Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
They also put out a sizzle reel featuring most of the new books. DC is undoubtedly going all out on this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

I bet SM+WW are breaking up in SM/WW to make way for this coupling (Even though the comics seem to be in completely different timeframes. Eh.)
I doubt that. The 8-page preview for JL had the Amazonian oracle mentioning Barda among the list of people involved in the battle, so she'll probably make an appearance late into the story. Diana's leading role is clearly because Grail (uck) is half-Amazon and her Amazon mother is also involved to boot.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly E2 was such a mess that it's probably for the best that Johns acts like it never even happened as far as Mister Miracle and Darkseid go.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dunbar posted:

Read JL #41 and Action #41 and thought both were terrific, but what do I need to read to get familiar with all this New Genesis/Apokolips stuff in JL? I've read the entire New 52 run of JL and I don't recall running into these people anywhere before.

Probably going to stop by the shop today and pick up Arrow and Lantern since I wasn't sure about them on Wednesday.
New Gods were only really explored in three books. E2 for Mister Miracle, Barda and Apokolips. Wonder Woman for Orion and New Genesis. Green Lantern with God Head. The Orion focus with WW was fantastic in particular. He also appeared in a couple Superman issues but Lobdell wrote them so I wouldn't recommend it.

World's End had a lot of New God focus but it's incredibly hit and miss, especially because they had this stupid idea to make Barda defect back to Darkseid and not explain why she's suddenly going with Scott's side in Future's End, which WE directly leads into.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Nystral posted:

Does anyone know if Azzarello ended up on a book following Convergence? I can't seem to find anything for him after Future's End
No. He's been working on Dark Knight III, so I imagine that's why.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Cassandra Cain has been heavily hinted by Snyder and the rest of the Batman team to be coming back this year. I imagine the next Eternal, which is unofficially announced as happening, will be the gateway for that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I wonder how that will translate into digital. Just rotate and make it a very large image or split it into two pages?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

I'd put good money on General Mills Cereal themed covers happening before too long.
Geoff Johns cereal obsession finally comes in full.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

HitTheTargets posted:

Uh... Come again?
All you need to know.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Senor Candle posted:

I wish the Question series was in the one with Shazam so I could have just bought that
Why not just buy them separately outside of trade and call it a day? Cheaper too.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I was bitching about the sneak peek and how it seemed to ignore the riks vigilantism entailed by presenting the kids as incredibly competent. People here pointed out how that could be adressed down the line and I'd said if that happened I'd admit my mistake.

I'm just following up my words :shrug:
I agree that I don't like the idea of normal kids being competent vigilantes out of nowhere, even if I'm usually able to forgive it if the story is good.

But saying you hope a kid in the comic died because of it is pretty extreme.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The solicits for the Superman line make it sound like Truth is already over. I'm surprised the arc only went for 4 months.
Four issues is rather short for what's being billed as a game changing arc, but considering it's running between all four comics that have Superman in top billing that's sixteen issues when you pile them all together.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Dr. Fate was a decent set-up issue. The art is fantastic, but Levitz didn't do much to establish a personality for Khalid other than "normal guy is reluctant about his big destiny."

Also it begins right where the 8-page preview left off, so you need to read that to get the full meat of this issue if you don't remember what happens. I think I'll wait until the second issue to decide for certain how I feel about it, because this issue really just serves to set the plot up, but the art is gorgeous and worth the admission price for this issue.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Trast posted:

DC has finally hit on a formula that will keep people coming in for their books: constant relaunches. Just have new #1 issues every month! :v:
This is one thing DC should not copy from Marvel.

glitchwraith posted:

How was the dialogue in Dr. Fate? It was pretty bad in the sneak peek, which is a shame as I love the art and general direction they are taking the character.
It wasn't that ground breaking. Khalid is a typical fish out of water and this issue is pretty much pure set-up for the rest of the arc. The art is even better in this issue than in the 8-page preview.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think it would do better with more established characters. Yeah Simone had some original characters in there, like Scandal, Catman (reimagined by her) and Ragdoll, but also pre-established names like Deadshot, Bane, Cheshire and more. This lineup is basically all characters she either made or ones that have barely been established in new 52 like Strix. We don't really know anything about these characters and she's not doing much to establish them before tossing us into the insanity.

