Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yay, it's almost Fiesta time! :woop:

Played FFV for the first time last winter to get a taste for it. Gonna start with a regular run, a 750 run, and then see what happens. Maybe chaos, maybe BERSERKERRISK :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Okay so I moved cross-state and have been doing really boring things like buying lawn mowers and unpacking boxes and such but I sort of have free time now and decided to register! Hoping to do multiple runs so the first one will just be normal.

Also holy poo poo at the donations recently :stare:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Away at the beach but I just checked and my first job is Knight. Score.

My first ever Fiesta commences in a week! :black101:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Back from the beach and ready to Fiesta! Saw my first job was Knight while I was gone. About to get started so I thought I'd check my Water job.

My first Fiesta will be a :black101: Fiesta :getin:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bah, wanted to know my full team (and if I should go Chicken Knife of Brave Blade) and got Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Samurai. I'm thinking Brave Blade, no?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

You have no way of bypassing the Chicken Knife's flee effect, so the Brave Blade would be the superior choice. The question is whether you're willing to fight every single encounter just to get a weapon that's a bit better than the Excalibur.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I don't mind fighting every battle and with Equip Swords I can use Excal on someone else (not sure about BB, never had it before).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, with the moves Sweeney is making, I don't blame him. :v:

:thurman:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I hoped at least you would appreciate that.

There have to be more hockey-Fiesta bros right?

Also seeing Green sign with Detroit was almost as bad as seeing my Geomancer tweet. :smith:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Finally to World 3... haven't had time to do a marathon session so I'm picking at it bit by bit.

Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Samurai, pretty sure I can't do Shinryu or Omega as I have no way to berserk Shinny or slow down the robot, unless I'm missing something? Geomancer... great for random battles but I was hoping they could use Wonder Wand... nope. :negative:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mega64 posted:

In a regular playthrough, you'd have abilities that could bypass the Knife's flee effect as well.

I'd only consider doing Brave Blade if it was a party that'd need at least three knight swords and had no abilities to bypass flee. Maybe if you're dumb enough to do Classic and get three Knights?

I'm about to go to the Rift with Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Samurai and went with Brave Blade. Had no way to mitigate the flee effect and I can use both Excal and BB no problem. The no running thing didn't bother me until the Pyramid (seriously gently caress the Pyramid) but I just ended up throwing money at everything.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Best place to farm Elixirs in W3?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Equip Axes is extremely my jam sometimes. :black101:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

First ever Fiesta done!

Was thinking up crazy strategies like farming Aegis Shields with a Thief Knife, but I just ended up using a bunch of Elixirs and throwing money at NED.

Everyone mastered everything except Samurai which only Bartz mastered. Didn't end up using all those abilities but why not? Brave Blade run so I had plenty of AP to go around.

Time to re-reg tomorrow! After having no rods or real magic users I'm thinking a 750 run will do just fine. :science:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Well, fresh off my "three beefy dudes hit things with pointy sticks... and a Geomancer" run, I thought I'd try Random:

:getin:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #2: Random - Thief / Mystic Knight / Time Mage / Ranger

Second Fiesta and first triple crown! Things were pretty slow until I got Comet. And Break Blade. Then it was cake. Quickleaked the robot and Power Staff/Mirage Vested the dragon. And boy howdy is NED a lot easier when you can Break Blade the Almagest portion. After this processes I'm gonna go 750 for real this time. :science:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Seravadon posted:

Fartz, who is still questioning why his parents would name him that, and his new team have finished run #3.

I gave Omega a few shots but he schooled me. Any suggestions or should I just move on to run #4?

