Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

gatesealer posted:

ok all I have left to do is kill neo-exdeath. I was hoping to kill shinryu and omega as well. What is a good strategy for a party of samurai/knight/summoner/bard?

I don't know how you'd go about hurting omega, but you can stop him indefinitely with three hasted singers. As for shinryu, with items and summons, i think you should be able to just fight him straight up. Appolo's harp will do good damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Nasgate posted:

I don't know how you'd go about hurting omega, but you can stop him indefinitely with three hasted singers. As for shinryu, with items and summons, i think you should be able to just fight him straight up. Appolo's harp will do good damage.

Once Omega is Stopped, his absurd evasion drops to 0. Take advantage of that and hit him with Coral Swords and/or Ramuh, which will get past his defenses since they're hitting his weakness.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Second job for this run is Time Mage. Well, guess that's another triple crown for me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, it has Mac/Linux compatibility, Steam cloud saves, and TSLCRM semi-official in the Workshop. Plus it naively supports widescreen resolutions, etc.

Huh, that's pretty neat, thanks. Now I know what I'm doing this weekend.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Ok. So my party is:
-Dancer
-Knight
-Sorcerer/mystic knight/spellblade (playing the PSN version)
-Hunter/Ranger

Soooo. What should my final build be? Can someone give me some advice please? And who of the two optional bosses can I kill with this party?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

redreader posted:

Ok. So my party is:
-Dancer
-Knight
-Sorcerer/mystic knight/spellblade (playing the PSN version)
-Hunter/Ranger

Soooo. What should my final build be? Can someone give me some advice please? And who of the two optional bosses can I kill with this party?

Spell blade/Rapidfire is a given. IIRC spell blade does work with sword dance, though not the other dances. I guess the knight would also get Rapidfire? Enjoy hitting things.

Thundaga blade Rapidfire murders omega if you can survive long enough but that's doubtful without any support classes. Not sure about shinryu

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Fungah! posted:

yeah they fixed that too. what's the rest of your team

ninja / blue / time / chemist

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Herux posted:

ninja / blue / time / chemist

No opportunities to get around the Chicken Knife's flee trigger there, but on the flip side you have both blue mage and chemist (and even time mage for Quick shenanigans), so it's not like you're hurting for effective combat options.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Vil posted:

No opportunities to get around the Chicken Knife's flee trigger there, but on the flip side you have both blue mage and chemist (and even time mage for Quick shenanigans), so it's not like you're hurting for effective combat options.

True but i wasted like 30 minutes fleeing from 256 battles lol! Also getting mighty guard via dancing dagger was the worst...now i need white wind in world 3, so i guess that means rift? Anything else have white wind and yes I missed it from the hellraisers in the castle.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Hmmm... I got Blue Mage/Red Mage/Bard

...and the bot never sent me my Earth Crystal tweet? Well, I rolled randomly and got Chemist, but I'd rather get an official one.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

Hmmm... I got Blue Mage/Red Mage/Bard

...and the bot never sent me my Earth Crystal tweet? Well, I rolled randomly and got Chemist, but I'd rather get an official one.

Sometimes you don't get the tweet, but your listing on the site will still update. Go find your Twitter handle in the list. If it still says a mystery earth job, tweet again.

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php

Herux posted:

True but i wasted like 30 minutes fleeing from 256 battles lol! Also getting mighty guard via dancing dagger was the worst...now i need white wind in world 3, so i guess that means rift? Anything else have white wind and yes I missed it from the hellraisers in the castle.

Learning experience, with a moral of "make sure you can abuse the Chicken Knife before you take the time to max out your flee count". Most of us have been there. And besides, Chicken Knife is still good damage most of the time.

For White Wind, you can either go into the Rift, or you can go into the sunken tower where you get the useless-to-fiesta mimic job. (Requires beating fork tower first.)

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Vil posted:

Sometimes you don't get the tweet, but your listing on the site will still update. Go find your Twitter handle in the list. If it still says a mystery earth job, tweet again.

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php

That did it.

Got Blue Mage/Red Mage/Bard/Samurai.

GET REKT

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

redreader posted:

When does this end?

