Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm buying a house. I'm excited. I talked to my wife and we're agreed on what to use the different rooms for. Shopping list:

Master bedroom
- Drawers
- Bed frame

Craft room
- No idea this poo poo is my wife's

Home office
- Enough room for like 4-6 people to set up computers if needed

Guest Bedroom
- Queen bed

Dining Room
- Table, chairs

Den/Living room
- Bigass couch thing, TV stand, daybed

I consider myself to be a bit of an Ikea expert when it comes to storage items, but some of the options for desks and poo poo is just too expensive if I want wall to wall galant/bekant desks. So I'm looking for alternate solutions. Problem is I know just about fuckall about dining room tables, chairs, couches, desks, etc.. The expensive stuff. What are some cheaper but still high quality options? What kind of stuff should I consider about furniture when I'm not just buying shelving units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
The cheaper options would be buying used furniture off of Craigslist or thrift stores.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

If you're thinking Ikea is too expensive, high quality is not an option. There's not much cheaper than Ikea and it's all garbage.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

signalnoise posted:

What are some cheaper but still high quality options?
Used furniture. Start hunting yard sales, swap meets, flea markets, estate sales, and online. A lot of people get rid of nice used stuff for cheap simply because they have no place to store it. If you're up to the task of doing some work on whatever you buy that expands your options significantly.

If you do the above: Don't get caught up in bidding bullshit.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Look for trading/barter groups on facebook in your area. I got a microfiber couch, display table, lamps and a nice credenza for either nothing or trading items I no longer wanted.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

I consider myself to be a bit of an Ikea expert when it comes to storage items, but some of the options for desks and poo poo is just too expensive if I want wall to wall galant/bekant desks. So I'm looking for alternate solutions. Problem is I know just about fuckall about dining room tables, chairs, couches, desks, etc.. The expensive stuff. What are some cheaper but still high quality options? What kind of stuff should I consider about furniture when I'm not just buying shelving units?

You want high quality but cheap? The only option is to buy used, at estate sales or on craigslist. Often people are just looking to get rid of things and aren't trying to get the best price.

Or, forget about high quality and go to Walmart.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Craigslist it is!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
try searching for freecyle + your town. Sometimes you can get some decent stuff for free from people who are moving or changing furniture.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Same as buying anything, really. Talk to your wife and look at stuff online and in ads--what's your price range? What style appeals most to you? Are you okay with mixing and matching colors and patterns ("Early Marriageacana"), or do you want uniform sets? Are either of you into restoring banged up pieces from garage sales? There are tons of borderline-sketchy furniture stores with great prices if you're willing to hunt around. Those places can be haggled down a fair deal if you know the competition's offerings, and moreso if you're willing to pay a lump sum and not financing.

I got a bed frame from Costco pretty cheaply and mounted it to a $200 padded headboard from American Mattress. The fancy all-in-ones from Ashley Furniture are ridiculously expensive, and footboards take up precious room space and are a magnet for toes. Non-solid headboards are pretty, but lack functionality if you want to lean against them and read.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can you tell if furniture actually is high quality? I've seen stuff that seemed solidly built with a huge price tag from a high end store -- but started to go after a year; and I've had some cheap stuff from Costco last almost a decade and was still as comfortable as it was new.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chuu posted:

How can you tell if furniture actually is high quality? I've seen stuff that seemed solidly built with a huge price tag from a high end store -- but started to go after a year; and I've had some cheap stuff from Costco last almost a decade and was still as comfortable as it was new.

This.

Just buy Ikea, for now, because high-quality furniture is expensive as poo poo these days and has zero guarantee it will last any longer than Ikea. Especially don't buy expensive furniture because you want it to become an heirloom you pass on to your kids/grandkids. Times have changed, and no one wants your old-rear end furniture anymore. A woman getting a "hope chest" would probably punch you in the taint these days.

When you're settled and have more money, you can slowly start to piece together a set of better quality furniture. Your tastes will likely have changed and matured a bit as well, so there's no point in blowing a wad on high-quality stuff now that you may hate in five years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Especially don't buy expensive furniture because you want it to become an heirloom you pass on to your kids/grandkids. Times have changed, and no one wants your old-rear end furniture anymore. A woman getting a "hope chest" would probably punch you in the taint these days.

My parents called me one day when I was newly married to tell me that their friends had offered us a matching oak dining room/living room set. They were replacing it with something more modern, and it was free to me if I picked it up.

I picked it up, and it was hideous. An affront to all tastes. It was a 70's dining room set in a Southwest/Santa Fe style with rounded edges, concho design inlay, and all done in pink and beige. I sold it all to some dude on craigslist for $100 and put that towards a table that belonged in this century.

