Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Oh so that's your secret.
Yeah, I read that script years back and have been hype for that film ever since. I only even bought into it on pure faith, some weird show of support, but drat did that pay off.

That said, whoever pointed out how low Mission Impossible 6(? I think) was a couple months back also deserves some of the credit, because holy poo poo how the hell was that movie down at like H$60 at one point? That's just crazy talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I maxed out Zootopia the day it IPO'd at $40.

I'm pretty happy right now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

NICE. I'm down 2+ million on the second Lego movie, for some reason, I know it's gonna pay off but it sure does hurt right now.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The Star Wars Episode 7 blockbuster warrant cashed out today, and I was relieved to find out I didn't misunderstand how warrants work.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Baronash posted:

The Star Wars Episode 7 blockbuster warrant cashed out today, and I was relieved to find out I didn't misunderstand how warrants work.
Christ, I was about to ask how in the name of almighty gently caress you hit a 30+% gain in one day.

You lucky bastard, I was right on your rear end until then too.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Penny stocks: :getin:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Indy 5 up $13 w/60k shares and Allegiant up $11 w/100k shares :tipshat:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Efexeye posted:

Indy 5 up $13 w/60k shares and Allegiant up $11 w/100k shares :tipshat:

Yeah, I've got about 40k shares in Indy 5, and Allegiant being up would be great if I hadn't invested in it at 108. :cripes:

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Baronash posted:

Pretty much always buy the blockbuster warrants. They're a great high reward/low risk option.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Do Star Bonds exist for any reason other than to funnel money to active players? Investing in them almost feels like cheating.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah, you basically nailed it. StarBonds are one step above Blockbuster Warrants: they're free money but only for those willing to do the work.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Anyone know why Deadpool 2 might be cratering? It's gone from $225 to $203 in the last 48 hours.

Also, Zootopia has a blockbuster warrant up today for $225m, and it looks like it's on pace to top that by the middle of this weekend. In other words, free money.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CRINDY posted:

Anyone know why Deadpool 2 might be cratering? It's gone from $225 to $203 in the last 48 hours.
Short-term investors looking for the post-release sequel price jump are starting to sell it off. Gotta put those dollars to work!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Tetsuo, what led to the 16% gain yesterday? That was drat impressive.

e: Hey, the league passed 1 billion!

Baronash fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 25, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Baronash posted:

Tetsuo, what led to the 16% gain yesterday? That was drat impressive.
I literally just logged in today and saw that. I'm p sure it's Doc Savage, which I bought at $1.31 on a whim and is now at $12.31. I genuinely don't know if I should bail now that I've made $1.1 million off it or just ride this bad boy out. I'm leaning toward the latter because what the hell, even if it drops I doubt it'll drop below where I started.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're playing to compete, my advice is to sell it and put the gains into something else with a guaranteed good rate of return. If the movie isn't coming out for a while, people will sell off the stock and you'll end up losing a big chunk of the windfall profit. You can always pick it back up later when the price is down to $5 or whatever, and you'll have made a ton of money off of other stuff in the meantime.

E: I don't mean sell right away. You could hang onto it for a couple more days to see if the price creeps a little higher before falling.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 25, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
HSX is still a thing? Holy hell, I think I learned about it in High School during the late 90s, thanks to Film Freak Leo Quinones' radio show.

I should log back in to my old account and see how my stocks in Ahnuld's Doc Savage movie are doing. :cry:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it just me, or is Alice Through the Looking Glass extremely undervalued at 140? The original made 300 million in its first 4 weeks of release.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It's not just you!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Some crazy good gains today:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Looks like we still have new people joining which is awesome. I haven't been sending out prizes because my wife switched jobs and we don't get $6 movie tickets any more. I'll send out a prize at the end of the year based on who's got the most wins.

fisty won january
tetsuo won february
baronash won march and april

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jesus christ

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I've been riding that thing since it IPO'd in the 40s and it has been very profitable. Nothing pays off in HSX like investing in animation, they always launch really low and almost always overperform

