Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

The Safdie brothers have been kicking around the indie scene for several years now with compelling works in both fiction and nonfiction, but their latest film, Heaven Knows What, blows the drat doors off. Based on the real life experiences of the film's main actress, Arielle Holmes, the film follows a group of heroin addicts just trying to get by in New York City. We open the film finding our protagonist, Harley, in the throes of a tortured romance with Ilya (Caleb Landry Jones, the only pro actor in the bunch), a good-for-nothing junkie who seems to get a kick out of devastating her emotionally. In turn she seeks the comfort of other friends and dealers, and the majority of the film follows her with cinema-verite levels of intimacy through midnight street parties, cramped apartments, and fast food restrooms. What's truly astonishing is that as much as most of the work carries a brand of brutal realism, it also glides effortlessly into moments of resplendent, dreamlike romance, where suddenly amid all the muck there's something unexpectedly romantic. This is aided by gorgeous cinematography and electronic compositions by Isao Tomita that snugly fit into this era I would contend is defined by the contemporary work of Cliff Martinez (or maybe it's the other way around). The opening credits of the picture feature a brilliant master shot inside a cramped space that I wouldn't even expect some of the great masters to pull off. I don't want to go into much more detail because I think the picture thrives on surprise. Heaven Knows What is exactly the kind of refreshing, unforgettable experience that the American independent scene can offer.

REDBAND TRAILER :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWMc7iHt8Q

WORKSAFE TRAILER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBThfoOQI04

:siren:Heaven Knows What is starting in US theaters (probably NY and LA at first) on May 29.:siren:

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I like the narration voice.

"EXPLORE THE POWER OF THE MIND"

"CLIMAX"

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Here's the lineup for June. Now I'm just weirding myself out with how they only use one image and it mirrors my av:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

One of the year's truly great movies. I love the raw lo-fi aesthetic that really brings the grime of these people to the forefront. It really does feel authentic. Like, these are all people I know in some form or another.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Just watched the redband trailer and it looks like a documentary on drugged out white trash IMO.

Pass.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TrixRabbi posted:

One of the year's truly great movies. I love the raw lo-fi aesthetic that really brings the grime of these people to the forefront. It really does feel authentic. Like, these are all people I know in some form or another.

Let me ask you this. What happened for you when the cell phone firework explosion happened? That moment was so perfectly magical, romantic, and weird, that the whole film kind of came into focus right then and there. That whole sequence is absolutely enrapturing and beautiful, which is a real feat considering everything leading up to that point emphasizes how destructive and horrible their dynamic is. It just swept me up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The fact that they keep using the same promo image over and over again kind of annoys me on some primal level.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This still-dope flick is on Netflix now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Now that it's on Netflix I'll try to watch it.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
This would make a great double feature with The Panic in Needle Park, also on Netflix. Young love on heroin in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

HP Hovercraft posted:

This would make a great double feature with The Panic in Needle Park, also on Netflix. Young love on heroin in NYC.

At the Q&A after the screening I went to Josh Safdie mentioned that before they started filming, they asked Jerry Schatzberg, Panic in Needle Park's director, for any insight into filming such a subject. He told them not to use junkies as actors because it was way too much trouble. They wound up completely ignoring his advice.

• Locked thread