Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how GER's power is essentially just an extension of his slow motion life punches and that it ultimately does exactly what Diavolo wanted to do, to influence fate, but the way it influences fate is to just gently caress it up real hard so that Diavolo is supposed to be dead but he isn't so he just keeps getting swapped around as reality tries to kill him over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I forget, did Pucci reset the world once or twice? I wanna say it was twice because I could have sworn that he was trying to use that as leverage during his death, saying that he won't know if the new universe will be an exact copy of the old or not if he gets killed, and then it cut to an insect arriving into the universe again so I dunno if things just reset a 2nd time into a new universe or what.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arist posted:

Nothing implies they do, dude!

If you read it, then it happened.

The future does not retcon the past. The past may be in the past but what happened still happened, no matter how far into the future you go.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think that it would be interesting to compare Stone Ocean's ending to the concept behind Persona 2's two discs.

I'm not gonna write that up but I figure someone here might think about the similarities in those two and thing "oh that is kinda neat how they took a similar concept and executed it differently" and stuff.

Personally, I don't think that the new world lacks fate and gravity, and if anything, I'd argue that the group getting together to go to Cape Canaveral is just proof that fate and gravity still exist, but that things can be different now, after one long series of fight after fight after fight, the heroes can finally rest peacefully and be reborn as new people without the heavy baggage from their previous lives, living once more as new people who are similar to but definitely are not their older counterparts.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Pesci's entire head would be made out of the material some anime dolls use for the boobs

Also that Prosciutto is so good, I want him, he's so great,

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Johnny Joestar's fashion sense came and went with the paralysis

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
King Crimson is the ability to give the universe a collective absence seizure

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

King Superman posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, actually. Since activating King Crimson causes everyone to dissociate, if the range is unlimited, then shouldn't it be causing millions of car crashes the world over every time the "time skip" ends and people snap back all disoriented?

As we can see with Fugo and stuff, if they're not thinking about it, they'll just continue on like they were. It doesn't seem like people even pay it any mind or notice it unless they're specifically looking for it to happen, knowing it'll happen.

So an absence seizure, the kind where you just quickly black out and are back in so fast you aren't sure you ever blacked out and you still managed to do whatever you were trying to do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nephthys posted:

The most important thing about KC's ability imo is that in the event it isn't fully fleshed out next week, nobody in this thread "helpfully explains" or "subtly hints" it to the anime thread ahead of time.

I already did that, nobody noticed though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The joke is that I did not, in fact, do that, and that King Crimson skipped my posting, as he should.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You can always make the argument that since it is the same creature that it shares the same powers associated with it I guess

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't mind the whole "what you see isn't actually the stand, it's the shadow and the true form is a ball that is hiding behind your head that is imperceptible to every other person who also has a ball hiding behind their head at all times" or whatever it was, that was kinda neat

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Have any of the Rohan ovas been dubbed? If not, is it more likely they'd just find another VA to replace Vic or do you think they'd just not release the Rohan ovas at all?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgbBy9hmZjA

This would make a good part 7 ending theme imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how White Snake just shows up right at the beginning of part 6 pretty much so you already have a feel for who the villain stand is gonna be (even though White Snake ends up not being the final stand because of evolution poo poo)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It bothers me more than it should that the anime thread is talking about the time skipping power when I don't think it has been made clear yet that that is what King Crimson does

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fat and Useless posted:

He's so jazzed!

Eh

My bad, I didn't realize he mentioned skipping, I thought he'd just mentioned the epitaph stuff with how Bruno was able to reach out and hit "himself" in the future. Sorry. Only explanation is that I'm dumb and completely missed when he said that line.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe Dragon's Dream will finally make sense.

Dragon's Dream is just Final Destination, but instead of "fated to die so death is creating rube goldberg machines to kill people" it is "good feng shui zones and bad feng shui zones exist and rube goldberg machines protect those who are in the good zones and hurt those in the bad zones"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arist posted:

Dragon's Dream isn't complicated so much as it's just loving stupid.

Why is it stupid

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arist posted:

It's dumb because the fundamental concepts are not very well established or developed, and it all feels terribly vague and arbitrary. The concept of "zones where good poo poo happens" and "zones where bad poo poo happens" is a fine idea for a Stand, but which are which feels random in the middle of a fight.

