Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Queen Fiona posted:

This is basically what I was trying to say, yes. At least, to my knowledge - I don't keep up with it that closely, for a variety of reasons.

I dunno. Stuff bugs me about WotC lore in general, I guess? It's probably telling that all my favorite MtG characters are female villains, and also that most of them die horribly in some fashion. (Elesh Norn aside.) But that's more a matter for Debate than the uh...stuff mentioned and such. Then again WotC's D&D team is kind of self-destructing or something, so who loving knows.

dunno enough about magic's ~metaplot~ to know how it treats female characters but the Magic Devs seem pretty concerned with being respectful and apologizing when they offense or hurt some group. I know when they found out they were doing something offensive to Maori spiritualism they took corrective action. Obviously that doesn't stop them from throwing boobplate bikinimail on a lot of their card art, but they're certainly a lot more open to listening to criticism than like.... anyone in the ttrpg scene, including their own D&D wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

If you're looking to do stuff with PBPs with goons, then you should probably get a rundown of the kinds of games played here, which I am determining by the entirely unscientific method of taking a look at games listed on the first couple of PBP pages and thinking of what games my friends have run.

The 800 Pound Gorilla:

D&D 3.5 and/or Pathfinder: I'm not the one to ask, but if it helps, the vast majority of the rules for the latter and the core rules for the former are available for free online. Also, Pathfinder, unlike WotC, has decided to be Not Completely poo poo about queer people.
13th Age: The latest bugaboo in terms of spinoffs, which tries to approach 4e by way of 3.X with a bunch of additional storygaming constructs - characters are en. Combat is abstracted rather than distance or grid-based, It's not perfect, and I wouldn't say it lives up to the hype, but it's definitely a contender, and has the benefit of being made by people who might've actually played/written a non-D&D RPG sometime in their lives. Also has an SRD with most of the content, and plenty of good side content (some official!) free from the thread.
D&D 4th Edition: Do you like fighting? Because if we're honest, that's always what D&D has been about - you don't have the gigantic list of monsters, big arsenal, tons of combat-related rules just because you're taking them for a tea party. Put simply, 4th Edition does combat the best out of any of them - if that's what you want, look no further.
D&D 5th Edition: I plead the fifth on this one. :rimshot: Seriously, though, I'm the last person you should ask about this - suffice it to say there are reasons the thread is a mess and bringing it up results in strong feelings. As a game, people seem to like it okay?
Strike!: Homegrown on TGD, had a very successful Kickstarter. Once an attempt at a pseudo-4e retroclone, . I'm kind of a fan, at least skill-wise, but the prose is very dense and some people might not enjoy how the combat's distilled or the generic, heavy-on-refluffing nature.

The Apocalypse:

Apocalypse World: Quick, stylish storygaming. Not free, but the base classes and moves are, moves being codified methods of interaction, and that should give you some idea of how it plays. Spawned a cottage industry of derivatives that's popular around here. Does try a little too hard a lot of the time, but a second edition is coming out soon that might alleviate that.
Dungeon World: Does D&D ala AW. Lots of people are very fond of it, but it's not terribly similar to AW and keeps a lot of D&Disms your mileage may vary on. It's not my area of expertise, frankly, but it's free if you wanna check it out.
Monsterhearts: Do you like being a sexy monster, but wish you didn't have to deal with all the conspiracy poo poo and creepy crap in White Wolf? This game is for you. A great storygame for romantic and dramatic setups (despite a few problems on my end), but emotions can run high and you have to be interested in the concept in the first place. Don't worry if the high school assumption isn't to your taste - most games end up doing their own thing around here. Queer-friendly by design - like, literal game design and everything. (Also a mechanic I'm super not fond of, holy poo poo) Here are the classes and references, and a thing I recommend you do not play without.

The Other Crap:

Shadowrun: Do you like lists of equipment? This is your game. (Seriously, if you want a fair opinion on Shadowrun, I'm not the girl to ask.)
Exalted: White Wolf's attempt at being Final Fantasy. It does a lot of interesting things, but the rules are a mess and tend to be full of poo poo that creeps people out. Very what-White-Wolf-thinks-anime-is-like. I'm not as inherently hostile to it as a lot of people seem to be, but I'd still never play it - the rules are that bad.
Atomic Robo: A FATE-based game that people seem to favor over the standard variants around here. I've only skimmed it, so I don't know much about it; I'm not 100% fond of FATE, but it seems to be good overall and maybe better than vanilla? I dunno.
Those FFG Games What With The Funny Dice: They're reasonably fun, they have funny dice, people looked at me weird when I was openly sapphic when we played Edge of the Empire in my live group. Good if you like Star Wars or 40k or other things I have basically no interest in whatsoever! still kinda wanna run KOTOR 2 Part 2

There's a lot of other stuff being run, but I'll let other people more familiar (or less snarky) field answers to them. Goon games seem pretty okay if you've got the right game and group, so go to town! Meanwhile, my irrational anger and jealousy over Ewen Cluney was just triggered by learning he made a game based on Metal Wolf Chaos, so I'm just going to quietly stew and try to steal his talent and success with my latent psychic powers or something.

