Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Semper Fudge posted:

Can we just make a D_T quarantine thread and be done with it already?

We did have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

ee:
Saw this and now feel like I'm missing out with my Twix-less digital versions

This is as magical as the soup commercial during Battlestar Galactica.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Looks like they are giving Green Arrow a dog.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dunbar posted:

I need to beef up my DC pulls so I'm going to be interested in any of these new series or resumptions of old series that might be good points to jump in.

This week, I'm looking at Green Arrow, Green Lantern and Midnighter. Any reason I shouldn't start on those? I've read 2 trade collections of Lemire's run on Arrow (I think Vols. 4 and 5) but that's it, and nothing from the other two.

Green Arrow is awesome

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He goes to cereal conventions

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

John's been bi since Azzarello's run at least.

He mentioned ex boyfriends in issue 51 so he has been bi for a long time.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 11, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Stupid phone

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, most of those are absurdly lazy. "Here is Robin! Also Hal Jordan doing a basically unrelated thing nearby."

That one looks like two different covers. The Justice League one looks like they just replaced Superman with Green Lantern. I know I have seen the Green Arrow one or one really close to it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The solicits for the Superman line make it sound like Truth is already over. I'm surprised the arc only went for 4 months.

I think it's the opening arc for the status quo not the genie goes back into the bottle

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Just a reminder Prez is on sale this week on comixology.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm getting tired of the Truth storyline, the explanation of the events that lead to Clark's loss of his power and outing is too slow, making me feel like I'm seeing a movie midways. The fact Lois is coming off like a massive bitch on her article doesn't help either.

I find one issue to be too slow. The truth is the status quo and each title has a different storyline that comes from that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Good point. How was Superman anyway? I was quite happy to see Gene Luen Yang get a comic to do.

I enjoyed it. It looks like while Lois did reveal the story she did it for in character reasons, and everyone was in character. It was a good start to the storyline. Its also possible that someone was behind Lois revealing it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Semper Fudge posted:

I want to love Green Arrow since it's hitting all of the right notes with me but the pacing and plotting is straight hosed in this issue. Particularly this subplot about police drones that would be outrageously over the top in even Robocop, that's introduced at whiplash speed and escalates way too quickly. This could be a really good Green Arrow book, but I was completely torn out of the story by a few quirks that would've been easy to fix.

Not really as the militarization of the police in this country is frightening and in a world with super villains and heroes crazy tech would be common. I mean in batman the police have a mechasuit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Kind of sad to hear this. I picked up the last issue on comixology and really enjoyed. Was hoping the recent issue still went with a horror theme. Is that dropped?

No still has a horror theme and it is really good.

I also do not understand your complaint with Action Dark_Tzitzimine. It seems that its going to be Superman fighting the corrupt cops with others being on his side.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The confrontation with Binghamton makes obvious that the whole point was to provoke Superman so they can justify their actions against him and Kentville.

You mean the thing lex does monthly?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The difference is that when Lex does it, is clear that is something done by an individual, not something sanctioned by the government.

You mean besides the time he was president and advisor for the military

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I wasn't reading comics when Luthor was president and his stint as militar contractor at the start of the N52 was more about proving himself right than defaming Superman.

The whole thing with this storyline is him fighting corrupt cops and being a symbol to the people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Gee, the "super hero takes over and it all goes wrong" story again. When are people gonna realize that's like, the best possible solution instead of setting it up just to fail?

Shazam seems really interesting, though.

Yes when one person has all the power nothing can go wrong.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Not if they're Batman or Superman, no. The writer always has to artifically change the characters to make it work.

You mean like in Red Son? Having them take complete power is a change to the character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

True, they'd never do what they should. That and the no killing are Superman's big flaws. Batman's too, but he has other issues he needs to work on too.

Wait are you saying that Superman should kill and want absolute power?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Absolutely. Sure, it'd be bad if he suddenly and for no real reason turned into an unhinged tyrant or went Incorruptible on everyone, but that's not Superman.

Yeah he is a guy who refuses to kill and thinks that the common man has the streanth to be super, but sometimes needs help. He never forces it but will pick you up when needed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I think if Superman were real and truly that ethic and righteous, he wouldn't have a problem with it. That he doesn't is an arbitary limitation similar to how Batman's no kill policy wouldn't exist if not for a combination of wanting to keep the comics more childlike early on and also to keep old villians able to come back over and over.