That's feng shui for ya, while also being an accurate description of final destination. Just being in a different seat can mean you survive or die.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That fight reminds me of the under execution under jailbreak one-shot Araki did. That was a good one-shot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

there's already so many stupid King Crimson Explainer videos that are full of spoilers. we haven't even seen the broad strokes of how the ability works until this friday's episode. i saw one that said (no spoilers) and i hovered over it and saw diavolo's full design. why are people like this

I stumbled across this vid on youtube when I was looking up the kira vs jotaro/koichi fight

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Diavolo desperately wants to be not human. He wants to be the force that is fated to control everything, something that everybody must adhere to and knows exists but cannot fathom at a physical level or interact with directly.

Diavolo is best described by comparing everything he is to what DIO isn't.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

DIO is a compelling antagonist while Diavolo isn't, checks out.

Diavolo isn't compelling imo mainly because we don't get to see enough of him because of what his ideals are.

DIO wants to control the world, but he wants to exist in that world as the only one able to move within it, able to have control over the entire universe at one specific time. Diavolo wants control over everything at all times but without having to directly interact with it like DIO does.

Essentially what I'm getting at is that Diavolo, while a weak villain compared to other much greater main antagonists in JJBA, still has some strengths. It is just that to get to those strengths, you have to work backwards from Part 5 being an inverse of Part 3. It's like how sometimes you have to solve a math equation by figuring out what a variable isn't so that you know what the variable is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Silver Chariot Requiem, which is based not on Freaky Friday, as one might assume, but on Amadeus. Seriously.

How so, in what way?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't forget the prison warden being a lemon

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think I've becoming a Diavolo apologist

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean, he's pretty okay. i think he has some better high notes than pucci, for example. pucci is more consistent though. diavolo is just kinda screwed by the part itself and that crappy ending.

I think what he suffers from the most is that he already had his goal for the most part and his goal was to be as close to being a nonexistent all-powerful being as possible so instead of getting to see him strive for the power even further like you would with Pucci or Funny Valentine, you're watching him strive to maintain that power and lifestyle he currently has like Kira, but Kira's lifestyle is inherently more presentable than Diavolo's since the idea of Diavolo is that you don't know poo poo about him and if you know poo poo about him then you've already undone him. You can see how Araki attempted to redo this kind of character motivation with Pucci and Funny Valentine and those two are far more prevalent and noteworthy in their own parts.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Where the gently caress is Mortimer!? Fucks sake, if there's no Mortimer then this poo poo ain't Gisnep!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I saw a book at barnes and nobles, I forget the name but I think it was called "100 manga artists" or something like that. Decided to leaf through it to see if araki was in it, he was, and the pages they included were one page of star platinum doing some stuff from part 3 and another page that was jolyne about to be killed by made in heaven while emporio was screaming and man that's a hell of a page to shove in there lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think that Jesus' power to bring all good things to a localized area and push all bad things to another area is inherently an evil power, it's just clearly terrible when used by someone who would twist such a divine power that could provide good for the entire planet into one that provides safety solely for himself and his own position of power entirely at the expense of the meek who should properly inherit this ability and the lands that it creates.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arist posted:

There is inherently no good way to use that power because all that bad explicitly has to go somewhere. Yeah maybe it all gets shuttled to a planet of Nazis but you can't know or control that, and unless you have a "deserving" subject you're just inflicting harms that are by all rights your own on other people.

Bring it onto yourself or use it to send the bad to a designated barren place that will not have any effect on life or nature as we know it.

As opposed to using the power of Christ to cause wanton uncontrollable destruction in foreign countries

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has Araki ever gone into how he designs the various villains from different parts, how he gets his inspiration for their designs?

Basically I am convinced that the fake Captain Tennille is Araki's take on Tom of Finland's art but I have absolutely no way of proving that and it is all just conjecture but I am curious if Araki ever went into his inspirations for any of part 3's villains. I know he has cribbed from other media before and that Jojo is kind of a big melting pot of whatever pop culture stuff Araki likes mashed together and mostly smoothed out and I feel like chances are he is probably familiar with Tom of Finland's work.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

There should be a stand named Jocko Homo. I don’t know what it would do though.

Not turn everyone into snails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yinlock posted:

i'm glad mista is immediately trying to shoot nothing at all

His target's right there though, a little back and to the left of Trish