Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

youre constantly missing your attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the worst part is that they have miss damage but it's 1 dmg per level so it might as well just not be there. really annotying

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

fadam posted:

We like combat, but I think we prefer out of combat problem solving more.

Nobody is really interested in learning and reading a bunch of lore prior to starting the game so I think 13th Age is out. How easy is Exalted to learn from the leak document?

torchbearer sounds the closest to what you want, out of the games you've listed. unfortunately I have no idea if it's actually any good. it seems like it might be?

I'm also fond of FATE stuff, even though it's no longer in goon vogue - FATE Core is pay-what-you-want or free, so you could glance at that and see how it suits you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My current group is playing 13th Age and I don't like it so far. Too many misses, combat balance is nuts (either drags on way too long or ends way too early, escalation die doesn't help as much as you'd think), and playing it after playing Dungeon World makes me long for the days when my stupid rear end players didn't take ten minutes to take a combat turn because they forgot what all their spells do and have to go rooting around in PDFs and poo poo.

Upmarket Mango posted:

you should play savage worlds

more people should play savage worlds :smith:

Savage Worlds is real good.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

is savage worlds the one where you play with a deck of cards in combat?

is it actually fun after the first playthrough or is it just one of those gimmicky rpgs you play every now and again for kicks

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

It's a combat-oriented game where it's nigh-on impossible to land a hit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

It's a combat-oriented game where it's nigh-on impossible to land a hit.

muh escalation die

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LaTex Fetish posted:

is savage worlds the one where you play with a deck of cards in combat?

is it actually fun after the first playthrough or is it just one of those gimmicky rpgs you play every now and again for kicks

The cards are used for initiative and yeah, I had a fun campaign for it. You only use the cards for initiative, though, and you deal a new card to each person each round until a Joker is dealt, and whoever gets the Joker has a special "act whenever you want to" ability that round. Then you shuffle and start again.

Everything else uses dice and is pretty quick and snappy. It's good.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dungeon world is poo poo from a dog's rear end in a top hat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Actually, dungeon world is good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

it's cargo cult apoc world with a bunch of terrible additions that bog down the game. damage dice in a story game alone is unforgiveable, especially when you still need to narrate every single instance of hack and slash and shoot

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i've had multiple games where combat boiled down to "i around and whack at the goblin for a bit" "ok roll dice" "whoops guess i didn't kill him time for someone else to say the same thing until the goblin dies" and there's only so many times you can try to escalate the situation when that happens before things get forced and lovely

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Admittedly it's a lot less cool than Apocalypse World but also I don't think it's trying to be a story game to the same degree. It's building a dungeon crawling RPG on top of Apocalypse World's bones, but with a more micro focus instead of a macro one.

Puts a shitload of strain on the GM to come up with interesting things to happen in combat, though, and if you aren't careful it can go south really quickly because things just start to feel random and meaningless, which is why I don't run it anymore. With a better GM than me I think it'd be real good, though.

I guess I can walk back "Dungeon World is good" more to a "Dungeon World is good on paper but I can't make it work for more than a few sessions myself."

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

that's the thing though all the core mechanics are built from a storygame engine but with a bunch of tactical cruft built in because they wanted to be D&D. it ends up living in this garbage middle ground where it's goit too many rules and systems for a storygame but it doesn't have nearly enough mechanical complexity to be a good tactical experience so it's just a shambles. there's other problems too, apoc world's system is built around the assumption that the PCs generally cooperate but also don't have usually care much if the other PCs make it and they're expected to act against each other's interest to benefit themselves from time to time. DW uses the system wholesale, but it bills itself as a cooperative team game (which makes the game having a dedicated interfere move dumb too, am i on these other guys side or aren't I) which makes everything tonally inconsistent and hard to coordinate.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i had a long post about this somewhere, let me see if i can dig it up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718513&userid=175670#post445618916

Dec 26, 2012

SM64Guy posted:

youre constantly missing your attacks

there's a -AC/+hp sidegrade option listed and unless your party optimized to-hit you should probably use that liberally because thanks to it being d20 based you often either whiff forever or kill everything by turn 2

Dec 26, 2012

of course that revelation does gently caress all for you unless your DM understands this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

death to whiffs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tabletops where its possible to miss like 8 million times in a row at a low level are almost intolerable.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Strike! is good. do you want to tactical combat without meaningful rolls? You can do that and it is easy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Impermanent posted:

Strike! is good. do you want to tactical combat without meaningful rolls? You can do that and it is easy.

