Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Chuu posted:

How can you tell if furniture actually is high quality? I've seen stuff that seemed solidly built with a huge price tag from a high end store -- but started to go after a year; and I've had some cheap stuff from Costco last almost a decade and was still as comfortable as it was new.

Pay attention to the quality of the material and the quality of the jointing, overall structural solidness and level of craftsmanship. A lot of the fancy-looking furniture you see at high-end stores (replica or contemporary) is secretly not that well-made and might not even be real wood (or it's lovely wood/ply with veneer on it). At least with Ikea, they tell you when it's made out of particleboard and price it accordingly. So basically, look for solid wood construction (if you're buying wood furniture), good jointing (i.e. dovetail jointing of the drawers), and good quality wood throughout (oak, maple, cherry, and walnut are good bets - pine is much softer and shows scratches and dents more easily, in my experience). Upholstered stuff like couches is kind of a mixed bag because you can't see how it's built, but if it has a good frame and a form factor you like, you can always just reupholster when it starts looking worn out. I nabbed my great grandfather's wing back chairs from my grandma's house - no one else wanted them because they were "gross", even though they were absolutely exquisite. Only gross thing about them was the worn out, faded old lady upholstery that smelled like cigarettes. A new upholstery job fixed them right up. Your loss, aunts.

So yeah, at the end of the day, if you want nice furniture, go vintage/antique (it's not all froufrou Victorian - lots of early-mid 20th century furniture styles are surprisingly modern-looking). Otherwise, Ikea is actually pretty great for the price.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Especially don't buy expensive furniture because you want it to become an heirloom you pass on to your kids/grandkids. Times have changed, and no one wants your old-rear end furniture anymore. A woman getting a "hope chest" would probably punch you in the taint these days.

Excuse me. :colbert: My parents' old-rear end furniture is awesome and I can't wait to inherit it. Some of it's been in the family for a super long time, too (I guess I'm lucky that my great/great great grandparents had good taste).

However, I agree that it's a terrible idea to buy furniture for the express purpose of having it be an heirloom. Just buy good furniture for you/your house and if your kids like it, free furniture for them. Having poo poo you don't like foisted off on you because it's "heirloom" is the worst. And hope chests can gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread