Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Regular updates should be resuming soon. Hopefully. Got a bit more time to work on those, and managed to record the next update. Just warning that there's gonna be another delay coming up once we get to the 11th floor. Not because of real life stuff or anything, but because I'm gonna have to do a lot of writeups about something once we get to a certain point, and I have no idea when I'm gonna finish THAT.

Good to hear. Been playing along with this one since I had a cart I'd never opened. Only game in the series I've missed, shame since it seems like a really good one. Looking forward to see how the hell they're going to balance me having access to 1TP dark ether and a bunch of skills that seem like they're only balanced by having a high TP cost like front mortar.

Thanks for putting the effort in, really enjoy your LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Dem Tusks on the Elephants. And at least the Hot Springs in this game make sense...

Also, the heck is Piscine?

Wild guess but I'm gonna guess it's the latin-y way of saying fish-like, like vulpine and foxes?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Grashbar posted:

Fetus' Choice. Let's not make the post-game painful for him.

1 second edit: maybe I should have refreshed before "voting".

Oh it's going to be painful, EO3 is right up with EO1 when it comes to a bullshit postgame.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Not really? It doesn't even have a half-decent teleporter maze.

You can get around a teleporter maze with creative mapping, not so much with the sixth stratum gimmicks.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 19, 2017

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Well guess I'm in a bit of a minority, I could hardly tell where I was going in it half the time. True on the random encounters though, though if you give them half a chance they'll still mess you up in a hurry.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Are you going to be bringing out Warrior Might for the postgame?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I'll go Alice, Asteria, Charlotte

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I'd rather go through that fight with 4 farmers than try to get that condition legit. You just know the one turn she's cursed for she'll throw out a status move or a melee attack and only take like 50 curse damage too.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually I found out that the Farmers do attack under one condition. Turns out when Scylla is really low on health (like 2% remaining), they will try to kill steal from you! So much for that plan! :suicide:

Ugh, I think I'll just try to go for this later. This is far too frustrating and I'm really starting to get burnt out on this LP by trying to go for the drop. Screw Curse damage conditionals forever.

Oh that's just icing on the cake. We're not going to be mad at you for using formaldehyde or saving the conditional for when you can farm formaldehydes, that's just giving an accurate representation of how everyone actually plays the game.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Omobono posted:

Seriously, I get the feeling that curse conditionals are there because having no condition conditionals would break the code in novel and interesting ways, so they went for the next best worst thing.

They're probably just there to punish using formaldehyde out of laziness, I genuinely believe using formaldehyde is the intended way to get them.

Edit - reading back through your post you said the exact same thing. Read "condition" as "status effect" for some dumb reason.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 21, 2017

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

You crazy bastard, good job mate.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
When were curse conditions introduced? I know EOU has them but I'm pretty sure EO1 doesn't, EO2 I just don't have that much experience with.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Crystalgate posted:

If the Pale Horse are about safety first, they should all be hoplites and monks. Personally, I find the image of a guild that has ridiculous defense, but almost no fire power and therefore really slowly whittles their enemies down more amusing than a guild that uses nothing but farmers just because.

There are punch monks and spear hoplites, farmers are exclusively defensive.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Exclusively defensive doesn't necessarily mean they're good at being defensive.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Well EO1 had conditional drops for poison and instant death at least so I don't see why they couldn't have put curse in, maybe they just couldn't justify really bullshit conditionals without adding formaldehyde.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Rawkking posted:

Three disablers in place of damage mitigation/healing and 2 dedicated damage dealers is something you don't see a lot in the early etrian odyssey games (4 + 5 seem to make disablers pretty viable). This is gonna be cool to watch.

I'm guessing Fang's role in things at this point involves being an item healer. His animals aren't as good as Alice's or Akatsuki's clones.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
It's ultimate equipment time.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

werbear posted:

Someone on the development team must have suddenly remembered that Etrian Odyssey is inspired by Wizardry so the quota of annoying hazards you can not see had to be met...

It's very similar to the Claret Hollows in that as bad as each floor is the next one is worse.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Anti-votes are undemocratic! Alice, Alice, Fang

Although clearly the best way to showcase Akatsuki is with an empty slot in the party, feel free to replace my votes with literally nothing.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 24, 2017

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

I probably shouldn't have taken those precautions. :catstare:

What were you worried about? I couldn't see any major problems with it.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Charlotte, Scott, Sidney

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Looks like the party is gonna be Cassandra, Sidney, Scott, Faye, and Asteria...

At least I have Hellfire! :suicide:

Oh you're fine!

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Eh it's just another condition that's basically "You must use formaldehyde". I forget how easy it is to farm up in EO3 though.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

vdate posted:

EO5 LPs

Thanks for spoiling a game that isn't even released yet dickhead.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
More relevantly, that spinner maze is the most cruel design of the series to me. Teleport mazes even in EO1 you could draw in walls or some other bits of creative mapping to mark the right path. EO3 takes those tools away from you and if you stop paying attention and you step on a spinner you're hosed.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Scott can use Hanging for all your binding needs! :v:

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah I wouldn't try to ruin the last boss that's remotely fun in the game for you.

I'd quite like to see Warrior Might demonstrated. Sea quests are far from ideal for using it so I've never tried myself, interested seeing how it compares.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 6, 2017

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Omobono posted:

Who thought that NPC lineup was a good idea?

Probably the same person who balanced the rest of EO3.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I must be forgetting it, I can't remember any extremely long EO3 boss fights. Then again I just slapped gladiator on everything since experience from SMT tells me charge skills are good.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I assure you it is foreboding.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Electric chair is news to me as well.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Goddamn I'm going to have to give that method a go. Normally I just go with the tagen bataou method but some variety never hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Don't let Abyssal God put you off the game. EO3 is fantastic, it has flaws but every EO does and 3's are the least damning of any of the DS games. It's only the 6th stratum where it goes into bullshit design and even then it's mainly in the last half of the stratum.

• Locked thread