Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Poque posted:

You should be fine splitting it up as Blue/Zerk and White/Summoner. !Blue isn't affected by silence so I'm wondering if it will be allowed in the physical side of the tower - worst case scenario, slap on some Hermes Sandals and just make them a potion/elixir bot. White/Summoner will wreck Omni especially if they have Reflect.

Good advice, although Mute meant I was stabbing Minitaurus with the Assassin's Dagger with my blue mage. I'm glad I did put Equip Axes on her, it wound up with no one taking any damage in the fight.

Omnipotent did hit someone, but only because I forgot that Reflect wears off really fast.

Overall, the fights went a lot easier than I expected them to, what with everyone talking about running Omnipotent out of MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

you only need to run omni out of mp if you a) don't have any magic damage or mystic knight and b) don't have any good physical burst damage. if you've got magic/MK he's a joke and if you've got good phys damage (zeninage, rapidfire, sword dance) you can have someone reflect mage masher silence onto him a few times or wait for him to stop/silence himself off your reflect rings and then use that window to hit him with whatever. reason that's a burst thing is that stop and silence only last for a couple of ATB ticks so you don't get a lot of time to beat on him

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also if you actually do need to run him out of mp you can use the mage masher trick to buy a second to throw an ether at him. that'll lower his mp to 9999 (reason why's a weird game check, don't question it) so you've only got to wait out 10k instead of 30k. not sure if that works on mobile or not

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
And there we go, first triple crown ever on my third run. Samurai is ridiculous and Chemist makes them totally broken. But I don't really like Chemist that much. You are invincible and can kill anything, but it's boring. I feel bad for all the turtles I've killed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, hit a road block with the Exdeath fight with Bard, Monk, Red Mage, and Dragoon. Just can't keep up with healing with Earthquake and Zombie Breath. Right now I have reflect rings on everyone since Cura is so wimpy that I am better off with Hi-Potions while avoiding his elemental spells, but man it jusst a pain. If I could get Swift Song going I could out pace him, but Earthshaker and Zombie Breath seem to happen back to back and wipes the party.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Rirse posted:

Ugh, hit a road block with the Exdeath fight with Bard, Monk, Red Mage, and Dragoon. Just can't keep up with healing with Earthquake and Zombie Breath. Right now I have reflect rings on everyone since Cura is so wimpy that I am better off with Hi-Potions while avoiding his elemental spells, but man it jusst a pain. If I could get Swift Song going I could out pace him, but Earthshaker and Zombie Breath seem to happen back to back and wipes the party.

Maybe try to Old him with the Ancient Sword?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OzFactor posted:

Maybe try to Old him with the Ancient Sword?

Crap, I sold it already.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm still not sure if we've ever confirmed whether or not having two (or more) people singing Swift Song makes it faster, but that's what I've done with two Bard parties for him. I think you're just getting unlucky with getting back-to-back full-party attacks.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

OzFactor posted:

I'm still not sure if we've ever confirmed whether or not having two (or more) people singing Swift Song makes it faster, but that's what I've done with two Bard parties for him. I think you're just getting unlucky with getting back-to-back full-party attacks.

Pretty sure that swiftsong still proceeds with a character's normal turns like a berserker does and then each time their turn comes up they cast a spell that increases everyone's speed by 1

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

zolthorg posted:

Pretty sure that swiftsong still proceeds with a character's normal turns like a berserker does and then each time their turn comes up they cast a spell that increases everyone's speed by 1

That is correct. Two Swift Songs running concurrently does work and actually gets you to 99 Agility considerably faster than one singer alone.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Oh, right, I know your problem: the reflect rings are making him go down to his second script. If you don't damage him at all, he'll only fight and cast single-target spells. So maybe just reflect rings for the people who can't take one of those (your Bard and RM probably). Then you can get some singing done.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

Oh, right, I know your problem: the reflect rings are making him go down to his second script. If you don't damage him at all, he'll only fight and cast single-target spells. So maybe just reflect rings for the people who can't take one of those (your Bard and RM probably). Then you can get some singing done.

