Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Cassandra, Charlotte, Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually I found out that the Farmers do attack under one condition. Turns out when Scylla is really low on health (like 2% remaining), they will try to kill steal from you! So much for that plan! :suicide:

Looks like some developer tried to create the worst possible conditional drop in the entire series - and succeeded spectecularly.

"Kill with curse damage" is the worst condition as is - but to put it in a sea quest where you have no control over some of your party members is just evil.
And then you get one variation of this quest with three members that don't attack so there is a sliver of hope... but they switch behavior when you are in range for the condition.

That's advanced saturday morning cartoon villiany. Whoever designed this condition and all around it probably started their working day by kicking some puppies.

There is no reason to play dumb games that were made just to be dumb - I am fully ok with you drowning Scylla in Formaldehyde or hammering her into the floor.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Cassandra, Alice, Sidney

How do you even pitch a tent on a ship? Does Pale Horse nail it to your deck? And wouldn't the wind and the movement due to the waves just tear it down again?
Is it a special sea tent?
Farmers and their crazy tricks, I tell you.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Dr. Fetus posted:

Alice, Smith, Sidney, Fang, and Akatsuki

This party reminds me of that shooting range scene in Men in Black.

First you have Smith - a killer robot with flaming fists bent on destroying all in his way.
But really, he is just a janitor-bot with a minor heat-sink problem.

Next there is Fang - a savage from the jungle commanding giant snakes and (as we have learned in EO2U) carnivorous elephants.
But really, he is just a nice guy that likes animals. And all his friends are tame and friendly, too.

Then there is Sidney - a crazy lunatic that blows up everything around him with a weapon bigger than his torso.
But really, he is just a monster hunter with a lust for dragons that sometimes gets a bit overexcited. Since Yggdrasil Labyrinths are so dangerous he is basically a hero.

And lastly there is Akatsuki - a literal assassin, trained for murder and deception from a young age.
But really, he just likes helping others and will use even his ninja arts to do use. Since they are the only thing he learned it would be a waste to not use them.

But then there is Alice.
What is this little girl doing hanging out with all these questionable figures in a dark place like the Cyclopean Haunt?
Clearly, she is the most dangerous of them all.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I'd say now is the time for those that struggle. Akatsuki, Alice and Smith will need all the help they can get, I would imagine.
And since they will most likely not play a huge part in any post-game boss fights this might be one of the last chances to show off what they got.

But those that can carry their weight easily might just be able to wait a little while.

So a mix? If that's a valid option...

werbear fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 4, 2017

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I'm surprised the Gatekeeper only has 20% resistance to confusion. My favorite tactic is to just use the Wildling's elephant to skip the Tenchi Souha Sho turn.
Disperse will still happen afterwards but I can not remember if is was on the third turn or only after the Gatekeeper snaps out of confusion.
And since the Gatekeeper that appears after Focus is a new enemy he has no accumulated resistances so confusion stays effective.

Still, 20% means I was getting pretty lucky. It always stuck before Tenchi Souha Sho came out.

Omobono posted:

Why is HP cannon so awful?
(EO2 hexers that's why)
In particular, why is it so inaccurate on top of the mediocre damage?

Bad AGI plus leg bind equals a lot of misses.
EOIII tried the whole "slow but powerful" character archetype but since AGI is a pretty bloated stat it did not work out that well.
Even with Proper Form slow characters miss just so drat often...

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Dr. Fetus posted:

I promise that this will be painless. ...Maybe.

Ha! Fat chance of that!

BOOM, BABY!

Doesn't look like she had much time to feel any pain so Akatsuki is probably correct here.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Does the Dragonfly and/or Tear Apart become stronger as people die or with the number of attacks?

Because after the back row reduction Fang actually takes about the same damage as Sidney despite Wildlings having about 25% more VIT than Arbalists.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Looking at the numbers everyone indeed took the right amount of damage - except Alice who just like that decided to take less.
But last update she took the correct amount when the Dragonfly hit her with a normal attack.

So there is only one explanation: Alice is hording a secret stash of Stonards and drinks them when no one is looking.
Constantly exploding monsters is finally taking its toll and the only way for her to cope is to take drugs.
Poor girl needs an intervention.

The only actual explanation I could think of is that Farmer's might be hard coded to take less damage from area attacks.
They are aweful at taking hits and as opposed to Arbalists or Shoguns they are not really worth protecting.
So maybe someone wanted to give them some way to survive...

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

quote:

Here’s some info on the upcoming boss.

