Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

DOWNLOAD SHIPS AND TEMPLATES AND poo poo HERE: http://starmadedock.net/content/

Since the last thread there has been a lot of optimization, a new UI. and holy poo poo a rail system and reworked turret system!

Eviljimmy said it best:

eviljimmy posted:

Imagine a cross between Minecraft and Eve online that is FREE and AVAILABLE RIGHT THE gently caress NOW. Now clean up the drool in your neckbeard, get a new pack of cheetos and download it from HERE.

:siren: GOONSERVER by Zennik! starmade.analpoundtownandassociates.com:4242 :siren:
:siren: GOONMUMBLE by Zennik! mumble.analpoundtownandassociates.com port 4242 :siren:
Official Wiki: http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/StarMade_Wiki (don't use the other wikis they suck)

If you haven't touched this game in a while, you're probably wondering...

SO WHAT THE gently caress IS NEW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyxsW_2xmo

A WHOLE BUNCH OF poo poo! Schema's been busy.

We've got:

A new lighting system and improved graphics with bump mapping and poo poo!

Dodecahedral planets! YOU CAN BLOW THEM UP YEAH

gently caress yeah LOGIC BLOCKS! MAKE A CALCULATOR

Spiral galaxies and a sweet rear end galaxy map. YOU CAN TRAVEL TO OTHER GALAXIES ACROSS THE COLD VOID OF SPACCCEEEE

Faction warfare! Claim sectors and poo poo!

Super spergy crafting!

A new weapons system!

Other poo poo: Copy-paste with templates! It OWNS. Also there's a build helper that lets you quickly make a torus, sphere, or ellipsoid. There's FTL travel now too - Warp Gates (station, long range) and Jump Drives (ship, short range)

There's also the NEW GODDAMNED UI and the NEW loving RAIL SYSTEM

The rail system lets you make moving and rotating docked entities and neato turrets. Here are some gifs!

So what the gently caress do you do in this game?

Build spaceships out of blocks, fly them around, mine / shot mans/ explore, build bigger things. The game is primarily focused around ships - you get a few handheld weapons but there is no progression for your pilot. HERE ARE SOME COOL THINGS YOU CAN DO

Make drone launching carriers!

Make a loving clock!

Make a goddamn Warp Gate

Is that a loving THUNDERDOME?

BLOW poo poo UP

Other poo poo you can do

Build a space-faring Dongeship
Build a Warp Gate network
Trade with other players in a player driven economy
Mine asteroids and craft blocks in factory chains
Explore an infinite procedurally generated universe with the help of a ship mounted jump drive!
Accidentally jump into a sun and kill yourself

Look at these big spergy beauties

Also some duderinos are importing EVE ships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwL3s721PVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tc19YgKug

DID I MENTION ITS FREE? (The Steam version says Demo, but it's exactly the same as retail and will be for the duration of the alpha)

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Tutorial Stuff:

Rail / Docking / Turret System
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFqvTyskmFA

Logic System
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYQq5wwiJ8k

A bunch more by Bench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

How to start maek block
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nkGSRlzUM

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 22, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I just got back into this, I was in a local server quietly building a dong ship, and then suddenly I was back in the starting shop spawn with a bunch of messages on the right that faded to fast for me to read them except something about credits being reset. I managed to find my ship's ID and location and teleport back to it, where I found it was overheating. I stopped that and found a small hole blasted in the armour I'd put around the core, which is presumably the root cause of the problem, but I have no idea how it happened. When I last played you could play space legos in peace without the AI bothering you, is this no longer true? And if so how do I switch the AI off? Or has something else been added that could cause that? Build too many blocks without enough power and the core explodes or something?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Sounds like you got shanked by a pirate spawn. Are you on SP?

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

This had a fun if not short lasted goon rush a while back. Seems like the game is surprisingly way better now and would be cool with a goon server.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
We've got one, it's in da OP. Just need bodies!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It appears I can't connect to the server. Is it down or am I just a dummy?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm not home so I can't check. Did you authenticate your account or whatever?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I should really pick this up again but last time there was horrible loading issues where you'd change sector and it'd take like 30 seconds for you to be able to do anything in it. Did they fix that yet?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Oh yeah. Sector transitions are a lot smoother and there's been a lot of optimization

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't notice the new OP.

So I just logged into the new APTAA, haven't really played since the last server was brand new. The old thread promised me an awesome space car. Instead I only have 80k credits, it's gonna be tricky to get started with just that.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
You should have two filled blueprints.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Is armor still worthless, requiring you make a giant cube of shield generators on your ship somewhere, or is there actually a point to it now?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Party Alarm posted:

You should have two filled blueprints.

