Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never understood the "missing portion of the rules" comic

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Greetings, Dominion Comix Guy. I'm a fan.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
rather than do a random card i thought i would highlight a cool strategy,

library and disappearing villages

library (and other cards of the same archetype) are cards like this,

there are a few great things about library. the first is that you can choose to set aside action cards, which means if it's a terminal action (an action that ends your turn) you can shift out some useless actions that you can't play. you could still end up with a lot of green, or a lot of curses, but more than likely you're drawing at least some treasure. you're also guaranteed 7 cards in your hand.

library is awesome as a response to hand reducers (the militia archetype), because you can throw out your junk and then draw up to good stuff. it conflicts with stuff like lab, because you're either drawing to library and increasing your hand size (thereby reducing the value of getting to seven) or you're drawing the labs with library and wasting them.

disappearing villages come in because of how they work,

a disappearing village is any card that doesn't replace itself while giving +actions and some other bonus. festival is the canonical example, which gives +coin and +2 actions and +1buy at the expense of no replacement card. with this combo, you play at least one festival which gives you money and +actions, and then play a library to fill your hand up with (ideally) more festivals and and libraries, leading to a megaturn where you've got a shitload of invisible money, the buys to use it, and whatever coins are still left in your deck. the downside is that this is slow to set up (since it's populated by 5buys and ideally some sort of trashing), but it's also exponential, where once you have the basics you can start getting more and more of the required cards until you're setting it off nearly every turn.

another example is plaza, which is one of my favorites. technically plaza replaces itself, but it gives you the option to discard a treasure in exchange for a coin token (coin tokens can be used at the end of a turn to get disappearing money). you're getting +actions, reducing handsize so that library has a chance to work, but also setting up the +1 or +2 you need to push a 6 or 7 buy into a province.

fishing village is the last one i'll mention, and i think it works the best. it's cheap, at 3. and it's a duration, meaning that it comes back at the start of next turn to give the same bonus. that means that you don't necessarily need to have collision on every hand, and ideally you're starting with +actions on each of your turns.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah festival/library is nice but when i tried it i ended up with a shitload of collision, fishing villiage and plaza probably work way better

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
On a tangent, one of the tricks I always like with "discard for benefit" type cards like Plaza is if you're running an engine that draws your deck, you can get that discarded card right back.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Fungah! posted:

HOLY poo poo

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

PleasingFungus posted:

Greetings, Dominion Comix Guy. I'm a fan.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

just had a game with city, hamlet, and peddler

let the piles burn

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 10, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

just had a game with city, hamlet, and peddler

let the piles burn

lol, sick

call that kingdom "started from the bottom now we here"

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
played a couple games of dominion tonight. highlight of one game was a friend's champion getting jestered on two consecutive shuffles.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
instead of a random card, here's a card i just picked:

sab seems like a great attack at first. you're destroying your opponents good stuff, and gently caress them! however, after playing for a while you might notice yourself losing with sab. this is because it doesn't do anything good to your deck while destroying your opponent. as a five-buy, sab represents a big commitment. this could be a duchy, or it could be an action that improves your deck. sab also gives your opponent a choice. you could be close to the game, and your opponent could turn a forge they were using for thinning into a far more valuable duchy. your opponent can also respond to sab by using +buys to load up on silver. if they're losing a silver it's not a big deal, especially if they have a lot of them. and in the time it took you to get one silver out of your opponents deck, your opponent has taken the time to actually buy worthwhile stuff. the strategy article also brings up a good point, which is that the way the card works means you might just be sifting 0-2 cost cards off your opponent's deck - that's the opposite of an attack!

sab helps you think about the game in terms of points. buying a five cost sab and hitting a province down to a duchy is a three point swing... but so is just buying a loving duchy, and there's no luck to that - you just plain have three more points.

it can become useful as a capstone to an action deck, where you're drawing a lot of cards and then capping off with a sab (maybe), or if you're able to use any action expander to play it multiple times per turn. a king's courted sab, on top of an otherwise solid deck, can be pretty huge (still way too random for my taste though, and you've used a seven buy and a five buy to get rid of (maybe) three important cards, that's assuming that they even connect, which implies multiple sabs in the same deck).

