Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

First off, if you are new to the show and haven't seen the intro yet, watch this. It doesn't give anything of the show away, but is just an awesome intro for a show about tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8NO8R4AI8

Season 2 preview (thanks SpaceAceJase): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBF38GXVzH4

Recap from last season: The Giant is about to be a huge success! Joe can't handle the fact that he hasn't changed the entire face of computing, and torches that which he created. Cameron leaves the company to start creating... CompuServ? Bosworth took the hit and went to jail. Gordon shaved his beard, surprising many people that didn't realize it was the same character. Donna turned down a sweet paying job with Cardiff Electronics to play with Cameron on the phone lines.

The Main Players

Joe MacMillan played by Lee Pace
It has been over a year since Joe MacMillan made his destructive exit from Cardiff Electric and set out on a solitary trek to Fisk Observatory. There, he reconnected with Sara Wheeler, a college friend and intellectual sparring partner who knew Joe before his creative ambition was corrupted by Machiavellian tendencies. They have been together ever since, and Sara’s love and understanding have helped Joe tame his inner demons and rediscover his better, truer self. After sidelining himself for a year, Joe is eager to return to work, but his reputation remains a major hurdle. With few options, he accepts a job offer from Sara’s father, Jacob Wheeler, the formidable chief of a Dallas oil company called Westgroup Energy. It’s a drone job, but Joe’s passion for tech and his knack for the breakthrough idea means he won’t be at the bottom for long. As Joe climbs the ladder at Westgroup Energy, he will re-enter the lives of the people he hurt at Cardiff. And Joe’s struggle to overcome their skepticism won’t be the only hurdle he faces.

Gordon Clark played by Scoot McNairy

As president of Cardiff Electric for the past 14 months, Gordon has been burning the candle at both ends to meet the demands of introducing new products while managing a large company. Now Nathan Cardiff has sold off his company, leaving Gordon with a sizable payout and a lot of time on his hands. With Donna happily absorbed with her work at Mutiny, Gordon feels good about taking on the daily responsibilities of the household and parenting that she had shouldered for so long. He builds a computer workshop in the garage, but finds that inspiration eludes him. Thanks to a Mutiny game, Gordon finally gets his tech mojo back; however, in his eagerness to help Mutiny, he may end up creating more problems than he solves.

Cameron Howe played by Mackenzie Davis

After being put through the wringer at Cardiff Electric, Cameron has bounced back and created the company of her dreams in Mutiny. She and her band of misfits, including Cardiff veterans Lev and YoYo, have built and environment where she feels safe, understood and at peace. Despite its early success, Mutiny is in a precarious position, forever playing catch-up in the race to provide sufficient computing power to its online game players. As she confronts the uncomfortable realities of running a business, Cameron finds an unexpected source of emotional support, and maybe more, in Mutiny’s new coder, Tom Rendon.

Donna Clark played by Kerry Bishé

Donna is energized by her work at Mutiny, where she finally has the opportunity to use her talents to their fullest. However, she also recognizes that Mutiny needs organization if it’s going to survive. She’s alarmed by the way the day to day business is being run – or ignored – and tries to convince Cameron of the gravity of the situation, without much success. When Donna notices that the online chat rooms are increasingly attracting users, she suspects she’s found the key to Mutiny’s future. Cameron is skeptical, but Donna lobbies for a block of time and network space to develop the idea further. Consumed by the concept of virtual human connection, Donna grows increasingly disconnected from her life at home.

John Bosworth played by Toby Huss

Released from prison after serving time for embezzlement, Bosworth isn’t sure what he’s coming back to. Cardiff is gone, his divorce has been finalized, and his relationship with his son is uncertain. However, he does have stalwart support from Cameron; their bond has been deepened by their steady correspondence during Bosworth’s incarceration. Cameron gives him a job at Mutiny, where he wrestles with self-doubt and struggles to find his footing among co-workers who are 30 years younger. But Boz has never been a quitter, and he isn’t about to start now.

