Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

:siren:Casting Call Voting is currently open!:siren:

What is Chroma Squad?

Chroma Squad is the work of Brazilian-based independent company Behold Studios. It's a loving tribute to the super sentai genre of TV, where the player controls a fledgling studio founded by five stunt actors who quit the show they used to be working on in order to make their own. The gameplay itself is an isometric strategy RPG, and between battles (or more accurately, filming of episodes!) the player customizes their squad with new costumes and props, buys enhancements to the studio, and manages salaries and studio policies such as insurance. There's even a crafting system, where you use components like rubber, cloth, and modeling clay to make new props and objects to use.

This will be a hybrid LP with a significant amount of participation! We're going to make our own show, together. Without further ado, Let's Play Chroma Squad!

As decided by you, we are Parliament, a fledgling studio out of a warehouse. We're making a show about Funkadelic, a brand new super team! Their Starchild transformation lets them beat up bad guys super easily, which they initiate by yelling Shine the light on them suckas!!! With a yell of On the One!!!, they summon their mighty mech, The Mothership, to do battle against giant monsters. And at the end of the day, they can be counted on to finish their foes with Da Bomb!

Episode List
Episode 0: The Origin Story

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

The Pilot
We begin with our heroes busy at work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-2VRhBuqZo

And so we begin!

As usual for these kinds of games, this is just a kind of tutorial battle. There's no real risk of failure and only a handful of weak enemies, so we can run through some game mechanics. I won't be showing every turn, at least not of this episode, because let's be honest: you know how this is likely to go. Instead, let's talk UI elements.

In the upper left, you can see a Director's Instructions box; in this case, our job is to defeat three enemies. That's not hard at all (in fact, it's required to beat the episode) but in later battles those instructions will be optional objectives. Completing them will fill up our ratings bar in the very top of the screen there, helping us get (and keep) fans. The instructions are largely related to style, and it's important to remember that in Chroma Squad, style is law. We must get an audience, after all, if we're going to survive as a studio!

Let's begin by having Yellow, our Scout character, attack the Simple Minion enemy closest to their starting location. Gender (and what 'Scout' means) will be discussed later on--for now, our only objective is to follow the instructions of our Director. You can see the Simple Minion's stats in the lower right corner, and our team is arranged along the left side of the screen.

I love the animations in this game for their fluidity, so I couldn't really help wanting to show some of them off. Here's the end result of our attack move, though! Yellow defeats the Minion with ease, and their part of the turn ends there.

Sometimes, an enemy isn't in range. In that case, we can (as in many games of this type) choose to instead move twice. There is no 'wait' action, but there is an action that Red (or Black) could have taken here. We'll talk about that later. Instead, I'm going to keep Red and Black close together in order to minimize the damage from a counterattack.

Turn Two begins. The enemies have taken their turn and done very minor damage, as is the usual for tutorial missions. But as a result, I can easily have my squad clean up what's left, finishing the first part of the tutorial.

Of course, we successfully completed this objective, so the box puts a checkmark next to the instruction. This shows up at the end of each part of an episode, a checklist of bonus objectives and whether or not you did them properly.

Our Director is thrilled.

: *psst*... he always says that as long as we are defeating the monsters really easily...

: I heard you!
: Now I want some acrobatics. We can add some explosions to them later.
: What kind of -
: LET ME FINISH TALKING.
: Geez.
: You should use the Teamwork maneuver to toss people around so they can move further.
: If you still don't get a word I said...
: Use Teamwork and then click on those yellow cells!
: Get in position!
: Ok, we're ready!

Okay, so as I mentioned, the game doesn't offer a Wait command. Instead, you can freely switch between your characters during your turn, and you can issue them the Teamwork command. Let's try that out, huh?

This isn't strictly necessary to beat the mission, but it's super stylish, so let's do it anyway.

The first battle opens with Yellow once again. While Yellow could reach that Minion, let's hit the Teamwork button instead. As you can see, Yellow stops in place and starts to glow with special effects power. This enables Yellow to do two things: assist in an attack on an adjacent enemy for bonus damage, or throw a teammate to increase their movement range. In this case, we're throwing Black.

Bullseye. This allows you to use less damaging members of your squad to fling the heavy hitters into position, a major advantage in a drawn out, spaced out fight!

This isn't a strictly necessary image, the fight being so quick and simple, but I really like the way that your characters pose when you start their turn and I happened to get a perfect action shot of Yellow.