I've been wondering the same thing. It's not listed prominently, but if you go to http://fourjobfiesta.com/ and look in the top-left at the charity thing it says "Ends September 1", so I'm assuming that's it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yep, every Fiesta is a summer-long engagement, so whenever in June that it starts until September 1.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Crystals boss was a tougher round than usual, given that team Blue/Zerk/White/Bard is a bit lacking in damage output. Probably might've done it in fewer attempts if I bothered to keep track of their HPs, but Zerk made that a pain in the rear end without constantly stopping to log HP losses, so nerts to that. And even with four Reflect Rings, one Aqua Breath or Earth Shaker typically meant a failed attempt. And once again, Death Sickle procs were disappointingly rare. But I eventually managed it by getting one proc on the water one, Dark Sparking the earth one in case it got to Earth Shaker (it did) and rushing it with two people dropping Air Knife Aerogas when that started. After that the Reflect Rings helped keep the other two from murderin' my rear end while I plinked away at them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Vil posted:

This is not true: all ninjas can bypass the Chicken Knife's flee trigger. Equip a twinlance in the top slot, the knife in the bottom, and you're good to go. (unless you're on mobile in which case welp)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

neongrey posted:

This is not true: all ninjas can bypass the Chicken Knife's flee trigger. Equip a twinlance in the top slot, the knife in the bottom, and you're good to go. (unless you're on mobile in which case welp)

he's on mobile

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh well then. Sucks.

I just know a lot of people don't seem to know about the twinlance thing for whatever reason.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Someone already said it but yeah I am on mobile...Also sea trench was annoying without a geo but did it anyway because meteor (yes please) Pretty much have everything I need to go for the void. Thanks again for all your input guys!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
With Zerk, White Mage, and Bard all running their awesome legendary weapons, Blue Mage is stuck with Chicken Knife and no way to avoid the !Flee proc. Why does Goblin Punch have to ignore the run-boosted power? :negative:

Mind you, Blue also has Excalipoor, but seriously, Chicken Knife Goblin Punches at 127 power would be a great thing.

EDIT: Wait, they can equip Magus Rod too! I'll need the second tablet anyway since I definitely want Holy.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 24, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
OK, now that I've got almost all the White and Blue Magics and all the Songs, I'm finally starting to see some insanity with my team. Mighty Guard + Might March + Hero's Rime = an effectively invincible team. I actually had to do the Wendigo battle FIVE times because Berserker with Rune Axe and !White (for magic power) kept ending the battle before Mind Blast hit my Blue Mage; after the third attempt I put Learning back on everyone (though round 4 was also a bust since he somehow never used Mind Blast once) just to get it.

Given that he's usually so annoying, it's so very satisfying to trivialize the battle so. And now I'm about to kick it up another notch by going to get Holy. :getin:

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Just finished Omniscient with Redmage/Whitemage (other end was Ranger/Monk). Phew, what a slow one. Fortunately I habitually grinded a bunch so I was statted enough to handle his spells and do just enough damage to take him out with reflects added.

Is there a good way to keep track of reflects and how they work? The double reflect kind of threw me for a loop. Is it a set duration or number of reflects, and does it only ever reflect once?

Maybe I could have done it differently with berserk/counter too I guess. I'm not sure whats most efficient for that party

Also breaking rods counts as a physical attack?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Just finished Omniscient with Redmage/Whitemage (other end was Ranger/Monk). Phew, what a slow one. Fortunately I habitually grinded a bunch so I was statted enough to handle his spells and do just enough damage to take him out with reflects added.

Is there a good way to keep track of reflects and how they work? The double reflect kind of threw me for a loop. Is it a set duration or number of reflects, and does it only ever reflect once?

Maybe I could have done it differently with berserk/counter too I guess. I'm not sure whats most efficient for that party

Also breaking rods counts as a physical attack?

Reflect lasts for a certain amount of clockticks. I believe Haste halves the duration, and Slow makes it last longer.

And yes, rod breaking is physical. Basically any command that isn't explicitly colored magic (or !Time or !Summon) counts as a physical attack, even if it does magical damage (this also applies to stuff like !Lance, !Throw, and !Gaia)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Crystals boss was a tougher round than usual, given that team Blue/Zerk/White/Bard is a bit lacking in damage output.

Uh...Death Claw?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Uh...Death Claw?

Tried it a few times, but those bastards apparently have really high M.Evasion.

*checks the algorithm FAQ*

OK, they have an M.Evade of 20 which isn't that much, but the big problem is that Death Claw takes the hit% takes user and target levels into account, and all four of the crystals are level 77. So let's see, if I'm adding this right (Death Claw has a hit rate of 66% and I think I was about level 26 at the time):
Hit% = Spell Hit% + Attacker Level - Target Level
Evade% = Target Magic Evade%

So, 66 + 26 - 77 = 15%, which is then checked against the 20% M.Evade. That's a pretty long shot there.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
OMGWTF and crew have danced NED to death.