it can also be useful in the case that your opponent has a few crucial cards, or is playing a heavily trashed deck. If they've trashed all of their coppers and estates and are down to a slim economy of golds and silvers, then hitting those each turn will really hurt them. still - not a great card.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
On the other hand, there's also the joy of watching your opponent fall into despair as you trash their Tunnels one by one.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dude I played with used that card that skips your opponents turn a ton of times on me.
I refuse to play this lovely game for chumps again. At least in magic you can counter that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

Dude I played with used that card that skips your opponents turn a ton of times on me.
I refuse to play this lovely game for chumps again. At least in magic you can counter that.

this one?

i think possession is legitimately one of the only bad cards in the game, and alchemy isn't that great overall. that's not really a skip (or if it was you were playing the card wrong), but it's super frustrating to have someone else play your hand, and it makes the game drag on.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Yeah it was that. I guess I'm bad because he looked at my hand and just passed the turn each time. That expansion was a mistake then?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah it was that. I guess I'm bad because he looked at my hand and just passed the turn each time. That expansion was a mistake then?

it's got some cool cards and interactions, but i think it's a mistake to buy it in the order it was released. potions are unique to that set, and the idea behind them is that you get really powerful cards, but that potions weaken your deck overall. possession, even for the enhanced cost, is just insane though, and both players typically end up having no choice but to buy it. alchemy is more fun when you have a ton of cards, and then like 1 or 2 potion cards on board, and you have to guage whether or not it's worthwhile to buy them. a heavy alchemy board would probably be pretty irritating to play.

he was playing the card wrong, however. you still get a turn, but he takes an extra one (with your hand) before you do.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mega64 posted:

On the other hand, there's also the joy of watching your opponent fall into despair as you trash their Tunnels one by one.

lol

but seriously, in one of the statistical analysis that they did while iso was still active i believe sab was one of the cards most heavily correlated with losing

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do Swindler next to compare it to Saboteur

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gently caress swindler

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

gently caress swindler

I used to like Saboteur, and I disliked Swindler because it didn't do what I thought was good about Saboteur. Now I think they both suck.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Possession's nasty but you have to have 6 and a Potion. If you bought a silver instead that'd be a Province. If you're having to rely on your opponent having a better deck than you to reliably gain Provinces with Possession, you may not be in a good position to win in the first place. Then again I've never actually played with the card because it's too drat cruel.

I like Swindler because it makes Coppers even more worthless and can turn key components of your opponents' decks into garbage, plus it actually does something for you so your turn isn't wasted if you hit an Estate.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ralp posted:

I used to like Saboteur, and I disliked Swindler because it didn't do what I thought was good about Saboteur. Now I think they both suck.

see swindler is actually decent enough that people get it (and it's a $3 or $4 i forget so everyone can open it) it's just frustrating as gently caress to play against

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

well, here's swindler. it has a similar idea to saboteur, but it lets you choose an equal number card to change a discarded card into, and it gives you a critical terminal silver in the bargain.

swindler are good opening cards that can get a little to a lot worse as the game goes on.

in the opening hands you have a 7/10 chance of hitting a copper. this does two things: it destroys vital early game economy (turning 4 buys into 3 buys, and 3 buys into 2 buys), and it gives -1 vp.

however, as the game goes on, swindler changes a little bit. specifically, once your opponent starts getting provinces there's typically nothing else to turn those into (one exception that's only recently existed is the guilds' card prince). if your opponent is up and you swindle a province then you've just ticked the game closer to ending without upping your score against theirs. not great.

however, if an opponent is looking for a specific five buy for whatever their deck is doing, then you can swindle that into something else. a deck full of cities can become a deck full of mines. if there's a lovely 3 terminal on the board (like chancellor), then all of their silvers could turn into those. if you can reduce the cost of enough cards to 0 through bridge or highway, then you can replace whatever you'd like with curses. if you can tell what your opponent will have through spying attacks then you have greater choice over what you are replacing (especially since spying attacks tend to be cantrips - scrying pool is very sweet for this)

overall swindler is a versatile card that's tricky to use. it's not quite as powerful as a witch attack, but in some cases can be more powerful since you're not just adding to a deck, but changing that deck's composition against what its owner has built it for.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

swindler can turn 5s into duchies which sucks late game but is really nasty early on