The rest of the fight goes predictably, and our director calls our heroes (?) over to conduct the next phase.

: Cut! Another perfect scene. Be glad I'm here to tell you what to do all the time.

: Now show the audience some more Teamwork!
: You know how it works: attack a minion when someone is using Teamwork next to it!

Incidentally, this is absolutely necessary to do, as the minions for this fight are otherwise quite durable. There are only two of them, however, so it's easy enough to prepare and then conquer.

Like so. Note, however, that Yellow's Teamwork is now ended- Yellow can't participate in a second Teamwork attack on the other minion despite still being adjacent to it.

We clean up that fight easily enough, and the Director wants to shoot the finale.

: Great job! Keep it like that, I'm loving this. Move now so the boss can teleport to the set!
: Where's that big girl in the monster suit?

The boss literally teleports in, which is impressive. It's an actor in a robot suit. You'll see it soon, but first, let's learn about the final Teamwork aspect.

: This is how you are going to do this...
: Remember your training, put four of you adjacent to the monster in Teamwork...
: ...and then attack the monster. Everyone around will help you out!
: This is what we call a "Finishing Move"!
: Why is he saying all these things again? We've done this so many times already.
: He just likes telling people what to do, I guess.
: The monster will blow up when you do the Finishing Move! I need the five of you to do it together!
: Shouldn't we fight the monster before we do the Finishing Move? This feels rushed, our audience won't enjoy it.
: I never wanna hear you say "I want it that way"! (:effort:)

Okay, the big finale. We need to do some setting up first...

Then we can watch the fireworks, and be happy with our tutorial episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZLgXIYwAQk

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 19, 2015

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Now that our heroes have founded their own studio, we need to do some prep work, goons. I won't lie to you, it's a bit overwhelming, and there are a lot of choices!

Which is why I'm turning to you. Let's found this studio and make this show happen, together!

First thing's first, we need to fill out the following form:

Once that's done, we also need to hire five actors, assign them roles and colors for their outfits, and sign our first contract. We'll get to that, it's fairly complex, and I don't want all of the decisions to be presented at once for obvious reasons.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Studio Name: Parliament
Squad Name: Funkadelic
Transformation: Starchild
Transformation Shout: Shine the light on them suckas!!!
Mecha Name: The Mothership
Call Mecha Shout: On the One!!!
Finishing Move: Funkentelechy

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Studio Name: Goons Inc.
Squad Name: The Assblasters
Transformation: Shitpost
Transformation Shout: Time to post in GBS!!!
Mecha Name: The Probe
Call Mecha Shout: Send out the Probe!!!!
Finishing Move: Take one for the team!!!

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Studio Name: Tired Mutts
Squad Name: Sun On Yee
Transformation: Ghost Pig Mode
Transformation Shout: We'll do this my Wei!
Mecha Name: The Pork Bun
Call Mecha Shout: You need a Pork Bun!
Finishing Move: Breaking Legs

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Glaive17 posted:

Finishing Move: Breaking Legs

Seconding this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is there any particular reason why you're not putting the cutscenes in screenshot format? I get that you want to do a hybrid LP, but given that almost everything is in-engine you're not gaining anything from making them Youtube links. Stuff like mecha fights probably deserve video, but what you've done so far with really important plot details is just jarring to me as a reader.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Studio Name: Goons Inc.
Squad Name: The Assblasters
Transformation Shout: Time to post in GBS!!!
Mecha Name: The Probe
Call Mecha Shout: Send out the Probe!!!!
Finishing Move: Take one for the team!!!

You're good, but I'm better.

Studio Name: Goon Squad
Squad Name: The Protected
Transformation Shout: I'm gay!
Mecha Name: Frogout
Call Mecha Shout: GET OUT!
Finishing Move: PERMABANNED

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Studio Name: SA Productions
Squad Name: Goonranger
Transformation: LP Thread
Transformation Shout: GET IN
Mecha Name: Dickbutt Megazord
Call Mecha Shout: GET OUT
Finishing Move: Threadlock

Edit: Haha, beat by like a second. I still think "GET IN" should be the transformation shout. And Goonranger sounds cool.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is there any particular reason why you're not putting the cutscenes in screenshot format? I get that you want to do a hybrid LP, but given that almost everything is in-engine you're not gaining anything from making them Youtube links. Stuff like mecha fights probably deserve video, but what you've done so far with really important plot details is just jarring to me as a reader.