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CRINDY posted:

I've been riding that thing since it IPO'd in the 40s and it has been very profitable. Nothing pays off in HSX like investing in animation, they always launch really low and almost always overperform

horror, too.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

NEMO2 is going to mint money. I'm up 8 mil on it already :smug:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

So I've got 23 million in cash after PETS cashed out. What do you guys think of Suicide Squad? Review embargo is up in half an hour...and there's nothing worth playing until Jack Reacher 2

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Suicide Squad's OW is probably undervalued by at least a couple million despite the mediocre reviews. I'm going all in on its opening derivatives. Hard to tell how it will do past opening weekend, but the current moviestock price falls right in the middle of my personal predictions.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Incidentally, the standings so far are:

January- Fisty
February- Tetsuo
March, April- Baronash
May- Unyu
June- Miching Mallecho
July- Unyu

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I wish my summer gave me the time to play this. Seems like summer blockbusters are where it's at.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Good month so far!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Between today's starbond adjusts and yesterday's derivative cashouts for Don't Breathe, I might be looking at H$5 million in gains this week.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Between today's starbond adjusts and yesterday's derivative cashouts for Don't Breathe, I might be looking at H$5 million in gains this week.

drat son

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the studio funds were delisted yesterday like they do every year. They'll be reset and relisted next week at $20 a share if I'm not mistaken. I encourage everyone, especially more passive players, to pick them up as they'll provide your portfolio with a constant trickle of value throughout the year.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else get in on Mads Mikkelsen? or is the 20k shares too low $ for you fatcats? I think he's gonna be a great way to turn 200k into two million for noobs without a lot of cash. I've been doing this strategy with ppl like John C Reilly who dropped really low. Is this a good strat? Ethan Hawke, Donnie Yen...

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 15, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starbonds are what I make most of my money on. For me, there is no such thing as "too low $", only "too low rate of return". All those bonds you named are solid picks with good outlooks over the next 6 months or so. Also check out Forest Whitaker, Christina Hendricks, and Ron Perlman. Just make sure you know when to sell! If you're looking to play more actively, there are several websites out there that will help you manage starbonds.

On top of starbonds and other planned investments, I also like to ride the penny stock roller coaster. Movies in development often have day-to-day price changes that are small in terms of dollar amounts involved, but big in terms of percent gains. So I buy low (say, $0.25/share), sell when the price spikes 40-50% (to $0.35/share), then buy again when the price drops a week later. One big spike (to $1.50) on a single stock will cover a month's worth of losses to random noise on all the penny stocks I'm holding. Occasionally, one of these movies will get a release date and I'll hang onto it forever to keep racking up profit on that tiny initial investment.

One last thing, the studio funds are now up and selling for :10bux: not $20!

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im in Disney, Fox, Lionsgate. and the Sci-fi fund. These are great. Bradley Cooper is also a big one right now (well about two weeks ago). up 7% in a week. When is the best time to get out? Like when GotG 2 is released, does Bradley Coopers TAG get adjusted that day or does it take a few weeks? I'm pretty much only looking at stars that will triple. Forest looks like He'll double. if i'm correct about this: Star Wars is at $415m, but as far as it counts for TAG its maxed at $250 right? That'd put his at somewhere between 80-90m in December.

I hope I'm calculating all of these right and haven't just been getting lucky. :)

Thanks for tip on Christina too, that should be a 4x profit.

Actually, let's use Ethan Hawke as the example. Magnificent Seven comes out friday. When will his TAG be updated? (prob good $ from movie)
His next movie in Oct actually has a higher price than the one it would knock off of the TAG, but not much so I'm not worried about having to get out quickly. Do you wait until the stock is really close to TAG?