The idea that all Ikea stuff is crappy, laminated cardboard is simply not true. The $80 dining set with 4 chairs probably is. The more expensive stuff there is of similar quality to regular furniture store stuff at about half the price (and you don't have to participate in the furniture store haggling ritual). If you get into the really trendy modern stuff, it's like 10% of the cost of something similar from design within reach.

Example: Ikea has a solid unfinished beech crib for under $100. I defy you to find an all-wood crib at that price. We bought some solid pine unfinished kids bunkbeds at Ikea for $150. You can paint/stain/wax or do whatever to either of those.

Costco has great furniture too. Selection is limited, and their return policy is famously good.

Why do you need 4-6 people set up on computers? Are you running a WoW gold farm, or is this an occasional LAN party thing?
If it's the latter, pick up a folding banquet table or two. Those are also really handy in a craft room to pull out if needed (if the wife sews, you cannot have too much table space. For the embroidery machine, serger, the one sewing machine that does really great running stitches, the one that does denim and upholstery, a cutting mat....)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Why do you need 4-6 people set up on computers? Are you running a WoW gold farm, or is this an occasional LAN party thing?
If it's the latter, pick up a folding banquet table or two. Those are also really handy in a craft room to pull out if needed (if the wife sews, you cannot have too much table space. For the embroidery machine, serger, the one sewing machine that does really great running stitches, the one that does denim and upholstery, a cutting mat....)

Occasional lan party thing.

I dunno I'm coming around to just furnishing it all with Ikea but with some non-Ikea accents that make it not look like an Ikea showroom.

I don't get your obsession with pine though. Pine is soft as hell in my experience and splits.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Go with IKEA. Its the cheapest way to get a coherent look to your place and you don't have to worry about bed bugs or mysterious stains like you would with used furniture.

Another option to IKEA is finding a place that sells old showhome furniture. I'd pay attention to the quality as YMMV, my parents used to do that all the time and I've seen stuff fall apart after 6 months while other stuff lasted quite a while.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Chuu posted:

Pay attention to the quality of the material and the quality of the jointing, overall structural solidness and level of craftsmanship. A lot of the fancy-looking furniture you see at high-end stores (replica or contemporary) is secretly not that well-made and might not even be real wood (or it's lovely wood/ply with veneer on it). At least with Ikea, they tell you when it's made out of particleboard and price it accordingly. So basically, look for solid wood construction (if you're buying wood furniture), good jointing (i.e. dovetail jointing of the drawers), and good quality wood throughout (oak, maple, cherry, and walnut are good bets - pine is much softer and shows scratches and dents more easily, in my experience). Upholstered stuff like couches is kind of a mixed bag because you can't see how it's built, but if it has a good frame and a form factor you like, you can always just reupholster when it starts looking worn out. I nabbed my great grandfather's wing back chairs from my grandma's house - no one else wanted them because they were "gross", even though they were absolutely exquisite. Only gross thing about them was the worn out, faded old lady upholstery that smelled like cigarettes. A new upholstery job fixed them right up. Your loss, aunts.

So yeah, at the end of the day, if you want nice furniture, go vintage/antique (it's not all froufrou Victorian - lots of early-mid 20th century furniture styles are surprisingly modern-looking). Otherwise, Ikea is actually pretty great for the price.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Especially don't buy expensive furniture because you want it to become an heirloom you pass on to your kids/grandkids. Times have changed, and no one wants your old-rear end furniture anymore. A woman getting a "hope chest" would probably punch you in the taint these days.

Excuse me. :colbert: My parents' old-rear end furniture is awesome and I can't wait to inherit it. Some of it's been in the family for a super long time, too (I guess I'm lucky that my great/great great grandparents had good taste).

However, I agree that it's a terrible idea to buy furniture for the express purpose of having it be an heirloom. Just buy good furniture for you/your house and if your kids like it, free furniture for them. Having poo poo you don't like foisted off on you because it's "heirloom" is the worst. And hope chests can gently caress right off.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
If you go to a big furniture store bring cash and offer them about %40 of the sticker price.

*this does not apply to IKEA

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the reply AuthenticYou.

I'm about an 1.5 hours away from a lot of Amish marketplaces in Indiana. People have told me that it's worth a roadtrip to get really good quality stuff at a fair price -- but I don't know anyone who has actually done it. Anyone know the truth of this?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

For a home office for 4-5 people, one option is to buy shelving/cabinets from Ikea and just folding tables from Walmart for the actual desks. It isn't fancy by any means, but it's cheap, easy, and simple to replace when your budget allows for it. I work from home and my "desk" is a 6 foot folding table from walmart with some filing cabinets - I never have clients here so how it looks is irrelevant to me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chuu posted:

Thanks for the reply AuthenticYou.

