Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LP'ers Choice. Good god please LP'ers choice.
P-H/A-N-Z is a drat solid choice, not very interesting though, recommend you switch it up come 3rd stratum.

Ren, Ninja Normal 2
Lazy and easy going, but ironically a bit of an acerbic chatterbox. She's always there with a riposte, verbal or physical.
Lays down burns like no person can with a tongue sharper than blades.
Minimal physical effort is her forte.

So yeah mechanical talk:
Some classes don't even come close to being good during the first stratum. Some need a lot of skill point investment to become really effective (looking at you buccaneer, zodiac, WILDLING) so there is definitely an optimal party(ies) for the first and second stratums, but after that point it just becomes a free for all, whatever you can make work will work, and with great effect too.

I'm looking forward to how you'll break the game.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr. Fetus posted:

While I appreciate your enthusiasm:

The new character rules make it crazy already, and it's already hard to choose between a lot of the characters here.

Well reading was never my strong point.
I Edited out two characters.

(Also you guys voting farmers AND democracy...:argh:)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm interested in this LP if only to show me how to get to the point where I do the really broken stuff.

It's when you go all Ahab.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MightyPretenders posted:

I take it the max guild size is 25? I can't think what you need all those Ninjas for...

QoL.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spielmeister posted:

Where did you find that out? The game only only refers to her as the "girl from the shop" or "the shopkeeper."

I'm interested in seeing how you utilize Akatsuki since I ran with a Gladiator and a Buccaneer instead of a Ninja and Zodiac when I played the first few strata. In retrospect using a Zodiac instead of a Buc would have made things a bit easier in my game since the damage would have been higher and more consistent.

Well a gladiator is a physical Zodiac. And yeah a buc is completely useless on the first and second strati, they need a lot of skill points to actually do useful things.
But at least a Buccaneer doesnt have to rely on TP as much as a Zodiac to at least deal acceptable damage.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Meow.

RareAcumen posted:

You guys have no idea how refreshing it is to actually know what people are alluding to when they phrase their posts like this.

This feeling is so great :allears:.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

To be honest you could do worse than the Democracy party.
That arbalist couldve been a Prince.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think you might be belittling Royal lineage a bit.
it really lets me use buffs whenever I want, and get random battles done that much faster and with much less resource spending.

^Also yeah confirming that that is a typo and not just a temporary bug.
just opened the game up to check.

Weird.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 21, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Old Greg posted:

It may have been my slacking on picking up conditional item drops, but the main reason I wanted to go club gladiator is because until late into Stratum 3, I either unlocked a fuckoff damage club early in the stratum that swords never touched, or unlocked a sword to finally compete with my current club (literally a few points up in attack) juuuust to unlock a +35 attack club on my next spelunking trip. Also used clubs could go on my monk for finishing weak mobs :negative:

(Now almost done in Stratum Four, I've unlocked the ultimate sword skill and BOY DO I HAVE NO MORE REGRETS ABOUT SWORDS. To discuss more would be a bit too spoilerish, even talking vaguely, but I'm loving dungeon life right now.)

(It's not a spoiler to say that you can get an OP crutch weapon early in an etrian game right?)
Yeah that early club sorta becomes a crutch.
I ditched it (along with my glad) for added survivability and never looked back.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Levelling refresh this early?
Good players don't even allow statuses to happen :smug:.

But really are you gonna do the thing super early?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Taniyn only retaliates if you spear it while on it's tail.
If you look in the map the Taniyn actually occupies a 2x2 square and has a facing, and as long as you are in the front two you'll never get whacked.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh, oh wow.
I've downed a shitload of Tanniyns and they've only ever hit me while I'm on the tail.
It made sense and never happened to me so I assumed it was right.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pollux's records is damned good and no serious competetion comes along until the end of the fourth stratum of all places.

And Sea Quests! Hella inconsistent early on since you have AI partners. I just wanna take my entire party, some of these bosses could be chumped so hard.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The second strat will probably be your hardest to get through. At least you have elemental coverage in your Arbalist and Hoplite.
But be done with that and it's smooth sailing.

Because Democracy only happens every term.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Who did you equip the limits to?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rangpur posted:

Are the enemies dying before you do? Then you are doing enough damage.

Actually its like it always is: are you spending inordinate resources just to clear an encounter?