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 19, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ButtWolf posted:

Bradley Cooper is also a big one right now (well about two weeks ago). up 7% in a week. When is the best time to get out? Like when GotG 2 is released, does Bradley Coopers TAG get adjusted that day or does it take a few weeks?
TAGs get adjusted the day after the moviestock delists, which is the first business day (Monday, or Tuesday when Monday's a holiday) after the movie's fourth weekend in wide release, or 12th weekend in limited release if it never goes wide. So on Tuesday (or Wednesday), the starbond prices adjust to account for the delist price of the moviestock. In GotG2's case, release date is May 5th and adjust date is May 31.

Bradley Cooper's starbond is actually a relatively weak long-term investment. You're going to have a positive return, but it's small when you account for the number of days you have to hold the starbond before it adjusts. If you want to make real money on that movie, take a look at Kurt Russell. His TAG is going to blow up next May because he's in GotG2 and Fast 8. (Note that he's also in this year's Deepwater Horizon, which will likely nudge his current TAG down a couple dollars when it adjusts. Timing is important.)

quote:

Forest looks like He'll double. if i'm correct about this: Star Wars is at $415m, but as far as it counts for TAG its maxed at $250 right? That'd put his at somewhere between 80-90m in December.
You're right about the $250m max. Forest is also in Arrival, which is going to push his TAG up a bit more than you're currently calculating for Rogue Squadron, which adjusts in mid January.

quote:

Actually, let's use Ethan Hawke as the example. Magnificent Seven comes out friday. When will his TAG be updated? (prob good $ from movie) His next movie in Oct actually has a higher price than the one it would knock off of the TAG, but not much so I'm not worried about having to get out quickly. Do you wait until the stock is really close to TAG?
Ethan's starbond adjusts on October 18th. His next movie is going to be a limited release that will nudge his TAG up a couple cents if you're willing to hold it until January. I'll sell the starbond immediately after the October 18th adjust and put the money into something more profitable. No sense in holding onto it longer than that; it will either slowly bleed value or stagnate for months, neither of which does me any good.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TAGs get adjusted the day after the moviestock delists, which is the first business day (Monday, or Tuesday when Monday's a holiday) after the movie's fourth weekend in wide release, or 12th weekend in limited release if it never goes wide. So on Tuesday (or Wednesday), the starbond prices adjust to account for the delist price of the moviestock. In GotG2's case, release date is May 5th and adjust date is May 31.

Bradley Cooper's starbond is actually a relatively weak long-term investment. You're going to have a positive return, but it's small when you account for the number of days you have to hold the starbond before it adjusts. If you want to make real money on that movie, take a look at Kurt Russell. His TAG is going to blow up next May because he's in GotG2 and Fast 8. (Note that he's also in this year's Deepwater Horizon, which will likely nudge his current TAG down a couple dollars when it adjusts. Timing is important.)

You're right about the $250m max. Forest is also in Arrival, which is going to push his TAG up a bit more than you're currently calculating for Rogue Squadron, which adjusts in mid January.

Ethan's starbond adjusts on October 18th. His next movie is going to be a limited release that will nudge his TAG up a couple cents if you're willing to hold it until January. I'll sell the starbond immediately after the October 18th adjust and put the money into something more profitable. No sense in holding onto it longer than that; it will either slowly bleed value or stagnate for months, neither of which does me any good.

It'll be roughly an $800k profit for holding onto Cooper so it's fine. Ill start using any won money to dump into Russell and use anything like Magnificent Sevens delist and sell of Ethan Hawke to buy in. That should net roughly $2.8mil on a $1.5m investment. So yeah, thats exciting.

Also, I know it's long gain, but I think shorting Liam Hemsworth is gonna be a 8x profit. Its super forecasty but I don't see him doing anything in the near future other than inconsequential movies that'll bump Hunger Games out. Since he is so high right now, it'll cost ~3.5m. If you like risks i think this is the risk. There's almost no way he gets any higher, so it's only a risk in tying up your money really.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Just got into this game. Why is Angry Birds 2 going down rapidly?

• Locked thread