Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
OH GOODY IS IT THAT TIME AGAIN :shepspends:

I've been playing a lot of FFV Ancient Cave recently and I'm stoked that FJF is coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just saw this for the first time and HOLY poo poo :worship:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's funny, because Equip Harps is legitimately one of the best passives you can give a Berserker.

You know what else Equip Harps is useful on? Red Mage.

I had both a Red Mage and a Bard in my first fiesta, and since my other two jobs were Monk/Berserker, Equip Harps ended up boosting the Red Mage's magic a bit.

I was pretty much carried by the Bard in that run, of course.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

You know what else Equip Harps is useful on? Red Mage.

I had both a Red Mage and a Bard in my first fiesta, and since my other two jobs were Monk/Berserker, Equip Harps ended up boosting the Red Mage's magic a bit.

I was pretty much carried by the Bard in that run, of course.

Does Equip Axes synergize with Monk at all? Or was the Monk just basically the party's singer when everything was said and done?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Okay, got my twitter setup. I am officially PUMPED!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Does Equip Axes synergize with Monk at all? Or was the Monk just basically the party's singer when everything was said and done?

Equip axes synergizes by way of replacing your lovely mid-endgame punches with axes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KataraniSword posted:

i mean if you have a bard the monk becomes actually a really fantastic damage dealer

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

alcharagia posted:

i mean if you have a bard the monk becomes actually a really fantastic damage dealer

After half an hour of prep :v:

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

dis astranagant posted:

After half an hour of prep :v:

Just think of it like DBZ yelling.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Crosspost from the FF main thread since one of the things that usually comes up in the Fiesta thread is the plausibility of running Fiestas in other job system games:
Buffs non-Summon magic and bad jobs in FF3, including completely revamping Steal so that you can steal more useful items and eventually endgame equipment, and buffs enemy HP to compensate for the overall buff in player power. Could make FF3 a much more interesting game, and less frustrating for this sort of randomized play, though FF3's job system is still fundamentally different in that you unlock some of the jobs much later in the game and some jobs are intentional linear improvements on others.

Assuming the patch didn't bug the gently caress out of something major or anything, it's probably an improved experience and would provide a more optimal one for first-time FF3 players than the default or the DS/PC/mobile port.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think BD has huge potential, if you're willing to accept winning as shattering a crystal for bad end asap. Especially since NG+ let's you make a new game with jobs unlocked and nothing else, so you can start with whatever job combo :v:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

By the way, for any veterans playing the GBA version I am working on a patch to make the game more exciting! The fanart post has links to the most recent versions along with a changelog file with instructions on how to patch. (The dropbox links are the most recent version, I can't guarantee that Kyrosiris will keep the mirrors updated.) Here are some exciting reasons to try the patch out:

code:
* Gaia is no longer dependent on the user's level. Instead, it just picks one of the
  four available spells for the terrain equally at random, and in a nod to Final Fantasy III,
  there is a 2% chance that Shadowflare (the chemist mix) will be cast instead.
* Dragoons now innately have the Doublehanded skill and all the spears can be Doublehanded.
* Berserkers, due to the fact that they only attack, now have their other ability slots freed
  up like Mimes. You can equip up to 3 additional abilities on them!!!
* Red Mages can now learn two extra skills: Black4 and White4, giving them access to a few
  more useful tools. Their skill progression is now Red1 > Red2 > Red3 > Black4 > White4 > Dualcast.
  Black4 costs 150 AP, White4 costs 250 AP. As compensation, Dualcast costs only 400 AP.
* Fists can be Spellbladed. Yes, now you can have your monks literally punch with fists of fire!
* !Dance is affected differently by Dancer specific equipment:

o The Lamia's Tiara replaces Mystery Waltz with Sword Dance.
      o The Rainbow Dress replaces Jitterbug with Sword Dance.
      o The Red Slippers replaces Tempting Tango with Sword Dance.

