Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Oh my god, this looks amazing. Just noodling around on a pubbie server in the free demo right now.

I keep getting the "memory low" warning, and it says to increase the min and max memory settings from the StarMade Launcher - but the Launcher doesn't seem to have anything directly related to memory allocation. I've gone into Configure Java and increased the min and max by quite a bit though - is that what it means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

The launcher leaves a lot to be desired. On the first window that pops up, there are a few dropdown menus, one of which has to do with memory allocation.

Oh, derp - yeah, that was the problem, it was on the first launcher and not the second. Under Options -> Memory Settings, if anyone else is having problems finding it.

Another problem I'm having is that whichever server I'm playing on (I guess it just randomly chooses one if you don't specify? or there's a default one?) is CONSTANTLY popping up with "Server under heavy load" notifications. Are they all like this, or did I just get assigned to a real lemon?

Edit: Oh, I know what I really wanted to ask - mixing weapon types. How does that work?
Like, if I want my Salvage beam to fire continuously, apparently I do something involving linking Cannons to it. Is that Cannon Modules, that I link to the Salvage Computer? Or do I link the Cannon modules to a Cannon Computer, which I then slave to the Salvager?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 20, 2016

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
One more question, on top of the ones I asked above:

I started building an upgrade for my shuttle/salvager/only ship, and since my base is on a planet surface but I didn't want to deal with the gravity while I was trying to build, I went up to space. But there are pirates flitting around the edges of my sector that I'm not equipped to hunt down yet, so I went to another, empty sector.

Bad news is, apparently pirates can either follow you across sectors, or spawn in empty sectors. Either way, my under-construction ship is getting chunks taken out of it every time I have to leave to get more parts. :(

Is there any way to salvage this situation? I tried slapping some missiles on my one working ship, but it's woefully unprepared for the task of actual face-to-face combat. Right now I'm thinking I could just dart in, grab a blueprint of the ship-so-far, and give up on trying to save the blocks. :mad:

Corollary question: what would a safe space to build ships be? Do I need a space station for that?

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

AirborneNinja posted:

The shop you first started at should be in a protected sector. Pirates shouldnt attack you there.

Party Alarm posted:

Home base + dock on said home base is a good way to do that.

Welp! Long story short, I solved my pirate problem, and along the way I learned plenty about weapon linking, AI turrets, and... love? Thanks for the tips, goons!

On the down side, my first few tastes of combat make it seem very... unsatisfying. Even the rinky-dink little Izanths the pirates are flying seem to take forever to die, and that's with the AIs aiming - when I try it I can barely land a hit in the first place. :shrug: Any tips for Babby's First Pirate Hunting Ship?

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
It probably took way more time than it should have, but I rigged up a landing ramp on my giant UFO. I can hit a button and three different layers of blocks drop down out of the front and descend to flush with ground level. Now I just need a red carpet... :kimchi:

Now I just need to find an elegant way to lower the ramp if it's closed and I'm trapped on the outside of the ship. Wireless Activation Module, I guess? Maybe hidden behind a Plex Door, so it's not garishly obvious on my otherwise unblemished hull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Also, that flying city ship owns. Really makes me wish we could put factories of vessels and just have a mobile base.

...hey, yeah, why can't we do that? I was real disappointed when I realized I wouldn't be able to make my salvager double as a flying refinery / Paint Production Emporium. Space Lowe's, if you will. :3:

Also, how's the Goon Server looking these days? Thinking I might be done with Single Player some day soon...

• Locked thread