Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hoping for at least one run with the Berserker/Bard combo this year.

Bring it on, Gilgabot. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Prism posted:

Which was hilarious when I found it out. Plus, I mean, what else are they going to use as passives? Counter?

Depends on what jobs you get.

Knights - Two-Handed or Equip Swords
Monks - Barehanded or HP+30%
Thief - Artful Dodger
Black Mage - !Black 6
White Mage - !White 6
Blue Mage - Learning or !Blue

Red Mage - !Red 3
Summoner - !Summon 5
Time Mage - !Time 6
Mystic Knight - !Spellblade 6
Berserker - :geno:

Ninja - Dual Wield
Beastmaster - Equip Whips
Bard - Equip Harps
Ranger - Equip Bows
Geomancer - :negative:

Dancer - Equip Ribbon
Dragoon - Equip Spears
Samurai - Equip Katanas or Shirahadori
Chemist - Doesn't matter what you do with your Berseker, just slap !Mix on the other three and make the game beg for mercy. :science:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 19, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

CarbyBot Wind Job: Knight
CarbyBot Water Job: Thief
CarbyBot Fire Job: Summoner
CarbyBot Earth Job: Berserker

:hist101: :ese: :science: :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

What benefit to Freelancers have early in the game, just being able to equip anything?

Pretty much, yeah. That means stuff like being able to use the katana from Castle Tycoon without a Samurai, or the RIbbon from Karnak without a Dancer. Hell, even just straight up breaking rods if you're desperate.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Negating the flee chance with mug is a far bigger bonus to the chicken knife than turning upper 30s-lower 40s str into 50 something str.

Monks can give any class that can use the Chicken Knife the ability to negate the drawback with !Focus.

For the record, the following abilities will let you bypass the !Flee chance of the Chicken Knife:

!Mug (Thief), !Focus (Monk), !Rapid Fire (Ranger), !Jump (Dragoon), !Dance (Dancer)

Note that this works for pretty much any weapon that has a "chance to cast a spell/ability on hit" effect, not just the Chicken Knife. So you could, in theory, use these with Death Sickles or the Assassin's Dagger to fight Undead without worrying about accidentally healing them to full by Proc'ing Death on a hit.

There's also the Dual Wield trick where if you have a Twin Lance in your main hand (the first weapon you attack with) and the Chicken Knife in your off-hand (second weapon you attack with), you'll also bypass the !Flee effect.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It helps that all of the random encounters in the canal will only attack Faris or Lenna, so you can just stick them in the back and have them Defend while Bartz and Galuf do the killing, at least until you get to the boss.

Then it's just a matter of praying he doesn't kill/paralyze your guys with the weapons while you fling potions like mad to stay alive.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Knuckles can drop from an enemy in Pyramid.

Yeah, but it's a rare drop, and that encounter only shows up in a Monster-in-a-Box. It shows up in normal encounters in Istory Falls, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Oh, right, and then he proceeded to get the Earth Crystal into its critical/Earth Shaker phase only to realize he'd forgotten to repeat step 3 after his reset. :downs:

Nah, the Float part wasn't for the Earth Crystal, it was for the Gil Cave since the turtle in there has a party-wide ground-based attack that will kill you if you're not floating.

kaschei posted:

What does "SR" mean? Save/Reset?

Soft reset. Basically, check the chest, kill the monsters, and if the item doesn't drop, reset the game and try again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress it. :black101:

BRING ON THE CHAOS! I REG! I WIN! I REG AGAIN! :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Minrad posted:

so Chaos is completely random for each character, yes?

That's what we're assuming at this point in time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

You can check out the various bosses by clicking this link of the new Seal Guardians and checking all the related videos.

This is wonderful. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

khy posted:

Part of me thinks it'd be fun to participate in this, but I've got a loooooooong history of leaving RPGs half finished and I would likely not finish before this event is over and done with. I'm currently trying to play FF5 on my phone just because the job system still appeals to me, but I still have NO IDEA which jobs synergize with which and which are good and which are awful and so on and so forth. Too many choices makes me indecisive. Still I guess I'll give it a try sort of unofficially; play through on my own and come to this thread for help and advice.