Exalted 2e was crap but even the badly formatted 3e leak is a legitimately better game than most of the crap games you listed except DND4e and Strike! and even though the earlier editions suffered from White Wolfiness it had more diversity in gender and ethnicity and caught the spirit of Anime better than most of the horrible stuff they churn out to this day.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It breaks my heart that "bisexual prostitute-detective" is too long for a username.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

It breaks my heart that "bisexual prostitute-detective" is too long for a username.
bi whore-dick. Done. Synonyms!

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

I-I'm not sure why you'd want to catch "the spirit of Anime" like that sounds like some horrible affliction from which there is no coming back, no healing or hope for the future

like i'm pretty sure you're not supposed to come in contact with anime without adequate biohazard gear and by that i mean a precure snuggie and a breathing mask attached to a tank of nitrous

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
The spirit of anime turned me into the girl I am today. (Well, really, it turned me into a girl full stop, but that's less important.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
So the spirit of anime is...good? Not good? I thought most of us liked anime?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

I joke, but the spirit of anime taught me everything I needed to know in life! It taught me about so many things. It taught me about cooking, animal husbandry, royal succession, Not Backgammon, being a trill teen majokko, farming, relationships, being brainwashed and also gay and also kinda evil, and so much more!

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
Anime taught me that the greatest thing one can achieve in life is to turn others into your playthings. Perhaps not always by shrinking them down to doll size and putting them in a dollhouse with my all-consuming psychic powers, but I think it's worked out for me so far. :h:

I promise never to be defeated by getting licked by a ghost.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

gettin' licked by a ghost is #myfetish

do you want to know what else is my fetish

it starts with 'e' and ends with 'verything else you said in that post ma'am aaaaaaaaaaaaaa ;///////////;'

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I read a manga about a trench warfare maid unit and i was like "that would be a cool rear end thing to run on maid" because i played something like that before.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Queen Fiona posted:

Anime taught me that the greatest thing one can achieve in life is to turn others into your playthings. Perhaps not always by shrinking them down to doll size and putting them in a dollhouse with my all-consuming psychic powers, but I think it's worked out for me so far. :h:

I promise never to be defeated by getting licked by a ghost.

I thought your name was Fiona, not Sabrina? :psyduck:

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

I thought your name was Fiona, not Sabrina? :psyduck:

It's actually Blackarachnia, but that doesn't fit very well on a business card.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

or a driver's license, but terrifyingly dommey gynoid queens don't really *need* to drive so y'know

but oh my GOD the looks at the license bureau

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I read a manga about a trench warfare maid unit and i was like "that would be a cool rear end thing to run on maid" because i played something like that before.

Heck, I'd play it.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Since the thread's been quiet for a few days, I may as well ask something that's been on everyone's mind - what have people been buying in the Anime SaleSteam Summer Sale? (Also, are any of you still doing the clicker poo poo? Because I stopped first-day.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Command Modern Air/Naval Operations. Because I am the biggest grognard. :mil101:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm never buying a PC game again after Dragon Age Inquisition and saved my money to get Splatoon and the Ryu DLC instead.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Queen Fiona posted:

A bunch of helpful suggestions.
Thanks.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Me, I ended up buying Neptunia stuff and the PD2 DLC I hadn't grabbed yet. And then Davin gifted me Shantae and Nicole (the latter of which was sadly Underwhelming), and another friend gifted me Starmade, which I have yet to try.

Davin Valkri posted:

Command Modern Air/Naval Operations. Because I am the biggest grognard. :mil101:

How have you enjoyed it so far?

No problem. :h: I hope you find something that suits you!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

(Also, are any of you still doing the clicker poo poo? Because I stopped first-day.)

I need those cards, lady. NEED. :|

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I have bought Cat goes Fishing.

That's it.

There were a couple I was tempted by - City Skylines and Endless Legend, but my backlog is so absurdly large, that I really can't justify it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

How have you enjoyed it so far?

It's definitely a niche product, but it's pretty great. I still need some practice to not have typical pitched battles end in massive casualties on both sides (the only massive casualties should be on the red side!), but maybe someday I'll have silly scenarios based on Ace Combat missions. Because I'm THAT sort of grognard.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lord Frisk posted:

Tomorrow is FREE RPG DAY. I wish i was super committed to write up all this free poo poo to analyze it.... I'm not. But! you can click on the link and find out for yourself whether or not you want some free stuff. Maybe just show up at your FLGS and spend ten bucks on something to keep them in business.

FREE RPG DAY.

FREE RPG DAY

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

Me, I ended up buying Neptunia

Hmmmmm... lol.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I'm going to my local nerd store tomorrow for the free RPG day, but nobody's running Pathfinder and that makes me sad. I really wanted to try it.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Luminous Cow posted:

I'm going to my local nerd store tomorrow for the free RPG day, but nobody's running Pathfinder and that makes me sad. I really wanted to try it.