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's also true, although if i think my opponent is good then i wouldn't want to spot them 3 points unless i absolutely had to

another thing i forgot to mention is that swindler is great against cards that rely on other cards (typically VP).

if your opponent is running silk road (or if you're competing for silk road) you can turn their victory points into things that aren't that. you can turn gardens into worker's villages. you can turns dukes and duchies into festivals.

swindler also shines any time there's a terminal buy that's good when there's one in your deck, but less good when there's a lot. one moneylender is a great way to get your early economy started. three moneylenders in the end game when you only have 1 or 2 copper left are just slightly better than curses.

dark ages introduces stuff that pulls from the trash as well. you can throw all of their good actions into the trash with swindler, replace them with poo poo, and then pull that out later (although that's a lot of terminals, so you have to make sure you're set up to handle that). rogue will automatically pull cards of any type from 3 to 6 from the trash, which could be good. especially if the cards are trashing are things that you both want.

dark ages also introduces a somewhat unique twist on this. instead of estates you have shelters, which don't exist in the supply, and have a very rare 1 cost. so hitting these with a swindler is actually a plus. you've trashed them from your opponent's deck, and didn't replace them with anything (arguably anything you would replace them with would be better anyway).

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 16, 2015

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Here's a deceptively good card: Salvager.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihnoz posted:

Here's a deceptively good card: Salvager.

ohhhhh yeeeeeah, that's one of my favorites

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
here are three trashers, including salvager:

the primary card of the archetype is remodel,

remodel introduces the idea of trashing a specific card in your hand and gaining a greater value card in response. unlike chapel, this is a bad card for getting rid of your 0 cost cards, since you're typically upgrading to 2 value, and that's usually estate (although it's gotten a lot better as sets have focused on the lower end of the cost spectrum).

an interesting part of the card is the ramp of estate > remodel > gold > province. the strategy article calls this too slow to be effective, but i think that's only partially right. it's missing the fact that you're typically running this alongside another strategy, so i view it as more of a supplement than anything else.

remodel effectively turns a seven buy hand (like, gold, silver, copper, copper, remodel) into a province hand with a 4-buy alongside it.

remodel also shines on boards where you can flood with gold - like soothsayer and tunnel.

remodel also introduces an interesting strategy that most improvement cards also use: trashing a province for a province. this plays off the idea that your most valuable resource in the game is time, which is measured by piles. if you're sure that you have a lead and there's a single province remaining, then trashing a province in your hand for the last province won't improve your score, but it will insure that you end the game on that turn.

salvager is doing a lot of the same things as remodel, but with the key difference of giving you the cost of the card, and a +buy.

this pays off in the form of letting you exit cards from your deck once you're done with them - for example, sea hags when the curses run out, or barons once your deck density no longer supports them

i like salvager for late-game tactics. as mentioned above, it lets your burn provinces and end the game sooner with a lead. it also lets your turn useful 5-buys into guaranteed cash. so you might have festival, salvager, silver, copper, curse and instead of that being a 5-buy, it's suddenly a province. with a remodel the most you could do in the same situation would be to turn festival into gold or a duchy (which the five value of your initial hand would've gotten you anyway without trashing a card you've spent the time to buy)

both of the above cards work really well with any cards that you can reduce the cost of. peddler is the most obvious example,

if you can chain a bunch of cantrips into a salvager (ideally fitting some sort of other +buy in there, like pawn), then you've gotten the ability to pick up a peddler for free. with peddler now floating around in your deck, its value is always 8 (its value doesn't decrease until the buy phase), so you can always salvage or remodel a peddler into a province.