I'm hoping it will read better in a full arc, but that will only happen if every issue doesn't get delayed.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
We Are Robin is definitely looking to be great. It'll be interesting to see Duke be the lead, but not the leader so to speak. Flash's creative team should take notes on how to do a troubled teen story from this.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I have the same issue with We Are Robin than I have with Gotham Academy, the concept simply clahses too much with the comic book universe to be believable. The whole point of Tim and Jason origins was that being a vigilante wasn't a game, we spent a lot of time building both Harper and Steph into believable crime fighters and suddenly you have a bunch of no name kids pulling the same feats? Bullshit. I'm noter a fan of the social theme Bermejo is aiming for either, I've had enough of that with my classmates and friends.
The thing is, Tim and Jason were products of their time and characters like Stephanie (as she is now, but even back then), Duke and Harper are products of a different time. The former were made in a time were comics were intent on showing a darker side to them after the more corny nature of the past, while the latter are made in a time where comics are trying to regain that nostalgic past while mixing in modern sensibilities.

Also there's a fine line between "competent vigilante" and "street fighter." You don't see most people in gangs being formally trained to be a fighting force, but they're a force because of their numbers and because they know how to throw a punch.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I hope not. Lemire got hit with exclusivity practically the second his DC contract expired, I'd hate to see that happen to King and Pak.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Really don't know how to feel about the art. Sometimes it looks great, other times it looks too uncanny for me to get accustomed to it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The Superman/Lois title is basically DC having their cake and eating it too, by giving people the marriage they want while keeping the awful SM/WW relationship alive.

Excited for Superman vs New Gods though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Unmature posted:

Two questions for you guys:

B&N is having a buy two get one free sale on DC trades. I'm pretty out of the loop on DC. What are some trades I absolutely should get that came out in the last couple years?

Also can someone explain to me all this robot Batman business?
Depends what characters you like. Court of Owls + Zero Year (Secret City+Dark City in trades) is good if you're a Batman fan. Azzarello's Wonder Woman is good for Wonder Woman lovers. Personally I loved Demon Knights, which is about Jason Blood/Etrigan leading a team of misfit warriors in medieval times, and that comes in three paperback trades so you can get the whole series through this deal.

And as for Robot Batman - it's Jim Gordon. Bruce is faking his death after the events of Endgame, so everyone believes Batman is dead. The city decides Batman is needed as a symbol, but this time will be allied with the GCPD and Gordon gets picked for the job based on reliability. It's pretty fun because Gordon himself doesn't believe he's cut out for it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Multiversity I think is just about exploring different corners of DC and enjoying them for what they are. I wasn't into it for the longer storyline, but I never got the feeling I had to be.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Alhazred posted:

He's probably the only writer to have written a good Zatanna story.
The Black Canary+Zatanna teamup OGN is very good. Though it's Paul Dini so maybe that isn't fair.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Solicits are out

Batman Eternal's solicits are all the same thing, guessing to prevent spoilers. Poor Prez got cut-down from 12 issues to 6. Manapul taking over Justice League art duties should be interesting.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Space Fish posted:

Someone over at Panels.net called the new Dr. Fate DC's equivalent of Ms. Marvel.
If this is true, I need to be all over it yesterday.
Anyone feel like corroborating that opinion?
I said something similar to friends today when solicits rolled out and stand by it. It has the same "mantle normally held by a white character is given to a POC, with a twist" thing going for it. The art style and general feel of the book lends to that comparison too. Though it's important to keep in mind that Khalid is older than Kamala by almost a decade.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Of course Batman gets all the knowledge in the universe and there's a giant alien threat looming, but gently caress that he needs to know his parent's murderer and the Joker's name first.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
In all fairness, Dark Knight was a terrible comic that deserves to be forgotten.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Squizzle posted:

Have Ostrander or DeMatteis ever handled the New Gods? They seem like they could have turned in some nice work with them. And I'd love to see New Gods work from any of the gang at Marvel who have lately been handling Thor, Loki, Angela, and the whole Asgardian crew.
The New Gods played small role in Ostrander's Suicide Squad run and the gang even went to Apokolips for a while. DeMatteis had Scott Free and Barda on the JL International, while giving them a sitcom style ongoing. Neither really ever tackled New God mythos though, at least not past individual characters.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
They usually put up sales to correspond with something DC related coming out. Big relaunch events like DCYou got a lot of sales, movies or tv shows usually grab some (expect Green Arrow, Flash and Supergirl sales for sure when fall hits.) There's usually at least one sale a month though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked Earth One Teen Titans as a set up. I hope it gets a vol 2 since Raven and Starfire didn't even join by the end.
Lemire is supposedly contracted for a second volume despite being a Marvel exclusive, though who knows how long it'll take when he's writing so many ongoings and planning to add more.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
If I ever read Batman Earth One, it'll be because of that page.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
From what I recall, Lemire's Green Arrow run is going to be collected in a small omnibus soon, so hold out for that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