Oh, I did see something like that. I'm just not smart enough to look at them or know how the new crafting system works. Thanks, I'll take another look next time I log on.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Sooo do I need to be a sperg city sperglord to play this or what? There is no way in hell I could make anything good looking. Last time I played this I made stick ships.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Has anyone else has some real trouble getting started? I've never actually had to rely on this new crafting system before, and it's obtuse as gently caress. I finally figured out what I needed, and tried to get setup on a planet (the first planet I tried had a pirate base orbiting). After searching a few planets and several asteroids for whatever specific thing I needed to make a faction block, my started ship is half destroyed. Still haven't found what I was looking for to make that faction block. The only reason I'm not dead is because I logged out.

Edit: Unrelated, do heat seeking missiles still target your own turrets?

Edit 2: Oh look, there's a second post. nm, I clearly have many hours to spend on youtube.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 27, 2015

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Restarted the server, seemed fine but couldn't connect. Sorry for any downtime!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Shadowlz posted:

Sooo do I need to be a sperg city sperglord to play this or what? There is no way in hell I could make anything good looking. Last time I played this I made stick ships.

Funny enough cube ships jammed with as many systems / subsystems as possible are the most effective!

Also there's a build helper, and you can download copy/paste templates and poo poo

e: Oh, and you can download ship blueprints from the best spergs, fill them with blocks and spawn them

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Party Alarm posted:

Funny enough cube ships jammed with as many systems / subsystems as possible are the most effective!

Also there's a build helper, and you can download copy/paste templates and poo poo

e: Oh, and you can download ship blueprints from the best spergs, fill them with blocks and spawn them

Do we have spawning rights/a lot of resources, or do you have to using the mining and crafting system on this server? I've been just building space ships in single player, 'cause that's what I do, but I'd love to let your server handle the cpu load be social and play on the multiplayer server instead.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 31, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Double post for ships.

It's the Intrepid. I built it as a nice starter ship, it's probably a little too nice for that, but not much.

The original idea for the design was this, but I think it ended up looking more like an Engi ship from FTL

Here it is next to that default starmade ship.

I didn't do a very good job taking pictures as I went this time, but there's a few here.
http://imgur.com/a/3QH3A

It's got:
Cannon/cannon turret on the top.
A missile/beam lock on missile, also on the top.
Swarming missiles shoot laterally out the port side.
4 can/can forward cannons.
Salvager on the starboard side.
Jump drive.

It's designed to land on planets, with the landing gear and the ramp. It's pretty good at taking out default crap pirates, but doesn't have the output to really take on stations very well though. I really enjoy it though.

One thing I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere: is there any way to have more than 10 hotkeys while piloting? Betweens weapon systems, defense systems, and logic systems, 10 really isn't enough.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Do we have spawning rights/a lot of resources, or do you have to using the mining and crafting system on this server? I've been just building space ships in single player, 'cause that's what I do, but I'd love to let your server handle the cpu load be social and play on the multiplayer server instead.

Doubled the overall mining bonus, I might increase it more because mining kinda blows. Probably gonna increase starting resources too - as it stands you spawn with default blocks, a filled Isanth blueprint, and a filled Delorean blueprint.

counterfeitsaint posted:

One thing I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere: is there any way to have more than 10 hotkeys while piloting? Betweens weapon systems, defense systems, and logic systems, 10 really isn't enough.

Not yet but they're working on mulitple hotbars on the dev build.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Party Alarm posted:

Doubled the overall mining bonus, I might increase it more because mining kinda blows. Probably gonna increase starting resources too - as it stands you spawn with default blocks, a filled Isanth blueprint, and a filled Delorean blueprint.

Hey! I only got the first blueprint when I spawned.

Party Alarm posted:

Not yet but they're working on mulitple hotbars on the dev build.

Sweet. I'll probably stick with my current plan for only one hotbar on my current ship though.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I was kind of hoping to make the goonserver a place where we can shoot each other a lot, but it seems like I'd be better off making it creative in nature, and having those who want to shoot pubbies migrate to the Shattered Skies server - usually 20 people+ online there with lots of duders to shoot.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Me, Desideratus, and MisterBobPerson have started a faction on Shattered Skies called Earth's Special Forces. If you want in to shoot pubbies just apply in game and post here with your ign. We'll have industry set up by tonight and should be able to start cranking out ships for you to shotmans with.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Back from camping, hope to get industry finished on that server tonight

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I just spent WAY too much time setting up a factory station with a control room to toggle production of pretty much every block in the game. Even has wedge/all shapes toggle for armor.

I've got some ideas to wire in a timed shutdown, emergency stop butan complete with red flashy lights in the control room, and possibly some rail powered pistons to make it look fancy when producing things.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Party Alarm posted:

I just spent WAY too much time setting up a factory station with a control room to toggle production of pretty much every block in the game. Even has wedge/all shapes toggle for armor.

I've got some ideas to wire in a timed shutdown, emergency stop butan complete with red flashy lights in the control room, and possibly some rail powered pistons to make it look fancy when producing things.

