Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hello. the title is deceptive, i didn't 'lose' a dog, and it wasn't mine.

me and my live-in girlfriend broke up like a year ago and she left her dog with me with the understanding at some point she would come pick him up. i didn't mind watching him for the duration, he was a good dog who i loved a lot and had spent a lot of time with. he was a yorkie-pekingese mix and i think in his mind he was a very large scary dog (he was not). me and my ex didn't really talk after the moving out process was done and i justsort of figured she would pick him up after a week or two.

i lived alone with my dog in a pretty decent sized apartment (i am told my fish does not count). i think he was happy and i had just made him a bunch of pillows out of some fabric i had that he seemed to really enjoy trying to blend in with. i am not a very mentally healthy person and there are a lot of days where the only interaction i had was with him.

well, that didn't happen, and i had him for somewhere around 10 months or something. i had little to no contact with my ex during this time, and for the most part i forgot he wasn't my pet. i absorbed all of the costs involved with having a dog and i also gave him a stocking on christmas, which he seemed very confused by and went back to trying to rub his body against various furniture pieces. he was very good at throwing toys at himself, but if i threw his toys he would usually look at me with a look of genuine hurt, as if to say 'that was my thing. why did you throw it?' i am sorry. i thought you wanted me to.

yesterday, my ex texted me and told me she was coming to pick him up. she showed up like 20 minutes later and took my dog away. i never really had any intention of stopping her from taking him; in my head he was indisputably her dog, despite how much i loved him or the duration of time that passed. it just sucks a lot that for a lot of the last year he was pretty much my only source of stability and i'm literally never going to see him again. i keep thinking i'll see him come out of a room in my apartment or something and he doesn't obviously because he does not live here anymore. i had like twenty minutes to say goodbye and even then i thought i had more because she lives like two hours away.

i miss my dog. he was a good dog and now i will never see him again and i am sad. thank you for reading these words and i hope an ex partner does not come take your dog away, or if they do i hope you deal with it better than i am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think you might be at a place in your life where it's a good idea to get your own dog.It does suck to loose a friend, and I know you're probably thinking, 'I can't get a dog, no dog will be like THAT awesome dog". And that's right. No dog is going to be like other dog. And that's okay, every person and dog are their own entity. But you might want to look into getting a shelter or rescue dog. You've proven that you can at least handle the fiscal responsibilities, as well as identifying and appreciating a dog's personal differences.

Shop around (shelters and rescues). I think you'll be able to find a new best friend. You sound like to need one. Did you particularly like little dogs, or have any preference to size or breed?

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
I think it's a really healthy thing to realize you have room in your heart to love more than one 'best friend'. It's really sad and really lovely what your ex did, but it sounds like at least they are a responsible owner, at least you didn't say anything negative about their treatment of the dog, so the dog won't be in a bad situation. I bet you the dog misses you too, but will adjust and be happy in the new old life again.

Anyways, take some time if you need it to feel the loss, but no one would bat an eye if you started the process right away of finding a dog to call your own. Once an animal crawls into that spot in your heart, you find there's always room next to it for another animal who needs a good home.

• Locked thread