Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Personally for me, it boils down to the combo of !Flee and innate Vigilance. Yes, they're convenience/utility abilities. They also happen to be a really big deal as far as convenience goes, in my book.

Especially in a fiesta-like setting where I need to be able to adapt to poo poo, convenience and utility rank a lot higher than damage synergy in a vacuum, compared to a normal playthrough where I know I'll always be able to dish out enough damage to negate their usefulness. The convenience of being able to escape any random battle immediately is severely diminished if you can also win that random battle almost as immediately, but there's no guarantee in a fiesta that you'll be able to do that.

If I roll a high damage team, sure, I probably won't care about escaping as much. But if I roll a low damage team (which, yes, thief itself would contribute to, but so would monk), !Flee is like a gift from the heavens. These days, random battles typically can give me more trouble in a fiesta than bosses do, between quantity of battles and number of opponents per battle and relative lack of detailed documentation about "this is a good way to handle X enemy with X jobs" compared to the bosses and general gradual resource drain (especially in the CoD).

Being able to write all of that off and ignore it by escaping everything is huge, to me. In contrast, thief being relative dead weight on bosses except for Twin Lance or Chicken Knife shenanigans or serving as a high agility chassis for something else... eh. It doesn't bug me. But I can see how one or both of these points may carry very little weight with someone else, because they're subjective priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I like Leviathan if I've also got a chemist to mix an all-element boost onto whoever's summoning, though I really only do that when I'm in "trounce Neo-Exdeath so embarrassingly hard because I got both summoner and chemist" mode. For almost all late-game situations, you're better off with cheap and conveniently boosted Syldra, or Bahamut if Syldra's not an option (e.g. enemy absorbs wind).

But as far as practical stopping points, I'd generally agree with Schwartzcough. After pyramid, after shrine, or after fork tower, depending on party comp. Although if you beat the fork tower it doesn't really hurt to loot the other two places for treasure. You can even beat them too, seeing as Leviathan will just let you stroll right on by, and the trio in the trench are trivialized with the magic lamp (which can be conveniently recharged afterward, right there in the trench).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Don't weasel out of your berserker just by sneakily misspelling the tag for it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

KharlanTree posted:

My first time around, let's do this!

Question! How long does it normally take to get your jobs? Just curious since I have no clue haha.

The fiesta has to properly start, first. Calm yourself, and channel your internal anticipation to the thought of berserkers and dancing Bartz.

Once it's going, you generally get them within a minute or two.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In terms of difficulty, 750 is easier than normal which is easier than no750.

Although both 750 and no750 do offer the advantage of giving you combinations more likely to have synergy with each other.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

750 run with BERSERKER RISK here, because of whatever goon mentioned it earlier and I found the idea intriguing enough to want to try. Also threw 5 berserkers into the pot.

Second run will be chaos because I'm psyched to try that out, but since only the first run can have the berserker risk, I decided to build around that first.

PSA to anyone new to the fiesta: avoid natural for your first run(s). It's anti-fun.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fair enough, though I do think a single natural run can be worthwhile if only to know firsthand just why it is that everyone shits on it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Wait, hold on, in my practice I got the Fire Crystal jobs and they were only Ninja, Beastmaster, and Geomancer, so I put those in the RNG. Was I supposed to add Ranger and Bard? When do I get those?

You get them a bit later, after the library and possibly some optional world exploring that's best delayed until you can travel without random encounters anyway.

But yes, they're fire crystal jobs too. If you roll ranger or bard, you just use your wind and water jobs that you'd been using beforehand, until you unlock those two jobs, at which point you swap someone appropriately.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

I am curious about which version people prefer. I know the mods in the OP are for the GBA version, right? Since I've never played FFV prior to my Fiesta run, I'd love to know what I'm in for if I use different versions.

GBA and iOS versions have the best localization (honorary nod to PS1 version for having a laughably terrible one).

iOS has better enemy sprites and much shittier character sprites.

iOS is played on a phone/tablet and therefore benefits from inherent mobility and suffers from touchscreen controls. It also has a nice auto-battle function (which is really the only Practical Gameplay Reason to favor it).

