Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
dominion is a fun board game. you can download dominion.NET and play against bots:
http://dominion.technowall.net/

i like talking about strategy, but without iso it's difficult to do anything other than play random pickup games or against bots. anyway, i thought it'd be cool to post a random card every day or so and talk about it. today's card is...

vault!

vault is pretty clearly a great card in most boards and decks. it draws up to 2 cards then acts as a secret chamber, giving money for discards, and even if you get nothing but curses and estates you're guaranteed a 6 card hand. with some mild card draw and good economy this can be easily expanded to a guaranteed 8. it has the side effect of giving some deck sifting to your opponent, but in games w/ vault you're both likely to be going for it, so doing a net reduction of 1 card on your hand is something of a liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
gas

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You are very cool my man.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The uninstall expansion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though Dominion's a bad game because most setups lack interactivity and the optimal strategy is almost always to take the most cards/actions you possibly can, which means there's a lot of sitting around and watching opponents do things. And that's loving boring. At least M:TG has interrupts and the combat phase.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

FactsAreUseless posted:

Seriously though Dominion's a bad game because most setups lack interactivity and the optimal strategy is almost always to take the most cards/actions you possibly can, which means there's a lot of sitting around and watching opponents do things. And that's loving boring. At least M:TG has interrupts and the combat phase.

taking as many cards and actions as you can is a 'newbie trap' and not a very strong strategy at all.

in general, everything in your post is true if and only if you are extremely bad

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

depending on setup that's the least optimal strategy in the game, big money crushes it into the ground and an actual engine does what that's supposed to do but faster and neater

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well good, I played it once and hated it, glad to know I played it wrong.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well good, I played it once and hated it, glad to know I played it wrong.

fwiw that's totally true about every dominion knockoff, which is why they're bad games

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i was going to make a post comparing playing thunderstone to crushing your balls with a rock but i couldn't make it gel. it would have been good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh yeah I forgot Thunderstone, that was awful.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

imagine that the provinces are life points, and that by buying them you are damaging your opponent, and that your coppers and silvers are like goblins or zombies or cthulhus or whatever

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i was going to make a post comparing playing thunderstone to crushing your balls with a rock but i couldn't make it gel. it would have been good

I'm imagining it and smiling a little.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you could also use https://www.playdominion.com/ or table top simulator op, hth.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

you could also use https://www.playdominion.com/ or table top simulator op, hth.
They're working on an un-hosed official client currently and I guess it's supposed to hit Steam when it's released? That might've been some made-up nerd bullshit, but I want it to be true.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobby The Rookie posted:

They're working on an un-hosed official client currently and I guess it's supposed to hit Steam when it's released? That might've been some made-up nerd bullshit, but I want it to be true.

that would be great

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ya its gonna release this summer currently in closed beta

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
relevant:

it's kinda cool to play around with the dumb singleplayer on playdominion and test strategies- i find trashing-focused decks strangely appealing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector is cool.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
my brother prefers thunderstone over dominion which haha whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I thought dominions was a computer game?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Effectronica posted:

relevant:

it's kinda cool to play around with the dumb singleplayer on playdominion and test strategies- i find trashing-focused decks strangely appealing

that frog is cool

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty good card OP, but here's an even better card that goes with it, it's called Tunnel.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ralp posted:

Pretty good card OP, but here's an even better card that goes with it, it's called Tunnel.

i'm getting +1 money for discarding, AND gaining gold? i must be dreaming!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
today's random dominion card is,

pillage!

i have mixed feelings about this one. destroying a single hand can be very valuable in a tight game, and getting two disappearing gold in your deck can help you set up your economy, but the five price point has always seemed steep to me for a one off. there are two cards that can pick out of the trash (graverobber and rogue), but the chance of collision on a board is fairly limited. i'm willing to listen to people tell me i'm a dummy and that pillage is actually a great card, however.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ralp posted:

tunnel is in my top five favorite cards ever, it's so loving fun

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

today's random dominion card is,

pillage!

i have mixed feelings about this one. destroying a single hand can be very valuable in a tight game, and getting two disappearing gold in your deck can help you set up your economy, but the five price point has always seemed steep to me for a one off. there are two cards that can pick out of the trash (graverobber and rogue), but the chance of collision on a board is fairly limited. i'm willing to listen to people tell me i'm a dummy and that pillage is actually a great card, however.

haven't played much dark ages pillage seems like it'd be really strong in a 2/5 open, if you get lucky with the hand destruction you can cripple your opponent's opening and you've got a pretty good shot at converting the spoils into actual gold or useful engine cards. don't really see myself buying it too often thoug

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I thought dominions was a computer game?

You're thinking of Dominions, friend.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

haven't played much dark ages pillage seems like it'd be really strong in a 2/5 open, if you get lucky with the hand destruction you can cripple your opponent's opening and you've got a pretty good shot at converting the spoils into actual gold or useful engine cards. don't really see myself buying it too often thoug

yeah, that's true. as a late game buy it would also let the spoils turn into provinces or duchies, as well as potentially destroying a VP buy on one of your opponents big turns. even more so if they're running an engine and you can break a megaturn. so basically a major swing (6 - they lose a duchy buy and you gain one, or 12 - they lose a province buy and you gain one)

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Effectronica posted:

relevant:

trashing ftw

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not a big Pillage fan for exactly the same reasons already mentioned but I haven't played with it much. However, consider this: an excellent counter to Pillage is having a hand of five Tunnels.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

trashing ftw

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ralp posted:

not a big Pillage fan for exactly the same reasons already mentioned but I haven't played with it much. However, consider this: an excellent counter to Pillage is having a hand of five Tunnels.

"Aaaaaah, the pillar man is forcing Jojo to discard a card, no! But... wait! Impossible, a hand of five tunnels!"

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

use my tabletop simulator mod, y'all http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=302762302

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 1, 2015

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

SM64Guy posted:

trashing ftw

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

"Aaaaaah, the pillar man is forcing Jojo to discard a card, no! But... wait! Impossible, a hand of five tunnels!"

that sounds more appropriate to kaiji/akagi than jojo's lol

also

SM64Guy posted:

trashing ftw

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ralp posted:

I like the way you think.

Will this thread also cover Adventures?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mega64 posted:

I like the way you think.

Will this thread also cover Adventures?

i'm not familiar with it at all, since it's not in dominion.net yet and i haven't bought it, but sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

FactsAreUseless posted:

Most setups lack interactivity is entirely wrong because of how victory cards work.

• Locked thread