Monk is actually not super lovely when they can sword dance. It does decent damage.

Bufuman posted:

OK, they have an M.Evade of 20 which isn't that much, but the big problem is that Death Claw takes the hit% takes user and target levels into account, and all four of the crystals are level 77. So let's see, if I'm adding this right (Death Claw has a hit rate of 66% and I think I was about level 26 at the time):

So, 66 + 26 - 77 = 15%, which is then checked against the 20% M.Evade. That's a pretty long shot there.

Berserker with a death scythe?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bufuman posted:

While I can't see any flaw with what you're saying and the FAQ backs you up, I have definitely had Death Claw work on the crystals before, and I certainly wasn't much higher than 26 myself when I did it. Many other people in the thread have also said to use Death Claw. Maybe there's some sort of other thing in the programming where if it's possible for a spell to hit, even if theoretically the magic evade makes it so it has a hit rate of 0, it has a hit rate of like 1% or something.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Through the power of rapid fire chicken knifery and dualcast Holy spam I made it!

I also beat Shinryu with the liberal Berserk/Blink usage but I'm dumb and overwrote the screenshot with the Exdeath one

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

While I can't see any flaw with what you're saying and the FAQ backs you up, I have definitely had Death Claw work on the crystals before, and I certainly wasn't much higher than 26 myself when I did it. Many other people in the thread have also said to use Death Claw. Maybe there's some sort of other thing in the programming where if it's possible for a spell to hit, even if theoretically the magic evade makes it so it has a hit rate of 0, it has a hit rate of like 1% or something.

Oh yeah, it works just fine, the hit chance is just around 12% or so.

That said I'd much rather spam Death Claws than, like, try to deal with them normally.

You don't reduce your hit rate by the evasion rate, they're two separate checks.

Check 1: Did I Hit? (Base Hit Rate - Defender's Level + Attacker's Level, floor of 1% and ceiling of 99% unless an A% Hit spell in which case you don't bother with this poo poo)
Check 2: Did They Evade? (Random 0...99; if number rolled is less than the defender's MEv%, they evaded and you don't hit)

If you consider that 20% of your hits will be misses due to evasion, you get the 12% odds I mention above (.15 * .8 = .12).

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

This was a really fun team. Managed to pull it out but break sword made life easy. Lap 2 done!

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Knight | Monk | Bard | White Mage

Oh christ I can't wait to get Hero's Rime and Holy. Everything sucks until I do.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Man the game ramps up after twintania. MO more autobattle for me :( in fact, I guess I'll have to switch out two-handed and start strategizing, starting with necrophobe.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mustard Iceman posted:

Oh christ I can't wait to get Hero's Rime and Holy. Everything sucks until I do.

At least you can fastforward through random encounters really easily. And you can use Brave Blade!!!

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So with Bard, Blue Mage, Black Mage, and Ranger I am currently wondering if I should have my Ranger use Rapid Fire or if they should be my second sing user, because I kinda feel that while the Bard and Ranger sing then the two mages will be firing off whatever is the best spell for the job, but this also makes the Ranger not as good for those moments when I am done buffing stats or maintaining stop. The other option is make the Blue Mage be the second sing user, but this also means that while I gain Rapid Fire, I am losing more -aga spells/Flare.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mustard Iceman posted:

It's not so bad. Romeo's Ballad and Twohanded will easily carry you through any random encounters, and White Mage trivialises boss fights.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I added some hyperlinks to the algorithm guide & thought I'd share:
http://ctrl-c.club/~fleacircus/ff5algorithm.html

Pretty much it's some brain-dead grep replacements to add links to the (6.4.2)-type sections and (HEX: 43)-type codes because chasing those around the file with ctrl-F was really starting to get my goat. If you like it feel free to save a copy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sax Solo posted:

Pretty much it's some brain-dead grep replacements to add links to the (6.4.2)-type sections and (HEX: 43)-type codes because chasing those around the file with ctrl-F was really starting to get my goat. If you like it feel free to save a copy.

Yessss thank you. I look up stuff like this on phones and iOS Safari can't control f so this is a godsend.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sax Solo posted:

You are a loving saint.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sax Solo posted:

Are you okay with this replacing the links I have everywhere for the alg guide (the op, IRC, etc)? If not, I'll mirror it.

That said, you are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Wow I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you okay with this replacing the links I have everywhere for the alg guide (the op, IRC, etc)? If not, I'll mirror it.

I don't mind either way. I don't know anything about the longevity or uptime of the ctrl-c.club site, so if you are confident in where you can mirror it you should probably do that.

• Locked thread