Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds pretty fun! e: Thanks for the invite

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

drat Fisty, that was a close one.

Was that from Mad Max, something else, a combination of things?

That was from the Mad Max 5 IPO gaining 15% overnight plus a small Genisys bubble as everyone realized it was coming out in a few days. I have 10,000 shares so I hope it does well.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got a couple hundred thousand in long-term investments, but most of my money is in short-term stuff. It's just more fun and interesting when you're making big bets on blockbusters and fooling around with IPOs for a quick buck.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Congrats on the 12% gain Fisty. Was that from the Minions Call cashout?
You got it! First correct bet I've made all month.

I'm all in on the Antman Call at $65m. Should be easy to beat that with no real competition opening this week, Jurassic World winding down, and Genisys still in the toilet. Then again, no one I know is going to see it, so it's not a sure thing by any means.

Trainwreck could go either way given that the reviews are pretty good for a comedy. I'm leaning towards Put, but will probably pass on it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Minions BW is pure gold. Also the Pixels Put is still trading, get it before it's locked for the weekend!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mechanical question: If a BW is trading below current box office actual and I buy it, will I get the difference between purchase price and box office when it cashes out? The reason I ask is that there are a couple big BWs (lol) that are significantly below box office right now and the free money seems too good to be true.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Jurassic World BW is precisely what I'm talking about, thanks for the clarification.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tell me how crazy I am.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What happens when a shorted derivative cashes out?

I think I get (short price) - (cashout value). So if I short an OW at $55 and it cashes out at $40, I make $15. Similarly, Calls and Puts that fail cash out at $0 so I get the short price per share. I can't actually confirm this is how it works, but I'm gaining portfolio value as the price for the shorted MISS5 OW and Call drops so it's a pretty good guess.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like I'm going to start off the new league with a loss. M:I5 made 20m yesterday.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are two reasons you would want to sell a stock you're holding:
1. You think the price will fall and not recover (This also includes overvalued stock, i.e. you think the film won't make the price at the box office before it delists.)
2. You want the cash for short-term trades that will net you a higher rate of return in the long run than just holding the stock until it delists. E.g. instead of holding a stock for three months with a estimated 30% return on investment after delist, you decide to sell it and use the cash to buy a bunch of undervalued BWs that will cash out in a month for a 100% ROI. This is especially important to consider because you can reinvest those gains into more BWs (or bonds, or arb stocks, or opening weekend derivatives) in the remaining two months that it would be tied up in stock.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Dang Fisty how'd you pull that off?

I found some good StarBonds. Lots of cash to be made if you can figure out when they'll adjust.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was going to make this exact play :negative:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah that Jurassic World BW was pretty frickin' sweet :homebrew:

e: and next week is Inside Out :homebrew:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks, PM sent.

I thought for sure you were going to catch me on the last day, Sebadoh. Can't wait to see how this thing plays out this month.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How did I not notice that double entendre before now?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got my prize for last month over the weekend. Thanks again, Efexeye!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
They found water on Mars and now the movie's ruined.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CRINDY posted:

Crossed the $100m in fake money mark today! Couldn't have done it without this group making me gain interest in the game again.

Also couldn't have done it without shorting every single movie coming out this weekend. I made a million off Paranormal when it went from $22 to $29 and now I get to make even more as it goes from $29 to $22!

Congrats on joining the 9 digit club! What was your net worth when you started playing in this league?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those are some seriously sick gains. How long were you holding onto The Martian?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Exciting news, everyone! Miyamoto Musashi is now on top in league gains. I'm not a shoe-in to win this month!

I'm actually doing pretty poorly because it's a slow month for StarBonds. October was really disappointing at the box office, so all the movies and stars delisting now are giving me tiny gains every week.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Musashi, what's your secret man?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

A few things.

1. Load up on lots of movie funds. They're not too expensive and almost guaranteed to grow over time. When you have a bunch of them, it adds up.

2. Blockbuster warrants seem almost guaranteed to get you money for a cheap investment. I don't think I've lost money on one yet.

3. Be on the lookout for good IPOs. I made a couple million off Ant-Man 2 a couple weeks ago when it started out at H$80 and jumped to almost H$120....given that the original made $180,000,000, you know the sequel is going to be comparable. Just made a good profit off Gigantic a day or so ago. Given that it's a Disney retelling of a fairy tale and directed by the guy that did Tangled...well, Tangled did pretty well, I recall. So $H60 seemed low and sure enough, it's up to over $H70 right now.

