Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XsQIHGSNhs&t=82s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

Well, as the creator of the berserker tree, I suppose this year I have to go BERSERKERISK.

From the reveal picture on the blog, it seems like Chaos mode might be full randomization of every class, rather gradually introducing new classes like Random.

[m-bison-yes-yes]

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

guessing it probably also combines with the other game modes, so if you go random you can get multiples, no750/750 the class pool's limited, classic everyone's limited to the job they get from their crystal, etc

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bob, god of chaos

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LightningKimba posted:

I asked about this a long while back in a different IRC, but is it possible to pull a FJF with Bravely Default? 'Cause I wanted to do a new run of that game, and I figured doing an FJF would be a Cool Idea. ... Except I'm not sure how to go about it. :shobon:

i guess the only way you could do it would be to randomly choose a single job from each chapter and then go unlock it ASAP once you hit that chapter. the problem's that the game's way longer than ff5 and that you wouldn't be able to use your full team comp until you get to the last four chapters, which is so far through the game that you wouldn't be able to use your final comp for super long unless you do the optional fights/dungeon. the other thing's that BD's more about experimenting with job combos and that each job's not as self-contained as ff5. the reason 5 works so well is because you get all the jobs except mime pretty early and it's short

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, the Rune Axe is loving beastly with a good magic passive behind it - if it wasn't only 81 Attack (versus 127 of the Chicken Knife), it might actually be the second best weapon in the game, since it works similar to the CK (specifically, it adds an extra M multiplier based off of your Magic stat).

also if it didn't have the axe lol random damage stat or the axe lol higher miss chance stat. man axes suck

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

although tbf the rune axe only has 10% less accuracy than swords. still has the stupid random attack poo poo though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dang, whips are actually pretty good. they add (level+agility)/128 to their M (it's bugged, but still), they've got built-in paralyze/magic, they're back-row capable. their random weapon attack modifier's nothing to write home about but if the damage calculation bug were fixed and there were just one or two more in the game they'd be a real powerhouse

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Tried .chaos in preparation/desperate hoping for true random..
No.
NO!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
Oh. Well, okay then.

samurai is hilariously good and arguably the best heavy armor user in a game where heavy armor is powrful, hth

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Eh. Samurai's far from being hilariously good - it won't make a bad party better and it won't make a good party worse. Its toolkit is anemic - Shirahadori is mediocre since an ability slot is usually more valuable than a 25% evasion check, Zeninage is highly situational due to its formula and any party that has to rely on it is in abysmal shape already, and Iainuki is a decent instant kill effect for a skill 800+ AP deep into a subpar physical attacker. Crits are nice, but so unreliable as to barely count as a perk.

Heavy Armor is nice. Offensive power is better. It's no Geomancer or Dragoon, but it's still a third-rate class.

you're really undervaluing zeninage, it's an excellent way to tear through some of the nastiest bosses in the game (including neo) and iainuki is IMO the best non-magical trash-sweeper in the game. the masamune's also arguably the second best weapon in the non-GBA game, acting first and being able to grant haste on demand is huge. you're right, shirahadori's not great as an equipped ability but having one party member that's basically invulnerable to physical damage (SH+elf cape+shield+heavy armor) is pretty choice, and if it weren't for the insane endgame swords katanas would pretty much be swords: the better version. they've also got a buynch of party synergy: zeninage benefits heavily from level boosts on bard or chemist or blue magic like off-guard, 2hing a katana is nasty as heck if you get knight and they're a great chassis for pretty much any other skill

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Excalibur is holy elemental, and there are a handful of enemies in the final dungeon that absorb holy.

bvut also a fair number that are weak to holy, and it gives +5 str. it's a good weapon

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yo, skimming through the gdoc, can we take out the first tip under the knight? it tells people to a) get the brave blade and b) not run away from stuff ever, both of which aren't true

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

In fact, the only combination that no one's ever reported beating the game with is one berserker and three dead teammates. And that's just because they got to NED and decided it was too dependent on luck to wait it out.

(Every job besides berserker has been used in that combo to finish the game. But as you might imagine, some of them are rather tedious.)

someone actually did solo berserker through neo:

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/FF/berserker3.html

only thing is that it literally took multiple emulators running in fastforward for a long weekend to happen. the odds of everything working out are just pathetically low and it might only be possible because of the berserker underflow glitch on SNES

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Asiina posted:

For a non-traditional fiesta I like the idea that at each crystal you also get a new job for the crystals before it and you can no longer use your jobs from the previous crystal.

So a run could look like

Wind: Thief
Water: Black Mage, Berserker
Fire: Monk, Summoner, Geomancer
Earth: Black Mage, Time Mage, Ninja, Samurai

It's like multiple fiestas in one! Deciding whether you can keep any skills you learned before you got the new job is up to you, although I think for most people if that was an option they'd just grind out everything before they got their new jobs and that's boring.

the problem there's the same reason the fiesta works so well, you get most of the jobs super quickly and entirely at the beginning of the game. so for everything except the first like four or five hours it'd just be a normal fiesta

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

* You have four party members with different weapons needs and can only get 3 weapons with the Pyramid tablet.

