Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is also apparently Loretta Lynch's first big case as Attorney General, so I can't see her treating this one lightly. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

V. Illych L. posted:

Really, the only bad thing about this is that the court documents will insist on calling the sport "soccer"

Bear in mind that the British coined the word and we inherited it from them. Not our fault Europe later decided not to call it that. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xae posted:

When it comes to the resources the DOJ can throw at a case no one can match them.

It is part of their strategy to bury the opposition in paperwork. During discovery they'll turn over tens of thousands of pages of documents. The defendants usually can't afford the cost to have their legal team go through that much paperwork, even if they are worth millions.

I think the world reaction is going to help the DOJ prosecute this thing as hard as they can. People worldwide seem to be absolutely loving the US taking on FIFA, and we do like positive international attention. Not to mention that Loretta Lynch knows she'll go down in the history books if she pulls this off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't give a poo poo about football/soccer and am enjoying this thread and the one in SAS immensely. It's the first time in my life the US has done something big and so unambiguously good that most of the world is cheerleading us. :unsmith: Can we please have more of this and less military adventures and GOP insanity?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mdemone posted:

You underestimate the degree to which virtually every nation (and their FA) are aware of the massive scale of this corruption -- they are almost uniformly ecstatic that the Americans are going to raze FIFA.

Also the Swiss have already opened their own investigation, and the Brits are talking about throwing their weight in. I think the world is smelling blood in the water.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Despatcher posted:

So the very fact they've used the RICO statute indicates that they have a very very strong case? Normally I am pretty irritated by US legal/tax stuff in Europe (fatca etc) but I have to say I am delighted at this. Good show chaps. Carry on.

The Feds have a 92% conviction rate with almost all of that 8% being technicalities rather than innocence, and apparently they've been investigating and building evidence for years upon years. The FBI does not like to lose, especially in high profile cases, and if they're being this ballsy they're probably feeling very confident and will drop every hammer they can get their hands on. Add to it that RICO is about the nastiest set of laws on the books, and Americans are confident that the DOJ is going to feed FIFA's leadership into a woodchipper with good reason. And I think Loretta Lynch knows this is going to put her in the history books.

Nothing's a sure thing, of course, but there's lots of reason to believe the DOJ is going to pull it off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, bear in mind that the Swiss are already conducting their own investigation in the USDOJ's wake and the British government has already made noises about siccing their Serious Fraud Office (I think that's what the BBC story called it) on FIFA. If the US can bite a big chunk out of FIFA, I'd expect several other nations to start a feeding frenzy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xandu posted:

Yes, but it'll also probably be less overt going forward, assuming these guys end up in jail for a long time. There'll still be corruption, but probably not literal bags of cash being handed out to delegates for their vote.

From what I've been reading, this is also kinda what most fans expect/realistically want. World Cup in Russia, probably corrupt but basically fine. World Cup in Qatar, :frogout:

Edit: Count Brazil and Costa Rica in, too.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 29, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from the sports subforum:

Squinky v2.0 posted:

New NYTimes article offers a few details I hadn't heard

-- Investigation is the result of two separate cases that eventually lead to the same people, one from the IRS involving unpaid taxes from Chuck Blazer and an unrelated one from the FBI in New York into Russian organized crime. Has been a joint investigation for 4 years.

-- They sat on the case and made the arrests in Zurich because they only had to deal with Swiss authorities instead of coordinating arrests and extradition across 7 countries.

-- The chief of the IRS unit running their part of the investigation goes on the record saying they "strongly believe there are other people and entities involved in criminal acts” which sounds like more arrests coming down the line

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

How deep does this loving rabbit hole go?

The IRS investigation of the FIFA guy linked up with an FBI investigation of the Russian mafia. Very deep, probably, and there are already allegations that FIFA was rigging national elections in Trinidad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cantorsdust posted:

Problem is that it usually works the other way: the city/state/federal government foots the bill, uses eminent domain to clear out some poors, and then turns it all over to the private companies who now have carte blanche to develop this new area.

So you're saying it should be awarded to Miami since that's how they work anyway, occasionally substituting "federally protected wetlands" for "poors"? :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cliff Racer posted:

People tend to forget that historically college football was actually even bigger (compared to pro-football) than it is now. The NFL used to be a bunch of nobodies playing in smaller mid-western towns. The Big Ten/Notre Dame and Ivy League were the equivalents of the majors. Though, of course, baseball and boxing dwarfed them both back then.

Also, areas with professional sports teams that suck often fall back on storied college teams in their area. Being a Florida native and resident, for example, easily the three most popular sports teams in the state are the University of Florida Gators, Florida State University Seminoles, and University of Miami Hurricanes. Our pro sports teams of all stripes range from inconsistent to just plain bad, so the college teams are usually Florida's sports standard bearers for natives.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also remember that this mess is the result of two separate investigations that found they were investigating the same people: an IRS effort on Warner for tax evasion, and an FBI investigation of Russian organized crime.

FIFA being smarter about bribes may have warded off that first one, but if FIFA really is in bed with the Russian mafia I doubt any amount of being smarter about bribery would have helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SlipUp posted:

God drat, RICO is some pretty deep poo poo to be in.

This is what people were saying when this thread started: RICO may be slow moving, but it's some of the nastiest laws on the books in the US.

• Locked thread