That sounds awesome and I need to check it out.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Starmade is 50% off on steam if you want to support the devs. It's still free to play (the demo is the full game and you can download it independently of steam too)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Completely remaking my factory into a new, better version. More efficient production chains for armor, and the following logic features:

Error checking for each production line. Green and red lights above the activators that tell you if you have the required resources. If you're out, the red light activates and the production line is shut down, and cannot begin again until you have the required resources. No waste, and no situations where one production line pulled all your sertise capsules and is just sitting there dick in hand because it doesn't have the other resources.

Smart activation for the capsule refinery so it doesn't waste power when there are no resources to process

Visual indicators (rails, lights ect) when parts of production are active, I'm thinking giant stamping machines for armor, complex machinery for more advanced bits, conveyor belts, and so forth.

A set of indicator lights to tell you want resources you are out of, and what asteroids to mine.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
So I've been playing this a bit, on the server as Sljpp in the Erituna Sector and was mostly just messing around with mining to get the resources for making a big pirate killing ship. I managed to get about that far just using two stacks of 160 heat seeking missiles (missile slaved to missile at 100%).

A question for those more set up on the server though: How are you managing to acquire all the resources for those huge factories? Planetary mining seems to grind the server to a screeching halt, but with a set up like that I don't see how you're supplying it in any other fashion. For that matter, setting up on a planetary plate seems to cause pretty insurmountable lag alone. Is it just me? Or is there some trick I'm not seeing?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Most servers have mining multipliers set up in the config. Hefty ones. Vanilla settings kinda suck

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Saw the rail system and was sold. Does that mean I can make full-on Macross transforming mecha?

Is there some kind of tutorial available for logic systems, whether for the game or in general? I've figured out how each logic block manipulates a signal, but I just have no idea how to manipulate the signal to do fun stuff. I'm doing research before I get home from work when I plan on playing this game immediately.

Oh well, if I can't figure out logic right away I can at least find a little cave where I hide my dirty rear end ship and protect it with automatic turrets. (The trigger controller and block seem pretty self-explanatory.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Read the post after the OP, I linked some tutorial vids, inc logic and rails

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF0fe6EBMuA

Patch out! HP system!

e: NINE MORE HOTBARS YEAH

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 20, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Party Alarm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF0fe6EBMuA

Patch out! HP system!

e: NINE MORE HOTBARS YEAH

:gizz:

Boarding parties, anti-astronaut turrets, and armor that might not (unsure yet) be entirely pointless.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

God knows how anyone is building these crazy things, I just spent 30 minutes having a really hard time walking around and dealing with the massive motion sickness it brought on.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh god, more self aggrandizing image dumps, and a double feature no less.

First up is the IKS Rotarren. The general shape is based off a :techno: Klingon Battlecruiser :techno: Proper Star Trek nerds will point out the Rotarren was a bird of prey and not a cruiser. Too bad! Bird of prey design is dumb, but the Rotarren was the best ship with the best captain, so I'm using the name anyways. There will be a link at the end to all of the screenshots I'm skipping for the sake of brevity.

I start with the basic interior, and the power reactor blocks. Due to the way they work, I make several different 'groups', in the case of the Rotarren, 12, that each go the length, breadth, and depth of the ship, but never touch orthangonally, giving me the max possible bonus 12 times. I'll add or tweak this a little as I build the rest of the ship around it, but this gives the general skeleton of the ship. This is the the most difficult/interesting part of how I design ships, and I've even saved a blue print of the ship in this state for future reference.

Slowly filling in the rest of the ship and the hull around the power reactor blocks.

This poo poo takes forever.

Skipping ahead, she's done, give or take:

Matching entrances port and starboard, behind the wings. I have little five block shuttles for looting because maneuvering anything as big as the Rotarren is a pain.

The bridge, protected in the center of the ship, with all the computers. The ship core is behind the blast doors on the right. On the left are ramps going up and down. Going down leads to:

The cargo bay, with the third and final way onto the ship, a small door on the bottom, and the ventral viewing area, also in the cargo bay. If instead you go up from the bidge, you to get to:

Engineering, with the jump drive. All 12 power reactor blocks go through here, and down to the bottom of the ship. Ramps up from engineering lead to:

Forward viewing deck. The main camera is in the ceiling. Those are point defense turrets out the window.

Armament consists of:
12x Dual point defense turrets to shoot down missiles.

128x cluster ~1k damage explosive missiles. They shoot forward from six points along the orange 'line' on the wings.

2x 36x cluster ~1k damage missiles. Two separate, identical weapon systems. Horizontal fire missiles, one group shoots port, one starboard.

2x Beam/pulse/ion anti-shield lasers, the giant glowing red things at the end of each wing. I have no idea how to read total beam damage, but they can do at least a few hundred K of shield damage to a station in a ~5 second burst.

