Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Hypha posted:

Am I too late to add more zerks?

No, you're too early. Come back in 11 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Full Fiesta Now*!

*soon

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

I'm finally going to finish this year! In it to win it! Can't wait!

So I'm not as intimately familiar with FF5's mechanics as most. I know enough to get by, but for a normal run, which job from each crystal would be considered the "worst" to get? Excluding berserker because obviously berserker is the best. All hail the berserker.

Monk is most likely worst for wind crystal. While they start off strong, that will start to dip off in world two and get pretty bad in world three.

Red Mage is pretty bad with no support to make DualCast great. They get to crack rods and play some support so not as bad as monks.

Geomancer is probably worst of the fire crystal jobs. They just don't deal a lot of damage. Unless you're in a bog, then they're great.

Dragoon I'd say of the earth jobs. Though, none of the earth jobs are that bad, some are just better than others.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Doing Berserker risk #chaos mode, assuming thats allowed, all day everyday. If you wanna chop down a tree, you're gonna need an axe.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Here is the page for the job fair. All the regular classes are $5 or less, except Freelancer at $25 and mime at $15. Chemist is $5.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/604041081232076800

Gilgabot posted:

I WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO WAKE UP UNTIL TOMORROW.

CONSIDER THIS "EARLY ACCESS".

It is the hip new trend.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Today's PSA from the Hip-Hop Gilgabot:

Gilgabot posted:

PLEASE:
FILL OUT YOUR ACCOUNT.
FOLLOW ME AND SOME OTHER PEOPLE.
DON'T BE AN EGG.
IT HELPS PREVENT TWITTER FROM HAVING TWEETS IGNORED.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

OzFactor posted:

Wait what are the rules when I only have three people and four jobs?

Use whichever three jobs you want. Whatever the missing character's job was doesn't matter.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Augus posted:

The Earth Crystal isn't that far in the game anyway. And having the characters do jobs other than the ones they're assigned doesn't seem right to me. :colbert:
Also Gilgabot already registered me anyway.

Seriously don't do natural. You can change your mistake now. Please do.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

You're doing God's work, son.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

What do you mean by bugged? The Mute spell is the one that prevents ALL spellcasting, including yours, while Silence is the targetted one. If that's not what you mean then I have no clue.

I believe in the SNES version, mute is bugged to ONLY silence your party and not the enemy. I tested it and it does work correctly in the GBA version.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Dareon posted:

Dug all through my basket of PS1/PS2 games to try and find my copy of Anthology. It was right on loving top, hidden by the blanket that got tossed over it. :doh:

Now I need to see which memory card has my old saves on it, or failing that, which has free space.

Have fun killing Karl Boss and Y-Burns.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Can we just change the thread title to FFV Four Job Fiesta 2015: Never Pick Classic/Natural! Just Don't.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Poque posted:

Is there a reason to fight Gilgamesh in Exdeath's castle for this run? It's not like you want to be fighting him in the void.

Donation incentive. They also have to get all the legendary weapons even though they don't need them.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

More Fartz doe the Fartz pile:

Also these chumps died.

While this run was interesting in the beginning with using freelancer and then 4 BERSERKERS from after Garula till Cresent Island, the rest of the run was basically like my risk run last year, Monk Zerk Bard Zerk.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.twitch.tv/everhate The legend himself is up against Neo ExDeath once more. Will a team of level 85-86 berserkers chop down this tree?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

gatesealer posted:

so I am very confused. I have Lenna as a ninja, and therefore with first strike, and yet Krile, as a mystic knight without first strike, is going before her. Is there something I'm missing here?

First Strike means you're more likely to get pre-emptive attacks, not that you act first in a fight. Also, it's something ninjas get innate for free. Yeah, it's not a very clear name.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Looking at the Algorithms FAQ, the amount regen heals you is (Vitality*Level)/16 so not that good. It gets decent when you buff your level up a ton and your speed, which I think makes the regen happen more often I'm not sure the FAQ doesn't mention anything about how often it heals. Though, if you're that buffed off songs, you don't really need the regen.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Second run done. Chaos run, almost 750.

White Mage and Black Mage of course made it really easy. !Gaia gave a decent free attack for the white mage and Beastmaster did some nifty things.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Alright, got my fire crystal unlocked, and let's see... It's a bard!

So now I've got black mage, summoner and bard. I like this, though my group is particularly squishy.

I've never used a bard to any capacity, anything I should make sure to grab?

Make sure you grab the songs in Lix, Fartz's home town, and Istory, the town in the top right corner of the map, in world one. Those will give you Romeo's Ballad and Alluring Air, which cast Stop and Confuse on all enemies for free. either of those songs mean random battles are you're to control as you see fit. Since you got some mages, make sure you get the magic raising song on the roof of the library in world three. Thats an easy one to miss.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

David Corbett posted:

Chemist. I guess I could toss in a few bucks to replace my Geomancer with literally any other class.