That's right, Dancers can now guarantee Sword Dance by equipping a full wardrobe!
* Brave Blade's attack rating is updated from (150 - #escapes) to (#kills/4), capped at 200.
  Kills are only counted if you successfully win the fight.
* Whips now deal critical damage (2x base damage, enemy defense reduced to 0)
  when then enemy is asleep, paralyzed, slowed or stopped.
The patch is in progress so there will be more fun stuff added on in the future!

*Gets first set of jobs. Sees Bartz dressed as batman.*

I approve.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Can Of Worms posted:

By the way, for any veterans playing the GBA version I am working on a patch to make the game more exciting! The fanart post has links to the most recent versions along with a changelog file with instructions on how to patch. (The dropbox links are the most recent version, I can't guarantee that Kyrosiris will keep the mirrors updated.) Here are some exciting reasons to try the patch out:

code:
* Gaia is no longer dependent on the user's level. Instead, it just picks one of the
  four available spells for the terrain equally at random, and in a nod to Final Fantasy III,
  there is a 2% chance that Shadowflare (the chemist mix) will be cast instead.
* Dragoons now innately have the Doublehanded skill and all the spears can be Doublehanded.
* Berserkers, due to the fact that they only attack, now have their other ability slots freed
  up like Mimes. You can equip up to 3 additional abilities on them!!!
* Red Mages can now learn two extra skills: Black4 and White4, giving them access to a few
  more useful tools. Their skill progression is now Red1 > Red2 > Red3 > Black4 > White4 > Dualcast.
  Black4 costs 150 AP, White4 costs 250 AP. As compensation, Dualcast costs only 400 AP.
* Fists can be Spellbladed. Yes, now you can have your monks literally punch with fists of fire!
* !Dance is affected differently by Dancer specific equipment:

o The Lamia's Tiara replaces Mystery Waltz with Sword Dance.
      o The Rainbow Dress replaces Jitterbug with Sword Dance.
      o The Red Slippers replaces Tempting Tango with Sword Dance.

That's right, Dancers can now guarantee Sword Dance by equipping a full wardrobe!
* Brave Blade's attack rating is updated from (150 - #escapes) to (#kills/4), capped at 200.
  Kills are only counted if you successfully win the fight.
* Whips now deal critical damage (2x base damage, enemy defense reduced to 0)
  when then enemy is asleep, paralyzed, slowed or stopped.
The patch is in progress so there will be more fun stuff added on in the future!

Changelog posted:

Geomancer buffs.

:stare:

After being stuck with Geomancer in a fiesta I actually like them. (I started with White Mage, ok? They finally had something to do besides flail ineffectively with sticks when not healing.)

I think that's finally paid off.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

By the way, for those of you who want to do a pre-Fiesta warmup, Carbybot (our IRC bot in #ffvfiesta) makes team compositions.

Mine, uh... yeah.

quote:

[10:41:59] <CarbyBot> Wind Job: Blue Mage
[10:42:02] <CarbyBot> Water Job: Mystic Knight
[10:42:03] <CarbyBot> Fire Job: Bard
[10:42:05] <CarbyBot> Earth Job: Ranger

:shepface:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

quote:

CarbyBot Wind Job: Knight
CarbyBot Water Job: Thief
CarbyBot Fire Job: Summoner
CarbyBot Earth Job: Berserker

:hist101: :ese: :science: :black101:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got Knight, Time Mage, Bard, Samurai. Just hand it to me now, please.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can someone roll for me? I don't have IRC.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can someone roll for me? I don't have IRC.

Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist.

Enjoy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kyrosiris posted:

By the way, for those of you who want to do a pre-Fiesta warmup, Carbybot (our IRC bot in #ffvfiesta) makes team compositions.

I love the Chaos feature because my first roll for it...

quote:

Wind Job: Dragoon
Water Job: Samurai
Fire Job: Chemist
Earth Job: Red Mage

Earth Crystal/Earth Crystal/Earth Crystal/Water Crystal

Couldn't have given me Dancer instead of Red Mage? Really? :v:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Tried .chaos in preparation/desperate hoping for true random..

quote:

[09:57] <CarbyBot> Wind Job: Thief
No.

quote:

[09:57] <CarbyBot> Water Job: Geomancer
NO!

quote:

[09:58] <CarbyBot> Fire Job: Samurai
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

quote:

[09:58] <CarbyBot> Earth Job: Chemist
Oh. Well, okay then.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Asiina posted:

Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist.