Honestly this is a good point and I'll work on adjusting it. Never having done a screenshot LP before I wanted to keep things smooth and not have fifty images per update post but if it's too disjointed I can just fix it later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fridurmus posted:

Honestly this is a good point and I'll work on adjusting it. Never having done a screenshot LP before I wanted to keep things smooth and not have fifty images per update post but if it's too disjointed I can just fix it later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Having a ton of images per update is only really a problem if you're using uncompressed PNGs, which tends to make browsers cry. You seem to be using JPEGs, though, so go hog wild!

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Great Joe posted:

Do this, please.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Studio Name: Noble Metal
Squad Name: Wonderful Double-Oh-Five
Transformation: Unlimited Form
Transformation Shout: Engaging Unlimited Form!
Mecha Name: Noble Metal Robo
Call Mecha Shout: Get Ready!
Finishing Move: Justice Arrow

Because "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow" definitely won't fit that last one. :v:

Fridurmus posted:

Let me put it this way: A lot of SSLPs will have updates with somewhere in the area of 150-200 images. You don't need to worry that much about the length of an update; there's also nothing wrong with shorter ones if that's what fits the source material. It's one of those things you develop a feel for with practice.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 19, 2015

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Squad Name: Lets Players
Transformation: White Knighters
Transformation Shout: FROGSIREN
Mecha Name: Goldmined Thread
Call Mecha Shout: GET IN
Finishing Move: Gas Thread

I think that this is the best version of the theme some of the goons have been going for.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

Do this, please.

This poster knows what's up. And what's up is the suggestion she is advocating. That's what's up.

Also, just, pass on if you haven't played Chroma Squad folks, but as somebody who just finished it:

WHY MUST EVERY GOOD THING GO THE WAY OF TRAUMA CENTER. I JUST WANTED A MAGICAL REALISM GAME ABOUT RUNNING A SHOW, I DON'T GIVE TWO FIGS ABOUT SOME DUMB REAL ALIEN THING. ARGH.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Glaive17 posted:

Finishing Move: Leg Breaker

Also backing this, with an adjustment to the Finishing Move name to fit it being, well, a finishing move rather than a state of being.

This is a Good Game and I am very happy to have played it through. I ought to be happy that you're the one doing an LP of it, but I really need to catch up on the Sleeping Dogs LP at some point.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah, this game. They just did some fixes of this, and one part of that was taking two episodes out. You'll never get to do them again.

Squad Name: Lets Players
Transformation: Recording
Transformation Shout: Let's Play!
Mecha Name: The Five Stars
Call Mecha Shout: More views needed!
Finishing Move: See you next time.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I want to make a case for my suggestion as such:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Studio Name: Communist Super Power
Squad Name: The Working Men/Class
Transformation: Glorious Revolutionaries
Transformation Shout: "For the Motherland!"
Mecha Name: Robo-Lenin
Call Mecha Shout: Crush the Bourgeois!
Finishing Move: Russian Winter

Aremtheman
Apr 21, 2010

Great Joe posted:

This, it has to be this.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Henceforth I would like to alter my suggestion so that the Finishing Move be changed to: "Drop Da Bomb"

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Henceforth I would like to alter my suggestion so that the Finishing Move be changed to: "Drop Da Bomb"

Sustained.

By the way, if anyone hasn't seen it, the launch trailer they put out is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrl2bCBzqRc

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I lack wittiness for company naming so I'm just going to say I vote for whatever is most likely to result in everybody getting guns

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Section Z posted:

I lack wittiness for company naming so I'm just going to say I vote for whatever is most likely to result in everybody getting guns

Some of the characters are specifically designed not to use guns though, and you'll miss out on a lot of cool gear if you just shove guns in their hands.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Oh wow, you really CAN get them in afros as part of the uniform. In that case yeah, totally voting for Funkadelic.

Great Joe posted:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bacter posted:

This poster knows what's up. And what's up is the suggestion she is advocating. That's what's up.

Also, just, pass on if you haven't played Chroma Squad folks, but as somebody who just finished it:

WHY MUST EVERY GOOD THING GO THE WAY OF TRAUMA CENTER. I JUST WANTED A MAGICAL REALISM GAME ABOUT RUNNING A SHOW, I DON'T GIVE TWO FIGS ABOUT SOME DUMB REAL ALIEN THING. ARGH.