:boom: NEW PLAYER :boom:
Sara Wheeler played by Aleksa Palladino

A freelance journalist of keen intelligence and wide curiosity, Sara Wheeler has worked hard to forge her own path without relying on the largess of her wealthy father, Jacob Wheeler. When Joe tracked Sara down at Fisk Observatory, she was in deep retreat from the world, smarting from the discovery that her now ex-husband was a schemer after her father’s money. Sara and Joe fell deeply in love as they helped each other heal, and have begun building a life together. Sara believes in Joe and his potential to do great things, but remains alert to the possibility that he could slip back into his manipulative old ways. And as much as she loves him, Sara won’t put herself in a position to be hurt again.

ballistics statistics fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Same, I loved the first season, but expected it to be cancelled. Was very happy to see they renewed it.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm on board.
Can you put together a better first post? I'd like more people to jump onto this one.

Here's a 30 second promo that'll give us an idea of what this season has in store. It looks like a pretty different show to the first season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBF38GXVzH4

Honestly wasn't trying to make this the official HCF thread, if someone wants to make a better thread I'll close this one

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

The lack of beard is really killing Gary for me. After most of season 1 it's just so odd and makes his face look so bland.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

Antti posted:

I watched like two episodes of season 1 - mostly because of the great theme song, I ended up owning three Trentemoller albums thanks to that - and just let it go. Is it improving enough to try season 2? How bad is it if I haven't seen most of season 1?

I enjoyed season 1, but you could probably catch up by skimming the wiki just to see why some of the characters act the way they do towards each other.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

I only had one problem with the premiere, that was how they just put a couple electrical cords into a neighbors outside socket and powered the entire house again. That much draw on one outlet should have popped the breakers in the neighbors house instantly. I know it's petty, but it just irked me a bit.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

Edited the OP, put a little effort into it.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

I'm just now starting tonight's ep, but I see Gordon's growing the beard back. A good start!

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

So that's where the rule of never putting beta code on live servers came from.

Thought the episode was great, and that panic attack scene was fantastic.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

Tom is the one who sabotaged their network, not Gordon, so it doesn't really matter. Everything about his character and role in the plot has guaranteed he'd pull a stunt like that and if it's not obvious enough refer to Donna and Gordon's deferred conversation about what, exactly, went wrong with Sonaris. Chekhov wept.

That's something I hadn't even thought about, and if it's true then drat. Hopefully next episode we learn for sure or not. My guess is still that it was just Gordon making a stupid mistake, but I would be happy to see that it was Tom instead.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

So with the latest episode, Joe wants to make Comcast?

This Gordon plotline is terrible, feels like they're shoehorning in crappy stories just to keep him in the script for the season.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I don't understand how they got their C64's to talk through an IBM.

The users are using acoustical modems, so they have to talk over the phone system to a big modem bank, right?

So that is being redirected back into the house with the C64's? How? Did they run leased lines?

In that era, IBM was friggen EBCDIC (sic) not even ASCII. Sending even characters between system was a huge pain.

Also Timesharing (TSO) was around in the 70s.

I just have a helluva time watching that show because I lived (worked) through that era and keep trying to sync it.

You're in the same boat cops/doctors/lawyers are in when they watch their respective shows. So many of them can't watch the shows based on their professions because it's such bullshit. TV isn't real, and they make all sorts of poo poo up for dramatic purposes.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

Also was that *REAL* character development from Cameron tonight? I was impressed.

E: The Cameron at the final scene, not angsty Cameron from the rest of the episode.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

Is that legal in the slightest? I could see cloning the software being a grey area, but pointing their contracted phone lines to the new server instead of Mutiny has got to violate some kind of law.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

Capntastic posted:

Gordo being trapped in Cameron's game, not knowing if he should head East or West, was amazing

Wait was that what the entire Gordon plot was this episode? I was sitting here trying to figure out what they were doing with him.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

^^drat, I was going to watch it again and appreciate it/see what I missed. Oh well.