Enjoy.

Hahaha, I guess I got Team: No Challenge.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chaotic Neutral posted:

No.
NO!
Oh. Well, okay then.

samurai is hilariously good and arguably the best heavy armor user in a game where heavy armor is powrful, hth

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I would really hate getting to the fire crystal with only thief. And to earth with only thief/geo. Ugh.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ugato posted:

I would really hate getting to the fire crystal with only thief. And to earth with only thief/geo. Ugh.

Well, your "don't have it yet" classes are effectively Freelancers.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Fungah! posted:

samurai is hilariously good and arguably the best heavy armor user in a game where heavy armor is powrful, hth

Yeah, Samurai is one of my favorite classes, but I love winning with defense/evasion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

No.
NO!
Oh. Well, okay then.

13:45 CarbyBot Wind Job: Dancer
13:45 CarbyBot Water Job: Red Mage
13:45 CarbyBot Fire Job: Red Mage
13:45 CarbyBot Earth Job: Beastmaster

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this in an actual run. Once I got to the water crystal is everyone forced to go red mage or would it be 1-4 red mages and 0-3 freelancers?

I wonder what a 2nd try would give me...

13:49 CarbyBot Wind Job: Dancer
13:49 CarbyBot Water Job: Chemist
13:49 CarbyBot Fire Job: Ranger
13:49 CarbyBot Earth Job: Ranger

Well that's not even a challenge. Once I actually get to the classes and stop using freelancers anyways. :stare:

e:

Ugato posted:

My first 4JF run 2 or 3 years ago was WM/WM/BM/Geomancer. I had to beat Liquid Flame using 4 White Mages. :shepicide:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 19, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, your "don't have it yet" classes are effectively Freelancers.

I don't get this. I'm talking about 4 thieves up until the fire crystal, then 2/2 or 3/1 thf/geo until the earth crystal. Is that not how this works?

I get that, say, if you had red Mage instead of thief you'd just be freelancers until the water crystal. Is it cribbing the natural slant of you only ever use one of each class without the "and they can only ever be that class" part? Meaning:
thf/free/free/free
then
thf/geo/free/free
then your final group

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I misread. If your Wind job is Thief, then yeah, you run four Thieves to Water. Then, if your Water job was, say, Chemist, you'd have any combination of Thieves and Freelancers (standing in as Chemists). If your Fire is also an Earth job (let's say Samurai), you'd have at minimum one Thief and two Freelancers until Earth.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I misread. If your Wind job is Thief, then yeah, you run four Thieves to Water. Then, if your Water job was, say, Chemist, you'd have any combination of Thieves and Freelancers (standing in as Chemists). If your Fire is also an Earth job (let's say Samurai), you'd have at minimum one Thief and two Freelancers until Earth.

Ok, gotcha. That's weird, but I like it.

E: I just never assumed that the order the classes were given would be relevant.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 19, 2015

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd say you should still stick with only what you can play.

Freelancers are cheating!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Asiina posted:

Freelancers are cheating!

It's what's recommended as a replacement for your Red Mages at Wind in Classic runs (and before you get the other characters' crystals in Natural), so. v:shobon:v

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Eh. Samurai's far from being hilariously good - it won't make a bad party better and it won't make a good party worse. Its toolkit is anemic - Shirahadori is mediocre since an ability slot is usually more valuable than a 25% evasion check, Zeninage is highly situational due to its formula and any party that has to rely on it is in abysmal shape already, and Iainuki is a decent instant kill effect for a skill 800+ AP deep into a subpar physical attacker. Crits are nice, but so unreliable as to barely count as a perk.

Heavy Armor is nice. Offensive power is better. It's no Geomancer or Dragoon, but it's still a third-rate class.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What benefit to Freelancers have early in the game, just being able to equip anything?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sakurazuka posted:

What benefit to Freelancers have early in the game, just being able to equip anything?