You can be nigh-on invincible to enemies but if you cherry-tap them to death expect some bosses and FOEs to straight murder you becauee you took too long.
And if every battle is more or less phyrric then you are the one getting cherry tapped to death.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hivac posted:

In this particular game this could vary greatly depending on your class choices and overall party setup.

Yeah but there is a difference in wasting tons of TP on randoms just so they die before you and wasting it all on a boss/FOE.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well losing Sidney is sort of a bad idea since he provides about half the damage of the party.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sydney, Asteria, Rose

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Death Dealer posted:

Scott, MEGAQUEEN, Akatsuki

This LP inspired me to start EO3 back up with a different party style since my original setup was ENTIRELY too defensive (Monk/Princess/Hoplite/Zodiac/Farmer) which makes fights take drat near an eternity, though it does technically work. I know what I was thinking when I went with it, since my Monk was half weak-beatstick/half-healer but like has been mentioned - that really does not work all that well.

Oh man how far did you get?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kemix posted:

Yea, it was a recent finding honestly. *proceeds to name all his Farmers Farmbot1 through Farmbot5 and his extra ninjas Ninbot1 through five*

: I AM FARMBOT, PLEASE INSERT GIR- PITCHFORK

Named my Ninbots Ashigaru1 thru 5.
I think that's perfect.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I'm disappointed that you're not using this notorious boozer for Toma:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The kid must write about the hot booded passion that exists in his eternally burning soul.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr. Fetus posted:

You people are gonna try to shove Alice into every party, aren't you?

I told you but you didnt listen :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Or Or Or you could replace a Farmer with literally any other class and things will be better.
You could even double up on a class, that's cool. You people with that drat insistence on farmers are just cruel and insane.

Farmer is a trash mule class with trash mule skills.

They're not even the best at their own drat job.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ad Nihilate the fucker

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr. Fetus posted:

To the people who voted for Alice:

I am content with only silence on my part.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nah I did it at similar levels.
Granted I had my team geared for never die: the Ad Nihilation since I completely skipped monarch march.

(I didnt find out about the Etheric Charge > Limit combo till the third strat. And boy did that lead to some wonderful things. :getin:)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo, Red Iron Chips! I remember where you get those now, it's so good! You're actually going to be able to make use of those rapiers at a decent time!

Which could be from the first encounter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A solo farmer run is just tedium.
Infact solo runs are probably the easiest challenge to do since you only ever account for the well being and effectiveness of one character rather than a full complement.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Time to break this game in two :getin:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Keep the secret.

Implied :ese:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, I don't know why you all are opting to make a promise with a serial killing robot that has tried to kill our guild several times. But I guess we're going to lie to the Senatus. I'm sure that will go over well.

Because of...You know...The Implication.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I am....disappointed :colbert:.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Junpei Hyde posted:

Buccaneer/Gladiator is an unholy monstrosity of a broken combo and I can't wait to see it shown off :allears:

Kneel before Zod/Gla

:unsmigghh: x1000000
Pending correct conditions.

Also Nin/Prin is always wonderful.
Still though the most effective subclass for Ninjas is...quite the treat.
Ninja itself is the best subclass

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 20, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mechanically, EO4 actually takes a lot from EO3. I checked for myself, and it turns out that EO4 actually uses the exact same formulas EO3 did, fixing any bugs or oddities they had. Well I'm not too sure about Burst gain or the escape rates, but everything else is the same. I don't think this applies to Untold. It definitely doesn't apply to EO2U.

And yeah, the Gladiator subclass is why charge skills got a massive nerf in the later games. They either increase your damage output slightly (as in like by 10%), serve as a way to conserve TP, or decrease your damage output for other benefits, like increased accuracy.

But Imperials exist.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

alcharagia posted:

Being an unlockable class doesn't necessarily make it good. Beasts were awful in EO2. I betcha Farmer/Class 11 is somehow gonna turn out to be the worst possible option.

I think there's a fair 50/50 chance of it being crap.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

quote:

She currently does not have a subclass. Mainly because most of them really don't do anything for her.

Bbb-but the free 5 skill points!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Armoroad
Especially if you use the alt-portrait 3 Shogun.

[E]: PSHHHHHHH rear dignity.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Asteria, Cassandra, Scott

• Locked thread