Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hello, everyone. My name is Alcharagia, and I have an ultimatum. On this runthrough, I will not fall into the Speed Trap once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

Probably June 1, like pre-registration.

Also since I did not last year (the 11414.14 total amused me too much), I'm chipping in the $18.40 that we collectively raised by falling in Dr. Clapperclaw's Deadly Speed Trap once donations for 2015 are open, so we've got almost two berserkers on the tree right off the hop.

drat straight you are.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I would much rather have a Berserker than a Chemist.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Evil Fluffy posted:

This just means you're going to fall in to it multiple times :smuggo:

You'll see! You'll all see!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

YggiDee posted:

What, dare I ask, is the 'speed trap'?

Dr. Clapperclaw's Deadly Speed Trap is an open pit in the Ronka Ruins that most players will fall in once and go "Whoops" and then get past it. Donations are often placed regarding people falling into it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, and I fell in it a total of 106 times over my 9 playthroughs last year.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
if you get a magic stat-giving ability to give to a berserker they will be come a poo poo-stomping all-destroying terror with the rune axe

berserkers loving own and are a great class

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KataraniSword posted:

Does Equip Axes synergize with Monk at all? Or was the Monk just basically the party's singer when everything was said and done?

i mean if you have a bard the monk becomes actually a really fantastic damage dealer

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Flare's good if you have a bad class like say Monk that can't equip Rods and you want to have them be doing something

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ComposerGuy posted:

I'm finally going to finish this year! In it to win it! Can't wait!

So I'm not as intimately familiar with FF5's mechanics as most. I know enough to get by, but for a normal run, which job from each crystal would be considered the "worst" to get? Excluding berserker because obviously berserker is the best. All hail the berserker.

WORST JORBS:

Wind: Monk. Knight's burly, the Mages have great utility, and Thief can steal c'mon dude that's mega.

Water: Red Mage, under the condition that you don't get a White or Black Mage, because then Doublecast has much strongth. ...Actually, Red Mage anyway, all the other classes are good

Fire: Geomancer no question moving on

Earth: Either Dragoon or Dancer. Dancer's much faster, is ULTRA GROOVIN, and can equip Ribbons, but are frail. Dragoon is slow and vaguely tanky, but Jump, while awful for tanking, is decently powerful, and they're sturdier than Dancer by a long shot. Either one of them is significantly better than Geomancer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
death sickles alone make berserker a good class

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i look forward to chaos mode's inevitable dragoon/monk/geomancer/thief team

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Trasson posted:

How? Is it really that hard to run around with Potions and Tents? I mean, I'm honestly lost here, what random encounter is so threatening that avoiding the one in 16 chance of getting back attacked by it is worth putting up with a lackluster class?

i think getting back attacked is annoying because it means it will take longer for me to run from a given encounter. thief both inherently solves this problem and has flee. also you run faster. ergo, thief is a convenience class. using potions after every random battle is also annoying and gets old.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
neither class is actually dead weight though. monk tears through a lot of world 1 and can be absolutely monstrous with a bard or !drink. thieves, like earlier mentioned, get muggin', as well as stuff like early lamia's tiaras if you get a dancer and hi-potions, plus i'm pretty sure artful dodger, like, fixes that bug with the berserker's atb where they take forever to get a turn. on the whole i'd prefer other classes but both classes are aight

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ultrafilter posted:

Is it possible to make Berserk a command rather than a passive? Cause that would make the Berserker a lot more interesting.

Ew, no, that's lame

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ZiegeDame posted:

I've done Berserker Risk for the past three years. Honestly I kinda just want to try one of the other water crystal jobs for a change. I think I'd like berserker risk better if it wasn't guaranteed to overwrite your water job, and could overwrite fire or earth jobs as well.

try doing more than one run

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

LaserShark posted:

So, are the patches going to be considered valid runs? Even the one with all the berserker and geomancer buffs and everything?

Revenant Kioku has nooooo ideaaaa :getin:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

I keep thinking up things that amuse me more! At this point, Natural is the Fiesta equivalent of the speed trap. :v:

I'll have you know the speed trap is the Fiesta equivalent of the speed trap. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine)

ok

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

So RK confirmed a bit more of Chaos on the subreddit today, and yea, Chaotic Neutral/dis_astringent were right; you only use Freelancers as long as you have access to none of your assigned jobs.

Yes, this means if you get a Fire/Earth job at Wind and Berserker at water, it's Zerkers Until Karnak. :unsmigghh:

(apparently the random assignment of jobs will be engineered to minimize needed freelancer time, as well)

i'm just gonna cheat because freelancers are boring as butz

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Augus posted:

I've never Fiesta'd before. I've never even played FFV beyond the first overworld before. I'm not even that good at RPGs. This is probably a terrible idea.

...So how does a Classic play through sound? Or should I do a normal fiesta since it's my first time? I'm bad at making decisions about things.

Classic is garbage, play normal

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Augus posted:

First response I got, so it must be a good one!

:getin:

(I decided to do natural for OCD reasons)

no

no

no

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Never Play Natural

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
just don't do it

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
just edit out that #natural. do it now. please. i don't want to see you hurt my friend

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Augus posted:

The Earth Crystal isn't that far in the game anyway. And having the characters do jobs other than the ones they're assigned doesn't seem right to me. :colbert:
Also Gilgabot already registered me anyway.

you can edit it out, and your seeming is factually wrong and makes the game far less fun to play. please don't be a dumpass

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

Alcharagia, consider the debt settled:

(this also counts as my "leave a berserker" element of the "take a berserker, leave a berserker" compact)

My work here is done...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
my nemesis

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

S-sugoi ne...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

dis astranagant posted:

After sitting around for 25 turns.

Doesn't make the statement not true.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
CarbyBot alcharagia: Dr. Clapperclaw's Deadly Speed Trap has snared 19 victims! (0 of them are alcharagia...)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

"what are you doing up at 4 in the morning, dear" "fiestaing" "why are you fiestaing at 4 in the morning?" "Because I've lost control of my life"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

:sigh: Well, looks like it's time to head into the Sealed Temple again...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Edward_Tohr posted:

I seem to recall last year there was a big to-do about trying to capture a Skull Eater, which involved a similar process.

Actually, (I was the lucky one to discover that) the "method" to capture a Skull Eater was only possible in theory, because enemies are not able to receive the effects of a Goliath Tonic and Skull Eaters only have 1 HP. So you can't do it. Unfortunately.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have not been able to run at all the entire game, and I've tried in dozens of different encounters.

you know you have to hold it, right

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

like do i seriously need to keep playing at this point

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

just loving leave nedward. nobody loves you

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KataraniSword posted:

It depends entirely on if the bossfight Liquid Flame counts for unlocking Meltdown or if it needs to be the Phoenix Tower version.

It doesn't.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think thats the first time I've ever seen someone say that. I hope RK puts in the info graphic if you're the only one.

I did it in 2013. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

People who hit the speed trap in IRC: 130 (none of them were Alcharagia, well played)

Hu hu hu.

• Locked thread