Pick mime. It's for charity.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

So, I started this recently and it's my first time playing FFV - I just finished the fire crystal with my punchy/healy White Mage/Monk combo and I got Ranger! But....I don't see any Ranger job and I didnt get it after the castle blew? Am I missing something?

yeah, you'll get it later.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Leofish posted:

I've hit a wall against Twintania. Black/Zerk/Geo/Samurai... this is the first time I've encountered a boss that I can't race to death. Even Catastrophe sans-Float went down after two attempts. Everyone is level 40.

I've read that Twintania is vulnerable to instant death... will the Death spell eventually connect, or do I have to do try it through Death Sickles?

Another way to do it besides coral rings is don't attack him and wait for him to charge, chugging hi potions as needed, though you'd have to kill your berserker so he doesn't trigger any counters. Once he starts charging, start casting death at him, it should have an 80% chance to hit.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

My party is

Blue Mage
Berserker
Monk
Ninja

Unsure which skills to put on things, but my guess is

Blue Mage - Barehanded
Berserker - Dual Wield
Monk - Blue
Ninja - Blue

Does that seem right?

Most of those seem fine except for barehanded on Blue Mage. That would help with goblin punch and thats about it. Throw so you can use rod boosted fire/thunder scrolls or HP +30% for survivability would be better.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Can I only buy scrolls in the 1st and 3rd worlds?

I know the werewolf village has scrolls and shurikans, not sure about any other place in world 2.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Between Golem and Ramuh/Titan/Syldra you won't need much. Once you get to world 2, Hi-Potions will carry the healing load.

As a bonus, give your Ninja !Summon (as high a level as you have it) and give your Summoner !Throw. The damage of thrown ninja scrolls is based on magic (computed just like a magic spell, actually) and they do huge damage for cheap if you have a good magic score.

It's extra good for the summoner, because they can equip a flame/thunder rod to boost the damage even more.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Need some more blue magic advice. I want to get Mighty Guard but ofc I don't have a beastmaster or any real casters. Is my best bet to go in equipped with coral rings and just hit the stingray with the dancing dagger, like I did against Hellraiser for White Wind?

You don't need coral rings for stingray, he'll only use tidal wave when he's confused and thus will only hit himself.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Bufuman posted:

It's doable, but it might be tricky. I got two ideas:
1. Hermes Sandals and !Hide on everyone. Use that ability to avoid the opening Tidal Wave, then come back and hit him with a knight sword (remember that he absorbs holy, so Excalibur is out!), Flare Sword, Apollo's Harp (remember, 8x damage to dragons on that sucker!), and Chicken Knife !Dance. The added speed will hopefully keep you alive long enough to bring him down. It may simply be a matter of retrying until the RNG goes your way. Aegis Shields are a real help too; you can negate entire actions (particularly Roulette).
2. The classic and oft-relied upon Zombie Reflect strategy. Have one person !Hide against a Necromancer and let it zombify the other three. Then slap Reflect Rings on them, open Shin's treasure chest, let the living person !Hide again, and wait for Shin to kill itself off of reflected attacks like Atomic Ray. It'll take a while, but it's entirely risk-free.

On the zombie plan, do note to put the reflect rings on first because you cant change zombie's clothes.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

I actually don't believe Masamune on zerker gives them first action. It didn't on GBA anyway. However berserk works messes with the swords ability. In the end, I think I just gave him the Murasame, the one with 25% crit chance.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Zone of Danger posted:

With WHM/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon, do I have any decent approach for Omniscient other that reflect rings and waiting 8 hours?

Berkserk him, making sure you have blink up before hand, and then hit him with moves.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Zone of Danger posted:

Still casts return when I attack him after I berserk him.

Ah, you must be using the mobile version. Well, try just casting silence on him and then punch him. Perhaps also berserking him just to turn off his other spells, cause blink basically turns off his attacks.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Maigius posted:

Any ideas on avoiding Almagest? My team is White Mage, Time Mage, Bard, and Dancer with a max level of 38 and all 4 jobs mastered. I can get through regular Exdeath no problem with reflect rings, but I can't survive Almagest.

Well, since you have bard, you could always just sing your stats to the moon during the first phase of Exdeath and kill Neo Exdeath before he takes a single action. Seriously, between the time mage's Quick and Bard giving you max stats/levels, Neo shouldn't be able to do a drat thing.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah it was a good Fiesta this year. Did 13 runs, 10 chaos (one being berserker risk) and 3 random. 11 Triple Crowns, though one, (White/Black/Beast/Geo) should have been. Not sure why I didn't that run. The other run (Red/Ninja/Ranger/Dragoon) I couldn't figure out how to kill Omega, but did get Shinryu. Most appearances from a single class: Beastmaster at 8. With Bard in second at 5, that's probably why I got so many triple crown runs. Still have yet to get assigned Mystic Knight, as far as I can remember.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 31, 2015

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

(there is really no good reason why Mighty Guard should cost 72 MP)

To get Mighty Guards effect, it costs 42 MP and 9 actions (Cast Protect 4 times, Shell 4 times, all cast float). Spending 30 MP for 8 additional moves sounds good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Poque posted:

World 2 Reflect grinding :smith:

Actually I could just cast reflect on myself at that point

Also, you have thief. You can just steal one from Reflect Mages in Ex-Death's castle.

• Locked thread