To be fair, this is pretty much the game counterpart of Akibaranger.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

Some of the characters are specifically designed not to use guns though, and you'll miss out on a lot of cool gear if you just shove guns in their hands.

True, but it's totally a super great good idea (okay let the support keep their signature weapon) I just want everyone able to shoot things pew pew pew.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I don't really have much of an opinion on what to name things, outside of maybe naming the mecha The Ghoner.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Studio Name: Planet Express
Squad Name: The Mongooses
Transformation: Zapp Brannigan
Transformation Shout: "I've Made It With A Woman! Inform The Men!"
Mecha Name: Bender Bending Rodriguez
Call Mecha Shout: "Bender's Back, Please Insert Liquor!"
Finishing Move: Into The Wild Green Yonder

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Gotta be this

We love you Dr. Funkenstein, your funk is the best!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Great Joe posted:

One nation under a groove!

Do this!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Leavemywife posted:

Studio Name: Planet Express
Squad Name: The Mongooses
Transformation: Zapp Brannigan
Transformation Shout: "I've Made It With A Woman! Inform The Men!"
Mecha Name: Bender Bending Rodriguez
Call Mecha Shout: "Bender's Back, Please Insert Liquor!"
Finishing Move: Into The Wild Green Yonder

Voting for this one

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

Or ramp up your skill regen and shoot everything, all the time.

This is great. Gonna play this one alongside the LP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

Or ramp up your skill regen and shoot everything, all the time.

This is great. Gonna play this one alongside the LP.

And what a coincidence, Guns tend to come with skill regen :buddy: But yeah, use whatever weapons you want unless you literally start a vote for it or something. It's your show after all. I just liked having a bunch of guns on hand due to certain common director requirements being more of a bitch on some bosses than others. The latest patch apparently removed Iron Mongery stage entirely on that note. Though he is not my early game director goal archmenesis by a longshot.

The only class I could definitely say I preferred not using their signature weapon and would ignore it again in a heartbeat was the scout. Well, up until the final seasons where +Dodge is a guaranteed trait to craft them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 19, 2015

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, this owns

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Nothing to add, except that you have a minor typo

Fridurmus posted:

As usual for these kinds of games, this is just a kind of tutorial battle. There's no real risk of failure and only a handful of weak enemies, so we can run through some game mechanics. I won't be showing every turn, at least not of this episode, because let's be honest: you know how this is likely to go. Instead, let's talk UI elements.

In the upper right, you can see a Director's Instructions box; in this case, our job is to defeat three enemies. That's not hard at all (in fact, it's required to beat the episode) but in later battles those instructions will be optional objectives. Completing them will fill up our ratings bar in the very top of the screen there, helping us get (and keep) fans. The instructions are largely related to style, and it's important to remember that in Chroma Squad, style is law. We must get an audience, after all, if we're going to survive as a studio!

that should probably be left.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Nothing to add, except that you have a minor typo

that should probably be left.

Fixed, thank you.

Great Joe's basically taking us all on a ride to Chocolate City, but I'm leaving the final decision until a bit later. :buddy: Please be looking forward to the massive undertaking that is deciding on our team.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Great Joe posted:

Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Gonna go ahead and call it with Great Joe's entry now.

Which brings us to a new problem. See, we need to hire five actors to fit five specific roles, decide on suit colors for each of them, and give them character names. That's a lot of work! Let's get to it.

This is the Squad Setup screen. We can only do this once, and all decisions made on this screen are final. Don't rush your decisions, and make sure to give everything some thought.

In Chroma Squad, the five roles each give their character a specific bonus. They appear on the left side of the screen during battles in the following order:

By default, their suit colors are (in order) Yellow, Black, Red, Blue, and Pink.

In addition to deciding on suit colors, we need names for each of those five.

On top of all of this, we have to hire actors for each role. Each actor has specific bonuses and drawbacks in terms of skills, a different appearance (which shows up in the pre-suiting up phase of each episode) and a different salary, although I would encourage people not to be too worried about their salary demands right now.

They are, in alphabetical order:

So, to sum up, I need (for each Role) the Actor that you want to hire, the Character Name you want them to use, and the Color of their suit. This is gonna be open for at least a couple days, so no pressure. Have at it!

And thank you Geop for the swift title change, you're the best.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 19, 2015

• Locked thread