Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Spoils are cool but I like Marauder and Bandit Camp better for getting them. I'm not generally a huge fan of cards that trash themselves. Well except for Spoils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Death Cart's pretty sweet.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

My favorite card is Shanty Town, because it has fun timing and interaction properties and it's cheap enough to fit into most decks.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

today's random dominion card is,

pillage!

i have mixed feelings about this one. destroying a single hand can be very valuable in a tight game, and getting two disappearing gold in your deck can help you set up your economy, but the five price point has always seemed steep to me for a one off. there are two cards that can pick out of the trash (graverobber and rogue), but the chance of collision on a board is fairly limited. i'm willing to listen to people tell me i'm a dummy and that pillage is actually a great card, however.

It seems well balanced. You use it mainly to get your strategy going, not as your main strategy. If you're playing without action granting cards or card draw, it becomes much more powerful: Since every card is more important, the attack effect becomes much more powerful, the difference between two spoils and one gold is smaller and the self-trash effect almost becomes a positive.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't like pillage because there's always that one guy who only buys pillages and chains them together every turn just to buy another pillage

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azraelle posted:

It seems well balanced. You use it mainly to get your strategy going, not as your main strategy. If you're playing without action granting cards or card draw, it becomes much more powerful: Since every card is more important, the attack effect becomes much more powerful, the difference between two spoils and one gold is smaller and the self-trash effect almost becomes a positive.

It's fine, but I think one big thing I don't like about it is the price point. I would rather buy any other excellent 5-cost card that will stick around in my deck and make that my main strategy. If Pillage were weaker and only cost 3 or 4 I think I would be really happy with it as a consolation prize when I didn't draw 5 coin.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
today's random card is:

masquerade!

masquerade!

this is a great card, and really fun to play with too. it's essentially a terminal draw card with trashing. however, the trashing has the added element that you're getting your opponent's card as well, so if you pass them an estate and they pass back a copper enabling you to get to a 6 or 5 buy instead of 4 or 5, then you can forgo trashing the copper and take a sudden boost to your deck (and, in technical terms, you've still gotten an estate out of your deck and improved your economy overall).

in the late game this can also mean someone being forced to pass you crucial elements of their deck - although the risk rises for you as well

also, as rare as it might be, Masq is one of the few cards in the game to have a pin associated with it (pins are where you not only win, but also destroy your opponent's ability to play cards)
http://dominionstrategy.com/2011/03/18/combo-of-the-day-24-kings-courtgoonsmasquerade/

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 2, 2015

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

masquerade is really fun in multiplayer games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've got a question : what's dominion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seven Samurai: The Video Game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

way of the samurai

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I posted that in the wrong freakin thread

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I posted that in the wrong freakin thread

uit's still exactly what you're looking for, comrade

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

its a really really good card game thats noncollectible (the box comes with all the cards)

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

its like puzzlestrike but with cards

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I like to play card games that are chill, easy for everyone to learn and have fun with, and involve drinking

How many of these catagories does dominion meet

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
potentially all of them

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm not going to classify dominion's chillness, but i've had people who mostly like casual board games really get into it. also a game typically takes 15 minutes if everyone is skilled and doesn't have AP. maybe up to 30 minutes with new players. adding more players expands the time, but it seats up to 4.

dominion's base set has all of the rules you need to play the game, and each expansion modifies those rules in some fashion. the rules are easy to learn, and you can check out a tutorial at playdominion

you can drink if you want to

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I like to play card games that are chill, easy for everyone to learn and have fun with, and involve drinking

you'll have to provide the chill and the drinks, but dominion works well with them

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

it took a while to click with me but id never played a card game in my life and also im retarded, so maybe it'll be fine

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

The rules are simple and clear and the complexity in the game arises from interactions between simple mechanics. It takes a game or two to get the feel for how it plays. The game is mostly free from rules lawyering and typically cards don't allow you to single out one player, so it doesn't actively work against chillness. It's definitely worth trying out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azraelle posted:

The rules are simple and clear and the complexity in the game arises from interactions between simple mechanics. It takes a game or two to get the feel for how it plays. The game is mostly free from rules lawyering and typically cards don't allow you to single out one player, so it doesn't actively work against chillness. It's definitely worth trying out.

Great, the cardgame that doesn't harsh my mellow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i'm not going to classify dominion's chillness, but i've had people who mostly like casual board games really get into it. also a game typically takes 15 minutes if everyone is skilled and doesn't have AP. maybe up to 30 minutes with new players. adding more players expands the time, but it seats up to 4.

dominion's base set has all of the rules you need to play the game, and each expansion modifies those rules in some fashion. the rules are easy to learn, and you can check out a tutorial at playdominion

you can drink if you want to

you can leave your friends behind

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to try it. Should one stick with the base set at first or is there a Must-Have expansion?

I like that the cards aren't targetted at attacking a single person- that's cool for a group game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm going to try it. Should one stick with the base set at first or is there a Must-Have expansion?

