Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Close this thread, and go back to the other one. It seemed a little more focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Man. Just caught up reading all of THAT. I love how COMTE kept their head down until it all blew over.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

Roche wasn't in Witcher 1. You bro'd up with Sigfried instead.

Sigried is the coolest person in history...with that hair cut.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

Unless your CPU is really old, I wouldn't worry about it. A German site underclocked their i7-4790K to 2 Ghz and was still getting decent framerates on ultra.

I've never heard this term before. Just for my own clarification, is underclocking at factory settings or below that?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So this downgrading stuff. Are some people upset because they think they're being lied to and the game won't look as good as promised or do they think the game actually looks bad. Because I can't believe my eyes when I watch some of these videos. Hell my wife, who never thinks anything looks good, thought one of the screen shots was a painting.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

^^^It does seem like it's worse than usual. I can only hope that people find something else to discuss in the coming weeks.

Hasn't what-if gaming been called a bullshit site or am I misremembering it? I have never heard of them before this and can't say with any validity if they are to be taken seriously or not.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is like a legal battle. Just watched the 2013 trailer and I assume the thing people get upset about is the part that says "in-game footage." So it's sort of up to you on how you take that.

Honestly, developers should probably just avoid saying it all together.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

New trailer just came out on Witcher youtube page. Lots of cameos from past games in this one. And holy poo poo the facial expressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBoCRYX6Vq0

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Didn't you guys hear, Witcher 3 was downgraded from a video game to a piece of toast. The graphics aren't as good, but now you can spread jam on it! Or butter! Or both! It's your choice

What about cream cheese. This is very important.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is that supposed to be better or worse?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Played this a bit last night and this morning. Ran it on Ultra with the hair works turned all the way up and it's been a steady beautiful ride.

Even my daughter was enjoying it. She saw me picking some flowers and wanted to do it too. She did this for like 30 minutes having a blast. GOTY in my household :).

Just wanted to check, which is better? SSAO or HBAO?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I didn't read all the new posts, but has anyone brought up downgrades since the game came out or is everyone pretty satisfied with the PC/PS4/XBox1 versions?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I had to turn off the motion blur and the blur. It was just too much for me. Speaking of which, what's the difference between blur and motion blur.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I might just not pay close enough attention, but it seems like there is some kind of big disconnect between witcher 2 and the third one. Like, there were people and witches and a dragon but suddenly we are chasing down yennifer and there are suddenly good witchers again?

Really the only thing that seems to have connected it is that the world is going to poo poo and a sorceress hinted that Yennifer is still around

I think they stated it's been at least a year since Witcher 2 and the end of Witcher 2 you find out where Yennifer is so it makes sense that you've been going after her and it's taken a while since she was pretty far away.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Got past the first open world portion last night. Man this game is fun to just ride around and get lost in. And these facial animations aren't loving around. That part at the end when the girl starts slamming the innkeep's face into the bar and you have to kill all the bandits is pretty intense. The look on Geralt's face when he tries to help the innkeep and she's cowering from him really sells just how alone he is and how getting involved might not actually be worth it.

I also dug how cold Yennifer is coming off after you finally get to her. I am honestly wondering if I'm going to persue a relationship with her or Triss. If that's even a choice.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love the sound design on this too. I was walking through a forest and the weather changed to windy. I though the trees were going to come down on me it sounded so good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

As a person who cracked out on Witcher 1 back in the day, I can't tell you how psyched I was when I found the monocle in the first area when investigating that spy mission. I know what's coming...

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

About the quests sometimes not having any good ending, I know of at least one that came out feeling pretty good. Devil in the Well First you put a haunted spirit to rest and you save a little girl's life. You can even do it for free so she'll still have a dowry.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wanted to back up something Drifter said earlier. I am able to run this on ultra with a steady 35 to 45 fps. When I turned graphics onto high and kept hair works all the way up, I'm getting 60 easy.

I7-4790K, gtx 970, and 6 gigs ram btw.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Played a bunch more last night. I feel bad for anyone rushing through the game. It's a blast to just take your time and find little things while roaming around. And I'm only in the 2nd area so far.

Also, at any opportunity I'm telling buds to go hang out at my Witcher stronghold. I hope my ending is just stocking that place full of the coolest peeps and saying gently caress you to the rest of the continent.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Any idea if you eventually have to make a choice between Yennifer and Triss? If so I think I'm going with Yennifer this time because it just feels right that Geralt is so whipped (doesn't stop him from getting with others though apparently).

One of my favorite comments in the game so far was when I was trying to talk this person out of making a really bad decision and she says "Maybe one day you'll stop Yennifer from treating you like a dog but I don't bring that up at every opportunity to rub it in your face." Geralt looked so hurt.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I let her keep the notes in the Witcher stronghold because I didn't see any reason to fight her on it. Also when it came to the bones, I picked bringing the guy to the tower because don't trust ghosts. I wanted to see what happened if I took the bones out though, and when you read the character journal it's pretty loving bad. You are directly responsible for releasing a plague that wipes out a city.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I didn't know it was a plague wraith, though I guess I could have figured it out based on the wizard working on disease stuff. I had explored the tower already so I think I missed a bunch of exposition with Keira on that. Hopefully plaguing the city doesn't happen in-game, I feel guilty.