Do they not have Pathfinder pickups any other day? Unless your local nerd store is bizarrely not filled with Paizo fans, or WotC partisans or something, I would expect that they run a lot of beginner Pathfinder adventures every few days or something. (Why Pathfinder in particular, if you don't mind me asking?)

With that in mind, I wouldn't be too disappointed. There are a lot of games out there, and it pays to get familiar with a lot of different types; it's likely this is a day where you can play a lot of unfamiliar things you wouldn't otherwise get the chance to.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Queen Fiona posted:

Do they not have Pathfinder pickups any other day? Unless your local nerd store is bizarrely not filled with Paizo fans, or WotC partisans or something, I would expect that they run a lot of beginner Pathfinder adventures every few days or something. (Why Pathfinder in particular, if you don't mind me asking?)

I wanted to play Pathfinder because my roommate dropped the rulebook on my bed the other day and asked if I'd be interested in playing. Since then, I've devoured the book and am itching to roll dice. We're trying to find a GM. Also, this is a small town, with a small gaming shop. The majority of games there are Warhammer 40k and Fantasy. I've no idea why so many people in this town are into miniatures, but whatever. The other gaming shop (owned by the same guy) is more focused on card games, which I don't want to get back into. I'll probably just leave a posting on their LFG board, unless I find a cool group with a cool game to play with. I just want a reasonably cheap nerd hobby. My buddy is coming as soon as he gets off work tomorrow, so I'm just looking forward to playing as any games as I can and hoping I find something cool. I know Iron Kingdoms will have a game, and D&D 5e, and some horror game. Hopefully 13th Age as well.

Oh and there's a Vampire larp and there's no loving way I'm doing that

Luminous Cow fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 20, 2015

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Oh golly, is this thread about the :frogsiren: Ouran Memorial Anime Sale :frogsiren: now?!?!

I'm the worst anime sale because I didn't buy any anime in the anime sale!! I totally did get beloved animes Final Fantasy 13-2 and Selfie (thanks....? I think?, Darkseid Dick Pics!), though.

I joke but I actually really like Rail Slave's aesthetics and I am stupidly excited for FF13-2 so whooooooo

Actually, thinking on it this was kind of a repeat of the last steam sale in that I got the stuff I was most interested in for a better price before the sale even started (D4, Shadowrun Hong Kong, and This Starry Midnight We Make this time, Blazblue Continuumplasmaketoacidosis Extend Ultimax or w/e, Fault Milestone One, and Satellite Reign last December). :v: Less vaguely sketchy Russians and more gifts from personachat and/or hypnochat qtpis this time, though.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Luminous Cow posted:

Oh and there's a Vampire larp and there's no loving way I'm doing that

Don't knock it 'til you try it. I met one of my exes through Vampire, you know. :h:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

V:tM - only kinky sex will follow

(Usually with Blade in the background)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I rented Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and it's pretty fun. I don't know if I would have wanted to buy it, but it's fun. If you have a Mario 3D World file you get bonus levels.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

V:tM - only kinky sex will follow

(Usually with Blade in the background)

She was, all told, pretty sexy when we were doing the VtM thing and other things. That said, she was also...not so great in other areas. I mean, a lot of it was a warped view of the world and out-there beliefs - kinda only somewhat bad on its own, but mix it with her deciding I was the one to save her and talking about moving to Portland and poo poo was...uncomfortable.

Then again, she was the first person to full-stop refer to me as a woman, so she had that going for her, in the end! Mind, ningyou and others were far more instrumental in helping me admit it to myself, so.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I rented Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and it's pretty fun. I don't know if I would have wanted to buy it, but it's fun. If you have a Mario 3D World file you get bonus levels.

I didn't find the Captain Toad levels that fun, except for variety's sake. I couldn't imagine myself buying a whole game around them, unless they've changed up the formula or something. What do you get for buying the spinoff that you don't get in 3D World?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I didn't find the Captain Toad levels that fun, except for variety's sake. I couldn't imagine myself buying a whole game around them, unless they've changed up the formula or something. What do you get for buying the spinoff that you don't get in 3D World?
Super clever level design, lots of cool challenges, Mario 2 style item throwing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's a really cute and comfy game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
thanks for reminding me to buy Scholar of the First Sin (DS2). i was holding out for daily deals but i realized i haven't actually been checking for those at all

Dec 26, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

thanks for reminding me to buy Scholar of the First Sin (DS2). i was holding out for daily deals but i realized i haven't actually been checking for those at all

Looks like they dropped the upgrade price by ten bucks too, before it was a total rip. If it doesn't go daily/flash I'll grab it on the last day.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ningyou posted:

Oh golly, is this thread about the :frogsiren: Ouran Memorial Anime Sale :frogsiren: now?!?!

Goddammit, now I want a Command Modern Air/Naval Operations Area 88 Edition. Thanks, Ningyou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

01011001 posted:

Looks like they dropped the upgrade price by ten bucks too, before it was a total rip. If it doesn't go daily/flash I'll grab it on the last day.

yeah I'll see if the normal game goes on sale for more but if not I'll grab that one since I've had to move computers like three times and apparently even loading up an imported save file in DS2 is enough to get you soft-banned

• Locked thread