Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OniPanda posted:

No that's the problem, America didn't get the World Cup and Americans didn't get any bribes. That's where they hosed up!

Offering the US the World Cup as part of your bribe is like offering a Vegan a nice juicy steak to sweeten the deal.

Dr. Tough posted:

Please tell me that Qatar and Russia will have the World Cup taken away. That would be so loving funny.

So you're saying Obama's playing some 12 Dimensional chess over both the Ukraine and the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's Lynch's first case as AG, anything less than the public crucifixion of Blatter would surprise me.

The world will agree that the sport is called soccer, and that the World Champions of the Super Bowl must receive a congratulatory call to the MVP's personal cell phone from every country's Head of State upon winning.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bip Roberts posted:

He's probably partially right in that this stems from losing the bid because of illegal activity from FIFA.

I thought it stemmed from an idiot not paying taxes and a separate Russian mob investigation that both interlaced on FIFA. I mean losing the World Cup to Quatar also raised some eyebrows, but it seems that the overall investigation predates that.

You can gently caress with US soccer all you want, but you pay the tax man. Always pay the tax man. He doesn't care who you are, he want's his money, honey.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sincx posted:

Don't the RICO charges already do that?

No, the US still hasn't slapped FIFA with a label that makes it so no US company can do business with them, meaning 99.5% of all possible sponsors.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

incoherent posted:

Don't forge the condition of the bet. You must drink it out of a chalice worthy...

glug glug

That is clearly an improper chalice. You want something like this

alpha_destroy posted:

Seriously, If you are in the stadium before the top of the fourth and you are not loving trashed, you are doing MiLB wrong. You sit in the parking lot and shot-gun beers for the first hour, then heckle whatever lucky fans get the honor of taking part in the Captain Crusty's Crustacean Toss between innings. MiLB rules.

I went to a game when I was in High School because Michael Jordan was playing. It sucked and was boring as gently caress. I'm not sure lovely stadium beer would have sufficiently improved the experience.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VideoTapir posted:

Gotta be American, tho.

John mentioned 3 brands that he would partake of, Nike was not one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vladimir Putin posted:

There really not enough professional teams of any sport for most Americans to follow. I mean most sports teams are based in cities and if you live in a far away part of a state you'll have absolutely no kind of connection to those teams. That's got to be some kind of contributor to why college sports are so popular. The Eagles/Steelers example was brought up which is east/west Pennsylvania. Who the hell are you supposed to root for if you live in the middle of Pennsylvania which is hundreds of miles away from either team?

Buck the Pennsylvania trend and root for a good team?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kurtofan posted:

If Blatter isn't a moron he probably covered his tracks.

I'm surprised he didn't just "lose" his stuff like the Russian bid guys.

With decades of blatant corruption permeating the organization it seems more likely that any attempts to cover his tracks are minimal at best. Remember that this started when a dumbass with a luxury apartment for his cats figured not filling taxes with the IRS was a good idea. Backing the Qatar World Cup to the hilt doesn't speak much for the ability to cover tracks any better by anyone in FIFA leadership.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cythereal posted:

Also remember that this mess is the result of two separate investigations that found they were investigating the same people: an IRS effort on Warner for tax evasion, and an FBI investigation of Russian organized crime.

FIFA being smarter about bribes may have warded off that first one, but if FIFA really is in bed with the Russian mafia I doubt any amount of being smarter about bribery would have helped.

The bribery wasn't really the problem with Warner as far as being found out. It was not paying anything to the IRS. A separate luxury apartment for your cats is going to catch the eye of the IRS when you haven't filed poo poo with them. If Warner had just done the normal corrupt gently caress thing and hired a tax lawyer it would have been all good. He could have even put down his income as "Taking bribes like you wouldn't even believe. I mean, fuuuuuckloads of bribes." and the IRS would have been fine with it. The IRS will never give a poo poo as long as they're getting their piece.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

etalian posted:

You are getting Warner mixed with Chuck Blazer.

Blazer was the one who got caught since he made the Wesley Snipes mistake

You're right. However it's my understanding that Warner and the other North/South American officials wouldn't even have been on the IRS investigative radar if Blazer weren't such a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

V. Illych L. posted:

uh why do you think this investigation got going bro

A doofus went and shot the IRS the bird with a condo for his cats and no taxes. Just pay your taxes and the IRS don't care about soccer in the sand.

• Locked thread