Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
YESSSSSSSSS

e:

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This year my goal is to not get bored by my second run.

Also, I've started working on my boss guide again. Hope to get it finished before the fiesta starts. Let me know if there's anything you'd add/change.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

It's funny, because Equip Harps is legitimately one of the best passives you can give a Berserker.

You know what else Equip Harps is useful on? Red Mage.

I had both a Red Mage and a Bard in my first fiesta, and since my other two jobs were Monk/Berserker, Equip Harps ended up boosting the Red Mage's magic a bit.

I was pretty much carried by the Bard in that run, of course.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Only in FF5 can a job that's tankish, can deliver solid multi-target damage, and has a decent "instantly kill most enemies" move be considered mediocre.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm bored so here's an avatar. Take your pick of fast or slow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've been trying a bit of Team Earth Crystal with Dancer/Dragoon/Samurai/Chemist, and I'm curious... Is there any real synergy with this team? I can use Chemist to boost Zenigage's damage and Equip Ribbon on Dragoon to exploit the Man Eater being a spear, but otherwise it seems a team of individuals who don't really have much use for each others' abilities (besides !Mix but that's a given).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

All I know is Chemists and Bards are awesome enough to let me kill Neo-Exdeath without it getting a turn off so they're both cool jobs in my book.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The best way to deal with random encounters is Quick + Venom Rod and play another game of FF5 while that random encounter finishes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Trasson posted:

Flare has about as much point in Final Fantasy V as the Speed and Mute spells.

What about Flare vs. boosted -aga? I know the described situation was in general but I'm curious in terms of Fiesta if there's ever a time to bother with Flare.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've done Monk/Berserker on Byblos. It isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy.

Having done two fiestas with them, Monks loving blow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A_Raving_Loon posted:

A sort of double-natural run where each character get two jobs from their crystal, and is required to hybridize them.

Thief/Monk, Berserker/Red Mage, Geomancer/Ranger, and Dragoon/Dancer.

GeoRanger would such because you'd have either a Ranger stuck with Gaia or you'd RapidFire bells. Berserker gains nothing from Red Mage besides using Cure out of battle, and Red Mage wouldn't even be able to use Dualcast. The other ones synergize well, but then again the alternatives for each crystal are so strong that you're kinda stuck with those if you want something "bad".

GeoRanger would be so depressing to get though. Even Bard would love Rapidfiring the Apollo Harp.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

LaserShark posted:

I tried this the last two years, and always stop playing at the same point: in world 3, after getting the first three weapons. I keep getting confused as to what I should do next. Depending on my party, three weapons may be all I need; should I go try to pick up the rest anyway? Is there a certain order I have to visit the dungeons? Or should I just storm the void?

Anyone have any suggestions? I want to break this quitting streak.

People have mentioned the reasons to do the other stuff, but I don't think anyone's mentioned what you can do without doing the next dungeons.

Some easy stuff includes taking Boco to a waterfall and getting the Magic Lamp, which casts every summon in the game starting with Bahamut and going down the list. A key strat is using Odin from it to take out one of the Neo parts, though the AoE damage of Bahamut and Leviathan are also nice.

If you have a Summoner, you can go back to the pirate cave and pick up Syldra. Syldra ends up being the best summon when boosted with a Magus Rod.

The big one is visiting Mirage. There you can get two of the L6 spells for each school (including Quick, the true ultimate Time Mage spell, and Osmose and Arise aren't half-bad either), the Thief Knife, a Mirage Vest, and some nice weapon and armor upgrades, plus a place to stock up on the special rings from World 1 (and Running Shoes).

You can also get the Black Chocobo in Mirage and from there use it to go to a mountain where you get Bahamut (useful against enemies that absorb wind) and Phoenix Tower (Phoenix isn't as useful but I'm pretty sure there's good loot here, especially from enemies that are drops/steals).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Or you're like me and want to do everything even if you don't need to.