Pretty much, yeah. That means stuff like being able to use the katana from Castle Tycoon without a Samurai, or the RIbbon from Karnak without a Dancer. Hell, even just straight up breaking rods if you're desperate.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sakurazuka posted:

They're not a monk

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Eh. Samurai's far from being hilariously good - it won't make a bad party better and it won't make a good party worse. Its toolkit is anemic - Shirahadori is mediocre since an ability slot is usually more valuable than a 25% evasion check, Zeninage is highly situational due to its formula and any party that has to rely on it is in abysmal shape already, and Iainuki is a decent instant kill effect for a skill 800+ AP deep into a subpar physical attacker. Crits are nice, but so unreliable as to barely count as a perk.

Heavy Armor is nice. Offensive power is better. It's no Geomancer or Dragoon, but it's still a third-rate class.
Samurais have innate Shirahadori. Give your Samurai an Elven Mantle, a Shield and a Main Gauche and they're kind of insane on the dodging front. They're also the only job that can equip Katanas, and at least two of them are good; Wind Slash can proc... Wind Slash :v: and Masamune is kind of insane (guaranteed first action in battle and unlimited casts of Haste.) Like every other heavy armour job they also have a high vitality score, which means more HP. People underestimate how valuable HP is considering NED has a "You must have this much HP to win" move. Samurais aren't Bards or Chemists but they're only one tier down from the jobs that steamroll the game.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Samurais have innate Shirahadori. Give your Samurai an Elven Mantle, a Shield and a Main Gauche and they're kind of insane on the dodging front. They're also the only job that can equip Katanas, and at least two of them are good; Wind Slash can proc... Wind Slash :v: and Masamune is kind of insane (guaranteed first action in battle and unlimited casts of Haste.) Like every other heavy armour job they also have a high vitality score, which means more HP. People underestimate how valuable HP is considering NED has a "You must have this much HP to win" move. Samurais aren't Bards or Chemists but they're only one tier down from the jobs that steamroll the game.
Wind Slash is about as reliable as crits, which is to say it's nice when it works but won't be there when you need it the majority of the time. Masamune is great, and one of the best sealed weapons, but that's really the only attractive and semi-unique feature Samurai gets. I tend to value offense a lot more highly when it comes to party composition, since defensive parties that aren't backed by Chemists or White Mages are really just flirting with the RNG on difficult fights and hoping things line up in their favor. More HP is good, but the threshold for NED is pretty low if you can get your hands on any source of Shell - and if your party has no source of Shell and you're relying on a Samurai for offense, you're going to be grinding for Zeninage anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Can Of Worms posted:

People underestimate how valuable HP is considering NED has a "You must have this much HP to win" move.

Before Neo-Exdeath it's pretty easy to run through this game at relatively low levels if you're know what you're doing. But once you get to Almagest you either have to have the damage output to take out the Almagest part or you need over 1800 HP to survive it. With shell the threshold becomes a much more reasonable 800.

Almagest is a holy-elemental move, but FF5 has no holy resistance except for the post-game bonus dungeon in later releases.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Chaotic Neutral posted:

but the threshold for NED is pretty low if you can get your hands on any source of Shell
Yes, because your team either has a White Mage, Blue Mage or Chemist. All 3 of which help you steamroll the game. (Okay, most of the game for White Mage.)

Edit: Technically Beastmasters and rod users have access to Shell, but Beastmasters have the task of capturing a Crystelle and every rod using job (minus Red Mage, rip Red Mage) is good.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Yes, because your team either has a White Mage, Blue Mage or Chemist. All 3 of which help you steamroll the game. (Okay, most of the game for White Mage.)

Edit: Technically Beastmasters and rod users have access to Shell, but Beastmasters have the task of capturing a Crystelle and every rod using job (minus Red Mage, rip Red Mage) is good.
When we're down to quibbling over whether Samurai is good because it can survive Neo Exdeath at a slightly lower level than other jobs (that aren't Knight/Monk/Berserker or with access to Shell.. that's not a long list).. I think we're past the point of being able to consider it a 'just below gamebreaking' class.

• Locked thread