That's HP based, not anything else-based. He goes into that script under 16k HP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you don't mind backtracking, you could go back to Drakenvale and find a Poison Eagle, then give it an Ether and confuse it with the Red Mage until it casts Float on the party. Of course, there's also a move that nullifies Float but it only has a 1/3 chance of popping up. Earth Shaker and Zombie Breath each have a 1/3 chance of not showing up as well in their spot in his attack rotation, so you can keep trying and hope to get lucky with one of those not going off.

OzFactor posted:

Every time a singing person gets a "turn," the stat goes up by one for the party. So two would speed things up a good bit and make you be able to run circles around Exdeath more quickly.

e: Beaten on second part.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

That's HP based, not anything else-based. He goes into that script under 16k HP.

Yeah, I mean that the spells getting reflected back at him are dropping him down to that level.

Good to know I'm not crazy about singing so much!

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

So I signed up for another run because FF14's queue timer was getting kinda long.

Blue Mage/Bard/Samurai/Dragoon. 4 out of 5 of my runs have Dragoons. My only hell is getting Mighty Guard/White Wind.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Natalya Fartz posted:

So I signed up for another run because FF14's queue timer was getting kinda long.

Blue Mage/Bard/Samurai/Dragoon. 4 out of 5 of my runs have Dragoons. My only hell is getting Mighty Guard/White Wind.

Bard can confuse so you can actually get early White Wind.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Natalya Fartz posted:

You don't get to talk about the hell of getting support Blue spells until you swap that Bard with a Berserker. :v:

Seriously, for my first ever Fiesta run I had to rely on Tempting Tango procs from the Dancing Dagger. It was not very fun.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally beat him managing to get him into his second phase quickly by breaking the two Staff of Lights that the Metamorpha dropped. Well that and getting so fast he couldn't keep up with the party.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Mega64 posted:

Bard can confuse so you can actually get early White Wind.

Oh yea, glad I had a save from back there cause I completely forgot. Guess its really time to sleepwalk through this game.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Tempest_56 posted:

- Red Mage was a complete waste of space. The various -ara spells, even doubled up, were barely worth the time of using in most cases. !Doublecast mostly functioned for Raise+Cura and once or twice spamming Protect to get it out faster. By endgame, it was designated Hi-Potion/Exilir slinger. The lack of any sort of real magic damage (or healing or most of the status effects or...) made a lot of easier opponents much, much tougher.

Raise+Cura never worked for me because the raise effect wouldn't apply until after the dualcast action was over, meaning the cura was wasted.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Leofish posted:

Raise+Cura never worked for me because the raise effect wouldn't apply until after the dualcast action was over, meaning the cura was wasted.

GBA version? 'Cause I just re-tested it to make sure I wasn't imagining things and it absolutely works. The person you're Raising doesn't stand up first, but the heal definitely applies.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I think I hosed up a bit - got Red Mage as my final job, but I didnt think to buy the lvl1-3 black magic spells (aside from Toad) from the towns before going on and progressing the story. Now the magic shop seems to only sell level 4 magic?

Can I get these later in this world or did I just miss out? I guess at this point the lvl 1-3 spells are worth less anyways.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

I think I hosed up a bit - got Red Mage as my final job, but I didnt think to buy the lvl1-3 black magic spells (aside from Toad) from the towns before going on and progressing the story. Now the magic shop seems to only sell level 4 magic?

Can I get these later in this world or did I just miss out? I guess at this point the lvl 1-3 spells are worth less anyways.

You will still run into towns later in world 3 that sell the old spells as they never change their stock.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Zerk/WM/Ninja/Beastmaster just beat Pyramid.

Is there anything aside from Holy in Fork Tower that I really need to get that involves dungeons? I'm gonna get Hermes Sandals & Chicken Knife from Phantom, but other than that, do I really need to get more than just the first three sealed weapons?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Woo! My first triple crown with Thief / Mystic Knight / Bard / White Mage. Boy, Bard trivializes the NED fight (and Omega, of course).

That wasn't the most random of random attempts, but I'm definitely moving to Chaos next. And maybe I'll try out the Android port.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Capsaicin posted:

Zerk/WM/Ninja/Beastmaster just beat Pyramid.