I said it a week or two ago, I just do not care about Gordon at all this season. It feels like they're shoehorning him into the plot just so his character stays around (actor has a contract I'm sure), but it's a really lovely plot. He made and lost a computer company after making $10-20k profit on a pseudo-Dell, but then loses the company. So he throws a little more cash on the giant pile he got in the premier. I don't give a poo poo. And he's got some disease that I also don't care about. I would have been happier if they'd pulled a DS9 Keiko: Gordon gets a job on another planet/state and is gone for 2 years, totally off the show until the character is actually useful to the plot.

Next week is the season finale, and I seriously doubt they're going to redeem the entire boring Gordon plotline. I'm guessing he uses some of his riches that he's just kind of sitting on to fund Mutiny. Also I was really happy he was growing the beard again, his shaved face just looks like another corporate flunkie. Yet here we are again, shaved Gordon. It's nitpicky as gently caress, but he just looks so much better with a beard.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

So Joe got 10 million for his anti-virus company to get started but has no facility, engineers, or product other than one single cure to one single small issue? I thought there was only 1 company that copied Mutiny's data and that was effectively wiped out when Joe infected Westgroup's computers.

Even at the worst of the dot com bubble, startups had at least something to work with. Most of them weren't profitable but they at least had a product that they could hopefully monetize in the future.

I feel disappointed with the finale, there were so many things that just felt wrong. Joe of course. Donna blackmailing Gordon to stay together (marriage is doomed). Boz leaving a guaranteed income to go back to Mutiny, which is about to throw their hands in the air and start fresh on the other side of the country, when he left originally because he was close to retirement and wanted to guarantee his family would be ok. At least Tom didn't show up at the last minute on the plane and rush into Cameron's arms, although I assume if there is a 3rd season he'll have caught the next plane or something.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

ThaGrandCow posted:

At least Tom didn't show up at the last minute on the plane and rush into Cameron's arms, although I assume if there is a 3rd season he'll have caught the next plane or something.

So.

This happened:

Wikipedia.org posted:

In October 2015, AMC renewed the series for a 10-episode third season,[8] which will premiere on August 23, 2016.

See you in less than 2 weeks!

Spacebump pointed it out last year, but the thread was about dead by then.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

Someone do up a Season 3 thread, I work a new schedule and won't be able to watch the show on a regular basis.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

It seems as though they're setting Ryan up to develop the first software crack. That shot of Joe attempting to write some kind of nag screen in BASIC was foreshadowing.

Remember Neverlock?

Where did you get that he was writing a nag screen? He was writing a program to output when Easter was and got an error when he ran it. I didn't see anything other than that when I went back and looked.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

WebDog posted:

Ryan is this season's weakpoint as he feels pretty shoehorned in. But there's a bit of an arching theme going on about the adults vs the kids and the divide between them this series so in some way he's there to have that play out with Joe's arc, such as having him in the board meeting to begin with and his actions in the last episode.

The end of this latest episode made me think that they planned this from the beginning of the season. I'm not sure what was on the drives that he drilled and set fire to vs what he released to the media, but it seems like they planned this from the start of the season. A Joe moment, but from someone else since Joe wasn't able to do it. Once again on the verge of a massive success and millions of dollars, and then... *poof* it's gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

What was the deal with the HAM radio this season?

It was Gordon not having a purpose in life. He was a hardware guy, but couldn't figure out someone else's hardware because he was so focused on finding a purpose for his own poo poo. His own poo poo was old, tech was moving on and leaving him behind. Cameron looked at his stuff and saw where he was missing the point in 30 seconds. He got schooled, loving finally, and was open to new ideas (his network was only a small part of what WWW would potentially come to be). That's why he was open to WWW in the finale, after he was slapped in the face again that his own piddling network that he was an admin of was a single node on what they realized would be the whole internet.

• Locked thread