people who don't like the sex, what is it you exactly don't like about it and how far along are you? It's rough at the start, but as I've grasped the techniques, like feinting and causing them to come towards you as you dodge out of the way and maneuver behind them to stab them is extremely satisfying.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

I have no idea what sorcery CDPR did but the game went from nigh unplayable up to 38-50 FPS for me on my rig which is impressive considering my video card. I hope the next patch won't ruin that for me.

They turned texture quality to low ;) Don't obsess over it and just enjoy the newfound performance.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

I love how looting a cabinet that is near a candle requires as much fine analog control as aiming a scoped sniper rifle.

I'm sorry you can't RPG and instead feel the need to constantly 360 noscope in this renowned wide open world roleplaying game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

He is right thought, it's almost impossible to loot some cabinets because you keep turning on and off the candle on it.

I don't have that problem, maybe learn how to move your mouse/thumbstick with some grace?