Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate Gardens and someday I hope I can win a game by buying Gardens just to feed them to Apprentice or Salvager or something like that. I don't know if that even works as a strategy but I love the idea of my opponent watching sadly as I shred up the Gardens he needs one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ralp posted:

I hate Gardens and someday I hope I can win a game by buying Gardens just to feed them to Apprentice or Salvager or something like that. I don't know if that even works as a strategy but I love the idea of my opponent watching sadly as I shred up the Gardens he needs one by one.

I guess you'd call that a herbicide strategy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Gardens, but they really only work on certain boards. I think they're one of the weaker alt-vps, to be honest.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you guys think is the second best alt-VP card

I think Farmland is a pretty fun one

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
The best Alt-VP card is Goons.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
If goons doesn't count, that makes Feodum the second-best Alt-VP card. If it does, that makes Feodum the third-best Alt-VP card.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nihnoz posted:

ahhh I forgot about tokens. Goons is fantastic. Hell... Goons are fantastic too!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think that regardless of raw power, feodum is my favorite. it has a ton of cool synergies, and has uses outside of just being an alt-vp strategy (because flooding a deck with silver is a great way to get to 8 on a regular basis)

one thing that i really like is that colony games make you have to reconsider any alt vp strategy, since most of them are statistically geared to match or beat provinces in the right situation, but have a much harder time against a big money rush to colonies.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
feodum's on-trash self-synergy is an extremely elegant mechanic. silver is hard for me to get excited about but I suppose it does enable you to buy basically any other fun cards on the board, they just don't come up as often due to all the silvers.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I like silver better than gold, but I like playing 30 actions a turn more than I like silver.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Farmland were on-gain instead of on-buy you could farm Feodums into more Farmlands and farm the silvers into Feodums :eyepop: or Feoda I guess

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's hard for me to say what's most powerful since they're all so board dependent. gardens seems like the most situational, however. vineyard might be worse since it takes a potion to buy it.

without a doubt goons is the most game bending. it's nearly impossible to not buy goons on a board, but i could see cases where you might ignore the other stuff.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Played a game last night that had colonies/platinum and chapel/market/warehouse on the board and somehow my two opponents went for some weird horde/council room/duke/duchy strategy that was on the board and let me buy eleven colonies

E: council room not chapel room lol

deadwing fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 31, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadwing posted:

Played a game last night that had colonies/platinum and chapel/market/warehouse on the board and somehow my two opponents went for some weird horde/chapel room/duke/duchy strategy that was on the board and let me buy eleven colonies

that's one of the good things about colonies imo

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

i love cards!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Scyther posted:

i love cards!

that's why I play hearthstone

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
after reading the last post on dominion strategy about herald / goons, i've been playing around with that combo in androminion and it's insanely good. i got over a hundred points in sixteen turns one time because highway was on the board too. it sort of falls apart if you don't match the curse split, though.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Is there a mode where you just take a shitload of cards from every set and then play with them? Seems like it would be more interesting than the usual game of looking in 5 or 6 boxes for the Platinum or whatever cards from X expansion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Malcolm posted:

Is there a mode where you just take a shitload of cards from every set and then play with them? Seems like it would be more interesting than the usual game of looking in 5 or 6 boxes for the Platinum or whatever cards from X expansion.

idk exactly what you mean. i've tried a few variants before, including one like a magic cube, where you take a bunch of random poo poo, shuffle it into piles, and can buy whatever comes up in the market row. i've also set up a 10 card kingdom and played with each ten stack having a random assortment - you can only buy what's face up. neither one of those improves the game whatsoever, but they were marginally interesting.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 9, 2015

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I'm just saying the first (and only) time I played the game, there were carefully pre-constructed sets of cards you were supposed to use, even though my friend had like 10 expansions we only used 20% of the cards. That's fine and I get the whole "thematic synergy" thing, but a chaos mode where you just took random cards from all 10+ sets would be interesting, if not fun. Maybe I'll download the computer game and see what it can do. But, eh.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Malcolm posted:

I'm just saying the first (and only) time I played the game, there were carefully pre-constructed sets of cards you were supposed to use, even though my friend had like 10 expansions we only used 20% of the cards. That's fine and I get the whole "thematic synergy" thing, but a chaos mode where you just took random cards from all 10+ sets would be interesting, if not fun. Maybe I'll download the computer game and see what it can do. But, eh.

oh, yeah. the game has pre-set boards (sets of cards available for purchase outside of the core cards and starting hands), but those are suggestions. most people play with a randomized conglomeration from everything they have - all the better if it's every set. what i'm describing is the canonical dominion experience, to me.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
that's also the canonical dominion experience for the entire competitive community and very close to the one the designer uses while testing

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 9, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The "suggested kingdoms" are really just "so you just got this new expansion, here's some kingdoms to let you quickly get an idea of the theme of the expansion and how it interacts with your other sets"

once you know what the cards are about you should be building a kingdom some other way, that's what the blue-backed randomiser cards are for

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Malcolm posted:

using 10 random stacks from your entire collection is literally the default way to play dominion, your friend is a dunce. or was trying to introduce you softly.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 9, 2015

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Well, I usually only concern myself with competitive games like Magic: The Gathering so there's not much time for Dominion, Settlers, Carcassonne and such.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

idk exactly what you mean. i've tried a few variants before, including one like a magic cube, where you take a bunch of random poo poo, shuffle it into piles, and can buy whatever comes up in the market row. i've also set up a 10 card kingdom and played with each ten stack having a random assortment - you can only buy what's face up. neither one of those improves the game whatsoever, but they were marginally interesting.

did you ever try 20 stacks of 5. and uhh I guess 6 empty stacks to end the game?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ralp posted:

did you ever try 20 stacks of 5. and uhh I guess 6 empty stacks to end the game?

that might be cool. mix everything in there, even the core victory and treasure cards.

really though increasing randomness is an interesting experiment, but it makes the game a LOT worse

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ralp posted:

that's going to do so many undesireable things i don't even know where to start

1) gently caress up the balance on power cards that people tend to fight over, grabbing them faster becomes much more important
2) completely gently caress up the balance of cards that rely on cards with the same name. you won't be able to get a good minion engine going. your conspirator engine will have all the buying power of a wet fart. fools gold will be a much worse card.
3) make a lot of engines a lot shittier overall because you just can't get enough of a card to draw it reliably
4) take a lot of the interesting compromise-making away. you'll rarely get a situation where woodcutter is the only +buy or where the only village is squire or shanty town or whatever.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scyther posted:

that's going to do so many undesireable things i don't even know where to start

1) gently caress up the balance on power cards that people tend to fight over, grabbing them faster becomes much more important
2) completely gently caress up the balance of cards that rely on cards with the same name. you won't be able to get a good minion engine going. your conspirator engine will have all the buying power of a wet fart. fools gold will be a much worse card.
3) make a lot of engines a lot shittier overall because you just can't get enough of a card to draw it reliably
4) take a lot of the interesting compromise-making away. you'll rarely get a situation where woodcutter is the only +buy or where the only village is squire or shanty town or whatever.

Those aren't all undesirable things. I think it is obvious that some cards would become far more or less valuable than normal (City and Menagerie come to mind too!), but I'm suggesting it might be entertaining to play a few times as an experiment, not that it's a superior set of rules. If I say "hey what if we try chess but with all the knights and queens and bishops replaced with rooks?" would you say "Ugh! The Sicilian defense wouldn't even work, what are you thinking?"? because that's the whole idea, the same engines and strategies that work in the actual game would play out differently and might not even work at all.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

if you can't tell how blatantly and thoroughly it would gently caress up the game and make it dull and boring and hugely reduce the number of viable strategies i don't really know what to tell you

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that sort of tinkering is fun in concept, and entertaining to try one time, but it's really not fun to ever play again in my experience