Except I skip Fork Tower if my only option is running Omni out of MP because screw that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Does anyone remember any of the dumb-dumb things that dumb-dumb speedrunner said last year while running his Fiesta? I vaguely remember him saying letting the Aegis Shield burn was a good idea? :confused:

Typing .dd in the IRC channel will give you a few choice summaries.

I think the link for the stream is under .badfiesta but I can't check for sure right now. I'm sure Kyrosiris will be happy to summarize how badly he did, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gonna stream a bit of my test Samurai/Ranger/Red Mage/Dragoon run. Gonna start at the point where I can actually use jobs.

http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jibo posted:

Somehow I managed to forget all about this horrible abortion of a run.

Is there any way to find goons streaming this or is it just going to be posted in here periodically as people do it? I wouldn't mind watching some goon runs.

Your best bet is either here, the IRC channel, or the Stream thread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

While I'm slowly finishing up my boss guide, I started up another guide that goes into every method to inflict status effects. This should be especially helpful for Beastmasters since it gives all enemies and general locations of those enemies for every spell.

So far I've only got Blind up but I'll slowly work on more the next couple weeks. Hopefully I'll be done with it before the Fiesta begins proper.

As a side-result of this, I started an exhaustive Blue Magic guide mainly to keep separate all the various places you can get Blue Magic, but that's very low priority and for now will only be updated with the status-inflicting spells since there's already solid Blue Magic guides out there.

e: Poison's up now.

e2: And Mini since there's little to that one (though doing the Blue Magic part of it was still time-consuming).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 25, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, this would be very cool. Dealing with all the Beastmaster possibilities might be a bit of a pain, though- especially with the weird collection of monsters that can show up in odd areas of the Rift (I know at the very least that Mammons, the trees that cast berserk, show up on the roof of the dimensional castle where you fight Twin Tania. Very helpful for berserking Shinryu).

The Algorithms guide is handy for this. It's a bit tedious, but I can just search every ability to see what all an enemy can use when caught.

I think the big issue is figuring out the best way to format all the Beastmaster stuff. Sounds like another potential project will be to do a Beastmaster guide with all abilities in alphabetical order. Fortunately thread favorite Dragondarch already has a list compiled of every catch ability.

Oh yeah and because I have the day off and nothing better to do I just added Toad as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sworder posted:

I went to check that out and noticed on your boss guide that you list every status that a boss is vulnerable to. Thanks for that! Most seem to only list immunities which can be a pain to cross-reference with your abilities to see what will actually work.

That's the reason I made the boss guide in the first place, actually! I couldn't find a single guide that had status vulnerabilities, so I ripped the immunities from all the bosses from the algorithms guide and from there compiled a list with status vulnerabilties and a few other key stats.

From there, I figured no reason not to put it on my page and maybe flesh it out a bit and there it is. At this point I'm trying to create a comprehensive list of resources that aren't easily available elsewhere, thus the status guide.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Think I heard that about that before. I got all my stuff from the Algorithms guide, which is based on the Super Famicom version, so that's why it's different.

I'll be sure to make note of that in the guide.

Also I changed some stuff around on the site in case any links I posted here suddenly break.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Streaming some World 2 of FF5.

e: Forgot the link. http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It depends on whether you're playing on an emulator (and thus can use turbo) and if you've got a good command that lets you breeze through battles mindlessly (!Animals/Nightingale, !Sing/Romeo's Ballad).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Poque posted:

Awesome, I'll just have to pray that I get a Bard instead of a Geomancer. :gonk:

PRE-REGISTERED!

Bardserkers are pretty awesome since Equip Harps give Berserkers a nice boost.

Also this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

#regChaos for me. It's more of a treat to get a Berserker randomly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Counterpoint: Why the PS1 translation rocks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

You forgot Adamngolem.