AND IT'S MADE BY A GOON

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

01011001 posted:

there's a -AC/+hp sidegrade option listed and unless your party optimized to-hit you should probably use that liberally because thanks to it being d20 based you often either whiff forever or kill everything by turn 2

Didn't know about that. Guess I'll have to use that from now on if I ever DM that again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

AND IT'S MADE BY A GOON

Hell, same.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Didn't know about that. Guess I'll have to use that from now on if I ever DM that again.

page 253 has a bunch of useful stuff like that. never do the ones that raise ac though

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

FATE sounds really cool and perfect for my group. 90% of the time when we played 4e it was never in a fantasy setting anyway, we just reskinned the rules to fit different genres so this sounds perfect. Does anyone have any tips for getting started? I just bought the FATE Core and Toolset thing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Homo

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Please don't sign your enigmatic otherwise-empty posts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

01011001 posted:

Could be useful. I'm GMing 13th age right now and not really liking it, considering switching to Savage Worlds, but maybe I'll try that for this next session and see how things go.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I like Call of Cthulhu.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

my friends want to play "dnd" but none of us want to have 2-hour long fiddly battles and the more i think about them the more the DW criticisms make sense (which is a shame because i love love love love the idea) and having to improv that much is a bit tiresome anyways. i'd like to run strike! but if they dont want tactical combat at all and just want storygaming + a little bit of numbers, what's a good system that I can use for that?

its been literal years since ive dmed so id probably also just take a premade module from some other system and steal that

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

im overwhelmed by all the indie rpgs these days

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

CuddlyZombie posted:

my friends want to play "dnd" but none of us want to have 2-hour long fiddly battles and the more i think about them the more the DW criticisms make sense (which is a shame because i love love love love the idea) and having to improv that much is a bit tiresome anyways. i'd like to run strike! but if they dont want tactical combat at all and just want storygaming + a little bit of numbers, what's a good system that I can use for that?

its been literal years since ive dmed so id probably also just take a premade module from some other system and steal that

Sad news when they say that it usually means they'll poo poo their pants if you present them with anything other than a book that says "D&D" on the cover and was printed in the last couple of years. Looks like you're well and truly hosed

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CuddlyZombie posted:

im overwhelmed by all the indie rpgs these days

play Exalted

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Play TOON.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Lightning Lord posted:

Sad news when they say that it usually means they'll poo poo their pants if you present them with anything other than a book that says "D&D" on the cover and was printed in the last couple of years. Looks like you're well and truly hosed

no they dont care about the system enough, they just want to roleplay loving around in villages and getting caught in traps and stuff

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

fadam posted:

FATE sounds really cool and perfect for my group. 90% of the time when we played 4e it was never in a fantasy setting anyway, we just reskinned the rules to fit different genres so this sounds perfect. Does anyone have any tips for getting started? I just bought the FATE Core and Toolset thing.

Buy the Atomic Robo RPG

Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Could be useful. I'm GMing 13th age right now and not really liking it, considering switching to Savage Worlds, but maybe I'll try that for this next session and see how things go.

the mistake a lot of people make when gm'ing it is that they try to shoehorn all the poo poo like icons and OUTs in and then feel completely boxed in by all the clusterfuck that brings. theyre cool and im glad they exist but if they get in the way just do whatever with those (or use them as ways for pcs to know/do cool/relevant things) and sorts itself out

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
list of 13th age mechanics that require the icons
-icon rolls: you roll em at the start of a game and if you roll a 5 or a 6 you can do a story game narrative thing.
-thats it.

ive been playing in a 13th age game that doesnt use the icons at all for the past few months and the loss is unnoticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

zeal posted:

play Exalted

• Locked thread