Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, the Rune Axe is loving beastly with a good magic passive behind it - if it wasn't only 81 Attack (versus 127 of the Chicken Knife), it might actually be the second best weapon in the game, since it works similar to the CK (specifically, it adds an extra M multiplier based off of your Magic stat).

The defense lowering properties of axes have it better than the chicken knife vs Mellusion, Necrophobe, Shinryuu and probably various gba dungeon poo poo you have no business using a berserker against.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Does Equip Axes synergize with Monk at all? Or was the Monk just basically the party's singer when everything was said and done?

Equip axes synergizes by way of replacing your lovely mid-endgame punches with axes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

alcharagia posted:

i mean if you have a bard the monk becomes actually a really fantastic damage dealer

After half an hour of prep :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ayana posted:

Why is he punching him to death? Wouldn't even smacking him around with a rod do more damage?

He's deliberately dragging this out. ~17 comets would have ended it ages ago.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In a normal game you never run out of mp because !lancet exists. And it that isn't enough there's about a billion !mix results that give full mp recovery.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Decided to try a chaos run given out by carbybot. I have named it "Team No Damage.". Thief, white mage, white mage, monk. This is painful as hell.

Give the thief brawl and steal a twin lance in the bal castle basement (about the point when brawl stops being useful on its own, really) to get some pretty decent damage, endgame worthy if you berserk him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If we're talking about like actual Cleft of Dimensions endgame that party should just have four people spamming Holy

There's another piece of advice for newcomers in World 3 with access to White Magic: Holy is loving amazing in this game. At 20 MP it costs less than Flare or even the elemental -aga spells while dealing about 50% more damage than the latter and, unlike Flare, having elemental boosting equipment; it's another reason White Mage is one of the best jobs aside from all that healing stuff

Chicken knife thief tops unboosted holy by a hair, though it is more sensitive to enemy defense scores.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thief chicken knife M ends up pretty much exactly double white mage magic M at level 30 so you're looking at 127 * 20 vs 241 * 10. Around level 35-40 thief M pulls ahead and stays there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

In retrospect I think it was the first Random I ever did and not Classic; iirc my actual Classic run was Kn/Kn/WM/WM and was both incredibly painless and incredibly dull.

I just started a pre-Fiesta run of GBA by the way since I've never played GBA before; is all of the added content like new jobs World 3/postgame stuff? And if I decide to run it instead of SFAM this year, is there a comprehensive list of version differences I can look at?

Everything new is postgame or drat near it. The first 3 new classes unlock after unsealing all twelve weapons and the bonus dungeon doesn't unlock til after NED.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Trasson posted:

Against Omega (I'm assuming you reflect it back on to him, of course. I'm also assuming his starting Shell is Dispelled), Holy does (241~271 - 150) * 13 = 1183~1573. Flare would do (251~258 - 4) * 13 for 3211~3302. So Flare wins there. Except I said boosted Holy. That's actually an Attack of 361~406, which makes for a damage of 4693~5278. Yes, you have that right. Boosting is +50% to Attack. At normal numbers, this is basically indistinguishable from +50% damage, but here we see the truth.

Except you forgot to subtract Omega's magic defense from your boosted holy, which drops it to 2743-3328. You also wouldn't use holy vs either bonus boss because they absorb it. You'd also crack out flare several times in the Sealed Temple if you're into that kind of thing.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 21, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anything with over 23 magic defense takes more damage from flare than boosted -agas, though that's just Treedeath and Shinryuu by that point. And basically the entire Sealed Temple.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The other problem with Dragoon is that they don't benefit from having most other fighty abilities passed to them. Really the only things that help are dualwield and rapid fire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thief has built in chicken knife abuse and is thus better than a monk can ever dream of being by default. The only way a monk is topping that is with chemist or bard assistance (and those guys are good enough on their own that they don't even really need to help the monk out). There's also a LOT of good steals in world 2 that can give you an extra leg up, plus hi potions in world 1.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Negating the flee chance with mug is a far bigger bonus to the chicken knife than turning upper 30s-lower 40s str into 50 something str. Even without unique steals there are lots of very good ones at times where some classes would be lagging (double lance, javelin, hi potions in the fire ship, 99 fire rings in barrier tower, early ninja clothes/green beret/mage masher/gaia gear/10s of elixirs in the karnak 500 and library, early mythril weapons at walz, killer bows/lamia's tiaras in Ronka, this is too long so I'll stop now)

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 22, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also, Byblos is one of the worst fights for monks between his evasion and discord more than quartering your damage instantly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

That said, for as much as I've harped on the side of Thief, if I had to get one of the two classes for my Wind Crystal pull? I'd rather actually loving do enough damage to see the Water Crystal. A full-thief party is just painful, whereas Monks give no fucks until world 2 starts and suddenly enemy defense is outstripping their natural damage formula.

It's ironic: A thief's utility starts kicking in almost at the exact point Monk starts lagging behind, Walse Basement excepted.

