Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Axiom Verge is a 2D, faux-8-bit, Metroid(not vania)-inspired platformer in development since 2010 by Tom Happ. He made the gameplay, music, visuals, and story, the entire thing is pretty much the work of one dude, which makes it all the more incredible that everything except maybe the story are absolutely top notch. The visuals are outstanding, the music is intense and appropriate, and the gameplay is extremely fun and rewarding. It's available for PC, Mac, Linux, and PS4 currently.

If you'd like to buy it, I'm currently offering a special full 15% discount(which I don't normally do anymore due to the recent TF2 economy crash) on the game in my SA-Mart thread. I just want this game to get more exposure. It debuted on Steam the same day the Capcom sale began, and with that and the Witcher 3 hype train, it was completely and utterly eclipsed, getting bumped off the top seller list within half a day of release. It deserves better.

Check out the Giant Bomb quick look of it for a good idea of what to expect, the first half hour or so goes through the first two bosses and shows off a few different weapons, ending with the acquisition of the Address Disruptor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA0nGgcwEJM&hd=1

The story follows Trace, a Gordon Freeman-esque lab grunt who gets hurled into a hostile alien deathworld after a Resonance Cascade-esque event. He meets mysterious(and massive) biomechanical heads attached to hundreds of wires called Rusalki, who guide him and help him through this world to stop the genocidal madman, Athetos. With many bosses, nearly a dozen hours of gameplay(more if you 100% it), an incredible soundtrack, truly amazing visuals, and a pretty surprisingly decent story, it's absolutely worth a buy.

Links:
Axiom Verge website
Axiom Verge guides, including spoiler-free versions

A screenshot sampler

And the Address Disruptor in action:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Everyone who likes Metroid get this game. Get it now. It's really good and the atmosphere is great. I especially like the Address Disruptor gameplay, it's very fun and rewarding to discover how the game will "glitch".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Definitely. How many Glitch Worlds are there? I found two through my playthrough. Diving back in to collect the stuff I missed.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
A net search says they are randomly located and there are at least four. I found one thanks to some glitchy graphics on a wall that disappeared as I approached.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, alright.

How do I get to this fucker? Tried everything, teleporting against every wall around the room to find an alternate way to it, teleporting against every surface inside the room, nada.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I'm not that far but I remember reading somewhere about being stuck in a room with 4 laser beams on a walkthrough site so I suggest googling it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm not that far but I remember reading somewhere about being stuck in a room with 4 laser beams on a walkthrough site so I suggest googling it!
Wow, the solution turned out to be incredibly obtuse.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh boy! I just love pc games with xbox controller only tutorials.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

It's a drat metroid style game man, maybe whip out the gamepad for this one yeah?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
This is the first time in like 20 years that I've systematically gone around every room and checked every wall in a game, and I'm loving it.

My one complaint is that the teleport-dash is awkward and slow with the analogue stick. It's my own drat fault for not just using the d-pad though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The teleport dash is probably my one major complaint, in that I'd prefer having a button you hit while holding a direction to activate it, rather than the awkward double-tap.

Also, that 4-laser-barrier in Mar-Uru is defeated by glitching one of the dudes in the previous room, getting him to move to a specific part of the screen, then walking through the door and he'll appear inside the box with the beam deactivation orb and shoot it.

Obtuse as hell

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

The teleport dash is probably my one major complaint, in that I'd prefer having a button you hit while holding a direction to activate it, rather than the awkward double-tap.

Also, that 4-laser-barrier in Mar-Uru is defeated by glitching one of the dudes in the previous room, getting him to move to a specific part of the screen, then walking through the door and he'll appear inside the box with the beam deactivation orb and shoot it.

Obtuse as hell

This was horseshit, there's no way you'd find this out except by accident.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grapplejack posted:

This was horseshit, there's no way you'd find this out except by accident.

Yeah. There's a few of them like that. Most of the hidden stuff isn't completely ridiculous like that though, which is good. There's one really good one with a similar thing, where you need to hack the laser-guy through a wall, then control him to guide him up through a small maze and shoot the deactivation orb. That one was really clever and reminded me of one of the harder item puzzles in Zero Mission or Metroid Fusion.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That one was clever and the other password puzzles were fun and cool, but that one was just lovely. It isn't even established that it's a mechanic that you can do.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shaquin posted:

It's a drat metroid style game man, maybe whip out the gamepad for this one yeah?

