Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Semper Fudge posted:

It'd be a lot easier to swallow if they didn't look like this:

That's like the most evil loving robot ever devised.

I actually think it's really cool that there are multiple DC books right now that are dealing with police brutality in a modern context, but this is just two notches overboard.

Yeah, on the one hand I get that Green Arrow shares a universe with the Batbunny and so silly looking robots/mechanical creations are sort of a norm in the current world of DC, but to me it's just so much easier to accept a silly looking robot that is modeled after an iconic hero's costume than it is to accept a robot that looks like a flying metal squid.

Plus, if you want to do a story dealing with modern police brutality... you can just have police brutality? It's not like police brutality is a hard to explain concept so we need the flying squid to act as an analogy. And Ollie is an unpowered archer, it's not like 3 or 4 cops armed with what passes as riot gear aren't a legitimate threat to him.

I'm willing to give GA one more issue, but I'm probably dropping it unless #3 really blows me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Both have decently-likable Muslim* teen/young adult nerds who develop magical powers, but the latest Dr Fate series just started so I don't really know how strong of a comparison you can make this early.

*(I don't know if Khalid is supposed to be Muslim himself, but he is definitely supposed to be Egyptian-American and there is a not-insignificant chance he's Muslim)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

I wasn't aware anybody actually bought variant covers, I thought we all just looked at them on the Internet and remarked about how cool/bad they were.

I occasionally find ones that I think to myself look cool that I'd totally love to own but then I realize I might need to put in effort to find them, like ordering it online or reserving one with my LCS and then I just go gently caress it and buy the regular cover/buy a digital copy :effort:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Seriously who the gently caress wanted a Telos ongoing? The existence of a Telos ongoing might rank higher than "Batman Beyond featuring nothing resembling Batman Beyond" on the list of "why does this exist" titles DC is putting out.

I don't even know why I'm still reading BB. Everything from "killing off Terry and bringing in a character with no attachment to the world of BB" to "replacing the wacky highschool antics and scifi dystopia-lite world with a concentration camp" makes me feel like someone at DC just wanted to troll the poo poo out of everyone who had ever asked for a BB comic.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I can't be denied that the DCYOU wasn't the success DC hoped though.

Even if that's the case, I really don't see what reverting to what they had before that also sold poorly would do. Especially if it meant killing a new rebranding so quickly.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I think a big reason DCYou might be suffering compared to N52's more triumphant launch is that N52 had Flashpoint building up to it while DCYou got Convergence, which as I recall sold pretty poorly. Really early on Convergence sold wonderfully, but quickly dropped off, and when we're talking about the precursor to a relaunch/rebranding, the sales at the end are pretty important.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I was just mostly interested in talking about why DCYou was underperforming while Marvel has loads of really good selling books starting minorities, especially women. I don't think even DC is stupid enough to say "doubling down hard on bigoted 40 year olds is a long term business model". :shobon:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I can see a "return to the basics" happening though.

On yeah, totally. I fully believe DC is going to push for getting Superman and Batman back to heroing and into their classic costumes faster than originally planned, some other character's books return to more standard superheroing, and probably a couple of books like Doomed might get cancelled but that article felt like it was saying DC's about to announce "we're about to get a whole lot less diverse, maybe one or two token ladycomics max".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

This BC rumor is somehow harder to believe than the last one. An 'austerity regime' would basically be the end of DC comics other than token releases for the films.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I completely believe the 12 issue thing is a goner, but it baffles me why you'd even make that promise in the first place then. Surely it was meant to reassure readers and retailers that they can reasonably expect the series to be around for a year, so they can justify the investment. If such promises can be scrapped (and this wasn't guaranteeing them a 100 issue run. It was basically saying 'we won't cancel them until next year, but oh boy are some of them dead by then') so easily, why should any statement from DC editorial have any credibility?

Biggest reason why I have doubts. Readers will have no way of knowing what books will or won't get cut off after 6 issues, creators won't want to work with a boss that renegs on their promise, and marketing can't be thrilled to hear things that they advertise might just randomly become total lies after they launch a new ad campaign.

Plus, no matter how bad DC can be at times, if that rumor is real someone must have looked at the list of planned changes and went 'wait, if I were an artist/writer, why on earth would I ever work for DC if I could get a job literally anywhere else?'

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Space_Butler posted:

Man, there was a brief window where I thought the idiots had been purged out of this company. Back to reality.

quote:

Well, I’ve spoken to an individual who, in a previous life, actually was a DC Comics “beancounter”

So either BC interviewed someone fired for their clear lack of competence who never learned from their mistakes after getting fired, or BC made up an interview and the stuff they put into it is obvious bullshit.