Um... Am I missing something here?
It's right before Akatsuki and Smith get switched around but judging from the sneak peak at the end Kraken is all about murdering your party. Or can he also essentially waste a turn by mixing up your members?

Anyways:
MEGAQUEEN, Asteria, Fang

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Ice

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Ah, restrictive post-game bosses. My least favorite part of any Etrian Odyssey game...

So they should get the attention they deserve - in this case with Asteria, Smith, Faye

Two things I noticed in this update:

Cassandra posted:

My apologies, I too busy dealing with tidal waves.
There is a "was" missing after she summoned her clone.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It provides a 10% boost to both HP and TP, and increases the minimum and maximum amount of Limit gained per turn to 3 and 17. I don’t get this for Scott, because I want him to have the ultimate Rapier instead.

But the screenshot says the ultimate gun has SPD forges!?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Rose, Cassandra, Charlotte

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Am I overlooking some mechanic or did you push out Charlotte's Berserker Vow in your first fight?
If I'm counting correctly she should have had four buffs used on her (BV, Attack Order, Pop Flares and Prevent Order in that order) before any of them had the chance to run out or got used up.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Dr. Fetus posted:

Only Attack Order got pushed out. It was the only buff that I didn't refresh, so it got counted as the oldest one. Refreshing a buff causes it to be counted as a new buff in EO3.

So that's it.
Did this got changed in later titles ore way I always paranoid about my buff order for no reason?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
That's good to know.
I always made sure to apply lower priority buffs first but if reapplying the strong buffs keeps them safe I don't have to be so paranoid about ordering - especially when if comes to area targeted vs. single target buffs.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Someone on the development team must have suddenly remembered that Etrian Odyssey is inspired by Wizardry so the quota of annoying hazards you can not see had to be met...

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Faye, Cassandra, Smith

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Sidney, Akatsuki, Asteria

Sidney came to slay dragons (and has composite damage), Akatsuki has a new toy and Asteria's elemental damage is relevant once more.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Of course he went down easy - Wealh's heroic sacrifice has left him exhausted!
I wonder if the rest of her family is as suicidal as her and Hrothgar...

Anyways: Sidney, Faye, Asteria

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Sidney, Faye, Rose

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I want to echo the sentiment: Goddammit Himukai.
As much as I enjoy his style when it comes to his fetish he is really pushing it.

A whole 5 party members? That is a lot.
Cassandra, Rose, Alice, Faye, Asteria

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nope, they didn't have a Mokoi on them.

The only other time I have seen them around anything EO related is in the Ronin class comic.

http://www.atlus.com/etrian/comic.htm

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
So. Much. Fish.

I found it pretty annoying to even map towards all the towns on the sea chart because of the step limit.
Trying to hunt down schools of fish with that limitation sounds even worse.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
That was almost two floors in one update. Although you tankfully cut out most of the actual tedium of B24F.

At least you get properly rotated on the spinners so you can still keep track of where you are looking even if it gets harder.
Iirc in Wizardry you did not get rotated, you just looked into a different direction immediatly. With walls that are "drawn" with two lines - so most of the time they all looked the same...

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Efe posted:

Though it makes me wonder, does every post-game EO stratum have that one floor that's basically a giant middle finger?

Of course not.
Claret Hollows (EO/EOU) has five of those!

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Faye, Cassandra, Sidney, Asteria

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Faye with a sword and Cassandra with an eyepatch... Why do I have the feeling these two things are related?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
This AI script is brought to you by the phrase: "But wait! There's more!"

Bring on the Electric Chair!

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
The Abyssal God is actually secretly reading this thread and has now prepared for your cheese tactic.
It wanted to vote for "Fair and Square" but couldn't make it past the captcha - and now you are suffering its revenge. :tinfoil:

On a somewhat related note: how would you go about resetting the RNG in a DS game?
From what I gather all "random" events will always be the same if you take the same actions from loading up a file until they happen - so do you just run around a bit in the first stratum or is more work involved to change your seed?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Oh Akatsuki. I'm honestly not sure if he just plain panicked or if he was sincerely trying to give good advice. Either way, not what Alice wants to hear before you go and risk your life fighting a death god.

Akatsuki is too good a Ninja to just walk into a death flag like this.

I am looking forward to the grand finale of this adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
The Alice solo kill was awesome but of all the kills you have shown this last one is my favorite - using Knighthood to turn the Abyssal God's input reads against it.
I know it's just a programming quirk pulling something like this is almost JoJo-esque.

Together with the muscle sorceress it made for a great fight - and a worthy final for a great LP.

• Locked thread