I'm about an 1.5 hours away from a lot of Amish marketplaces in Indiana. People have told me that it's worth a roadtrip to get really good quality stuff at a fair price -- but I don't know anyone who has actually done it. Anyone know the truth of this?

Amish stuff is amazing quality, but they're not dumb. They're stuff is some of the most expensive furniture you can buy.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Amish stuff is amazing quality, but they're not dumb. They're stuff is some of the most expensive furniture you can buy.

Was doing a little more research based on this response. The prices don't seem that unreasonable to me -- a solid wood task desk for $600 after reseller's markup is about what I would expect from someone like Herman Millar for a similar desk. The next time I'm driving through I'll have to check it out and see what the prices are like without the reseller's markup.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I have an aversion to IKEA - mostly because, as I've recently found out, it seems almost impossible to sell anything but IKEA to other students/postdocs when you move on because it's the "default" cheap/temporary furniture option in everyone's minds. Where I am though, IKEA was barely less, or occasionally more, than the higher quality alternatives. For example, my sofa I got for my apartment is a very nice and comfortable modular sofa, and I got it for just around 1000 CHF including delivery. There is a range of course, but just picking an example at ikea, a sofa of similar size was roughly 800, but was made of that scratchy foam-filled nylon stuff on metal pegs that looked like it'd scratch up my floor and just wasn't comfortable, and you had to pay for delivery. Same deal for my bed - the equivalent at ikea was roughly the same price when you add in delivery costs, but not made of real wood and looked a bit flimsy.

I think if it's for a house rather than an apartment it's worth the investment to get something more permanent. I think you could avoid the "more expensive but falls apart just as fast as ikea" traps through just a little research. I'd just set a budget for each item you need and find the best one available for that price - maybe it'll end up being something on craigslist, maybe ikea, maybe some amish made thing, who knows, I guess it'll depend on how much you have/want to spend.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My wife and I are looking for new living room furniture, and we're really torn on the whole quality thing. While most of our house is vintage wood stuff, our living room is pretty mix and match from our younger days. We've checked out Ethan Allen and all those types of stores, but it just seems like too much money for what they're offering. Ikea would be fine but we really want quality. Most of all, we don't want to go finding new chairs and a sofa on Craigslist etc. right now. So, is all the Ikea stuff really poo poo? Is there anywhere that has high durability for relatively low cost? Why do furniture stores suck so bad?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I like room and board but it's $$$$$. All solid materials and made in the USA.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

If budget is an issue, get of Craigslist and do up yourself with a little varnish etc. But don't buy cheap. It's not worth it in the long run.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I just decorated an entire house (I moved from divorce with almost no furniture) with 90% IKEA furniture and lighting, and I couldn't be happier. They have almost everything you need in a home, and it's so well put together and thought through. Stuff matches both aesthetically and functionally. You get what you pay for, and still the prices are extremely low compared to fancy designer furniture stores. I also bought towels, curtains, kitchen utensils, carpets, glassware, you name it. Just steer clear of certain things, such as their cheap kitchen knives for example, and I personally also wouldn't buy their white goods.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
A lot of Ikea stuff is actually pretty good. Their sitting furniture isn't comfortable in my experience though, nor is it really all that cheap. Like a recliner/couch from a regular furniture store is way more comfortable than the stuff they have for the same price.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Another vote for "Ikea is great if you're poor". I had a gorgeous and expensive partial white wicker furniture set, but couldn't find a decent matching white computer table for the life of me. Either they were Walmart-tier garbage (made the mistake of buying a Sauder Home piece at first that literally fell apart days after I bought it) or expensive stuff. IKEA had a corner table for 70 bucks. The surprising part is that for its price range, its quality stuff. The particle board is surprisingly solid, without the slightest wobble no matter how much I bang into/abuse it, and despite being white it hasn't picked up a single stain from drinks spilled on it. Really impressed.

Also seconding old estate auctions. Me and my friend raided a house owned by someone who used to work at NASA and came away with two gorgeous antique headboards worth at least $2k. Mine isn't white to match the rest of my bedroom, but for $100 bucks I'm not complaining.

The secret is to go to auctions or yard sales in middle to upper-class communities filled with old people. Seniors take great care of their stuff. Often they pass on, their kids don't want it, and they auction off their often valuable and well-kept belongings for a fraction of their actual worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I just make things.

• Locked thread