Efexeye, do you need a mailing address from me?

Cool, thanks. I haven't looked into movie funds but I will now. I agree that BWs are great and everyone should buy max shares for each one on the day they debut.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's at least one website out there dedicated to making StarBond picking really easy. It's fairly easy to find, so...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Betting REAL big on Star Wars this weekend. Hope all the predictions for the film breaking records are true.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
No worries! That you're giving out prizes for a free, fun thing to do is icing on the cake, really.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally understand what you mean when you say the more money you have, the harder it is to make money. I've gained ~15 million net worth this month, and the limitations of my hugely profitable StarBond strategy are starting to become apparent. In order to maintain the same percentage of value within my portfolio, I would have had to start buying up bonds that were projected to do under 1.5% daily ROI, and that's after grabbing everything that's more highly valued until next August.

So instead I rebought 20,000 shares of Star Wars in the hopes that there's a little more gains to be had before its value levels off for good.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My portfolio hit $50 million today :toot:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
AwardOptions are now trading, in case anyone wants to bet big on Oscar winners.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CRINDY posted:

The Cellar aka Valencia aka 10 Cloverfield Lane is at 87 percent growth today.

(Really glad I was up late enough to see everyone flip a poo poo over the trailer and pick it up. :smug:)

:hfive:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TetsuoTW posted:

Sitting here feeling pretty smug for having bought in on Deadpool at an average of H$115 :c00lbert:

Also sitting here feeling like a dumbass for only having bought like 4000 shares in it. :smith:

Oh so that's your secret.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Penny stocks: :getin:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah, you basically nailed it. StarBonds are one step above Blockbuster Warrants: they're free money but only for those willing to do the work.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CRINDY posted:

Anyone know why Deadpool 2 might be cratering? It's gone from $225 to $203 in the last 48 hours.
Short-term investors looking for the post-release sequel price jump are starting to sell it off. Gotta put those dollars to work!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're playing to compete, my advice is to sell it and put the gains into something else with a guaranteed good rate of return. If the movie isn't coming out for a while, people will sell off the stock and you'll end up losing a big chunk of the windfall profit. You can always pick it back up later when the price is down to $5 or whatever, and you'll have made a ton of money off of other stuff in the meantime.

E: I don't mean sell right away. You could hang onto it for a couple more days to see if the price creeps a little higher before falling.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 25, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it just me, or is Alice Through the Looking Glass extremely undervalued at 140? The original made 300 million in its first 4 weeks of release.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Suicide Squad's OW is probably undervalued by at least a couple million despite the mediocre reviews. I'm going all in on its opening derivatives. Hard to tell how it will do past opening weekend, but the current moviestock price falls right in the middle of my personal predictions.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Between today's starbond adjusts and yesterday's derivative cashouts for Don't Breathe, I might be looking at H$5 million in gains this week.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the studio funds were delisted yesterday like they do every year. They'll be reset and relisted next week at $20 a share if I'm not mistaken. I encourage everyone, especially more passive players, to pick them up as they'll provide your portfolio with a constant trickle of value throughout the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starbonds are what I make most of my money on. For me, there is no such thing as "too low $", only "too low rate of return". All those bonds you named are solid picks with good outlooks over the next 6 months or so. Also check out Forest Whitaker, Christina Hendricks, and Ron Perlman. Just make sure you know when to sell! If you're looking to play more actively, there are several websites out there that will help you manage starbonds.

On top of starbonds and other planned investments, I also like to ride the penny stock roller coaster. Movies in development often have day-to-day price changes that are small in terms of dollar amounts involved, but big in terms of percent gains. So I buy low (say, $0.25/share), sell when the price spikes 40-50% (to $0.35/share), then buy again when the price drops a week later. One big spike (to $1.50) on a single stock will cover a month's worth of losses to random noise on all the penny stocks I'm holding. Occasionally, one of these movies will get a release date and I'll hang onto it forever to keep racking up profit on that tiny initial investment.

One last thing, the studio funds are now up and selling for :10bux: not $20!

• Locked thread