Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Colon Semicolon posted:

I think my favorite artist insert has gotta be Nihei Tsutomu. It certainly makes sense that he's a beetle in a hoody, what with the range of terrifying things he draws.

The biggest mystery is why they didn't translate it to Knights of Sidonia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Reiley posted:

This is an easy subject to misinterpret, it's little effort to cast oneself as the victim of culture gone wild. At the heart of it "precensorship" means "don't be a loving idiot". and if you find yourself thinking about or saying words like PC Police, for example, you're standing on the precipice of becoming another loving idiot.

Rod Serling uses an episode of Lassie as an example, but you should be very careful about comparing whatever you're making to Lassie. The world is a bigger place than it was when Lassie was airing, and it's vital to keep in mind the breadth of people who might encounter your stories and how the choices you make might impact them. The things you make do not exist in a cultural void, and it's important to keep in mind how they might ripple the waters around them when they make a splash.

I read an interesting opinion about this sort of thing as a response to the recent Jerry Seinfeld PC Police thing that applies to all entertainment I think. The gist of it was that it's not the audience's responsibility to like/get/laugh at/be entertained by/understand your art/comedy/story/whatever, it's your job as an artist/comedian/author to get the audience there, and if you do the legwork to understand your audience and take them along on the journey with you and build context, you can do whatever you want but you have to work for it and make it worth their time and be willing to learn and grow. There are no absolutes in entertainment or storytelling that work 100% of the time for everyone, it's your job as a creator to balance between "purity" of intent (whatever that means) and understanding the audience that you're trying to reach with your work.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Rincewind posted:

A magnificent forums own goal.

All my favorite threads are absolute clusterfucks right now

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Scribblehatch posted:

Yar.

I must refer back to the first post of this page. The Bruce Lee quote. Honestly I'm taken aback by the attitude these forums have. A friend recommended I get an account here and I thought "Sure." But I keep running into heated inquisition, when I'm just bantering.

In PMs I told someone this sorta thing only happens on Something Awful.

I think the lack of hugbox and occasional grilling to push you to do better and/or post better is the price you have to be willing to pay to also not get mobbed by weird DA types (the kind that are pedophiles, the furries, and the kind that witch hunt at the drop of a hat) and creeps; hugboxes aren't known for pushing people to do better art