Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

This is going to be fantastic! And hopefully I can provide some :eng101: about stuff in this game (I might not know as much about it, depending on the overall subject matter.)

Character time:

Miya, Ninja, Portrait 4 (Alt)

Miya is friendly, outgoing, and talkative - which are three bad traits for a ninja. She tries her hardest, but she's actually really bad at the whole 'being a silent assassin' thing. Everyone back home wasn't very talkative (that's what you get when you grow up in a household where being a ninja is the family business) so she got into the habit of talking to her duplicate. And she doesn't just talk to the duplicate when she's alone, unfortunately.

Other than that, though, she's a very sweet girl. She's new to the adventure business, and this is her first outing without a family member with her. So of course somehow she got lost... She was supposed to go infiltrate some place called Laagard, wasn't she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

:eng101:

So, I was a little curious - usually, the weirder names have a reason for being chosen. Turns out, Meregho Saeno is a bastardization/romanization of "mərəγō Saēnō" (lit. "the bird Saeno") from an ancient Iranian language. Now, this might not seem very important, but after a few more langauges we end up with Simurgh. Yep, the bird that holds a lot of knowledge, the one that's seen the universe die and be reborn three times. That Simurgh. And the game's depiction of it is pretty accurate, from what I can tell. The Simurgh, like a lot of other creatures, has a few parallels in other cultures - notably, Ziz, a giant bird from Jewish mythology big enough to blot out the sun with its wingspan. Ziz (sky) is supposed to be the one watching over Behemoth (land) and Leviathan (sea); and if that sounds remarkably familiar you've probably played Pokemon Emerald or one of the remakes. Or read Worm which is a pretty good read that I recommend.

While the Simurgh in mythology is usually benevolent, this one, not so much.

Edit: Also, Castor and Pollux the Heavenly Twins, but that one's a pretty famous reference so whatever you all probably know it.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 27, 2015

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Alice, MEGAQUEEN Susan, and Rose.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

PFlats posted:

She's been the star of the LP so far. She's really ice; her magic is really lightning the load of the rest of the party.

That first one took me a second to figure out. Kudos to you, sir, you're on fire today.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Lame fish pun.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

He should write about his family.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How many times are we talking to the male twin and how many times are we talking to the female twin? :psyduck:

loving hell, Johan! Get the hell out of my game.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

HR12345 posted:

Was I the only one thinking that when you had Scott singing a shanty, I thought Assassin's Creed IV?

Nope. I was kinda hoping that's where it was going, with the characters just randomly breaking into a rousing rendition of "Drunkin' Sailor".

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Oh god why does that lore say Cthulhu lives under the sea? That's terrifying.

And I hope we get to kill it :black101:

E: Alice, 2x Dr. Fetus's choice because while I'm mean, I'm not that mean.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Well fine, Fetus, see if I give you votes again :colbert: Alice is going to be sitting in a corner and crying because of you, you heartless jerk.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

There's not too much of a story behind here anyway. Ariadne was the one who gave the Greek hero Theseus a ball of thread to help him find his way back out of the Minotaur's labyrinth after killing the monster. It's one of the more well-known Greek myths, isn't it?

Yeah. It's one of the more famous ones, which is why (like Castor and Pollux) I haven't brought it up yet.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Asteria, 2x Dr. Fetus choice. I happen to like Asteria, if only because of the terrible, horrible, wonderful puns.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Man Hypatia why you gotta be so blue :(

I'm a terrible person and regret nothing

Also, the game's being pretty nice so far. Either Dr. Fetus is pretty good at this game or it's a little more forgiving than EO2. Or both, both is an option too.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Destroy them completely. Quests for the quest throne!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Alice, Asteria, and Dr. Fetus's choice.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

In that case, maybe we can finally get a complete LP of EO1 :v:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

...Man, the universe hates you.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Lie like a dog. He doesn't really need to know, and besides, we already said we wouldn't tell him. And Tidehunt isn't the type of guild to go back on their word, right?

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome back.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Goons, I hope you're very happy. You got a poor kid murdered and traumatized the poor girl. Again.

You monsters.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

They want to keep everyone out because they're planning a bitchin' surprise party for us.

In her house at R'lyeh the Deep City, dead Cthulhu Olympia waits dreaming preparing a kickass cake for us.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

3x Fetus choice because :effort:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

Scott to take Ketos's Oceanmaster title, Fang to catch Ketos like a Pokemon, and MEGAQUEEN because MEGAQUEEN.