SNES and PS1 are nice if you're a purist and want a more "original" experience. Or if you, ya know, already have them.

GBA has tinny music but that can be corrected with a mod.

PS1 (via PSN) and iOS are, I think, the only currently available legitimate versions. I would not recommend buying a GBA/SNES (or rather, SFC) cartridge off eBay or something.

Overall my recommendation is solidly GBA, with a nod to iOS if you don't mind its touchscreen controls and character sprites.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I figured chaos would be an interesting enough run on its own without berserker risk (seems you're perfectly capable of getting berserkers from it anyway), and I wanted to see the 750 + berserker risk combo.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

One easy one, with that job setup. The second easy one is locked behind Omniscient and I'd rather Thief Knife a rare steal than run him out of MP.

Unless there are easy ones that I'm forgetting, besides the ones in the forest of Moore and Istory Falls.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hubris.height posted:

quick question; which is more useful against neo ex death if i can't survive almagerst or w/e

elven mantle for 33% evade
protect ring for mag defense
reflect ring for possible reflects

is there a point to bumping magic defense up by 10? will it significantly decrease the damage taken by almagerst? my party can't cast shield or wonder wall, and the quick save trick for fighting the movers isn't working anymore after they escaped from me, so i need to evaluate my options again.

4. Hermes Sandles to help you kill the Almagest part before it uses it. Aegis Shields on your berserker and samurai. Also I'm pretty sure your red mage should be able to use the Wonder Wand to get Shell on someone. All else failing, some teams simply have to bust out a few levels.

Also the whole point of the quick save trick is that it gives you a clean slate and fixed start point on encounter RNG, so it shouldn't matter if they escaped once or not. As a reminder, the process is:

- Quick save in the area you want the rare encounter for (brings you back to main menu)
- Continue, reloading (and automatically deleting) that quick save you just made (not a regular save)
- Get into a fight
- Win or run from it
- Get into another fight
- Enjoy the rare encounter for the area

I think it also only works in the NA version, not the EU version. Could be mistaken.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Specifically, Ribbons are in:

- Karnak escape (world 1)
- Pyramid (world 3)
- Regole (world 3)
- Phoenix Tower as a rare steal (world 3)
- Interdimensional Rift's forest (world 3)

The Phoenix Tower stolen one is really only for if you want to get it before poking your head into the rift, and/or if you missed the one in Karnak. And in both cases only if you want more than 2-3 people wearing Ribbons at once.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Even when you're not in a fiesta and can min/max your jobs for it, Gil Turtle's still kind of annoying and you only get gil from walking down that hallway. Besides, if you spend any appreciable amount of time in everyone's favorite basement learning abilities, you'll have a shitload of gil from that anyway.

So no, feel free to skip it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They also give somewhat low experience if you'd rather not overlevel, and decent gil. You can learn a lot of abilities while gaining relatively few levels there.

And I think the quicksave idea with the gil turtle is to use quicksave's other effect of resetting your steps to next encounter. Though I wonder if that applies to the gil turtle as well, since I feel it works differently than your standard random encounter.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm guessing the joke is that somewhere in the SNES translation, there's a point where Krile/Cara has a line consisting solely of an emoticon or something. And that seeing that would be the only reason to take that translation over the GBA one, which is otherwise vastly superior.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The first time I played the game was with a VERY bad fan translation, different from the one that's commonly used now. Every character swore up a loving storm.

Reminds me of that one Tales of Phantasia translation back in the day.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Herux posted:

ninja / blue / time / chemist

No opportunities to get around the Chicken Knife's flee trigger there, but on the flip side you have both blue mage and chemist (and even time mage for Quick shenanigans), so it's not like you're hurting for effective combat options.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

Hmmm... I got Blue Mage/Red Mage/Bard

...and the bot never sent me my Earth Crystal tweet? Well, I rolled randomly and got Chemist, but I'd rather get an official one.

