Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I don't know what they did with the art in this game, but it looks really nice. It feels very reminiscent of VC1's style but in 2D. I also already like Kurt a lot more than Avan by virtue of him not being Avan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tae posted:

So I need a new page, but all I have are horrible reminders that the artist is still obsessed with breast ratio.

You know, it's not even that I'm surprised about that--what surprises me is just how open the art team seems to be about that. Like I figured that would be something they'd deny and be like "Oh no, that just happened to be the design we settled on because..." but no, they are incredibly honest about it.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Man, I know that this game will probably have its fair share of cliches down the road but I really appreciate the harsh tone of most cutscenes so far. Game's been doing a good job in letting us know that those characters seriously got it rough. Really big mood change from the happy go lucky stuff VC2 had for tone.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I like that Serge's aim stat was ridiculously high from the start despite him being an engineer. That strangely fits with his backstory really well, that's a nice touch.

Also I'm liking the entire cast a lot here. I think there's something to be said about their lives sucking so much that I can't help but sympathize with them a little like, "Ouch dude." Love that their sub-events seem to be less their issues being magically cleared and more them learning to deal with them. Plus it's nice that their issues are actual issues instead of VC2's high school love story with war as a background.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Ikasuhito posted:

You know the more I see of Kurt in these the more he seems to stick out. He's the first protagonist to have so little interest or involvement with his squad's shenanigans its almost like he's from a different genre let alone game.

Yeah, that stands out to me every update. Kurt seems to be genuinely unwilling to pry into people's issues. He seems focused on his own stuff and he's not there to pry into anyone's past, which is...honestly, pretty fun. Maybe it's just me but I tend to like characters a lot less when they go around fixing everyone's problems.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

quote:

I just love how he says something so morbid while looking so :smug: about it. Like he's going "Heh, you're gonna get execuuuuted. Sucker." I was half-expecting the game to be like "nah, he'll probably get off from prison because of minor plot point X" but no. Just dude hamming it up about a guy being executed for treason haha. Not even complaining, that's just still so weird after VC2. The tone feels so different it almost feels like it belongs in a different series.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Night10194 posted:

Ah, there's the painful writing I remember. It was just waiting for the love interests.

Honestly, I don't know if the game just build enough good will I'm willing to roll with it or what, but I don't think it was painful. It was...kind of odd though.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I like the fact Kurt is being portrayed as more fallible than Welkin and Avan. I think the cardinal incident is the first time in the series a protagonist just flat our surrendered.

Tae posted:

You guys read too much Drakengard or something. I'm going to spoil it because you will be disappointed regardless: We're not going to kill Clarissa's lover.

Honestly, I wouldn't even have been surprised if the game killed off her lover. Like this game has already killed off Deit's sister, so I think it has established it is totally down with murdering unseen characters. Not that not doing that is a bad thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
You know, I was really afraid that the game wouldn't make life in the Nameless seem all that bad. Like it would have a pretty grim concept but would fail utterly at showing how hosed up it was. After that war crime update it's like, yuuup nah, they're going all out. I kind of like how things have continued to get progressively worse so far. Hope it keeps getting worse, this mood is serving the game really well. Think this is one of the few times a game benefits from being a prequel because we know from VC1 that they're not going to earn some magical redemption and end the war themselves--that's all Welkin. If not for this being a prequel I'd assume that they eventually would prove everyone wrong about them and that they'd win the war or something. This setup works pretty well because when things go wrong for them I'm like "Huh, the game can't go for the cheap solution here due to canon." So I'm excited to see where this goes.

• Locked thread