If you noodle it out lemme know, just started a run with this exact team. Rod boosted -ara spells have been awesome but World 2 looms...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bufuman posted:

Taking on Omega with a Chemist team is always doable, but it takes a lot of setup. Basically, you're going to want !Mix on everyone, and they'll all need either Hermes' Sandals or Flame Rings. First priority is getting Goliath Tonic (!Drink with the Chemist and Dragon Fang + Elixir !Mix for everyone else) and Dragon's Kiss (Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss). Double HP and Heavy Status will go a long way towards surviving his nastiest attacks. After that, Resist Fire (Ether + Eye Drops) on those wearing Hermes' Sandals or Hasty-ade (Eye Drops + Turtle Shell) on those with Flame Rings. Also throw in Levisalve (Antidote + Maiden's Kiss) in case he decides to throw off an Earth Shaker. Then you'll probably want some levels, so drop a few Dragon Powers (Dragon's Fang + Potion/Hi-Potion) to boost your level. Since you need to do all of this for all four characters, it's going to take a while.

After that, start in with Succubus' Kisses (Turtle Shell + Maiden's Kiss). This should hit for 1000+ with the Chemist and even more with the other three, since I believe they all have higher Magic stats. If you really want to get fancy, you can use a Dragon Defense mix (Dragon Fang + Phoenix Down) to give someone Reflect, then bounce Thundagas off of them.

The biggest things you've got to be careful of are Wave Cannon, Mustard Bomb, and Delta Attack. Wave Cannon is dropped extremely frequently, and is half your max HP in damage. Drop everything to get them back to full ASAP. Two of his three counters are nullified by being Heavy from Dragon's Kiss, but Mustard Bomb can easily KO anyone that's weak from a Wave Cannon (and will KO from full HP if you don't use Goliath Tonics). And Delta Attack's petrify is basically the same as dying. The problem with getting either petrified or KO'd is that you'll have to reapply most of that character's buffs; Goliath Tonic and levels gained through Dragon Power will persist through death, but everything else needs to be redone. Just make sure everyone stays healthy and you'll eventually win. Maybe go grind some levels out to help survive Mustard Bombs if you're still having trouble.

Wow, awesome. Thanks. Hopefully I can pull it off after lots of Elixir and Mix farming.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bufuman posted:

I thought I was safe from Gilgabot when I got my wind job. I thought I was good no matter what I got.

I was wrong. :negative:

I think the emotes you're looking for are :getin: and :black101:, hth

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh cool it looks like he confirmed my victories there, Thanks. He's still only showing jobs for the first run though.

edit: sent him a request for a chaos run and got thief Oh boy.

After your victories are confirmed on your player page, you have to send a new tweet to register the next run. It should show up pretty quickly after that.

e;fb

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Could anyone suggest a really good walkthrough? I'm looking for something that will tell me about rare steals in the area I'm in.

I use the FFV Advance gamefaq by Djibriel for pretty much every playthrough, it has steals, drops, pointers, etc for every area.

E: also use Mega64's boss guide, he's linked to it a bunch of times in the thread.

Bregor fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 14, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH gently caress YOU ROBOT

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I dunno why, but this cracks me up every time. :allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #3: Team 750 - Black Mage / Red Mage / Geomancer / Chemist

Third run, second triple crown. Chemist is so loving broken. But then again so is Omega so gently caress that robot. Between !Mix and !Dualcasted Flare, the endgame was a cinch.

Surprisingly enough, Rodz and his team never broke a rod. :v:

Might do another Random run, I think I like mixing physical and mage jobs best.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Why couldn't the Monk and White Mage be switched? :negative:

E: It's the little things in life.

Bregor fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 16, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

What's the usual procedure for getting a new job with the job fair? I've tweeted and donated, but I wasn't certain if I should send some sort of link with it or a picture of my email receipt.

I'm not sure but you can always check your player page at the official site, or tweet Gilgabot with #myjobs

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Idioteque Dance posted:

But now I'm about to go into the pyramid and I'm out of Turtle Shells, will I be able to farm some soon? I'm not too worried since I know I can just use Requiem on everything in the pyramid for the time being.