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
ive been thinking about a dominion variant where all +card cards are turned into -card cards and vice-versa. this will totally change how cards are evaluated. Could be fun.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
imagine a version of dominion where all of the victory cards are worth negative points. really makes you think.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Nihnoz posted:

ive been thinking about a dominion variant where all +card cards are turned into -card cards and vice-versa. this will totally change how cards are evaluated. Could be fun.

finally Smithy Big Money is beatable :downs:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
A friend of mine who has All The Dominion likes to draft kingdoms in the following way: Shuffle the randomizers, deal 3 to each player (2-3 players only), each player picks one, they're all revealed, discard the remaining cards, repeat a few times. (If 3 people, each of them picks a canidate for the 10th card, then that one is picked from the remaining 3 at random). Friend and I taught a new player Dominion tonight, and after the first game, handed the randomizer stack to me (likes gimmicks and being evil) and clueless newbie to draft a kingdom and went to get snacks. He came back to the following:

Moat, Urchin (Mercenary), Hermit (Madman), Monument, Talisman, Messenger, Death Cart, Golem (and Potion), Jester, King's Court. Platinum/Colony were also added. Things got wacky.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Archenteron posted:

A friend of mine who has All The Dominion likes to draft kingdoms in the following way: Shuffle the randomizers, deal 3 to each player (2-3 players only), each player picks one, they're all revealed, discard the remaining cards, repeat a few times. (If 3 people, each of them picks a canidate for the 10th card, then that one is picked from the remaining 3 at random). Friend and I taught a new player Dominion tonight, and after the first game, handed the randomizer stack to me (likes gimmicks and being evil) and clueless newbie to draft a kingdom and went to get snacks. He came back to the following:

Moat, Urchin (Mercenary), Hermit (Madman), Monument, Talisman, Messenger, Death Cart, Golem (and Potion), Jester, King's Court. Platinum/Colony were also added. Things got wacky.

That looks like it devolves into whoever trashes down to a KC x2 / Monument x3 deck first via Mercenary and Death Cart.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

taser rates posted:

That looks like it devolves into whoever trashes down to a KC x2 / Monument x3 deck first via Mercenary and Death Cart.

I opened by buying a Messenger and giving everyone a potion, which nobody else used. I grabbed a golem later, we all bum-rushed the urchins, I grabbed hermits, some jesters, a death cart, and a golem and did a lot of madmen-mercenary-golem-(mercenary-jester) and started copying money, only one guy bought monuments, and the good player Mercenaried until he had nothing but some mercs and a whole lot of platinum, at which point I kept playing mercs and jesters to slow him down and get my own platinum.

Turns out after we finished the game that you can't actually jester yourself mercenaries and madmen so I accidently cheated outrageously so we'll call it a draw. Good Player kept getting really mad at me Jestering goodstuff out of his deck. Jester MVP.

Your way sounds a lot better.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Archenteron posted:

I opened by buying a Messenger and giving everyone a potion, which nobody else used. I grabbed a golem later, we all bum-rushed the urchins, I grabbed hermits, some jesters, a death cart, and a golem and did a lot of madmen-mercenary-golem-(mercenary-jester) and started copying money, only one guy bought monuments, and the good player Mercenaried until he had nothing but some mercs and a whole lot of platinum, at which point I kept playing mercs and jesters to slow him down and get my own platinum.

Turns out after we finished the game that you can't actually jester yourself mercenaries and madmen so I accidently cheated outrageously so we'll call it a draw. Good Player kept getting really mad at me Jestering goodstuff out of his deck. Jester MVP.

Your way sounds a lot better.

I completely forgot about Messenger's ability, that would definitely throw a kink in the golden deck, so it wouldn't be quite as dominant. Not to mention as soon as it goes over 5 cards, it becomes vulnerable to Jester again, so that potentially weakens it further. Dominion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

taser rates posted:

I completely forgot about Messenger's ability, that would definitely throw a kink in the golden deck, so it wouldn't be quite as dominant. Not to mention as soon as it goes over 5 cards, it becomes vulnerable to Jester again, so that potentially weakens it further. Dominion.

Discard attacks like urchin/mercenary are pretty strong against 5-card decks too

• Locked thread