Actually, I did. Control config hung because my controller's too old and I didn't feel like digging out 360ce.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shaquin posted:

Depends. I still have a PS/PS2-styled 'gamepad'. I believe there's Saturn-styled ones out there too.

I see your point. I see his, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would also like to point out that the soundtrack for this game is fuckin' aces.

Out of a soundtrack full of outstanding music, Trace Rising(the boss theme) is probably among my favorites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk55tNpYNgc

Apocalypse, the final boss theme, is also real drat rad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc_g9uI6URU

Anything with air raid sirens in it is probably going to be good, also likely why I like Nuclear Fusion so much, too

Trace Awakens, the starting zone music, is fantastic too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMQ4xit5JGg

It's all great though, the whole soundtrack is. Probably going to actually buy it, to be honest. The more I listen to it the more I realize just how good, overall, the entire thing is.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 18, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Grapplejack posted:

That one was clever and the other password puzzles were fun and cool, but that one was just lovely. It isn't even established that it's a mechanic that you can do.

Wait a minute, are you talking about the password screen from the menus? I haven't touched that thing because I thought it was for enabling cheats.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Well to be fair this game makes it very difficult to draw the line between cheating and normal gameplay.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, I have a SNES controller for these things, give me my SNES layout tutorial.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Very cool game that hides stuff really well. I love the pacing and style. I think the main guys portrait looks really dorky.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Captain Invictus posted:

I would also like to point out that the soundtrack for this game is fuckin' aces.

After watching the Giant bomb quicklook I had to find out the PC release date just for the music

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chinaman7000 posted:

Very cool game that hides stuff really well. I love the pacing and style. I think the main guys portrait looks really dorky.

Axiom verge review

+ great gameplay, music, visuals
- trace's hair really sucks

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
If I can make another criticism, the handling of trace is perfect BUT with the grappling hook.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If I can make another criticism, the handling of trace is perfect BUT with the grappling hook.

I stopped trying to use it like it was Bionic Commando and just pressed the grapple button constantly until I got where I needed to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, so I 100%'d it. A few questions on the (secret?) ending: is there a different secret ending, or is it the one where Athetos shows up at your house and kills you with a handgun for trying to get back to Sudra? I must've missed something, where'd that come from?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Jesus gently caress your avatar is annoying.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I stopped trying to use it like it was Bionic Commando and just pressed the grapple button constantly until I got where I needed to.

This is how you use it in Bionic Commando.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Philthy posted:

This is how you use it in Bionic Commando.

Someone doesn't sound very Rad. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Happy Hedonist posted:

Jesus gently caress your avatar is annoying.
get adblock and block that specific avatar if it bothers you so much instead of posting about it you weirdo

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I bought this and I have to agree - the boss music is really well done. Everything in the game just meshes together extraordinarily. I think that's one of the benefits of one-man games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is the first trip into Zi supposed to be one way? The jump to get back to Absu after getting the high jump was crazy precise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if it's the green area with the steam vents, yes. You get an item that allows you to get back over there later.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
My complaints are the syringes are hella useless especcialy considering how hard it is to get the second one, and also it sucks that like 3 bosses are pretty much just cutscenes.

I would comment on the plot if I had understood any of it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

if it's the green area with the steam vents, yes. You get an item that allows you to get back over there later.

Welp. All that backtracking for nothing. Everywhere in the first 2 areas that looks like I can do anything with the high jump runs right into a big wall of glitchy poo poo that the glitch gun doesn't work on :saddowns:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
You should be able to fast travel between eggs, really.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That was my next question and I really don't like that answer.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

dis astranagant posted:

Welp. All that backtracking for nothing.

I tried backtracking early in the game after getting new gameplay items and it became evident to me that this wasn't designed to be the way to play the game like in Metroid, and that you pretty much have to go forward until the game lets explore to basically get the few last %

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 19, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I remember the creator saying that if he didn't find a good narrative use for the bosses he would just remove the boss fights altogether. Looks like they all just say "DEMON, ---KILL" so so much for that I guess. It would have been nice to have some reason to care about the main character before he zaps himself into crazy alternate dimension for whatever reason, or to have any sort of backstory for he world he was living in before that too. The game is alright though.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

I remember the creator saying that if he didn't find a good narrative use for the bosses he would just remove the boss fights altogether. Looks like they all just say "DEMON, ---KILL" so so much for that I guess. It would have been nice to have some reason to care about the main character before he zaps himself into crazy alternate dimension for whatever reason too. The game is alright though.

hosed up if true. :psyduck:

• Locked thread