Just get through the Pyramid and Melusine, and get the airship. Based on this map: http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/finalworld.php fly to F6 and walk around in the grassland. You'll find plenty of Grass Tortoises.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

White Mage / Black Mage / Ninja / Monk

Just downed Shinryu, and thinking Omega is nigh impossible. Can avoid Rocket Punch on WHM and BLM with Lamia's Tiaras, and NIN or MNK with Bone Mail (I'm not rare stealing a 2nd one with the Thief Knife). Flame Rings on everyone will help. Otherwise I just have to get extraordinarily lucky right? Or should I even bother?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Yeah I tried it a bunch of times and gave up.

And with that...

Run #4: Random - White Mage / Black Mage / Ninja / Monk

Meh. It wasn't a hard Fiesta run, but it wasn't terribly exciting either. Actually this may have been the biggest roadblock. Monk was a drag, especially considering it was my Earth Crystal job. Eventually just gave him !White and used him as a healbot.

So.. the jobs I haven't had yet are Blue Mage, Summoner, Beastmaster, Bard, Dancer, and Dragoon. A run with four of those would be pretty sweet IMO. Gonna take a little break and probably re-reg next week.

EDIT: Thanks to the advice of derra this run is a triple crown too! :woop:

Bregor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 22, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

derra posted:

Can't you reflect 3 people and cast Thundagas to avoid Rocket Punch alltogether? Should do good damage so you wouldn't have to survive that long. I'd wear Hermes instead of Reflect rings, in the first couple of turns concentrate on putting up some reflects / healing with elixirs then burst him down once set up?

Yeah I put up Reflect for bouncing Thundagas, but I was just getting too many Mustard Bombs and Encircles to really make much headway. I'd rather just process this team and move on.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

derra posted:

Oh I hear you, I know I'm more stubborn on this than most. It was my understanding that if you only cast 3 reflects, so one of your characters gets hit, he doesn't counter at all, so you take out mustard bomb &encircle completely.

:aaaaa:

Just tried it and you're right. Gonna give it the old college try.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

gently caress YEAH GOT EM

Not having to deal with the counters is really helpful!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Just re-rolled a normal run. Knight / Zerker / Beastmaster / Chemist.

KNI/ZERK was the same as my first run, so I know this owns bones. First time using BST though so I'm excited to try it out.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Beastmaster is a lot of fun!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:swoon: Beastmaster! :swoon:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I laugh. Every. Time. :keke:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #5: Normal - Knight / Berserker / Beastmaster / Chemist

Fifth win and fourth triple crown. When I saw Beastmaster I knew I could do it all, but Chemist just made the whole thing cake. Not much to say other than I do NOT want to do another Brave Blade run again, ever. The Forest of Moore / Meatfort / Pyramid sequence almost broke me.

Four of the five jobs I haven't had yet are 750 jobs, so I think I'll roll that again next time.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Just rolled another 750: Black / Red / Bard / Chemist

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=BregorSA

Enough with the Chemists, Gilgabot :colbert:

Thinking about Job Fairing Red into Summoner to eliminate two jobs I haven't had yet. But I don't want to pop my Job Fair cherry with such an easy team. Ah well, guess I'll stick with it.

e: Eh gently caress it, it's way too similar to my last 750 run. Job Fair GET

Bregor fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 1, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Two of the hardest fights I've had for FJF were Garula vs 4 Thieves and Garula vs 4 White Mages.

gently caress Garula.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Every now and then I think to myself I should try out one of the riskier runs like Random or Chaos but then I read about some poor schmuck getting stuck with four Geomancers for the entire game and change my mind.

Vanilla, please.

Random doesn't have repeat jobs and doesn't require the mod. It's fun and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FrancoFish posted:

At Karnak, sitting on Knight and Time Mage right now. I'm farming dogs for rods before I move on. Should I go ahead and bite the bullet and get 99 of each?

Oh good lord no. Get your Knights two-handed, hold down A, and you're done with World 1. Get a few Frost Rods if you're worried about Liquid Flame.

• Locked thread