finally there's possibly one of the strongest cards in the game: rebuild

rebuild is a monster. it's like a mine for your victory cards, and it starts working immediately. this means that you can march through your deck and turn your starting estates into duchies, and turn those into provinces. if you can thin down your deck to be able to hit five buys consistently, then you can load up on duchies and rebuilds and fire one off per turn until you've drained the provinces. it's a difficult card to use effectively, however, since more than likely your opponent will be going for the same strategy, which creates a race for piles. once the duchies are gone, rebuild doesn't give you any way to get provinces unless you have an appropriate value alternate VP on the table, so racing for duchies becomes as important as racing for provinces while still making sure you have the economy to buy more rebuilds to hit them often enough to get to the provinces.

rebuild also dies when you have the victory cards you want to improve in your hand. if you know you have two duchies left, and they're both in the hand with rebuild, then all you'll be doing in playing it is to cycle out your deck.

all three of these cards help to introduce an important part of the game, which are card tiers

there's an intentional design here, and it's important to know what you tend to find on each of the tiers, what the value of those cards are, and how you can move through the tiers to hit the eventual top (either 8 or 11)

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I meant scavenger not salvager lmao. Salvager is still dope.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nihnoz posted:

There's also Forager and I never remember which is which. Salvager was a good mention I thought because it's sort of a Sabotage/Swindler that you use on yourself.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihnoz posted:

oh yeah, scavenger is great. being able to top deck anything that's not in play or in your hand and getting a terminal +2 to build your deck is awesome.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Scavenger + Stash is just sick.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
here's a card in the famous dominion art genre of "chubby man in formal dress staring directly at you"

duke is a great card that points out how powerful alternate VPs are, and how provinces aren't always the best path to victory.

there are 8 (or 12) duchies in the supply. if your opponent is foolish enough to let you run duchies unopposed, that gives you an 8 point victory card (that nets your opponent 0 points if they buy it) for 5 gold. including duchies that gives you a possible max point value of 88 points, and you only need 7 duchies and 4 dukes to outscore someone who's bought every province available.

the other side of that is that you need more buys to do so, and you need to consistently hit 5 while having your deck clogged with 11 otherwise worthless greens. but, of course, if you're not buying provinces, and you're only focusing on 2 piles, that stretches out the game clock considerably, giving more time for a longer strategy like duke to pay off.

all of that is assuming that your opponent isn't also running duke, or isn't buying enough duchies to ignore duke while still loving up your plans.

the best counter to duke if you're not running duke yourself is to gently caress up your opponent's possible score. duchies by themselves are only worth 3, and cutting down the max possible value of duke will cripple their strategy, leaving them with a deck set up to hit 5 instead of 8 and a lot of devalued green.

in cases where both players are going for duke, then whoever gets the most duchies has a huge advantage, and if you split 4/4, then whoever races to the best duke split is the winner. in any case except for a 6/2 split provinces are going to be better than dukes, however, so players also have to consider when to try to win the duke split, and when to give up and just go for provinces.

there are lots of interesting synergies with duke. hoard is great because it offsets all of the green you have to buy. you can rebuild your initial 3 estates into a sizable lead on the duchy split. horse traders makes it very simple to get to 5 buys. count is tailor made for the strategy since it puts duchies right into your hand. feast (and maybe even some on-trash benefit, like market square) will let you rush two piles at once, which is a great advantage against a province strategy. silver flooding is also very effective.

regardless, because of the race nature of a duchy strategy, you have to be sure that whatever you're doing you're doing quickly, since losing the duchy race will cripple your strategy.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Beggar ftw

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihnoz posted:

Beggar ftw

beggar is sick. i like to imagine that i have the most majestic kingdom around, which is nothing but miles and miles of gardens populated entirely by beggars.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
he's a great asset for a duke strategy because, you want coppers for duke rush. But you know, gold would really help too. Well beggar is your boy and he's got you covered.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

played a game with tunnel, dungeon, militia, and vault yesterday, gold drained halfway through the game lmao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i played a game against the computer where i chapeled down to a gold and a silver and then bought a bunch of knights and a few shanty towns and smithies, and then stripped the AI's deck down to its base components and a single duchy. i'm pretty positive that any halfway decent human player would destroy that in a second, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im the dipshit that buys out all the gardens and then loses by 20+ points

• Locked thread