Is there anything aside from Holy in Fork Tower that I really need to get that involves dungeons? I'm gonna get Hermes Sandals & Chicken Knife from Phantom, but other than that, do I really need to get more than just the first three sealed weapons?
I always grab the Beast Killer whip in the Island Shrine, but you have to go through there before Fork Tower anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You know, I wouldn't mind the Undersea Trench with a bard if it didn't have those damage tiles. Probably the most low effort place to grind by just just running down the hallway with cursor to remember playing the Requiem song.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Bard/Beastmaster/Chemist/Chemist and oh my god world 2 was so easy. I never imagined Atomos, Crystals and Exdeath fights being so trivial. I've beaten the game a couple of times before but never gotten into utilising Chemist properly before.

But now I'm about to go into the pyramid and I'm out of Turtle Shells, will I be able to farm some soon? I'm not too worried since I know I can just use Requiem on everything in the pyramid for the time being.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Thanks for the help on the guardian crystals, ugh.

NED fell pretty hard to my Thief / Blue Mage / MK / Dancer party.

Necrophobe sure isn't very hard with a liberal application of silent spellsword.

Re-upped with #RegChaos, got Black Mage / Red Mage / Ranger / Samurai. I've never had those first three in a Fiesta, time to start paying attention to bows I guess.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Idioteque Dance posted:

But now I'm about to go into the pyramid and I'm out of Turtle Shells, will I be able to farm some soon? I'm not too worried since I know I can just use Requiem on everything in the pyramid for the time being.

Just get through the Pyramid and Melusine, and get the airship. Based on this map: http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/finalworld.php fly to F6 and walk around in the grassland. You'll find plenty of Grass Tortoises.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Does White Mage - Blue Mage - Ninja - Samurai have a good way to take on Omega? About the only thing I can think of is using Lightning scrolls or Self Destruct and Arise a whole bunch. :black101:

Would it pretty much just be me praying not to be encircled?

Sax Solo posted:

Thanks for the help on the guardian crystals, ugh.

NED fell pretty hard to my Thief / Blue Mage / MK / Dancer party.

Necrophobe sure isn't very hard with a liberal application of silent spellsword.

Re-upped with #RegChaos, got Black Mage / Red Mage / Ranger / Samurai. I've never had those first three in a Fiesta, time to start paying attention to bows I guess.

This is the exact team a friend of mine got for his very first playthrough of FFV. I pledged to donate if he beat the game. Enjoy Rapid Fire and dual cast!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Seravadon posted:

Does White Mage - Blue Mage - Ninja - Samurai have a good way to take on Omega? About the only thing I can think of is using Lightning scrolls or Self Destruct and Arise a whole bunch. :black101:

That's really about it, yeah. It is not a lineup I would bother with trying Omega with, but I am also the sort that is like "if I can't beat it easily, then meh, next run".

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That's really about it, yeah. It is not a lineup I would bother with trying Omega with, but I am also the sort that is like "if I can't beat it easily, then meh, next run".

"Meh" is a philosophy I can get behind!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Seravadon posted:

This is the exact team a friend of mine got for his very first playthrough of FFV. I pledged to donate if he beat the game. Enjoy Rapid Fire and dual cast!

You're kinda boned against Omega. At least you can take on Shinryu really easily.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Speaking of which!

Run #6 finished.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hmm, three days and RK still hasn't processed my job fair changes. I tweeted at him again so hopefully it'll go through this time. If he doesn't end up doing it and I finish this run quickly, I might end up going with the original run I was given, since Thief/MKnight/Geo/Dancer sounds like a lot of fun without a lot of grinding...especially the MKnight/Dancer combo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Did you include a note on your donation that it was for your job fair?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

Did you include a note on your donation that it was for your job fair?

On the donation itself no (I don't remember what I put) but I used the form on the website to design a tweet about it and included a screenshot of the donation page with my username. If I need to make another donation that's fine.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh, if you deviated from normal (and/or included anything else in the tweet) that's probably why.

Poke RK directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Run #7 is off to a good start!

• Locked thread