This is a good idea.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

:eng101:

Ketus is the ancient Greek word (latinized as cetus, for those wondering) for a large fish, whale, shark, or other nasty beasties of the sea. Fun fact, the term cetacean derives from cetus, and there's also a constellation named Cetus. As for its mythological links, the Cetus is the sea monster sent by Poseidon to gently caress up Ethiopia when Cassiopeia bragged about her daughter Andromeda being more beautiful than Nereids. This is the whole Perseus legend, if y'all aren't aware - Andromeda gets chained to a rock as a sacrifice, the sea monster shows up, and then Perseus saves the day by either stabbing his sword into Cetus's back or using Medusa's head to turn it into stone.

Interestingly, Cetus is(/was? I don't know much about maritime traditions) used as a ship's name to show that a ship is unafraid of the sea. Seeing one of the cetus monsters while out at sea, though, is a bad thing. Apparently while aboard ship it was as taboo a subject as speaking the name of the Scottish Play is in any production involving it. Kinda neat, really.

Edit: Oh hey robots, that's pretty neat. I'm glad we're not telling the Senatus, they're kinda jerks.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Yeah, remember what happened last time we broke a (almost-kinda-sorta-)promise? You monsters.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Princess. Because little Alice being a princess would be hilarious in good ways.

Also:

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm a pretty little princess! Ugh, what am I saying?

This was fantastic :allears: I wish for more of Faye randomly saying things like this anytime she uses a Princess skill.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

It's really neat, actually. A lot of the Zodiac skills revolve around terminology from both astronomy and astrology; the astrology ones are a little more obvious (c'mon, Horoscope is like saying 'hey, Zodiac signs are a thing'). I especially like Binary Fire/Ice/Lighting; a binary system is two stars - usually, though occasionally it can be other things like planets or galaxies - that revolve around each other, so those attacks being the AoE is a nice little touch.

Basically, whoever did the skill name translating should have been paid more.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Given how often they translate skill effects completely wrong, they really shouldn't be.

Name, not details. The name guys are great, everyone else is terrible.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

I think the devs might have used the wrong operator for poison. Multiplying by a random number one to ten would make (aside from Poison Gas, which makes the theory less likely) poison somewhat useful.

Or, maybe it just sucks and was designed to suck. Who knows.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

We haven't seen Akatsuki and Alice lately, have we?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Akatsuki, HRH MEGAQUEEN, and Alice.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

I was going to have it be Fetus's choice, but then I realized that was just voting for Armoroad anyway. Even if I really want to ally with the Deep City because the Senate seems like it's full of pricks.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Alice, Fang, Akatsuki

I'm with Hivac in being very, very rude.

Sure, this is a good enough reason for me.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Well poo poo, that was brutal and fast.

I like the mental image of Alice trying desperately to put it to sleep. The "PTOO!" sold it :3:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

I'm just hoping that the absurdly happy picture wins, because

alcharagia posted:

Something beautiful

...well, gently caress. That's fantastic. Don't get the reference, but it's still fantastic.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Argh, so close to the super-hype face too. Oh well, :golfclap: to Ragnar Homsar.

I expect a bonus update of Charlotte's journal at some point, Dr. Fetus

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

I was exploring a GameStop this afternoon (hey, Black Friday is coming up and I have cash that hasn't been spent yet.) and I saw a EOU2 box. I take a closer look at the gameplay image on the back and noticed that one of the characters was named 'Atlus'. Heh.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Charlotte, Akatsuki, Asteria.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Dear Diary... Today Tidehunt came by my house again. GAWD. Don't they get that I don't even like them?!? I had to talk to them for AAAAGES because Kingy wasn't around and it was like, they were like "what's your deal, Olympia" and I was like "I'm COMPLICATEDDDDDD." I hate it when Armonerds can't check their human privilege. It's like, "You killed the Gatekeeper, you're like, not WANTED HERE????" but instead I have to go like, "subclasses are coolio!" UUUUGH. FML. Gonna go talk to Zeus and chat about boys to get my mind off of it. -Olympia

(the is are dotted with hearts)

Brilliant.

Olympia as a valley girl posting on Tumblr is so absurd it crosses right back over into 'This fits strangely well.'

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Mercy is for those without power. Crush all who stand in Tidehunt's way!

edit: vote on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Alice, Charlotte, and Fetus' Choice.

• Locked thread