Sometimes you don't get the tweet, but your listing on the site will still update. Go find your Twitter handle in the list. If it still says a mystery earth job, tweet again.

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php

Herux posted:

True but i wasted like 30 minutes fleeing from 256 battles lol! Also getting mighty guard via dancing dagger was the worst...now i need white wind in world 3, so i guess that means rift? Anything else have white wind and yes I missed it from the hellraisers in the castle.

Learning experience, with a moral of "make sure you can abuse the Chicken Knife before you take the time to max out your flee count". Most of us have been there. And besides, Chicken Knife is still good damage most of the time.

For White Wind, you can either go into the Rift, or you can go into the sunken tower where you get the useless-to-fiesta mimic job. (Requires beating fork tower first.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Herux posted:

Looks like that is a no go...do I have another option for an omega kill? chem/nin/time/blue

Considering that a single Chemist can solo Omega, four people with !Mix should be able to handle it with extra room for redundancy. Especially when you add Quick into the mix.

Basically you buff the poo poo out of yourselves to nerf one after another of his dangerous options, then kiss him to death if you have no better offensive option.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I was thinking of Succubus Kiss.

Also, every time I see mention of some quirk specific to mobile it seems to be anti-fun, even setting aside the terrible character sprites. :(

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Basically, loon told me that since my Mystic Knight also had !Sing, I could try to have the MK and the Bard both use Romeo's Ballad to keep Omega stopped. It didn't really work out, since Omega just isn't stopped for long at all.

This does work, but you have to be careful about staggering their ATB. You don't want them to go absolutely back to back - you want one to go, then refill about half their remaining ATB, then the other one goes. And every now and then Omega will go "gently caress you" and get a turn in anyway.

Alternatively, you could try having one bard sing Swift Song and the other bard try to partially stunlock Omega (which gets easier as their agility goes up from the first bard), but it probably wouldn't work well enough. Works great if you have a third controllable character though - two on stunlock duty, one raising agility.

Either way, it's a moot point since you got your win, so good job!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Two in W3; if you're going to Istory Falls for the one in the chest, you might as well bump off Leviathan and get the one he drops too.

You can also Thief Knife more of them in Phoenix Tower if you're really desperate, for almost any setup. (Setups with bona fide Thieves can, of course, just steal them in Exdeath's Castle in the first place.)

Really, getting them as drops is primarily useful for mid W2 to early W3. Which mostly boils down to the crystals, Exdeath, and (maybe) Melusine.

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 22, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, while I've farmed up the Reflect Rings in W2 several times, I've rarely actually needed them. It's more of a "oh, but what if" :ohdear: behavior.

Not going to bother in this run (WHM/BZK/BRD/DNC). White magic alone can take care of things. Which I really need to finish up before the end of the month, come to think of it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Nope. In terms of story, the spells are taken at the same time.

Anyway, one strategy with that team might be to Berserk him and spam Blink while plinking away with physicals. Unless you're playing mobile (where React scripts ignore Berserk, or something like that), in which case... Reflect Rings. Sorry.

You can silence him and attack immediately afterwards (provided silence lands) with that setup, which should work even on mobile. He's heavy, so it'll wear off really fast and you'll want the other person to be ready for a command as soon as you see whether or not silence landed.

Hassle, but still a lot faster than waiting out his MP pool.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, you could try Thief Knifing that rare Aegis Shield steal in the Rift, though that's so late as to be next to useless.

Personally I'd take a dancer and samurai (with !Mix on at least one of them) in there, mix up the samurai's levels, then do the mage masher silence thing with the dancer and be ready to throw a shitload of gil at him as soon as the silence kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I did a mere 1 run this year, albeit triple crowned. It was a 750 berserker risk, which turned out to be a really nice combo overall. I'll probably do that again next year as my first run.

I normally do more, but I was slightly distracted by this thing called Heavensward.

• Locked thread