That DC "beancounter" needs to explain to their friends who watched Watchmen instead of reading it the difference between an adaptation and the original work. Do they get recommended the Hitman games, cheat by watching the Hitman films, and then walk away thinking the games must be terrible? No because nobody functions like this.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

While I don't like Harley Quinn, I'd say it's still miles above Way's Deadpool. I generally think Harley is a pretty interesting character that has a lot of potential when played straight so I'm predisposed to not liking her current series, but after about 6 issues or so you've seen all the series has to offer and then it just kinda gets stuck on repeat forever.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

quote:

"If you’re trying to build a fan base, a new audience, you’ve got to nurture it. You’ve got to take your time. You’ve got to take your losses,” DiDio told the paper. "Sooner or later, it’s going to take hold and hopefully be a leader in the business. Right now, our goal is to try and feed out as much product that’s as different as possible to try and attract the widest audience possible." He added that DC will start “adjusting a little bit, and start to focus" their methods in the months ahead.

Basically exactly what I was expecting DC to do/say, but it's still good to hear DC's higher ups understand that they can't expect the rebranding/new books to catch on overnight :unsmith:. So far of the DC You new books I've been reading, I think the worst I can say is "Doomed is okay, I need to see more to form a solid opinion".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

That actually sounds better than several books I've read.

I was going to disagree, but then I remembered Batman Beyond, the one DC You book I read and dislike and it would honestly be better if it was nothing but Terry trying to find Batman Beyond Jason.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

What if there was like multiple Robins? Some not even being white kids with dark hair.

Nonsense, there is only one Robin and she is blonde.

(I haven't read any of Stephanie Brown Robin, I have no idea how she was as Robin)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Well that sucks :(. I recently read Bryan Miller's Batgirl and liked it, and was considering checking out her run as Robin. Sounds like that's probably not a great idea.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Its the run in which Leslie Thompson allows her to die from being tortured as a lesson to Bruce.

:( yeah, knew about the ending but I guess I thought maybe the rest of her run as Robin might have been better, but on reflection, with an end that bad I have no idea why I thought that.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

WickedHate posted:

But now she's a RAVEN now! Get it? Because her name is Raven? So she's a bird! :suicide:

Can't wait for Black Canary's costume redesign :unsmigghh:.

I kinda thought "skintight bodysuit" was the biggest weaknesses of her old costume but I see now it was "head doesn't look stupid enough".

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 1, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

So are any of the DCYou titles worth a drat.

Also, I just realized DCYou is a really stupid name for a comic line dedicated to reaching out to a more diverse audience.

Plenty, what are you into? Prez, Robin, We Are Robin!, Omega Men, Midnighter, Black Canary, and Doctor Fate are pretty good. I also kinda like Doomed but its mostly been set up so far.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Honestly, all this mess of continuity has turned me off of DC. Not knowing what has or has not happened to characters or what version or continuity this particular one came from makes it hard to get invested in anything.

Yeah like I totally get not wanting to bog down your book with making sure it's in cannon with every little thing that happened in some other dude's Superman run or if you want to do a series with Deadman but last we left him he was supposed to be training his new Deadgirl sidekick that nobody likes I'm fine with Deadman just forgetting she exists, but if you got three different Supermen running around it honestly makes it more confusing for me because now it's much harder to know what character progressions will matter, what events are going to have lasting impacts, I don't get as much sense everything's happening in one world, etc. I get that none of this affects my enjoyment of a book but it's harder to get invested in the DC universe as a whole.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

According to that article, Doomed hasn't officially been cancelled yet and is just missing from the December solicits. I wouldn't be surprised though, I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about the series at all. Even now that it's possibly cancelled, all I'm seeing is people talking about the other four books (both here and on other comic book sites I frequent).

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 14, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

For context (and this is only two months into DCYou) it certainly makes sense for Doomed to be canceled. Here were DC's bottom fifteen ongoings in July

Ooh. Yeah, that doesn't feel that surprising to me. I guess I thought DC might stick to their 12 issue promise, but I don't think Doomed was ever going to rebound, and at least Prez has amazing critical reception even if the sales are not there.

I'm surprised Secret Six is so high. It's not bad and I liked past incarnations of Secret Six, but this current one feels really weird, and it took a massive break for the move/Convergence after issue 2 so I thought the book would be suffering a lot more than it is. Its still on the bottom 15, but I was expecting it to be lower on the list.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

That Dr. Fate cover is loving amazing :golfclap:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

All I know about Parallax is he's a giant space bug that is sometimes people. I know even less about Telos. I'm guessing from reactions here they're tied into Half Jordan and they're not great?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

:unsmith: I was really worried DC was going to demand Omega Men wrap up in two issues.

I wonder if Doomed will also get 12 issues, but I am far less worried about that and mostly keep reading it just because it's not terrible and inertia.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

redbackground posted:

I don't even know who Telos is :agesilaus:

As far as I can tell he was the bad guy from Convergence but now is a good guy who's mad at Braniac who was the real big bad of Convergence? I think he's an alien. That's about all I know and that plus the preview look really dull :geno:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I liked Batman & Robin Eternal. Cassandra Cain and Harper Row being around are both pretty good.

Still not a fan of Batman Beyond. Tim Drake is a Batman in a world that is built around a totally different Batman and is wearing the Batbunny suit of another totally different Batman. Like, if you don't want to do Batman Beyond, don't do Batman Beyond? :shrug:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

He's not even the real Tim. He's just a temporal copy from an aborted timeline.