The only circumstance I can think of where that would apply is with Knight (Excalibur), Berserker (Rune Axe or Assassin Dagger), Beastmaster (Flame Lash) and Samurai or Dragoon (Masamune/Holy Lance) in which case... just go to the void anyway to get the Thor Hammer, or grind Stingrays to get the Dragon Whip. Every other arrangement (in a normal run) has some means of using the Chicken Knife, or multiple users of the same type of weapon who would be boned anyway.

otoh flame lash is one of the highest dps weapons in the game if the enemy takes damage from fire3, and it's worth doing the island shrine to get the beast killer anyway. no real reason not to have all three as long as you're ok grinding stingrays

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

he's also weak to wind IIRC

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pneub posted:

Natural isn't too hard if you don't suck at planning.

it's not hard but it's god-awful boring

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i like how for the last three years i've been saying that they should put in a mode where you'd get a pool of every job at every crystal and everyone was pooh-poohing it because you'd need a mod. look at us now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

For Shinryu, sure, it's just tedious as poo poo to keep trying over and over again and really depends on which Wind job you got if you're going to not want to die before it's done.

For Omega, I doubt it since his 95% evade and 190 defense just make !Fight worthless and the counterattack rips through the dum-dums.

whm/zerk/zerk/zerk should be able to handle it if you put mirage vests on everyone and land the initial berserk on shinryu. as long as you can start getting blink up before the white mage drops you should be good to go

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dr pepper gets it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

realtalk, i've never done risk because the whole fun of the challenge for me is getting a random team setup and knowing for sure one plus of the classes I'm going to get would kill it for me.

basically what i'm saying is that if chaos is what i think it is this is going to be a good year for fungah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Brannock posted:

How is this different than the old random mode? Just that you can get duplicates?

I think Chaos would be interesting if along with assigning jobs, it also assigned your abilities. Try to win with what you're given!

every time you get a new job it gets pulled from the full pool of twenty instead of what's normally available at that crystal, sounds like. my b ody is ready

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

someone should bug kewpuh and ask for a sticky once prereg opens up for real, see if we can drum up some more interest

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vil posted:

Fair enough, though I do think a single natural run can be worthwhile if only to know firsthand just why it is that everyone shits on it.

natural sucks because the core of the game is interacting with job abilities and taking that away neuters the game. the reason single class and character challenges work is because they replace the ability tinkering with mechanical challenges (how do i beat this boss whose gimmick doesn't work with my class, how do i deal with this gimmick with a single character, etc.), natural doesn't have that because you still have four toolsets for everything which unless you get really screwed means that it's not much harder than a normal run

anyone reading this, that's why you don't do natural runs

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

did they ever fix the omniscient reflect glitch? or is that still a problem

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kewpuh posted:

just let me know when

good man, will do

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

i won't be able to name him anything but butz

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Half of Dracula posted:

This year I will actually finish the Fiesta. Loaded up last year's game to remember why I stopped: Monk / Berserker / Geomancer / Dancer isn't bad, but it's not very engaging to play.

no, that's pretty bad. like, arguably the worst team possible bad

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

only one i could think of that's worse is monk/red mage/geomancer/dancer and that's arguable

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

I'm doing this for the first time. I don't think I ever beat FF5 before, so this is going to be extra fun.

My party is knight/summoner/ninja/samurai. Am I correct in assuming that I am going to be very reliant on healing potions?

yeah but poo poo's going to die so quickly that it's not going to matter. also quick tip, ninja's scrolls scale off of magic so if you give him !summon you're going to tear poo poo up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

khy posted:

Part of me thinks it'd be fun to participate in this, but I've got a loooooooong history of leaving RPGs half finished and I would likely not finish before this event is over and done with. I'm currently trying to play FF5 on my phone just because the job system still appeals to me, but I still have NO IDEA which jobs synergize with which and which are good and which are awful and so on and so forth. Too many choices makes me indecisive. Still I guess I'll give it a try sort of unofficially; play through on my own and come to this thread for help and advice.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Poque posted:

What necessitates Reflect Ring farming? I've never felt the need. Is it just for Omniscient?

it's a convenience thing more than anything else, easier to just farm them up than it is to buy them later. plus hey, grinding with a goal

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

You can't buy them. The only other source is rare steals in the Phoenix Tower.

oh, i was thinking of haste shoes for some reason, buh buh buh

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hell yeah, puwexil's a cool dude

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

69 with a cumulative time of 420 manhours

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yospos bitch

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I'd love to see a goon play alongside these guys to see how one of us would compare.

I'm also looking forward to more quotes for .dd

i was actually thinking about doing it. i do completionist runs so i'd probably run slow though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

matter of fact gently caress it, i'm going to run alongside dd with the same team and see how well i do. probably won't be able to run it simultaneously because of work and poo poo but i bet i can beat his overall time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Poulpe posted:

So this'll be my first FJF and my first time playing FF5 at all in like 10+ years- am I going to hit some kind of complete brick wall challenge wise? I realize of course that some combinations are easier than others for sure but I'm hearing a lot of stuff like "don't level up that's stupid," which is definitely not how I was imagining playing it.

I guess is there a generic "things you should know before you try this"?

leveling up's totally fine, most teams actually have to do it to make it through the last boss. all leveling does is increase your HP/MP max and very rarely bump your damage multipliers though so grinding doesn't matter much. your stats are set by your character and job with modifiers from equipment, there's no stat growth through leveling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

So RK confirmed a bit more of Chaos on the subreddit today, and yea, Chaotic Neutral/dis_astringent were right; you only use Freelancers as long as you have access to none of your assigned jobs.

Yes, this means if you get a Fire/Earth job at Wind and Berserker at water, it's Zerkers Until Karnak. :unsmigghh:

(apparently the random assignment of jobs will be engineered to minimize needed freelancer time, as well)

do we know if dupes are allowed?

i wish he'd clarify this on the page, i just wnat to know what the rules are

• Locked thread