Thief has it pretty easy pre-byblos other than maybe Karl Boss. At level 10 you can keep Magissa from bringing out her husband, you can steal mythril knives for garula (back row is your friend here), and spam hi potions for liquiflame. And even byblos probably won't be that bad because hi-potions and mage mashers.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FFT doesn't have the kind of progression you'd want for a fiesta, plus several classes don't even have weapons til late chapter 2 or early chapter 3. You'd also have to cheat in access to classes or commit to possibly a lot of grinding before you even start.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

!red passes what little magic a red mage gets, giving the berserker rune axe/earth hammer access. !animals with geomancer magic power would be pretty drat nice healing for a long time. Once that tapers off you have rapid fire chicken knife on the geomancer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just list relevant stuff like bearaga, breath wing/blaze/lightning, and instant death moves.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

So I notice you list Big Bridge Gilgamesh as vulnerable to Silence. I think that is only true in the original release? Maybe the PSX version? At any rate, I know his vulnerability to silence shows up in some versions but not others.

Edit: Ok, it looks like you can still cast "Mute" in that battle to affect everyone. He was vulnerable to silence in the Famicom version (and presumably a ROM, but not sure on the PSX version). I don't think he's vulnerable to silence in the Advance version, or probably in the iOS version.

In later versions he's only vulnerable to time magic mute and not silence status.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Colgate posted:

I'm doing a practice run and I got Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Dancer. I gotta say, while each class is very good individually, the team doesn't have much synergy. It won't get in the way of completing the game, but it's sort of disappointing when my best secondary options for pretty much everyone are !Blue and Equip Ribbon. !Rapidfire is probably good on my ranger only. Most of the team is pretty fast though, which is nice.

Chicken Knife for !Dance or for !Rapidfire?

Give rapid fire and the chicken knife to your mystic knight and watch everything die.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

StarMinstrel posted:

That's what I thought ^-^ There's no point really to pay for charity and then cheat your way through a challenge your making for yourself, otherwise what's the point. I was just curious because of all the patch talk and such.

/edit
In normal mode, is it possible to get the same job twice or thrice?

The only way to get duplicates is to roll chaos mode or roll random with berserker risk,

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Garula's easy for a white mage party, just tedious. Make sure you pick up the heal staff, stick everyone in the back row, and cast protect.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Color Printer posted:

I thought about doing my first run in the Fiesta, but after playing a bit I decided I was really enjoying it (I also just finished FFX, my first FF game which was....okaaaay) so I might as well try to finish it in two and a half weeks.

I'm probably going to run screaming into this thread or the FF Megathread several times in the next few days though

Come to IRC and you can do a fiesta early and have a dozen spergs available for advice at any given time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think preregs have had to #wind in the past.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Poque posted:

What necessitates Reflect Ring farming? I've never felt the need. Is it just for Omniscient?

Helps with Twintania, Melusine, and a few others. I usually do it whether I know I need it or not because they're much more annoying to get later.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fungah! posted:

it's a convenience thing more than anything else, easier to just farm them up than it is to buy them later. plus hey, grinding with a goal

You can't buy them. The only other source is rare steals in the Phoenix Tower.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lilli posted:

I thought reflect knights in the atmos tower had them as a rare drop.

That's what they're talking about. You have to wait til Phoenix Tower if you don't get them there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

Aren't -aga level spells literally 4x as good as -ara spells? I wish Red Mages had staying power in any game ever, they're so cool :(

About 3.5x but yeah. Even Bio is more than double (and ignores magic defense, and applies a DoT that works on literally everything).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The difference between a monk's vitality and the lowest, dancer's 14, is only about a 75% boost in HP. The gap between leather and plate defenses closes up a bit later on, especially since no one actually stacks defense (hermes sandals too stronk) and enemy attack power gets much higher in relation to armor defense than early on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Color Printer posted:

Wow, I'm barely starting to learn the intricacies of this game's mechanics to prepare for the fiesta (thanks to everyone in the IRC!) and even I'm baffled by that plan. :psyduck: Why does Bartz need to be in critical condition? Why wear reflect rings???

Mystic Knights get auto shell when critical. Not sure why reflect rings when he's planning on absorbing fire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To be fair, the instant death attacks in question have something like a 30% chance to hit a single target and he can only bring 4 of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It took me hours to make this picture, which has a higher chance of success and I still gave up before I got the full thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'll take 20% more turns over 30% more hp or 10% more str any day. Especially since 20% more turns gets me someone who can be more than just an elixir bot in the endgame.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chicken mugging for ~2500 damage and !flee during the many, many random battles that aren't worth fighting but have stupid low normal run chances.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Immunity to back attacks is pretty great when 3/4 of your team can't change rows, especially in places like the meat castle and most of the void have super low run chances.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fartz the chicken thief gets 4 turns to every 3 that Fartz the monk does. 35 ticks vs 46, assuming black garb, black cowl and hermes sandals on both. There will be spare turns here and there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gatesealer posted:

What is the lowest level you can reasonable be at to get the wind jobs?

Whatever level you are after the forced goblin fights at the start. Wing Raptor is a joke and all randoms to that point are easy to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I thought the low level route requires level 5 death.

• Locked thread