Wow, I was not even aware of that. I thought this was just the new DC thing of "continuity's whatever, Superman's over there with Lois, over there with Wonder Woman, and chilling with Batman somewhere else all at the same time".

Man, that just makes Batman Beyond so much weirder. I'm all for Tim Drake Batman/some similar hero in his own right. Just do that. Don't show me a time-travel nonsense version of Tim doing his best Terry impression in a post-apocalyptic version of the Batman Beyond world.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Did Jason Todd or Bucky come back from the dead first?

Bucky was dead a whole hell of a lot longer, obviously.

They both came back in 2005, with Bucky coming back in January and Jason coming back that February.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

:stare: Well that makes dropping Teen Titans a much easier decision.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I felt the same way about Cyborg.

Starfire from what little I read of it (3 issues) just gets worse. It's not quite as bad as Harley Quinn but it's not funny, plotline is bland as hell, and I'm not really endeared by anything in it.

I don't understand fans of Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. I see a lot of people like their stuff but literally every series I've seen by them is terrible :geno:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Jokers Daughter seems like the perfect character to add to Red Hood. Can we just put all the awful bullshit characters in that book and out of the rest of DC?

I have read very little DC and have seen Jokers Daughter in nothing other than a bit of Batman Eternal. Is she basically what it says on the tin; daughter of the Joker, has the exact same gimmick as the original, but without being nearly as well established as a character and not having a Batman to be an arch nemesis for?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ah, so she's actually less interesting than what it says on the tin because if she were actually related to the Joker it would at least give her something more than "crazy lady who kills people and is happy".

:psyduck: I just don't understand DC sometimes. I guess it's Lobdell's fault for bringing her into RH&A, but at some point DC had to go "Yeah this character sounds good, put her in stuff".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Honestly, the fact that neither Marvel nor DC is experimenting with books that don't come out weekly but in a single trade never stops surprising me. Sure, making the change from a trade compiling a bunch of issues to a trade just being its own original release would be a huge change in how it is written and plotted, and this would need quite a bit of experimenting, but looking at comic sales and related medias like television and novels, there is demand for releasing an entire arc/story in one go instead of getting bits of it week by week (or more accurately, month by month).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

They do do OGNs, though? And Marvel tried that A-Force Presents thing.

Right after I hit submit post I had a sneaking feeling I was forgetting something pretty obvious :v:. Alright, point DC, they do experiment with OGNs. I'd kinda like it if they experiment more and maybe tried converting a series that sells really well in trade but not nearly as well in weekly releases, but I certainly am not expert so for all I know maybe the OGNs don't sell well enough to warrant experimenting with it more or maybe the creative team doesn't want to do a one and done trade release every few months.

A-Force Presents on the other hand, isn't that just a TPB but combining parts of a few different runs instead of all the issues of one run?

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 22, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

:downs: let me rephrase my post: Honestly, my inability to double check I'm not talking out my rear end never stops surprising me.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I gave Doctor Fate all my support, and there's a lot to like about it still, but the pacing has been alternately dull and schizophrenic. I can't even tell between one issue and the next anymore 'cuz the exact same build-up and the exact same lack-of-resolution keeps repeating themselves.

Yeah, this issue really made me realize just how little is happening in Fate. I get it, it's a new origin for Fate, he's still getting used to having powers much less heroing, but come on man, we're six issues in, the big bad of the series blinds Khalid, and he responds by teleporting off to go do chem homework. The issue ends right where we began; Fate is fighting the dog thing and has no idea what the hell he's doing.

I'm debating giving it one last issue, depending on if the next issue coincides with a particularly heavy week for me.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Equeen posted:

Not before Wonder Woman gets one. :colbert:

Seriously, this week's Wonder Woman was some dogshit. Diane needs to let wars happen or else Hitler will force kids to work in sweatshops? :psyduck:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope they start with new writers on Wonder Women, Flash, and Green Lantern.

I hope so too, but if DC is doing stuff in reaction to the October sales numbers, WW, Flash, and GL all sold okay relative to other DC books. Green Lantern was the #1 book that didn't have Batman, Superman, Harley Quinn, or the Justice League, and Flash and Wonder Woman weren't too far behind.

Then again they probably also have an idea of how November's numbers are going to look and I'm willing to bet those three series probably saw some drop off. Also I think DC has noticed by now that trade sales matter, and so books like Batgirl and Gotham Academy will probably bury the three books you mentioned farther with their TPB sales added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

Wonder Woman is already selling under Azarello's run and Green Lantern used to be DC's second biggest franchise. There's no possible way they can be happy with those numbers even if they aren't quite as bad as the rest of the line.

True, I was betting DC would just look at the relative sales and start trimming from/making changes there but I keep forgetting it wasn't that long ago that I wouldn't have to follow "Green Lantern is selling well" with "... if you ignore the top 10 selling DC books". Plus, getting knocked out of the top 10 comics sold overall hurts bad, and DC can't get back on there just trimming their < 20k sold books.

• Locked thread