Fiesta runs are great if you're the kind of player who gets decision paralysis when it comes to trying to figure out which jobs you need to level up and when because it effectively takes the decision out of your hands. Just sign up for a normal run and if you get stuck somewhere, either ask here in the thread or in #ffvfiesta on synirc.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Dragondarch's method for killing the Crystals is still nothing short of amazing, though.

(From last year's thread)

All this time later, I finally notice that I typed "prosperity" when I meant "posterity." :downs:

But yeah, dragondarch was bad at FFV last year. I've never seen his speed run attempts at other games, so who knows, maybe he's actually halfway competent in those, but here, he was completely out of his depth, even having supposedly done some research beforehand, and pretty much ignored any and all advice from Fiesta veterans who've been doing this poo poo for years and know better.

That said... for all the poo poo we give him for being terrible, it is nice that he's agreed to come back and do another run at this. Partly because people doing stuff for charity is always cool, and partly because I look forward to whatever batshit insanity we're going to end up adding to .dd on CarbyBot from this year's run.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Every time I see that effect go off, I can't help but :haw:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Asiina posted:

FF8 had high schools double as floating cars.

FF8 was a very silly game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Current crop of jobs is Blue Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster. On a Chaos Berserker Risk run.

Dunno what it is, but Gilgabot always gives me at least one Blue Mage during one of my runs each year.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

And final team lineup is...

... Okay then.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

You might also want to try and see if you can hit the Almagest portion with Catoblepas (Shoat) from the Magic Lamp. It's low odds, but if you can pull it off, it'll make your life so much easier.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Not to mention that if you're playing FF5 after a marathon of Dissidia, your brain remembers that the Brave Blade is really loving strong and Bartz bashes peoples' faces in and wow that must mean it's the "right" choice :downs:

Speaking of Dissidia, one of my favorite things with Gilgamesh in Dissidia 012 is that one of his eight weapons is listed as the "Chicken Knife (?)". Its physical appearance resembles a chicken, and it even makes clucking noises when you hit with it... but oddly enough, its attack power seems to rise when Gilgamesh's HP drops.

Poor guy got duped again. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

And that's run #1 finally finished. I got sidetracked by Heroes of the Storm all summer. Also was kinda burned out, partly from a pre-fiesta warm-up run.

Final Thoughts:

Blue Mage - Superstar, as always. But this is the third year in a row I've gotten a Blue Mage as my starting job for my first (and this year, looks like only) run, and I'm getting kinda sick of it. Trying to chase down all the blue magic doesn't help, even with a Beastmaster to help smooth things out (which was nicely countered by having not one, but TWO Berserkers). If I end up rolling Blue Mage as my wind job for my first run next year, I'm buying a thief. Say what you want about its combat performance, but at the end there, I was really missing Vigilance and a !Flee that works 100% of the time as opposed to 25% of the time. Granted, being in a hurry to finish before the end of the Fiesta might have had something to do with that, but it really seemed like drat near half the encounters in the Rift were back attacks, as if the RNG itself were out to spite me.

Berserker x2 - BERSERKER KILL STUFF GOOD. SOMETIMES SCREW UP BLUE MAGIC LEARNING BUT STILL USEFUL FOR KILL STUFF. TIMES TWO.

Beastmaster - Also known as "Blue Mage with half the MP total" because that's what he effectively was by the end of the game. I barely used the Pokemon cannon at all, though !Control saw some use. But not having access to the Gold Hairpin to help mitigate the cost of some of the more absurdly costed Blue Magic (there is really no good reason why Mighty Guard should cost 72 MP) meant he was part time Blue Mage, part time item bot, and occasionally whipped things.

I really gotta stop doing warm-up runs. I always end up burning out, then feeling bad when I don't manage to get in more than one or two official runs. :(

Still looking forward to next year! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

One run because I burned out way too early, no triple crown. Partly because I basically waited until the last minute to finish my run and didn't have time, and partly because while I could have theoretically killed both Omega and Shinryu with my team and a bit of luck, I really didn't want to deal with the headache of facing them with Blue Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Berserker.

• Locked thread