I know that, I'm not advocating brainwashing.

You are advocating following my rules or I will kill you

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Unmature posted:

That sounds cool. In what issue does that start?

Batman 41

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Do you guys know when the dc comics sale on comixology promos rotate? It's switched to Cyborg/ Teen titans promos right now, I don't know much about that, is there a cool storyline in there?

(what I see on sale: A Kid's Game, the Judas Contract, Kidnapped, Raven Rising, Terra Incognito, Terror of Trigon, Titans East, Titans Around the World.

DC sales are usually start of Monday at 11 and go for a week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Unmature posted:

Reading the Gordon Batman stuff now.

So the police are working directly with Batman again? They're cool with the vigilantism and all that?

Or does Batman Inc legitimize him enough to work within the system or something?

Forgive my ignorance, I've been out of DC since the relaunch.

The police run the batman program so its not vigilantism.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Terrible and barely related to the event.

The best run on Justice League Dark was Jeff Lemire's, which ended at Trinity War, and even that wasn't great, though the team was always filled with amazing characters with great, historic solo runs.

Read Swamp Thing from Alan Moore and the N52 series, Frankenstein in Seven Soldiers and his N52 series, Constantine in Hellblazer (Vertigo or brand new series, not the N52 "Constantine") instead.

Also Shade's Vertigo title

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, what's the difference between the Hellblazer series and the Constantine series?

Hellblazer is the good one and pre52. Constantine is the lovely version that came from 52

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dunbar posted:

I feel like the only one who isn't getting in on the fun with Robin: Son of Batman. :( I got the #1 but I dropped my sub after that because I had no clue what was going on in the book.

Damian did a bunch of bad poo poo as part of his training for League of Assassins and he is now trying to make amends for it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

What time zone?

Eastern

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

It's got a tornado full of sharks! Come on! You're not allowed not to like it!

To clarify, I read the first issue of Son of Batman (that's the book with the rainbow cave guardian living statue or whatever, right?) and I thought it was a fun enough book, haven't gotten around to reading a second issue but in terms of a recommendation, IT'S GOT THIS WEIRD THING IN IT, BUY IT isn't any more of a selling point than some random Syfy mash-em-up wacky movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

The pillow gag with the bear might be my favourite joke in a comic in 2015.

And it's also got a surprising bit of heart, with Beth's dad's deathbed speech and Prez himself showing up. (Did he give her a kevlar sweater?)

Yes and it will be the presidential seal one that he wore.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I know I asked about the rogues before, but what are good flash stories in general? New 52 or before.

Waids run and Geoff John Wally run. The start of 52 was also really good and stop after the author change.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jiro posted:

Anyone else underwhelmed by this weeks Superman? I also think they're kinda using him going nova a bit too much just to have him be more vulnerable as an easy out to write stories where he can't solve his problems with him being "Superman". I feel like the Action Comics storyline would work just as fine if he still had his normal power set. Jeans and t-shirt for the win though.

The nova seemed to be part one of their plan. They showed a dude going up to him and doing something to him and causing the power loss.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I'Why worry about your day job when your day job is getting hired to slaughter evildoers and save innocent people? It's the perfect set up for a heroic story. Basically every Dungeons and Dragons party too, but you don't see them going "I can't kill this lich and his army of evil or I'll be just as bad!".

Yes since the rich would never hire you to do evil.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I know he's got a superpowered Siri chair now, is he seriously already back in Snyder's book too? Christ.

He was back in the very first issue of the new storyline. The non-readers are the only people who think he is dead (Alfred, Julia, and Gordon and the exceptions)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Regular militaries are constantly committing atrocities like it's a sport. I'm not bringing this up to defend real PMCs, they all suck, but so does a lot of things in this world that no cares about in fiction because Red Hood didn't become a US marine. Jason and Roy aren't any different than Luke and Danny.

They don't kill and are not above the law. Then are PI not mercenaries

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

A lot of DC's more interesting books had new issues today and if all we're gonna talk about is Red Hood, that's a sadness.

Pak's Superman great Superman or greatest Superman?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So many great moments this week

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Roy's idiotic idea to lure out criminals for them to take down.

Sounds like Cyclops stupid idea with X-factor - lets be mutant hunters so we can find mutants!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Haha awesome now Green Arrow is facing objectivists. This run is not as good as Grell or Lemires, but it has potential.

• Locked thread