I like that the cards aren't targetted at attacking a single person- that's cool for a group game.

i think the first set is the best starting point. general advice is to go in release order, skipping alchemy. intrigue adds enough new stuff to the game to spice up the base set while still remaining accessible.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
today's random card is,

advisor!

it's a cost-4 lab, with the downside of having your opponent pick one card to discard. depending on the skill of your opponent, your best card. i personally like this one a lot, although it depends on your deck type. if you're loaded up with treasure and haven't started buying vps yet then you're probably going to be drawing to worthwhile hands regardless of what your opponent discards. decks that have a lot of same-ish stuff, have drawing power aside from advisor, or are stocked with money are probably going to do well. if you have a few power cards, then you'll never draw them because they will constantly be in your discard. being able to play a lot of advisors until all that's left in your discard is good stuff, and then drawing that somehow, would be ideal. either way it's a cheap as poo poo lab that you can reliably buy as an opening.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Prosperity is probably the best expansion imo, but it works really well with intrigue. I personally went Intrigue, Prosperity, Seaside - all of these are really good - and now I'm trying to decide whether to go back for alchemy or get cornucopia/hinterlands.

e: what do you mean by 'lab' in the adviser card review? I'm reasonably versed in gameplay but a lot of the dominion jargon whooshes past me. I only just learned what 'terminal draw' means

MindSet fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 3, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MindSet posted:

Prosperity is probably the best expansion imo, but it works really well with intrigue. I personally went Intrigue, Prosperity, Seaside - all of these are really good - and now I'm trying to decide whether to go back for alchemy or get cornucopia/hinterlands.

e: what do you mean by 'lab' in the adviser card review? I'm reasonably versed in gameplay but a lot of the dominion jargon whooshes past me. I only just learned what 'terminal draw' means

Labs are cards like Laboratory from the base set, which give you at least two cards and an additional action.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, lab is an archetype that has a few variations, but in general it replaces itself, but also expands your hand by +1 while also refreshing the action it took. advisor is a lab that costs less at the expense of a drawback.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
thread not about dominions 4

thread therefore not good :colbert:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Das Butterbrot posted:

thread not about dominions 4

thread therefore not good :colbert:

wrong. begone

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
RIP isotropic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Effectronica posted:

Labs are cards like Laboratory from the base set, which give you at least two cards and an additional action.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
today's random card is...

woodcutter!

this is a base set card that's a terminal silver with +buy. it got its own strategy article, back when DS was still doing those:
http://dominionstrategy.com/2010/12/10/dominion-woodcutter/

the conclusion is that woodcutter is mostly not worth it, since +buy is better found in other cards, and almost every terminal silver (except prob chancellor) is better. it comes from the base set, and its main synergy there is gardens, which sort of makes sense if you're going for an early three pile (it gets you half the way to gardens, and gives you an extra buy to expand your garden worth, while also giving you an estate that inches up your score and gives you an easy pile to drain). Don's secret history has a bit about it,

quote:

At some point I wanted another +Buy card in the main set. I tried several things that were Woodcutter plus a small bonus, and the small bonuses kept being too wonky. Finally I went with the plain Woodcutter. Then I swapped it out for a more interesting +Buy card, but Valerie or Dale didn't like that one, so eventually we swapped Woodcutter back in. It's contributing to keeping complexity down in the main set.

In the beginning +1 Buy was written out - "You may buy an additional card this turn." When there was a second one of those cards, I changed it to "+1 Purchase," then "+1 Build," and at last "+1 Buy." +1 Action was also initially written out, but it never had any other name. During development we considered and rejected using icons instead. What do you do for your Action icon? Nothing good, is what I thought. And it's not like it actually simplifies anything. "Action" and "Buy" are text icons. Anyway for those of you who are wondering, why does a Woodcutter get you an extra Buy, that's why - I named that card when it was called "+1 Build," and never thought of changing it later.

so is woodcutter a bad card? it is, sort of, but not totally useless.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that there are boring or lackluster (but not strictly underpowered) cards like Woodcutter, because sometimes that's the only source of +buy on a board that really lends itself to a +buy strategy, and then Woodcutter becomes the star of the show.

I don't like that sometimes there are random kingdoms that, say, don't have any +buy or trashing cards but would otherwise be really interesting if only for that (e.g. Tunnel with no discard :cry:). On the first page someone complained that most boards are bad because they have a degenerate strategy and he's very wrong, but it does happen once in a while. Oh well they can't all be winners out of however many zillion possible board combinations there are.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ralp posted:

I like that there are boring or lackluster (but not strictly underpowered) cards like Woodcutter, because sometimes that's the only source of +buy on a board that really lends itself to a +buy strategy, and then Woodcutter becomes the star of the show.

I don't like that sometimes there are random kingdoms that, say, don't have any +buy or trashing cards but would otherwise be really interesting if only for that (e.g. Tunnel with no discard :cry:). On the first page someone complained that most boards are bad because they have a degenerate strategy and he's very wrong, but it does happen once in a while. Oh well they can't all be winners out of however many zillion possible board combinations there are.

agreed. i can't wait for the steam version of this so i can play it w/ people on a regular basis again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's why you use a randomizer app and eyeball each kingdom beforehand. If it looks like it'd be boring, pick a new kingdom or replace some cards so you can get several strategies open.

Of course, you don't want to tweak every kingdom too much, as otherwise cards like Woodcutter will never get the chance to shine since you'd just replace it with something like Market Square or Hamlet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

has there ever been a good PC version of catan

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mega64 posted:

That's why you use a randomizer app and eyeball each kingdom beforehand. If it looks like it'd be boring, pick a new kingdom or replace some cards so you can get several strategies open.

Of course, you don't want to tweak every kingdom too much, as otherwise cards like Woodcutter will never get the chance to shine since you'd just replace it with something like Market Square or Hamlet.

i typically give each player a veto, and use mine on boring poo poo like chancellor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

has there ever been a good PC version of catan

i don't think so

• Locked thread