Sold out of 50 copies of #1 in 2 weeks, I think I have a handful of #2 left. Sadly We Are Robin is a dud for us.
We Are Robin, like Gotham Academy, is one of those books that needs to grow on people because you got a whole cast of new characters. I think it'll have a better time in trades. WAR only has a slightly better time than GA because it involves superheroics within the comic.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Unmature posted:

That book ended? They canceled the comic that a show is based on?
You're thinking of iZombie, which was a Vertigo book that ended.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Is there a reason for the obsession with Waller being overweight? Coming from someone on neither side of the fence it seems odd to pigeon-hole a character who, as I understand it, is almost sociopathic and pursuant to her ideologies which I'd assume also meant being as physically fit as possible. But then again I really don't have the history with the character so I'm genuinely curious.
I think Waller's New 52 change is the most prominent display of what was wrong with the New 52 relaunch as a whole. There was no need to change her appearance, it never presented itself as an issue in the comics and people liked her that way, but she was both de-aged and given a supermodel body for no apparent reason. Her origin of a self-made woman, who had to claw her way out of poverty for the sake of making a better life for herself and her family, was inspiring and she existed as an antagonistic protagonist in Suicide Squad. There are plenty of writers who never gave her the nuance she deserved, just making her into a stereotypical angry black woman, but plenty more who helped shape her (Ostrander of course, but Greg Rucka, Dwayne McDuffie and Gail Simone did great writing for her too.)

New 52 Amanda Waller is a complete gutting of the character. She became another field agent put into a desk job that she never could really manage. The original Waller never did field work, but she knew of loss (she lost her two oldest children and husband to gang wars) and that loss drove her anger and her push for change with looser ethics. I can't imagine New 52 Amanda Waller being able to stand up to Batman and tell him off with no fear in her eyes, able to keep dangerous criminals like Deadshot in line and be an imposing force in government all around. Her appearance was never mocked, never made into a joke - it actually accentuated her force by calling her The Wall. Arrow's depiction of Amanda Waller fell in line with the New 52, but they did it slightly better by convincing me that she could handle dangerous criminals without being threatened by them.

I'm glad DC is attempting to undo the damage with her Suicide Squad movie counterpart being clearly more in line with Ostrander's original, but in the comics it may already be too late for that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Travis343 posted:

I know he's got a superpowered Siri chair now, is he seriously already back in Snyder's book too? Christ.
The siri-chair is in Justice League, which is pretty squarely in its own continuity and ignoring stuff going on in the other books (Bruce being Batman, but also Wonder Woman, Flash and Superman not having their new costumes)

In Batman it's confirmed that Bruce is still alive and is just faking Batman's death while staying out of public eye.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dario the Wop posted:

I'm not expressing my points well (yeah, Morrison and Pak's Superman has been quite good; I'm in the minority on Azzarello's WW). I mean that DC is embarrassed of their characters and try desperately to market them by stripping away elements that made them fun or classic, particularly in movies and TV shows.
That has more to do with Warner Brother Studios, which have a lot of steering in how the movie is produced and the message it sends, and less so the people working at DC Comics. And if you want to blame DC for going darker and grittier, you can blame how well the Nolan Batman trilogy did in WB wanting to continue that direction. Plus if they do movies similar to Marvel now, they're going to be called out for copy-catting. Not fair, but true.

That said, I would say you're not being fair to the shows. Arrow had a rough start, with being Green Batman, but they've already expressed their intent with wanting to make that show a little less heavy on the grit due to how well-received Flash was. Legends of Tomorrow from it's promo video looks like it'll be continuing with Flash's tone as well. The same people who produce those shows are also making Supergirl, which from trailer alone is going to be absolutely nothing like MoS in tone.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Has the sale officially begun? I don't see it listed on their sales page, though I see the header for it on the main page. Hopefully they resolve that soon.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dragonshirt posted:

Is that Zatanna run any good?
The Paul Dini issues, which make up more than half the run, are fantastic. The Adam Beechen issues (12-16) afterward aren't bad, but not quite as good. I say try the first 11 issues and if you want to go on from there then give Beechen a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I imagine big retail stores like Midtown Comics will go for it, but yeesh is that nuts.

• Locked thread