Look at this monster. If you don't see it, I guess it's ok in your book. I bet you didn't even help that troll with his painting!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cephalocidal posted:

Haven't seen how it plays out yet, but yeah, same. I wasn't about to let Radovid get his hands on that plague research, even if he wasn't backed into a corner and already provably willing to do some pretty intense poo poo. I also wasn't willing to point the most self-centered and amoral sorceress I've met (and that's saying a lot) in the direction of home. I didn't even feel bad about killing her.

There is no way she's any more self-centered and amoral than Phillipa or Sile.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Installed 2 mods that worked like a charm if anyone is into that kind of thing. One gives merchants more money and makes them pay more for your stuff. The other lets you increase the amount of experience you get. No issues with them.

Also, can I just say that exasperated Geralt is my favorite Geralt. His reaction when this guy won't help him unless you find his pet goat is just so loving perfect.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When putting some mods in I found a soundtrack, map, wallpapers, art work and art book folders. This is for anyone who installed it on Steam.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RatHat posted:

There's a book that elaborates a bit on the tree ghost. It was the witches' "mother" and they killed it because it went crazy and was killing everyone. Then they imprisoned its spirit under the tree. Both the witches and the tree ghost are evil but siding with the tree ghost results in a lot more death.

I looked at it like this. Which option can save a bunch of innocent children. gently caress those crones.

Also, just met a godling in Novingrad and she said the cutest thing.
Godling: "You're really nice you know."
Geralt: "Hmmm, don't hear that often...thank you."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Well I stayed up all last night and I'm still loving this game. Man it's so satisfying confronting Whoreson Jr.

A couple of questions. What is the name of the serial killer quest and where can you get it?
Also, if you help with the plot to assassinate the King, will it actually come to fruition? I found Thaler and the quest was marked as complete.

Oh and if you look for Phillipa before Triss leaves, will you actually find her? As it is I found her megascope crystal and gave it to the King and that was the end.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Finally got Dandelion back and man the first poo poo out of his mouth is to blame me. I love this guy. He gets all of Geralt's glares.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Everyone hating Witchers makes it all the more special when someone's nice to you. Godlings and Witchers ride together and die together.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

Poor Kalkstein, he was a pretty cool guy

He went out like a loving boss though.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've read a few articles where people referred to the mainline story as being boring, but I can't relate with them. Playing Geralt as a worried father just hits so close. The look he has when a changling transforms into Ciri, who he has not seen in years, is so loving wrenching. A great line too. "This was a bad idea."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

My only quibbles so far are that Roach is dumb as poo poo and seems to like to run into things and come to a dead stop while I'm trying to runaway from a level bajillion monster and that the GPS-type thingy seems to bug out every now and then and want you to run in a circle and almost never offers the shortest path to the next destination.

The only thing a good thing a Roach needs is silence.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Levantine posted:

I'm very slow with games like this so I'm still poking through at level 7. I just started the Fyke Isle quest and goddamn, talk about atmosphere. Witcher 3 scratches an itch I didn't really know I had. It's very good.

EDIT: when will something other than light armor start dropping. It's been slim pickings so far.

I had this exact feeling when the Witcher 1 came out. They just nail atmosphere and you really want to visit that world. (Only as the biggest and baddest member of one of the most badass factions in the world.)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ending question spoiler So if you do one of the endings where Ciri lives, is it implied that the White Frost will still destroy the world one day?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sauer posted:

Hoping that a future DLC is a quest to follow up on your threat to "repay" the crones for their "kindness". Of course given that Vellen is a peasant misery simulator killing them will be a double edged sword in some way.

Spoiler for this: They can be killed. From one of the endings I've seen, it looks like Ciri kills 2 of them, and you can go on a suicide mission to kill the 3rd one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It shouldn't keep happening 70 hours in, but I keep getting surprised by this game. My friend was over and we were playing around. We were doing this one quest and decided to just run there. By the time we finished the original quest, we had finished 3 others and had 2 more in the journal. He was blown away.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ra-amun posted:

Real end game spoilers.

Did anyone else just stop and look around during the Conjunction of Spheres bit? Had to stop to look at the planet in the sky just wondering how terrifying that would be. They also didn't really say how hosed Undvik would be during the credits did they? Ice giants, forktails and arachas absolutely everywhere.

I really loved the sci-fi theme underlying the fantasy setting. I'd love to play a CDPR game set around or soon after the Conjunction of Spheres just for the whole clashing of worlds.

or I guess any CDPR game at this point honestly, they have probably ruined me for other RPGs

The whole spheres thing is such a great way to connect any game they make.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if this is something ya'll are experiencing or can help me with, but a lot of times when I move, there are little lines that appear in the video. They look like when v-sync is turned off, where one part of the screen seems to catch up with the other. Thing is, I have vsync turned on. Any idea what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

Finally arrived at Skellige, swam around in the first bay there for a bit while some cool music played. A whale rose out of the water, started to dive back in, then the animation froze with the tail sticking up in the air. Majestic. :v:

The whale brought my performance to a screeching halt as well.