2x Missile/beam/explosive, long range, lock-on torpedo. They shoot out the nose. Two separate, identical weapon systems, 115k damage each.

1x Missile/pulse/overdrive, doom missile. Also shoot out the nose. Slow as balls lock-on torpedo with a long recharge, but it will put a 90 meter hole in the side of a station or slow moving ship. 250k damage

The rest of the screen shots.
http://imgur.com/a/0Je6w

I planned to put three larger anti-ship turrets on it, one above the forward viewing deck, another facing aft right behind the first, and one ventral just behind the cargo port, and well as decorate the hull some more, particularly some red or brown on the wings, you can still see a little bit of brown near the bow that I think looks dumb, but I'm too lazy to remove yet. I'd still like too, but I'm currently more interested in starting another ship. When I first built this I didn't know how to use the logic system at all, so none of the doors or anything are automatic.

Still, at 7.1k mass, it's by far the largest ship I've gotten to working order, and I'm pretty proud of her.

The second part of the double feature is that half finished station in the background, which will be in my next post, that will be either in an hour or two, or tomorrow, depending on how lazy I feel.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Self aggrandizing image dumps part 2!

I had trouble thinking up a name for my faction on my server, and thanks to a certain LP/game, I decided to go with The Kingdom of Zeal, which lead to me setting up my station in orbit of a planet, and calling it The Black Omen. I did a poo poo job of taking screenshots as I went this time, and the majority of the shots are actually of things that were changed significantly, or entirely replaced. It's not finished, but since I won't be working on it anymore for awhile, I better show it off now, or I'll get distracted and take a break from starmade and never show it off.

Three levels of living/working space, the area below that will be filled with useful blocks. The beam leading up consists of power reactors, and will (eventually) lead to the defense platform, that will have all the defensive turrets on it. It make or may not rotate. The blue crystal things at the bottom rotate slowly. Until I log out apparently, then they stop. :iiam: Automatic rotating is dumb.

The deck on top, where smaller ships can dock, including shuttles, You can kinda see the main entrance in the middle of the shot. I think in the future I might set it up so capital ships are docked away from and unconnected to the main structure, and rely on shuttles to get to them. I like the shuttles on the Rotarren, and will probably use then on future ships.

The orange thing is an attempt to duplicate the Zeal crest. Pixel art on an angle is a pain. It looks cool enough on it's own, and vaguely like the source material, I'm pretty happy with it.

Standing on the deck, facing the entrance.

Just inside the entrance we get to the thing I'm most proud of, and really the only reason why I made this post, the logic rail elevator, which I used to learn the starmade logic system. It has automatic doors (force fields) on each level, as well as the elevator itself, and the lights on the left indicate the elevator's current location.

After hitting the call button.

Buttons inside the elevator, the lights above each button light up and stay lit up until you reach your destination. On the other side there are lights indicating your current level, I'm thinking of putting them on this side as well, so it's all together.

The logic system to run the elevator. It can probably be optimized, but for babbies first rail/logic system beyond automatic doors, it's not too bad.

All the doors are automatic, opening and closing as you go through them. They have buttons you can use as well, in case you stand in front of it too long and it closes or something. When the door is open, the blue lights are off, and the red lights turn on. Also, I really like force fields.

Entrance from the capital ship walkways. Exterior doors are also automatic, but don't have triggers outside, so you have to open them normally, assuming you have permission. They'll still close automatically and open if you approach from the inside.

To be added: A three level arboretum with grass and trees and and rocks and poo poo, and a second elevator, this one mostly glass.

To be added: A lounge or something, with a great view of the arboretum an empty white floor.

The whole album, mostly full of ideas that never materialized.
http://imgur.com/a/1LPD6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

counterfeitsaint posted:

:gizz:

Boarding parties, anti-astronaut turrets, and armor that might not (unsure yet) be entirely pointless.

Boarding parties will be amazing once you can properly engage in combat on foot. The dev was talking about the possibility of adding an "infantry" game in the future. IE: New armors and looks for characters that you craft. So you could get in some power armor and just tear poo poo up in the halls of someone else's ship while covering your dinky engineer/hacker types.

Keep in mind that some of the ships people build have huge hangar bays or just huge hallways to facilitate moving vehicles around. So picture some dude assaulting the bay by flying into it with a space flight capable mech that can switch to ground combat when inside. Followed by a proper boarding party to get things rolling. :getin:

I love how this game is basically an EVE pirate's dream.

Edit: Looks like sniper rifles and rocket launchers are already in. Guess I have a lot of catch up on.

Edit 2: Any chance of an invite to the Shattered Skies guild? A goon in it told me to try to contact one of the guys who could invite over Steam, but apparently he isn't available.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 27, 2015

• Locked thread