There's at least ten or so goofy monster names, didn't want to flood the thread with screenshots (or go back through every update to find each goofy name).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

khy posted:

I want to play this game but I don't want the MC to be named Butz and I can't come up with anything help

Fartz

Mega64
May 23, 2008

khy posted:

WHY did I think that asking on SomethingAwful would yield positive results

Oh yeah

It's because I'm really dumb

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gonna finish World 2 of my Samurai/Ranger/Red Mage/Dragoon chaos run.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Four Freelancers is a pain until you can loot Tycoon and get the Ashura and Healing Staff (and the Whip from Magissa). It's probably not a horrible idea to break the Ice Rod at Magissa/Forza either. Your offense will be lacking a bit at Karlabos, and for Siren you'll probably want to bring a lot of Potions so you can chip away at her undead form (Elixirs won't help since she's Heavy).

SubNat posted:

The sound patch + Balance mod seem to work just fine, so I'd be surprised if the Fiesta State one didn't.

As I mentioned though, mGBA handles the sound patch way better than VBA does.

Yeah, I've noticed dash being pretty wonky in VBA with the patch, plus AVI recordings are a pain in general since I have to change the colorspace whenever I re-encode them. Might have to give mGBA a try.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 30, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FillInTheBlank posted:

Are you using the old VBA 1.8 that hasn't been updated in years or the in active development VBA-m?
There is also Higan but that requires BIOS and doesn't have native recording.

VBA-rr, since old VBA has gradual audio-desync when you record AVIs, as I found out when I recorded boss battles for my first fiesta. I found this version on tasvideos.org since I figured they'd have good emulator recommendations that'd meet my needs.

I'm not a big fan of the whole VBA line though since there always seems to be small niggling problems here and there that I don't have to deal with in other emulators, so I'm happy giving something new a try.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

He was. Looks like it's caught his interest enough to make him consider streaming it.

He streamed it yesterday morning. A few enemies and many bosses have changed in the dungeons, mostly from other Final Fantasy games. For instance, Karlabos was replaced with Kraken, who will use Tidal Wave on his fourth turn and thus wipe the party, making it a battle against time.

You can check out the various bosses by clicking this link of the new Seal Guardians and checking all the related videos.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gonna stream some World 3 of my Samurai/Ranger/Red Mage/Dragoon run.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Time to finish World 3. Hopefully.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hopefully gonna beat Neo this time: http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

e: Got it on the second try. Go figure that a couple more levels for Almagest and switching my strategy to "Heal/play conservatively vs. Tree-Death and then Odin/Jump and Aim Grand Cross/Spam Zenigage on rest" would work wonders, with my beefy Samurai on Dualcast duties rezzing my other two after Almagest. Grand Cross was a pain, but I made it through well enough.

Party: Samurai/Ranger/Red Mage/Dragoon. Samurai is awesome with Zenigage, Iainuki (which I used on most random encounters until I got enough people with Rapidfire), and its evasion and tankiness. Ranger is awesome with Animals (my main source of healing for most of the game) and Rapidfire. Dragoon's alright too I guess, Jump is pretty nice and it's alright for Rapidfire. Red Mage pretty much needs another class with better magic than it to be useful, even if it can't dualcast that job's spells. Bard or Geomancer makes Dualcast more useful.

Anyway, think I'm done fiesta-ing until it starts proper, but I've got another crazy FF5 idea I've been toying with so I might play with that in the meantime.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 1, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd love to see a goon play alongside these guys to see how one of us would compare.

I'm also looking forward to more quotes for .dd

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Poque posted:

I wish #classic weren't forced-natural. That'd end up being fun (mostly due to being super-easy if your luck isn't a disaster).

You could always job fair any non-Classic job you get.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Nope! No Oracle abilities bring across their Magic score. Oracle is utterly dead weight.

Then give Oracle Equip Axes instead. The inaccuracy and huge damage swings even gel with their base abilities. That, plus telling an enemy's fortune by slamming an axe into their skull. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

yesssssssssss

• Locked thread